PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Darth Vader TIE Fighter

LusiferSam
07-27-2005, 12:17 AM
This week's vehicle is Darth Vader TIE Fighter (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=8833&cat=2861). Vader's own person TIE Fighter was released in 1979 and was available in '79, '80 and '84. The released in '84 was part of the "Collector Series" and the box features a red and yellow logo to indicate it. There are no known variations to the itself. Vaders TIE, like all the TIE Fighters, features pop off solar panels, electric "Laser sound and light" and an opening cockpit with a seat that raises and lowers.

Fluke Skywalker
07-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Exploding wings and electronic laser sounds... too sweet.

"I have you now!"

vader121
07-27-2005, 08:06 AM
I had a few Vader Tie's when i was a kid. Never had the regular Tie Fighter so this was it for me. It is cooler looking than the regular Tie probably due to the curved wings. However these wings were heavier and they seem to wear out the connectors quicker due to the weight.

Sidebar story: My Dad was a truck driver for a waste management company and picked up containers filled with 'garbage' at many local stores like JC Penney, Kmart, Hills, etc. Occasionally he would run across boxes of toys that were being thrown away. Probably because they were returns or from kids opening them in the shelves of the store. He would bring these home to me which was like by bday or Xmas a few additional times a year. This is how I got a few extra Vader Tie Fighters as a kid. Also remember getting a box full of GiJoe toys once that my dad picked up from Hills. Also got a bag full of toy soldiers this way too. Didn't mean to steal this posts fire but I just felt compelled to explain how I got a few extra Vader Tie's as a kid.

LusiferSam
07-27-2005, 08:37 PM
No don't be sorry. I kept hoping more people will do stuff like that. Those kind of stories make these threads more interesting.

My little story about my Darth's TIE involves trying to replace the LED. When I first bought my off eBay in mid '99 I notice the LED wasn't working. It made sound, but no light. So I decided to replace the LED. LEDs aren't items that were really meant to be replace. So I spend a couple of hours try to cut the thing out of the hull, was that ever a fun task. I removed the old LED before I had a new and it took a couple of months before I got a round to buying a new one. By this time I had forgotten the size of the original and bought one a little too big. After another couple of hours of cutting the hull I finally got the new one in and working. Needless to say I won't recommend others trying this.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I think this is the oldest vehicle I own that was an original purchase at the time. Mine has only one cockpit hatch door (good thing Vader has a breathing apiratus [sp?] ;) ), the stickers are fallin' off, and the wings are loose when they're clicked in place. What I used to do was turn the wings around (long ends to the front) to make it a TIE Interceptor, since none of my friends or I ever owned the TIEI. Loved the apparently-useless chair lift in the cockpit, and that you could see (sort of) which figure was the pilot through the window.