PDA

View Full Version : List of Padme figures we are lacking.

Tycho
07-24-2005, 06:47 PM
TPM:

Queen pre-senate (Palpatine's office), yellow. "I think we are going to have to accept Federation control of our planet for some time."

Queen Post-Senate (also Nute's arrest): "Now Viceroy - you're going to have to go back to the Senate and explain all this."

Queen Purple Travel Gown, Return to Naboo. "We will take back what's ours!"

AOTC:

Senator (Palpatine's office): "I think that Count Dooku is behind it."

Nightgown / balcony: "You had a nightmare...."

Packing for Naboo: "I do not like this idea of hiding!"

Traveling to Naboo / Queen Jamilla's court: "Suddenly I'm afraid."

On the freighter "Are you allowed to love?"

Kiss by the lake "I shouldn't have done that"

In the meadows "You're making fun of me."

Black Temptation "We live in a real world. Come back to it!"

Lars Garage "Annie: what's wrong?"

ROTS:

Hair in buns, Palpatine's arrival: "There were whispers that you'd been killed."

Nightgown: "I can go back early, fix up the baby's room."

Head piece: "Ask him to stop the war and let diplomacy resume."

After Obi-Wan's visit / Ruminations: "They trust you with their lives."

After Order 66, blue dress: "Anakin: what's going on?"

Senate: "So this is how liberty dies: with a thunderous applause!"

Obi-Wan's visit, "I can't."

Birth of the twins - all white medical sheets. "Obi-Wan: there is still good in him."

Funeral - blue dress - I think this one is different from the other.

There are deleted scenes Padme figures which I didn't list, as there's enough from the movie already. I think almost all of them would make the best figures.

JediTricks
07-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I thought the Ep 2 Tatooine Padme with removable cloak was the one you described as "Lars Garage".

However, look at your list, none of those are action characters, I think that's part of why Hasbro is hesitant to do 'em. They're not even particularly businessy - it was easier for them to do Leia figures because she hardly ever changed her outfits in the OT, her ANH dress was the same in the prison as it was on the Tantive and on Yavin until the final ceremony, from strategies to spying to adventure; by contrast, Padme changed her outfits every time a fly flapped its wings near her (nearly almost every scene, sometimes just a few lines of dialogue and then it was onto the next outfit) and very few of those scenes are action-oriented or even particularly dramatic.

Battle Droid
07-24-2005, 09:56 PM
I'd like the deleted scene one's to, exspecially the peacock dress.

Darth Alex
07-25-2005, 01:18 AM
With the detail and beauty in the costumes, we should get a Evolutions set with cloth outta the deal. There is a lot more that can be done with ol'Padme and I really never saw any of her figures pegwarm in my neck of the states.

Kidhuman
07-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Darth Alex has the right idea. Make them an evolution set. Pick one from each movie and go with it.

Darth Alex
07-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Darth Alex has the right idea. Make them an evolution set. Pick one from each movie and go with it.

Thanks for the note.
Remember the old axiom-female figures sell.
It's true!

Tycho
07-25-2005, 02:07 AM
We have several theories here:

Hasbro is loathe to do non-action female figures.

Female figures always sell well.

These theories appear to contradict each other. So which is it?

Zam Wessel complicates both theories as well.

The EVOLUTIONS set is a great idea many of us have suggested before. Only 1 Evolutions set won't cover the long list of possible figures posted here. TPM would be easy enough to finish off with 3 figures (after 7 years!) but AOTC and ROTS make things more complicated.

JT: the blue "Native American" look she is wearing when Anakin tells her "I killed them all" seems either different, or added on to the Tatooine outfit she had been released in during the Saga collection.

Personally I love most of the AOTC outfits except for the freighter and conference with the Queen outfits - which are nevertheless important too - if they make a figure of Jamilla.

ROTS's outfits are less impressive. Her hair in buns is sort of classic, and the nightgown covers important dialogue in the film. The Ruminations Padme has a nice look to her hair, and the Senate one is important as Palpatine declares his Empire in that moment.

But Leia and Padme are not particular figures that ever pegwarmed much (in most cases). I think an Evolutions set and some of these carded every so often in a year's assortment is a good idea. I don't think they need to constantly reissue the Arena and Theed Hanger Battle or Mustafar versions - which I'd gather would be most likely for Hasbro's future plans with her.

Fluke Skywalker
07-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Not a huge fan of Padme's, but I wouldn't mind a new S/A "Arena battle" figure. I hate the pre-posed AOTC & Saga "Factory chase" versions. And "Clean" and "Battle damaged" variants would be great.

I know that kinda goes against the whole idea, that being make some outfits not yet produced, but personally I just don't have any interest in any of Padme's C-SPAN attire.

If the line becomes more "Collector focused", like Hasbro says, then I'm sure we'll get a few of the one's mentioned... someday. I know a lot of collectors want them.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm with Tycho in that I love all these outfits and I can't have enough Natalie Portman figures on my shelf. But, I'm also with JT. They're not "fun" or "action-y" figures. Ideally, Hasbro would continue strong for the duration of their contract with Lucas and knock a couple of these bad lads out each year.

But then again, it is Hasbro.....

Tycho
07-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Fun? Action-y?

How many of you guys actually PLAY with your SW figures?

Carded collectors can keep quiet first. You don't need "action" figures.

Next, diorama creators like myself should pipe it down about "action-y" figures. We make displays. Albeit battle displays are very cool, so is a giant Senate display with all the characters in their speaker cars - and if not for Padme and Bail Organa, who would be the protagonists in those scenes? We know who Palpatine is...

Loose collectors who just display everything on shelves "lined up" or something should also desire these Padme figures. Sure, aliens (esp. cantina, Jabba's, podracers, Separatists, etc) make cool display figures. But unless you want all your other figures to wear white armor or brown robes, you should appreciate having bright yellow, purple, and shimmering black figures adding to the pallet that's your collection.

People that actually lie on the floor and make their figures "talk" and shoot missles at each other are about the only ones who can really say "Padme bores them." I'd generalize that this is the teenage and younger group for the most part. I'd "Play" with my figures that way if I could, but for some reason I can't - and I already have all the figures set up as if I could play with them...- all I need to do is launch the AT-AT's missles and see how many Rebels in the trench I can knock down, or if my Probot's missle can hit the "ice bridge" in the vintage Imperial Attack Playset and bring it down (on 4-5 of my carefully positioned Rebels in the trench). There's also shooting rubberbands at your clones and droids - oh - and not to mention USING the Hailfire droid (except that then -with the toys - the Separatists win the battle of Geonosis!)

OK - maybe I will PLAY with my Star Wars toys - probably when I get ready to move and have to take this stuff down anyway.

But more than that singular occasion, I'll appreciate having all of Padme's outfits in my displays.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Fun? Action-y?

How many of you guys actually PLAY with your SW figures?

I wasn't talking about me or any of us really. I was just saying that Hasbro tends to lean towards more action-oriented figs (hence the garbage action features we've been seeing in the past few years). I want the Padme's, I just can't see them being high on Hasbro's "to do" list.

Tycho
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
So this is conclusive evidence that Hasbro employs the retarded?

I mean it has to be.

Types of collectors:

carded - 21 more figures of Padme wouldn't matter to them - they buy everything.

Loose display shelf people - 21 more Padme's won't matter to them either. As it is, they need extra shelves for Luke Tatooine, Obi-Wan, and Anakin...

Diorama people - case is obvious - but I'll say it - Padme (in some specific outfit) completes their scene they've constructed.

Those that actually PLAY with the figures? Only 1/4 of the type of customers they have. I'm sure a marketing survey might show them what percentage of their buyers actually rests in that 4th. But completists from 2/4 of the categories will buy ANYTHING anyway - so why not 21 Padmes?

Jayspawn
07-26-2005, 01:40 AM
I play with my toys.

BUT Hasbro should do MORE Padme figures anyways, they've already made several not-too-posable Padmes and they're awesome!

Captain Spoon
07-26-2005, 08:17 AM
They could seriously do an entire wave of Padme. They could have around 8 of the figures that Tycho listed, plus do 2 more as internet exclusives. (we all love our exclusives) Or maybe they could do an evolutions type box with 1 padme figure and changeable outfits and heads. It might be an expensive design however collectors buy sets and I know my daugghter (who is 4) goes nuts because she can't change the clothes on her padme and leia figures. It would probobly sell very well. most people would buy 2

Rocketboy
07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Padme with removeable clothes?

Giggity!

Devo
07-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Padme with removeable clothes?

Giggity!

I was going to add my voice (metaphorically) to the small band of 'nah don't really need them' people but if this is what we're talking about I support the motion. :D

In seriousness though (well I was serious above but obviously it won't happen) I'm a 'loose on shelf' collector but preferably dioramas. There was a period almost a year ago when I was disillusioned with collecting and swore to drastically cut down (notably by not buying any more prequel stuff whatsoever). This of course was just a brief phase of sanity and my collecting has since intensified and includes prequel toys - a lot of prequel toys actually. No Padmes though. I'm not very fond of the character and I thought Portman was at her career worst so far.

I think there is logic to Tycho's assessment of the collector groups although I think I'm an exception. Padme figures just don't really interest me anymore. I have a few from when I was a completist and would buy a SA Geonosis arena padme (damaged and undamaged) for my 'battle scenes/clone war' theme but I can't see myself ever wanting to put together a 'Naboo picnic' scene and I wouldn't buy a padme figure just to stick it on a shelf without any film context.

ROTJLuke
07-26-2005, 06:03 PM
So this is conclusive evidence that Hasbro employs the retarded?

I mean it has to be.

Types of collectors:

carded - 21 more figures of Padme wouldn't matter to them - they buy everything.

Loose display shelf people - 21 more Padme's won't matter to them either. As it is, they need extra shelves for Luke Tatooine, Obi-Wan, and Anakin...

Diorama people - case is obvious - but I'll say it - Padme (in some specific outfit) completes their scene they've constructed.

Those that actually PLAY with the figures? Only 1/4 of the type of customers they have. I'm sure a marketing survey might show them what percentage of their buyers actually rests in that 4th. But completists from 2/4 of the categories will buy ANYTHING anyway - so why not 21 Padmes?

See, thats where I disagree with you my friend. Im a carded collector for the most part, (I did open up all of my ROTS figures, and got doubles of the ones I wanted to keep carded) however, if they release all of Padme's outfits, Ill buy the ones I see fit, not all of them. Im a carded collector in that I like having my figures in mint condition and in a manner in which their presentable, but the kid in me will want me to open them up and tool around with them, so I usually only get the ones I want, and if I really want a figure (take the Ep.III Obi Pilot for example) Ill buy 2 or three, to open up one and keep the others carded. I dunno, Ive always been like that. It may be weird, but its how I do things. So, I dunno, it all depends on the outfit Padme is wearing and if I really see it fit to be in my collection. Otherwise, Ill pass.

TheDarthVader
07-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I would buy 21 different padmes! As long as they weren't pre-posed, and the face sculpts were of a close likeness. Bring em on!!!! :D

B.
TDV

Tycho
07-27-2005, 02:23 AM
No Padmes though. I'm not very fond of the character and I thought Portman was at her career worst so far.

This interests me though. I'm not particularly fond of C-3PO for example. However, I need to buy a lot of him to complete scenes I'm setting up in which C-3PO is part of the cast. Padme is a main character even above and beyond Threepio's role, so why she would not be wanted for scenes or a collection escapes me. Granted C-3PO only has 3 "wardrobe changes," but that leads to two other things:

1) A lot of Padme's changes are from non-action sequences. Perhaps the Senate is the most important one to diorama fans, as you can display many different figures in a display requiring the "right" figure of her for the Naboo delegation as well.

Looking at Padme's figure possibilities, Senate figures of her, as well as perhaps the Naboo court (Queen Jamilla's reign) seem to be ideal choices. Her AOTC Nightgown (basically non-pregnant), is from a key action sequence involving Jango Fett and Zam Wessel, Kohouns, as well as R2, Typho, Anakin and Obi-Wan. That one is also more of a diorama maker - since you have R2 Kohoun Alert and Obi-Wan with Assassin Droid from the AOTC line.

Ironically, her more impressive colors, like the yellow by the waterfall are from singular character scenes.

I can't see myself ever wanting to put together a 'Naboo picnic' scene and I wouldn't buy a padme figure just to stick it on a shelf without any film context.

Right. I understand your point. However, in light of what's left to be made, could you:

1) Quit collecting if you had the best Luke, Han, Jango, Maul, whomever you like and all they continue to do is resculpt these main characters?

or would you just stay addicted to toy buying and purchase some other line such as Narnia figures or something?

2) Buy the Padme figures anyway, since you are addicted to buying SW and it is something new instead of Obi-Wan, Anakin #25, etc.? (in which case, Hasbro would be justified in making her, since your $$$ is their bottom line.)

In other words, would you prefer SW to "stop" or would the Padme figures be likely purchases even if you're less than enthusiastic about them?

This is for all to answer, not just Devo.

ROTJLuke
07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I believe if they're good enough, then I would get a few. Prehaps not all, but a few. I thought N.P. was a great actress in the PT btw...