PDA

View Full Version : Aye, the heat, it's a getting to me!

bobafrett
07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
I just looked out at the temperature gauge here in my town in a subarb of Chicago, and it's reading 104 degreees. My house only has one room with AC, and that is my son's room. I know much of the country is under a heat wave. How is your corner of the world?

Slicker
07-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Right now in Virginia Beach it's not too bad it's only 82 degrees but the other day it was near 100 with a heat index of 115. Being on the ocean it's erally humid here.

bobafrett
07-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Ran out to get a picture for the he** of it.

JetsAndHeels
07-24-2005, 05:31 PM
It's been pretty rough here in NC too. The average daily highs here have been in the 90's, and tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be over 100 (not counting heat index, that is the actual high).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Where I live in Western New York state, it has been a summer of heat too. While we don't have it bad as most of the country, it still has been a scorcher this summer. The city of Buffalo averages two 90 degree weather days per year, and this year they have already had nine. The heat of course is tolerable if you have low humidity, but it has been humid and sticky for most of the summer, making the heat near unbearable. It doesn't help that the vent for the AC in my bedroom, is in the closet.

A good friend of mine just moved to Chitown BF, but he has to travel regularly to Phoenix--the gateway to hell he calls it, because of the record heat that they are having. The overnight low for one day last week actually was 91 degrees. :eek:

Ji'dai
07-24-2005, 11:11 PM
These past two weeks have been sweltering with high temps and humidity. First I thing did last Monday morning was dig out and install my small A/C in the bedroom. I had been sleeping on the living room couch but that was getting old fast. Normally the big wall-mounted A/C cools the whole house but the bedroom was a little stuffy.

I've been home working outside all this week too and I am practically drenched after just a short time out there. I bet I put away a few gallons of ice water each day and end up sweating most of it out.

Still, I've finished all the yard work I set out to do this week so I can take it easy until the humidity breaks. Hopefully that'll be soon. I'd like to clean out and reorganize the garage plus take everything out of my toy storage shed so I can spray for bugs and replace the mouse poison. Oh, and I need to get those units in the south range repaired by season end or they'll be hell to pay...

Kidhuman
07-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Been hot as anything here. Upper 80's and 90's for two weeks. Even hotter at my job.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah, we've been in the mid 90's in Ohio and even had a heat advisory since last week. It sucks at work though because back in electronics, we have 30 TV's, all going constantly and it just adds to it. The humidity is nuts too; the minute you open a door you're immediately sweaty. Oh well it IS July though, this is to be expected. Everybody remember to drink lots of fluids and check on your kids and elderly folks. Cheerio! :crazed:

scruffziller
07-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Yea it has been rough here in Iowa too. Temps always in the 90s and humid. It has been difficult for me because of my walking program and I have now upped it to 3 miles instead of 1.5 miles. It is good to catch an early morning walk when it is only 77 degrees and the sun isn't out. Or have it to be cloudy. As long as the sun itself isn't bearing down on you. It makes a big difference. And even if the heat itself isn't really bothering me, it makes walking difficult, physically moving anyway.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Michigan has been just as bad as most. Yesterday, the heat index was well over 100, prompting heat advisories for most of the lower peninsula. Today is supposed to be at least as bad. Thankfully for most, a cold front is coming through tomorrow and dropping temps into the low 80's/upper 70's for at least a solid week.

On a sad side note, air conditioners aren't allowed at my apartment complex. :cry:

scruffziller
07-25-2005, 08:47 AM
On a sad side note, air conditioners aren't allowed at my apartment complex. :cry:

WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!:eek: Why the heck not?! That is an infringement on your well being. I would find somewhere else to live. I lived in my apartment the first 2 years without AC and it was horrendous!!! In a brick building and on the 3rd(top) floor. I was able to save up enough money to get an AC unit in 1998.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2005, 09:05 AM
It's part of the joys of living on a college campus :rolleyes: It really sucks. Oddly enough, the maintainance "apartment" has AC installed. Go figure. The only thing I have going for me is that the walls are brick and it has tile flooring, so it stays relatively cool (but it's still hotter than f**k in there).

InsaneJediGirl
07-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Its hot here too,93 with the index going to 105ish.I expect no less living in the South,but I'm waiting for winter to come.The only good news is the "cold front" expected to bring temps down to an amazing 85 by the weekend :crazed:

kool-aid killer
07-26-2005, 10:33 AM
We are getting a break here in Nebraska, over the weekend we had temps that were slightly over 100. Yesterday we had a high 90 number but around 6 or so it started to rain so it really cooled down and now for today we are looking at 70 degrees. Hopefully this break in the heat helps those who had to endure the heat catch some rest.

CaptainSolo1138
07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Same in Michigan as it is in K.A.K.'s corner of the world. This past weekend was a b**ch. It was well over a hundred with the heat index. Today is rainy and 75-ish. It's kinda nice for a change.

scruffziller
07-26-2005, 02:44 PM
65 degrees here WOOHOO!!!!!:)

Slicker
07-26-2005, 03:04 PM
65 degrees here WOOHOO!!!!!:)Where is here Scruff?

In Virginia Beach today it's gonna hit 100 with a heat index of 120 or so.

bobafrett
07-26-2005, 06:19 PM
We have a strong line of Thunderstorms working through the Chicago area at the moment. It is supposed to bring a much anticiapated cool front with it. We also are in dire need of rain. We have had a long dry spell here, and the rain would only last a minor few minutes at best, hardly enough to even water the grassy areas. My lawn has gone brown, because I simply cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars to keep it watered and green.

Kidhuman
07-26-2005, 11:25 PM
WOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO 88 tomorrow for a high

JimJamBonds
07-26-2005, 11:33 PM
In my neck of the woods in Wisconsin the high was around 80 after it being upper 80's/90's+ all month. Right now its 63... lets see where did I put that electric blanket? :confused: :D

scruffziller
07-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Where is here Scruff?

In Virginia Beach today it's gonna hit 100 with a heat index of 120 or so.

Mid southern Iowa. 15 miles directly south of Des Moines.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Oh, thank the maker! With a cool front that came in last night, the temperature has REALLY dropped. It's only about 67 here, still semi-humid, but still quite lovely. It's the first time we've had the AC and fans off in the house for over a week.

bobafrett
07-27-2005, 12:22 PM
It was quite comforatable sleeping last night. Unfortunately I had to get up at the Gawd awful hour of 6 am to get ready for work, cause it was so comfy in my bed.

2-1B
07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Sunny and cooooool today, nice cool breeze and this is 2 straight days of nice weather. Thank the maker, this oil bath is going to feel so good !