PDA

View Full Version : One HUGE step closer ...

vader121
07-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Check out what I just won ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5988464503

Please tell me this is legitimate. :confused:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
if it's open, it's doubtful! To me, the only way to tell if a vinyl cape jawa is authentic is one, it's carded and two, it's graded by AFA or you have Gus Lopez and his friends check it out for you!

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-25-2005, 12:16 PM
There......is .........another..............way to tell. I read somewhere that on the real plastic cape, the inside has a texture to it, while the outside is completely smooth. I think it was in Toyfare.

jedi_uk73
07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Rebo, you are correct.

One side of the cape should have a criss-cross texture to it. The arm holes should be tight against the figure, and the cape the same colour as the figure... Only the Toltoys figure has a different colour cape, but that's a totally different kettle of fish.

I can't get the pics to show up, but from the auction, the 'red cape' description makes me believe that it's a Ben Kenobi cape that's been cut down....

The ending price is way to low, which also makes me believe that any serious collectors would have known it was a fake, and stayed well away....

Looks like you got stung there Vader121 :(

LusiferSam
07-25-2005, 02:23 PM
It's clearly a fake. You got taken. The cape color is that of Ben's cape, not a true Jawa cape. A real vinyl cape Jawa's cape would be the same color as the figure. Now it could be a Toltoys (http://http://www.toysrgus.com/images-forei/toltoys-esb-vcjawa.html) Jawa, but I doubt it. The way the collar folds down on the back it looks much more like the larger Ben cape than the smaller Jawa cape.

vader121
07-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Well, although I'd rather I snagged a legit figure I am not too upset because without this one I would probably never get one anyway. Paid too much for a Jawa but oh well. :dis: I did buy it on an impulse and saw it very late into the auction. If I had more time to study the pic I probably would have passed on it but I took a chance and I do believe that you are right that it's not legit. Won't know for sure until I get it in my hands but one thing is certain whomever made it did a decent job of cutting it to fit the Jawa very well.

Fluke Skywalker
07-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Notice how the seller went out of their way not to call it a "Vinyl caped" Jawa. They say "Plastic". They were clearly covering their legal bases. Sneaky. Very sneaky.

Jawa Fett
07-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I bought a vinyl caped Jawa a couple of years ago from a guy in Germany. You guys are exactly right, the cape is the exact same color as the figure and it does have some sort of texture to it. I paid almost $200 for it. I researched the figure a little bit before I purchased it and one of the guys at Sir Steves (I can't remember who) told me it was real so I bought it. I will try to get a photo or 2 of it up here to show you guys. All in all $36 isn't bad for a fake. I once saw somebody pay $50 for one and the person was well aware it was a fake.

Jawa Fett
07-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Vinyl Cape Jawa Photos As promised

LusiferSam
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Jawa Fett, there is some problem because I don't see any photos or links to photos in your list post.

Kidhuman
07-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Nope, no pics. If you need help with them LMK you can email them to me and I will post for you.

Jawa Fett
08-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Lets try this again

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Lets try this againHow are you trying to attach the pics, JF? Are you clicking on the "Manage Attachments" button below? If I have followed the rules correctly, there should be a pic below in this reply. We'll see...

... well, my file's too big. Lemme try again...

... OK, that one timed out. So, maybe that's why there's been problems. :frus: Stupid, dumb Bel-Cam, can't even use a new-fangled computer box... :rolleyes:

[... trying this the next day]
It should be a pic of costumed fans in line at the ROTS opening... aargh! Too large again? It's under 100 kb! My give up... :mad:

vader121
08-02-2005, 08:59 AM
I received the Jawa yesterday and yes it is definitely a fake. Although I already knew this. The good thing is that the Jawa is in really great shape. No weapon though. I'll keep it as it is probably the closest I will get to a real vinyl cape Jawa.

Leason learned: do not buy supposed rare items on ebay on a whim and in the last minute of auction. Need to study it a bit to be sure it is what you think it is.