PDA

View Full Version : Are the Prequels in general "light-hearted"?

JediTricks
07-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Something Lucas said on the ROTJ DVD commentary track about the OT got me thinking about this, do any of you guys think the Prequels are in general light-hearted movies? Lucas said it was an important aspect of the OT and that made me think about whether or not the Prequels too are light-hearted. I don't think simply the jokey stuff with Jar Jar or 3PO on Geonosis counts, those are light-hearted but they're more light-hearted asides to more heavy scenes rather than intermixing the light-heartedness into the main scenes and characters themselves.

2-1B
07-28-2005, 01:08 AM
I think all 6 movies are light hearted to varying degrees at varying times throughout each film. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-28-2005, 02:54 AM
I think all 6 movies are light hearted to varying degrees at varying times throughout each film. :)

Nice diplomatic answer lol lol lol

No I say, NO! ;)

2-1B
07-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Diplomacy or not, it's true. lol

Anakin and Obi-Wan are wonderful in their lightheartedness. Anakin and Padme manage to pull of several lighthearted scenes. Damn near everything involving Obi-Wan and Jango has a whimsical feel to it, even as one tries to kill the other. Qui-Gon is the king of cool, a real swashbuckler.

These films are underappreciated.

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2005, 04:31 AM
I thought the most lighthearted moment was of course when Obi-Wan left his best friend burning to death while screaming "I HATE YOU" as his face melted!

wedge1968
07-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I couldn't stop laughing during that part either.

JediTricks
07-29-2005, 02:56 PM
I thought the most lighthearted moment was of course when Obi-Wan left his best friend burning to death while screaming "I HATE YOU" as his face melted!
Great answer! :D

Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Ji'dai
07-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Lucas may have meant that Star Wars (both the OT and now the PT) has a lighter tone than the usual fare in the SciFi genre. Hard core science fiction has long been used as vehicle for tackling controversial subjects or illustrating human foibles. There's often some type of poignant irony or moral to the story. Star Wars is a fun, action-adventure swashbuckler that borrows heavily from the SciFi but it's not bogged down by some underlying message or moral. Though you could argue that the underlying theme in the PT mirrors the current political climate in the US; i.e., sacrificing liberty for security.

Since SciFi is considered "low-brow" literature, it's not really taken seriously; and I think Lucas may have received some flak from SciFi purests for the lighthearted tone in Star Wars. Lucas did make a serious "hard core" SciFi flick with THX-1138 though. That one was interesting to watch, but I'm glad Star Wars was a major departure from that type of SciFi. I don't think I'd be as big a fan today if the Saga hadn't been lighter in tone.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't think that the OT is overall lighthearted, nor is the PT . . . each movie, as has been said, has ups and downs. ROTS and ESB are both pretty damn depressing with (very) few lighthearted moments, and the others vary from light to dark. I wouldn't call the OT lighthearted overall, really. It's tough to make generalizations.

JimJamBonds
07-29-2005, 11:29 PM
As several people have already said I think each movie has its moments where it is light hearted and moments where its darker. I don't think the prequels are generaly light hearted. While there are certain aspects that 'jump out' from the PT as dealing with the current state of affairs in our world (Cloning for example) There are plenty of examples in the OT of moral/world questions going o: What about the low tech group beating the high tech group? (Ewoks vs. the Empire) or what about man over machine? (Luke switching off his targeting computer)

JediTricks
07-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Lucas may have meant that Star Wars (both the OT and now the PT) has a lighter tone than the usual fare in the SciFi genre. Hard core science fiction has long been used as vehicle for tackling controversial subjects or illustrating human foibles. There's often some type of poignant irony or moral to the story. Star Wars is a fun, action-adventure swashbuckler that borrows heavily from the SciFi but it's not bogged down by some underlying message or moral. Though you could argue that the underlying theme in the PT mirrors the current political climate in the US; i.e., sacrificing liberty for security.

Since SciFi is considered "low-brow" literature, it's not really taken seriously; and I think Lucas may have received some flak from SciFi purests for the lighthearted tone in Star Wars. Lucas did make a serious "hard core" SciFi flick with THX-1138 though. That one was interesting to watch, but I'm glad Star Wars was a major departure from that type of SciFi. I don't think I'd be as big a fan today if the Saga hadn't been lighter in tone.Lucas was definitely talking about the overal tone of the OT, it's "bounce", the way the characters are light-hearted in general about the story going on around them, not about "lite" sci-fi vs "hardcore" sci-fi. About how seriously it takes itself on its own terms, not about how it is perceived against a pantheon of other genre films.

By the way, one of the reasons Lucas created Star Wars in the first place was to tell a timeless morality tale presented in a manner modern audiences hadn't seen before and would be open to.

I don't think the prequels are generaly light hearted. Thank you, you answered the "in general" part of the question, I very much appreciate that. That's how I feel about it as well, that in general the prequels aren't light-hearted, everything is serious to them and has hard impact on them, very little joking and smiling and such. I was wondering what others would say who believed otherwise, but so far a lot of responses in this thread have ignored the "in general" part of the thread title.

There are plenty of examples in the OT of moral/world questions... Besides the ones you mentioned, Lucas also has a specific message about racism and class structure in regards to the droids, but he doesn't beat us over the head with those moral messages, he presents the issue subtly and lets us find our way - only Luke consistantly treats the droids like people yet we still cheer for the other heroes none the less.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-31-2005, 06:19 PM
I would think it would be a good thing to many people if the PT isn't light-hearted. People generally like ESB the best, in part because of it being the darkest of the OT. People were looking forward to ROTS thinking it was going to be the best of the PT because it was going to be darker. Attempts of the PT to be light-hearted were generally the parts people hated: funny battle droid voices and dialogue, Anakin and Padmé frolicking in the field, and fart jokes in TPM (oh no, we can't have fart jokes in a Star Wars movie, you've ruined our sacred saga with low brow toilet humor!). I think overall, the PT, except for TPM, has to have a less light-hearted tone because it is a gradual descent into darkness. The OT presents a new hope as it is a struggle to break free from the darkness and head towards the light again.

2-1B
08-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Except the droids AREN'T people, so that analogy only works for a bit, in my opinion. :)
If I were Han Solo or Princess Leia I too would get irritated by Threepio running his yap and I would shut him up or shut him down just the same as they did. lol lol lol

Luke does definitely show the most compassion to the 2 main droids, and I think it echoes his father's approach to the droids as well. :)

Personally I like the most how Ben deals with the droids. He shows kindness because he's a kind man and that's his nature, and thanks to ROTS (especially) we can see that he did have a great history with these 2 droids. But he still sees them for the tools that they are and doesn't go overboard in humanizing them, not to the extent that Anakin and Luke did. :)

JediTricks
08-01-2005, 09:42 PM
I would think it would be a good thing to many people if the PT isn't light-hearted. People generally like ESB the best, in part because of it being the darkest of the OT. ... I think overall, the PT, except for TPM, has to have a less light-hearted tone because it is a gradual descent into darkness. The OT presents a new hope as it is a struggle to break free from the darkness and head towards the light again.An interesting point, I'll have to further explore ESB to determine if it is heavy or light-hearted with a lot of heavy stuff weaved in. Kershner did touch on this issue on the ESB DVD commentary... but I don't actually remember what he said. :nerv:

However, if the prequels had been made more light-hearted overall, I think the impact of Anakin going bad would have carried a lot more weight.

Attempts of the PT to be light-hearted were generally the parts people hated: funny battle droid voices and dialogue, Anakin and Padmé frolicking in the field, and fart jokes in TPM For me, those parts stood out because they weren't weaved into the actual characters and situations, they were mainly asides which felt artificial. One light-hearted moment about the prequels that DID work was one of my favorite prequel lines, and I know a lot of others liked it too, in Ep 2 when Anakin and Padme are being chained up next to Obi-Wan in the arena, Anakin tells Obi-Wan that they came to rescue him, Obi-Wan glances at his still-shackled hands and says "good job."

Except the droids AREN'T people, so that analogy only works for a bit, in my opinion. The droids are written as people, they are sentient and show emotions, they're written as servants, borrowed somewhat from the servants in "The Hidden Fortress" who definitely are people.

If I were Han Solo or Princess Leia I too would get irritated by Threepio running his yap and I would shut him up or shut him down just the same as they did. If a servant got yappy, they'd probably tell him to shut up as well, it's not different.

2-1B
08-01-2005, 11:22 PM
It's different to me, because when Leia puts down Chewie as a "walking carpet" I feel bad for him because it is insulting to him. When she acts like that to Threepio, telling him to "Shut up" in ESB, I don't feel bad for Threepio at all because (aside from being incredibly annoying lol ) I see him as a tool. :)

JimJamBonds
08-01-2005, 11:56 PM
It's different to me, because when Leia puts down Chewie as a "walking carpet" I feel bad for him because it is insulting to him. When she acts like that to Threepio, telling him to "Shut up" in ESB, I don't feel bad for Threepio at all because (aside from being incredibly annoying lol ) I see him as a tool. :)

Do you see him as a tool or as a Tool? lol