PDA

View Full Version : He's Too Dangerous to be Left Alive

Imperial Monarche
07-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Strangely, my wife noticed this, and she's not a big fan of SW. At the beginning, Palps tells Anakin that Dooku is "Too dangerous to be left alive." Anakin takes the bait and kills Dooku. Fast forward about an hour and we arrive at a very similiar scene: Mace has Palps pinned down with Anakin now the spectator. Mace tells Anakin that Palps is "Too dangerous to be left alive." But, this time, Anakin reacts differently. Is it because he has always had more of an alligence to Palps then to the Jedi?

JetsAndHeels
07-21-2005, 06:18 PM
It's because Palps has manipulated Anakin into thinking he has the power to save Padme. The Chancellor played on Anakin's fears and used them to get what he wanted, first by saving him from Mace, then by killing the Jedi in the temple, and then eliminating the separatists on Mustafar.
Don't forget that Anakin is in a tough spot anyway because the Council wanted him to spy on Palps (who he has always trusted).

Kidhuman
07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with JF, Palps manipulated him to no end. He completely mind-****** him. Mace shouldnt have said anything and just gutted him

Sith Lord 0498
07-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Anakin was looking a reason to kill Dooku. You could see it on his face and in his eyes when he caught the saber and placed both blades at Dooku's neck. It's just like Palpatine said: "He cut off your arm...you wanted revenge." Palpatine saying that Dooku was too dangerous to be left alive only enabled Anakin's decision.

When Mace says it, Anakin could care less if it's true. He's only thinking about himself again--a true Sith.

2-1B
07-22-2005, 01:56 AM
After Anakin gives in and decaps Dooku, he says he shouldn't have done that because it's not the Jedi way.

Fast forward to later in the movie when he sees Mace do the "same" thing, and it casts doubt on Mace's intentions, makes it easier for Anakin to take that final slide to the Dark Side.

X13VADER
07-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I Thought It Was Strange That Mace Wanted To Do The Same Thing. If Its Not The Jedi Way Why Was He Thinking About It. If He Is Top Jedi Then Anyone Could Fall To The Dark Side If The Situation Was Right.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
I think Caesar hits on part of it and Jango and kh hit on the other half. It is though interesting that the same line is said from each 'side' only an hour or so apart.

2-1B
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
X13Vader, Mace Did Plan To Only Arrest The Chancellor But After Battle And Lightning, He Decided That They Could Not Take Any Risk Of Leaving This Dangerous Man Alive And In The Hands Of The Senate He Controlled.

Darth Spectre
07-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Both Palpatine and Mace meant what they said when they delivered those lines, they just of course had different reasons to say it. Dooku was dangerous alive, for Palpatine. A captured Dooku would almost assuredly have revealed the truth about him & his plot to destroy the Jedi & Republic. Mace knew Palpatine was too dangerous to be kept alive if the Republic & the Jedi were to survive. Keeping Palpatine safely guarded alone would have been a problem, but the fact that he did control the entire government basically did not increase the odds that Palpatine would be found guilty. Plus, having witnessed Palpy's "innocent" act in front of Anakin, Mace knew more of the same was to be expected if there was a trial of some kind. Mace wasn't turning to the Dark Side, he just was willing to take drastic action for the sake of the Republic and his own order. That being said, Mace did probably have more darkness in him than a lot of Jedi, especially since even his own fighting style of Vaapad was developed as a way of dealing with the darkness within himself.

Anakin was too selfish, too afraid & just simply too stupid to see through the lies of Palpatine. And as it was pointed out, deep down... Anakin had no problems killing Dooku. It was just that he was helpless at the time that made him feel bad momentarily.

scruffziller
07-24-2005, 04:59 AM
I think Caesar hits on part of it and Jango and kh hit on the other half. It is though interesting that the same line is said from each 'side' only an hour or so apart.

Could this have been GL's ploy at some propaganda? To establish the validity of the "point of view" statement. That the same observation can be made from both sides. And that evil or good can be labeled on anyone?

Darth Spectre
07-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't think so. Lucas does seem pretty clear on what is evil & what is not. The Point of view idea was expressed by Anakin's "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil" statement at the end of the movie, along with Obi-Wan's appropriate response "Then you are lost." Also, Palpatine tries to make that evil is only a point of view thing earlier when he is talking to Anakin. But we aren't supposed to buy it. Coming from Palpatine of all people, we know this is just a ploy, a con. And that is what Lucas wants it to be. Nothing more than a ruse. Evil is evil, and especially in the SW universe, there isn't much middle ground about it.