PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Pilot Figure #56 Reviewed

Tycho
07-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I just got a figure I really, really wanted.

This is going to be a favorable review.

Here is the Super-Articulated Obi-Wan Kenobi figure we always wanted - with NO action features!

He comes with every conceivable point of articulation and even a bonus waist "sit up / crunch" point that lets him sit in the starfighter cockpit a bit better.

The detraction? - The molded Jedi robe. It's 50-50 whether softgoods would totally be better.

I scrunched the robe (only barely) to get Obi-Wan in the cockpit of the starfighter while wearing the robe. He looks incredible! See Picture.

However, his arms do not come out the sleeves. He can't be posed like the Naboo Obi-Wan of Episode One's collection. You can have him posed like he's half out of his robe to use his lightsaber with the cloak on.

With the cloak off, he is the perfect Obi-Wan figure.

I strongly recommend they use this body sculpt to re-release any AOTC or TPM Obi-Wan figure for Jedi Duel action. Softgoods would make it perfect if the robe could be cut out of good material that fits right.

An articulated plastiform cloak would rock even more (plastic cloak with arm-motion ability wouldn't be that hard for them to make - put the cloak arms on seperately from a vest like robe, but give the overall impression of a Jedi cloak - or just have interchangeable arms...)

Anyway, I'm very happy with this figure. Obi-Wan comes with his lightsaber and pilot headset (which is carded separately from the figure).

He also has a Non-Ignited Lightsaber hilt which can hang from his belt - or be used on the Millennium Falcon Power of the Jedi figure!

plasticfetish
07-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Very nice Tycho. (Nice day of shopping for you there also. ;) )

Well... it looks like a good figure, maybe the best Obi-Wan figure yet, but I'm still a little dissapointed with the big rubber robe. I tend to like soft-goods more (in theory anyway) and it all has to do with the figure being able to sit, pose freely, etc. with the robe on.

Suppose I'll just have to wait 'til I see one in person...

Slicker
07-24-2005, 04:51 PM
It looks like a good figure if he's just standing there but he's supposed to fit in the cockpit of the Jedi starfighter so why would they give him a molded cloak instead of a soft goods one? I'm not the biggest fan of soft goods but sometimes it's necessary to do if you want to pull off the right look.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2005, 06:33 PM
The headset comes off, right? What are all his artiulation points? And as an aside, this is figure #55, and all the lists were wrong (he switched with the Mustafar Sentry).

Tycho
07-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Articulation:

head
shoulders (standard + ball joint)
elbows (bending and twisting)
wrists (twisting)
waist (standard)
stomach (crunches, like Luke VOTC, but not as bad)
hips (standard)
Knees (swivel, bending)
ankles (swivel, bending)

So that's 23 points of articulation or something if you count points plus style of articulation x both arms or both legs.

I'd say the figure is comparable but improved upon from OTC Jedi Luke.

JediTricks
07-24-2005, 09:21 PM
The figure looks great, my friend Rick sent me a photo of his out of the robe and sans headset: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=14043&cat=2125

Even the likeness appears to be very good.

That robe doesn't look good at all in the cockpit though, I'm glad I bought a few of those clearanced Ep 1 accessory sets with the cloth robes in 'em, as well as an extra Ep 2 Obi-Wan Pilot (who DID come with a soft-goods robe).

Battle Droid
07-24-2005, 10:26 PM
hips (standard)

Would've been nice if they were ball-jointed, then it'd be perfect.

Blackened88
07-24-2005, 11:37 PM
He is one awesome figure, if only they would've released him as number 2 instead of one of the final figs.

plasticfetish
07-25-2005, 12:48 AM
He is one awesome figure, if only they would've released him as number 2 instead of one of the final figs....if only this was the pack-in figure for that Starfighter that's coming out next.

Darth Alex
07-25-2005, 01:33 AM
The figure looks great, my friend Rick sent me a photo of his out of the robe and sans headset: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=14043&cat=2125

Even the likeness appears to be very good.

That robe doesn't look good at all in the cockpit though, I'm glad I bought a few of those clearanced Ep 1 accessory sets with the cloth robes in 'em, as well as an extra Ep 2 Obi-Wan Pilot (who DID come with a soft-goods robe).

Thanks for posting that. I HAVE to get this figure now-that is a great sculpt and the articulation is EXACTLY what I would have hoped for, but never actually expected to get.

Jayspawn
07-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I just saw some detailed pictures over at GalacticHunter.com. I sooo gotta have this figure!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Wow, this looks amazing! Too bad I'll probably never see it around these parts.

ROTJLuke
07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for posting that. I HAVE to get this figure now-that is a great sculpt and the articulation is EXACTLY what I would have hoped for, but never actually expected to get.

Yes this figure is the epitome of Ep. III Obi Wans. Likeness is awesome, articulation outstanding, and the accesories are accurate. I actually sorta like the big shell cloak, its a neat idea. Im def. getting 2 or 3 or these, I cant wait till they start hitting in my area! :) Great review too!

AmanaMatt
08-03-2005, 01:12 AM
This is my fav Obi Wan fig of all time - near Votc quality....I do not mind the robe, personally - just not for the cockpit.

Great review.

plasticfetish
08-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I do not mind the robe, personally - just not for the cockpit.Now that I've found one of these, I'll say that I agree. It looks pretty cool posed with the robe on and the lightsaber hanging from the belt. It sucks for play value with that robe on, but with it off it's easily the best young Obi-Wan figure yet. The articulation is awesome.

This figure really should have been "it" for Obi-Wan figures from ROTS. We didn't need the others. (This one should be the pack-in for the new starfighter also -- not that I've seen one of those.)

ROTJLuke
08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Agreed, this Obi Wan is def. awesome. :)

Qui-Long Gone
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Wow, this looks amazing! Too bad I'll probably never see it around these parts.

What parts are you in? Here in West Texas I've found 6 in one week at the same Walmart....couldn't believe it, they had two more this morning, along with all the other new lines? They had figures burrried away near shampoo away from the toys section....:rolleyes:

You need to get one of these.....this is one of the best figs yet...I thought about picking up some more just to spread the wealth....Brian's Toys seems to always run out these days....have you checked them out?

http://www.brianstoys.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=1812

ROTJLuke
08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Brians...good ole brians. Ive only seen 2, which I immeaditly grabbed. I checked around for nething else, nuttin, but Obi was the figure I really wanted most. :)

Adam
08-13-2005, 10:00 PM
I skipped on this toy early today, because I couldn't tell what his articulation was like...

But after seeing pics hearing reviews, I had to go back from him. Luckily he was still there. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I picked up this figure on Friday, an amazing figure with a fantastic likeness, nearly perfect. The articulation is so good, the torso rotates and moves back and forth - if it allowed for sideways tilting it'd be perfect; also, they need to start using universal-jointed hips. The head capturs the essence way better than any other, the small eyes really make it seem realistic. And then if that weren't enough, it looks great sans robe in the cockpit of the Jedi Starfighter. A must-have figure, I have another on the way from the hasbrotoyshop it's that good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2005, 06:19 PM
I found this figure in Nebraska (I live in Colorado) and it is really great. I can't tell if it's just my imagination or what, but it seems like they actually sculpted the mole on his forehead! That's crazy! Whoever sculpted this figure needs to do all the others as well and fire all the other sculptors! :D

Jaff
08-15-2005, 12:07 AM
I happen to think this ben is the best of the wave. I just love the sculpt and his casual look. Too many figures have their arms and hands locked in a pose. It's really cool to just have a suave looking Obi. It would be nice if they did this with Anakin. The evolution Anakins cape looks like a tent.

ROTJLuke
08-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Yea this is the definitive version of Obi Wan from ep.III, I love this figure and Im glad I actually found it

Umbra
08-31-2005, 02:08 PM
I love this figure, however i noticed when I opened it and put it up with my other figures, he seems noticiple short in comparison, is it just me?

JediTricks
09-01-2005, 04:26 AM
He's a hair shorter than Obi-Wan #1, barely noticable, but taking that one out of the equation I think he doesn't look short with my ROTS figures at all.