PDA

View Full Version : FX Luke Jedi from Borders

elkkthunder
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
from the advice of some on the rebelscum forums, I went to my local borders and pre-ordered the upcoming fx luke saber coming out in october. No money done- on reserve !!!

yeek
07-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Cool, I may have to ask my borders if they do the same.

JediTricks
07-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Borders usually has a preorder system on their website, but I can't find a listing for the Luke ROTJ FX saber on there, so I guess I'll have to go in in person and reserve mine. Did they say how much it'd be?

elkkthunder
07-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Borders usually has a preorder system on their website, but I can't find a listing for the Luke ROTJ FX saber on there, so I guess I'll have to go in in person and reserve mine. Did they say how much it'd be?

$119 it was listed at

Jayspawn
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Thats the standard price -glad they're not sticking people on it.

Jaster
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Just got off the phone with Borders and I'm on the list for one! The guy said it was due October 4th.

shadu widal
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
"Just got off the phone with Borders and I'm on the list for one! The guy said it was due October 4th."

Same here! I thought sure my chain was being yanked, pre ordering at a bookstore, but I'm on the list! She said it was Oct. 5th.

Axlrose
08-05-2005, 05:29 PM
it's on preorder already huh? I like to see it in action first, cause i have never seen a really great LED, I only got 4 or 5 green EL's in my collection, no Green LED's. It will be nice to see what it looks like, although I do hope they don't go to the teal color as so many others do.

lukespop
08-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Are they only going to be available at Borders or is Master Replicas selling as well?

Darth Takeo
08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Is this saber going to be just like the previous or is it redesigned?

Jayspawn
08-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Its going to be a Borders Exclusive. Master Replicas will not be selling it directly. The lightsaber will be the same make and design as the previous ROTJ Luke FX but it will have LED lights instead, which means that the blade will ignite up and down instead of just turn on. And it will be a better color green (the previous green color want that good).

DarkArtist
08-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I was hoping that they would redesign it as well, the last one was too wide and looked funny. Afterall the Vader lightsaber is a remake of the orginal and is thinner the the first. :confused:

Sith Lord 0498
08-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I was hoping that they would redesign it as well, the last one was too wide and looked funny. Afterall the Vader lightsaber is a remake of the orginal and is thinner the the first. :confused:

I suppose it's because they haven't perfected a way to secure the blade enough with a thinner neck. Personally, I don't think it looks too bizarre. Yes, it would be great to have a 100% accurate replica Force FX version, but this looks great on its own. I, for one, will be buying this if finances allow.

Cirielle
08-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Borders likes to make this hard on people don't they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They just told my hubby b/c there is no ship date that they can't let people preorder it!

And of course the hubby doesn't know all about it so of course he didn't argue! Not that he should have to - but goodness knows it drives me bonkers!

I JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT I WILL DEFINITELY GET ONE! :evil:

Cirielle
08-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Alright - second GRRRRRR from Borders! :frus: :mad:

Hubby called back and now they are saying that they aren't sure if they will get any! OKAY - HERE IS THE 411 CLERK - ORDER IT IN YOUR SYSTEM AND THEY WILL SHIP IT TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean come off of it - they can't tell me that they aren't going to get any if they already have a sale for it! Borders is not retarded are they? :confused: Wouldn't they rather know they can get these off of the shelves before they hit the shelves versus having 20 at another store that is not selling them!

So I guess my next question is - Where is everyone pre-ordering theirs from????????????????????????????????????????

Anyone in the state of VA???????????????????????????????????????? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR

shadu widal
08-09-2005, 02:21 PM
If there is another Borders in your area, call them. The first Borders I tried, said they couldn't find anything like that in their system. The second, almost told me the same thing, but the guy managed to find it, and let me pre order one. I'll be driving across town that day, but at least I'll have it.

Cirielle
08-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Well unfortunately there is only 1 in my area - aka one in the Richmond area!

Then the next one is about 60 miles are more away and then just keep going from there!!!!!

It is just retarded!!!!

I don't know much about Borders - but this makes me want to smack them all!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue2th
08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I just went to my closest Borders and they knew nothing about it, couldn't find it on their computer. This is frustrating. I want to order one but how? :mad:

elkkthunder
08-25-2005, 07:10 PM
have them search via manufacturer
Master Replicas

Jayspawn
08-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Good idea elkkthunder!

Another idea (for those who have it on order), is there an item number that Borders sells it under? If ya post it, anybody should be able to march in there and have an employee pull it up.

Cirielle
08-26-2005, 08:40 AM
BINC# is 8049747

Jayspawn
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Cirielle! Now any of us should be able to order it at Borders without worry of not being able to find it in the computer.

Jedi_Mike
09-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Watch Borders and they way they are handling this. I pre-ordered one once it was first announced and then I got a postcard just yesterday telling me that its out of stock indefiinitely. The thing is the computers are confusing it with the previous release even though the BINCs are different. It should be interesting to see how many others receive this and then have to fight with good ol' Borders...

elkkthunder
09-20-2005, 05:53 PM
went to my borders today, my pre order is still there, no postcard. they had a release date of 10/4 with an expected arrival date of 10/14 and said they got some display setup for them already

shadu widal
10-02-2005, 03:33 AM
You guys are making me nervous. If I called them up, can they tell if my pre order is still there?

Jayspawn
10-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Dont be nervous. As long as you have an order in, you should have an order # of some kind and you should be able to give em a ring as see what the status is.

shadu widal
10-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Never got an order number, she just took my name and phone number.

shadu widal
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Talk about aggrivations, I called the Borders I pre ordered at. They said those already came and went, and were a one time deal back in JULY?! I explained about my pre order, and the guy claimed who ever took it was uneducated about this, and that I should have recieved a postcard.

So... I called another store(closer actually), and she said they were scheduled to get the Luke Skywalker saber sometime this month, and that it appeared they were on the way(around the 15th she predicted). So, I was able to pre order at that one, so I should be getting a phone call when they are in.

Cirielle
10-05-2005, 10:34 PM
I HAVE MINE NOW!!!

:whip: :twisted: :razz: :love: :love: :love: :D

Got the call today and now have my Luke!!!!

Here's a little info - nothing on the box about it being a Border's exclusive at all! It is much lighter than the other FX sabers I have (Darth Vader and Anakin - both newer ones). It take 6 batteries. The green is bright as hell and the sound is loud (all good things to me!).

I absolutely love it! :love: :love: :love: :love:

DarkArtist
10-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Is there any difference between the new one and the first one they released

Cirielle
10-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Is there any difference between the new one and the first one they released

I wish I knew - but unfortunately I don't have the older one....

I just know that I love this one. There is just something special to it for me. I didn't even know I was so partial to Luke after all.

I can't even begin to explain how I will be when I get some Boba Fett MR stuff!!!!

yeek
10-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Cool, I'm gonna go check my Borders tomorrow and see if they have any....

shadu widal
10-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Same here! I didn't want to post 3 posts in a row, but I just got mine today as well! They called, and I braved 5:00 downtown traffic to get it, and here it is(I also got an extra one for when they go up again on Ebay:twisted: )! Also, I saw someone else had one ordered behind the counter, so i didn't feel like too much of a geek. :)

I also have the new Vader and Anakin, it goes very well with them, even though it requires 6 batteries. I thought it would look bulky compared to them, but it's only slightly bigger, like an inexperienced Jedi built it :pleased:. The blade is very bright, and the sound is loud. Also, this one has the best motion sensors of the lot, the sounds go with my movements very well.

Jayspawn
10-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm glad people seem to be very pleased with the updated Luke FX. I dont have a Borders near me but my have to go check one out.

Jayspawn
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I made a drive out to the closest Borders today and no luck. They said they probably have them on the way, but they were not at the store yet.

JediTricks
10-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I talked to my Borders and apparently, they had just heard from their district supervisor that they were expected but haven't arrived yet here in California. I hope they arrive tomorrow, that'd be nice.

I am surprised to hear these are using the 6-battery configuration, I was under the impression that they were using new guts and that meant the updated 3-battery system. I'll take what I can get, but at this rate I may never own a 3-battery Force FX saber. :p

yeek
10-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Again, thanks for the heads up...I picked one up tonight at my Borders....

Jedi_Mike
10-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Still gotta get mine....and convience the wife to let me after ordering the Obi-Wan Elite.....:D

JediTricks
10-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Can everybody please post the city/state where they are finding these? They didn't show up today either here in LA.

shadu widal
10-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Ft Worth TX here. Call as many Borders books as your willing to drive too, I went through two before they knew what I was talking about, and were getting some in.

JediTricks
10-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Sadly, my Borders actually knows precisely what I'm talking about, they even know the pertinent numbers, it's just that they have arguments with their computers while finding out less than ideal info aboutt hese.

Jaster
10-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Picked mine up today at the Borders Mission Valley here in San Diego. Man is it sweet!

yeek
10-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Can everybody please post the city/state where they are finding these? They didn't show up today either here in LA.

Houston, TX.

Syl-Rel Veloci
10-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Fellow Jedi Knights,

I just want everybody around L.A. California to know that I got mine from Borders at Sherman Oaks, CA 10PM Oct 8, 2005.

They had it by the register so people can see it when they go to pay for their stuff, so if I were you..... I'd wait in front of the store first thing Sunday morning!!! If no one else bought one after my brother and I did, then they would have 8 left, including the ones they have in the back.

May The Force be with you.

~Syl-Rel Veloci~

JediTricks
10-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info gang, stupid Borders! They're in SoCal and don't even know it. I really hope MR doesn't do any more exclusives with them, they're such a pain to deal with, they really are all wrong for this sort of thing.

plasticfetish
10-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Just saw them at my local Borders here in the Portland Oregon area. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
10-10-2005, 04:57 AM
That's right, keep poking the bear.

plasticfetish
10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Poke, poke, poke... ;)

We got a look at the Luke saber last week, and it really is very cool. I'm, as always, amazed by the quality. Bright, loud, shiny metal... fun!

JediTricks
10-12-2005, 04:23 PM
I ended up giving up on my store and going to another Borders to get it, it was the last one they had on the display behind the counter too.

Some quick thoughts...

Things I didn't like:
- The metal hilt has several scratches and a few gouges too, I've heard others having this on theirs as well.
- The sticker that pretends to be the movie activation plate has bubbled up on either outer edge on mine and won't stay down.
- The blade has several noticable darker segments when activated, I've heard of other FX sabers with this but haven't experienced it until now and I don't like it, but it's not a disaster for me.
- The hilt design has plastic on the pseudo-activation box which feels like it could get damaged during normal handling, and while I do dislike the fat copper neck, I dislike the even fatter black neck just beneath - this section should at least be as indented as the copper part since they were the same size on the prop (these are complaints that come from the original ROTJ FX saber though and I knew were going to be an issue coming into this).
- The one thing I really can't get past right now is that they simply ported all the sound effects from the Luke ESB saber into this one, which is dead wrong for the ROTJ saber. The hum note is slightly higher register but definitely the same sound, the swings and clashes are all the same and the clashes even came in the same order when I hit the 2 sabers together. This really bothers me because Luke's ROTJ saber has such a specific sound which is vastly different from the other sabers, and up until now MR had been pretty good with these sounds.

Things I did like:
- The sound is loud almost to the point of being ridiculous. :D
- The swing sensor is more responsive than the others.
- The blade looks good and is bright as all get-out, brighter by far than the ESB Luke saber and even a little brighter than the ANH Vader saber.

All in all, this is the first LED-bladed FX I am not yet sure if I'd recommend or not. The exclusivity factor makes it even more of a pain, and I hope this is not how MR leaves the ROTJ Luke saber legacy.

Jaster
10-13-2005, 02:19 PM
after reading your post I went and looked at mine more closley looking for any of the problems you've encountered on yours and I'm glad to say mine is free of any scratches, dings, peeling stickers, or a miss colored blade. Are you sure you didn't get a floor model? mine was taped shut when I purchased it.

plasticfetish
10-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I was curious about that too JT. The one I looked at, which we pulled fresh out of a sealed package, was pretty much perfect -- but I wasn't going over it with a jewelers loop or anything at the time, so... ;)

You might want to see if your craptastic Borders has another one. When I was standing there looking at books for about 30 minutes in the store, I heard the demo saber go on about 1000 times. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that someone had also opened one in the back room and messed around with it a bit.

JediTricks
10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Mine was sealed in its package, but I'll be happy to take mine back and get a replacement. Won't change the wrong sound effects issue though. ;)

JediTricks
10-15-2005, 06:35 AM
I went and got a replacement, but it wasn't easy. The store which I had preordered mine finally got mine in and instead of putting it on hold, they sold all 18 of 'em to a single collector and I had to track one down at a totally different store which was difficult and risky since apparently it was up to that store's manager's discretion whether they would make the exchange - this alone was totally unacceptable, Borders will be hearing from me on Monday and I am hoping MR is reading this and understanding how incredibly angry I am with this Borders-exclusive situation, this is my hard-earned money which I can't really afford but I clearly cannot wait on because there may be no more even in the near future.

The new saber has less scratches and no gouges, the sticker was popped up a little on it but seems to be sticking down all the way now that I pushed on it, the sound isn't quite as loud as the previous one but still VERY loud, and the blade has at least as many darker LED spots as the last blade but they're smaller segments so somehow it's not as bad. None of this of course addresses the inherent mistakes in the hilt design nor the wrong movie's sound effects, but it's a step up from the one it replaced.

pestario
10-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know how "limited edition" these are?

I know it's exclusive to Borders but will they have them for quite some time or will they be hard to get once the first shipment is gone?

My Borders had the Vader and Anikin Sabers on sale for $99 today as well.

shadu widal
10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Not sure how limited they are. I just got another call from Borders today, letting me know they got more in, and are holding another for me if I want it. I've no doubt it will be prety limited, as everything MR is. Kinda ticks me off that you can get these for about $130 on Ebay right now, but I'm sure the prices will go back up.

pestario
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
yes I have 2 of them right now, one for my collection and one to hold on to. Just debating if it is worth hanging onto the second saber.

I also got a cupon for 25% off any item starting tommorow and if they got more I could go back and rebuy my Luke saber for my collection much cheaper.

Tycho
11-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Alright. They got me hooked on the FX brand. I already plan on getting Darth Maul (2 blades) when his is available - and Obi-Wan's TPM saber (my all-time favorite) should they decide to "FX" this one.

But I just had to have green I guess.

The hilt's nice to hold and Luke doesn't build them with the activator / power charge right in the middle of the grip the way his father does. Still, Obi-Wan's would be the most preferable to fight with. But Luke's is an improvement.

It sucks that there won't be more movies to carry these to in the future. I think I'll go to the 3D releases just so I can hit people and destroy their Hasbro lightsabers. Look out for me at Celebration 4 and Comic Con!

Anyway, my Border's had a cool lightsaber display with a Vader's for "try me" but ALL the lightsabers were selling well. I don't know how many they had originally, but I got the 2nd to last "Luke."

JEDIpartner
11-02-2005, 09:57 AM
How does the re-designed flash area look on that? I thought about getting it but am not certain. I might just be saving my bucks for the possible Obi-Wan saber that you are keen on.

Lazer Brain
11-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I got the Anikin Skywalker FX blade Yesterday, they were on sale at the Halloween store in my town. It is a great piece , the chome is nice and the blade color is bright blue. i also have a darth vader, and would like to get an luke someday. the darth maul blake looks kick arse , but just might be a bit too flashy.
later

Tycho
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
How does the re-designed flash area look on that? I thought about getting it but am not certain. I might just be saving my bucks for the possible Obi-Wan saber that you are keen on.

What's the redesigned flash area and I'll answer your question? ;)

JEDIpartner
11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
They had to make the "neck" part thicker, no?

Tycho
11-02-2005, 01:02 PM
It doesn't look authentic, but then I don't care as much as some people. I just like lightsabers in general and an approximation is fine versus perfect authenticity like MR's signature series. The Qui-Gon FX should be very authentic if you want to wait though - it might even be superior to Luke's by far. I myself am fine with one of each color, a double-blade, and if they can "FX" Dooku's and especially Obi-Wan's TPM blade, I'm all over those.

BountyHunterScum
11-15-2005, 01:21 AM
Ok now i'm kinda mad, I didn't even know this LED Luke Jedi saber existed til today. I hope I can still get it. Also doesnt anyone know what the hell the difference is between the first LED Mace saber and this new Mace saber?

shadu widal
11-15-2005, 01:34 AM
I don't think the Mace Windu is any different. From what I gather, their just shipping out their left over stock.

BountyHunterScum
11-15-2005, 01:40 AM
My main concern is this new LED ROTJ saber, do you know if its super limited or not all that limited?

Jayspawn
11-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I went out to a Borders store a few days ago they had an FX Lightsaber display up and fully stocked!

BountyHunterScum
11-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Now I'm really master of the FX sabers, I picked up the borders saber 30 mins ago I asked them to hold one and they did. I am so happy now. I played with the demo just to be sure and yes its LEDs they went up and down. It looks like it might be pure green too, I have to wait til christmas to open it.

JediTricks
11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
The green LEDs on the Luke ROTJ saber are superb, definitely not a tinted tube or any funny business the way Mace's is (not that there would need to be either, green LEDs are common and cheap whereas purple ones are not). I may not have liked the sounds being from a different movie or the bronze paint on the neck being cheapy-looking, but the LEDs are very nice and bright and green.

Tycho
11-15-2005, 10:30 PM
I agree with you. I really like this F/X saber - and all the green. I'm getting really fast with it now too.

BountyHunterScum
11-15-2005, 10:53 PM
My Mace saber has a curious red line on the side of the blade when illuminated. its a faint red line. When I was in the store I played with the demo but I covered the speaker with my hand. I didn't want a bunch of people staring at me.

Jayspawn
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Let them stare! You know they want to hold it too!

BountyHunterScum
11-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Let them stare! You know they want to hold it too!

lol yep. I didnt see alot of people though. the lady next to me didnt even look when i turned it on.

JediTricks
11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
I was messing with my Luke ROTJ FX saber today and noticed that the very tip, the end cap, is a teeny tiny bit loose, it can move around a little, less than a millimeter in any direction, but still it moves where the others don't. Anybody else have this? So far, it doesn't seem to be enough to worry about.