PDA

View Full Version : No live-action show until '08?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2005, 06:08 PM
In this week's Entertainment Weekly (with Harry Potter on the cover), there was a small blurb that the new live action show won't be here until 2008. I thought this was weird since I haven't heard anything about this before, and I assumed we'd know before EW did anyway. So is this real?

Rocketboy
07-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Not sure if its true or not, but if it is it's no big deal, we're used to waiting 3 years for new Star Wars anyway. :D

Kidhuman
07-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Either way, it helps Hasbro hold the license longer.

Ji'dai
07-24-2005, 11:28 PM
It could take three years to do a hundred-episode television series:

Autumn 2005 - Summer 2006: Lucas takes out his big pencil and tablet and scribbles out the scripts.

Autumn 2006 - Summer 2007: Concept art is approved; shooting locations are scouted; casting is completed; costuming and set designs are finalized; set construction is done, and production and principal photography wrap.

Autumn 2007 - Summer 2008: ILM conjures up some special effects; then sound effects and musical score are added.

Autumn 2008: new Star Wars series debuts on the fall schedule to rave reviews and stellar ratings.

plasticfetish
07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Sansweet said at Comic-Con that the live action show was going to come out after the new cartoon (that will start in 2007.) I don't remember any offical word that the live action show will air in 2008, only that it'll happen after the animated thing's gotten it's start. (For all we know, it could air in 2010...)

I think the point was that they want to focus on the new 30 minute CGI cartoon, before they really start to get going with the live action series.

Kidhuman
07-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Either way 2008, tomorrow or 2010, I just want to see it.

JimJamBonds
07-25-2005, 12:14 AM
As it was already said we've had to wait 3 years between movies so its not that bad. Besides reguardless of when the live action show comes out in 08 or whenever lets give the movies a bit of time to settle down. While that is happening we will be hearing rumors about the new series and the excitment will build. I'm ok with a wait (as long as the wait isn't like it was betwen E's VI and I). :)

JimJamBonds
01-15-2010, 06:44 AM
In this week's Entertainment Weekly (with Harry Potter on the cover), there was a small blurb that the new live action show won't be here until 2008. I thought this was weird since I haven't heard anything about this before, and I assumed we'd know before EW did anyway. So is this real?

Yeah that appears to be the case, hopefully it'll come out by '09 at the latest.

DarthQuack
01-15-2010, 11:02 AM
And the golden shovel award goes to........

pbarnard
01-15-2010, 11:03 AM
No one till 2012.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Hmm . . . maybe based on this old information, it won't come out until next year? Ah, who knows. I'm not holding my breath, and Clone Wars is pretty damn great so that's good enough for right now.

bigbarada
01-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Hmm . . . maybe based on this old information, it won't come out until next year? Ah, who knows. I'm not holding my breath, and Clone Wars is pretty damn great so that's good enough for right now.

My guess is that they want Clone Wars to bask in the spotlight a little longer before releasing the live action show.

There is definitely a danger of flooding the market with too many similar looking television programs. Just look at the Star Trek franchise in the 1990s.

sith_killer_99
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
My guess is that they want Clone Wars to bask in the spotlight a little longer before releasing the live action show.

There is definitely a danger of flooding the market with too many similar looking television programs. Just look at the Star Trek franchise in the 1990s.

What about the Star Trek franchise in the 90's? I enjoyed all of them. Yet, I was not as big of fan when it came to "Enterprise" which was the only Star Trek at the time.

Honestly, I don't think it would matter, if a show is good it should be able to carry itself, unless a network drops it and bets on another show which subsequently fails the following year (ala TSCC/Dollhouse):mad:but that's a different discussion.

I am not as excited about the prospect of a Star Wars live action television series as I once was, but I will support it if/when they decide to green light.

pbarnard
01-15-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm trying to figure out the last remark considering there was never more than a 2-3 year overlap. IT makes absolutely no sense at all given that a production company tends to have 3-4 shows out at the same time. With Star Trek: DS9 started with TNG's 5th season. Carried it all alone for 1 season after TNG ended, then there was 3 year overlap with DS9 and Voyager. There was no overlap between Voyager and Enterprise. There were the occasional TNG movies. Trying to figure out the overload comment...overloaded because of constant turnout or because there is overlapping shows/casts etc?

Babylon 5 and DS9 were similar and competing products. As well as Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis which were on the same network the same night!!! If there can be 4 versions of Law and Order on one network, 3 CSI's on another, 2 Grey's Anatomies etc...there definitely is enough room in the land of 1000 channels (with nothing on) for 2 shows from the same property.

JimJamBonds
01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
And the golden shovel award goes to........

Is it me!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Babylon 5 and DS9 were similar and competing products. As well as Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis which were on the same network the same night!!! If there can be 4 versions of Law and Order on one network, 3 CSI's on another, 2 Grey's Anatomies etc...there definitely is enough room in the land of 1000 channels (with nothing on) for 2 shows from the same property.
I don't know much about the sci-fi shows you mentioned, but it seems to me like the other shows can exist on their own without viewers having to know about the others in the franchise. Occasionally, some of the shows can even do cross-over "events" (using that term very loosely). With Star Wars, however, that is just not the case. The fact that these two shows will take place in different time periods and have (obviously) different aesthetics means that they might indeed be wise to not have them on TV simultaneously. They might still do it, though, so who knows how it will turn out.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
No one till 2012.I hear there's quite a lot of it'll-never-happen projects slated for '12...

Maybe they'll go Roger Rabbit and do a live-action-with-animation show. Star Wars: The Clown Wars. "Save me, Ani!" "I'm not Sith; I'm just CGI'd that way." Hey, they already do the bug-out eyes now.

wawe1
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Holding my breath... Live-Action won't be made until the animated series is long gone. That's how SW strings us along.