PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Discover 10th Planet

JetsAndHeels
07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Very interesting story here. Looks like we have ourselves another planet in our solar system.
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/jul/HQ_05209_10th_Planet.html

InsaneJediGirl
07-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Cool.Just goes to show if you look in your own backyard,you'll never know what you find.Hopefully in the coming weeks/months they'll release more information on the planet besides its bigger than Pluto and farthest away.

Kidhuman
07-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I know they found a star wars like planet(3 suns) recently, but didnt they find one last year just after Pluto? If so wouldnt this be #11?

Ji'dai
07-29-2005, 10:25 PM
There was some controversy about whether Pluto should be considered a planet. The family of the discoverer was upset that his contribution to the field was being marginalized if Pluto was no longer thought a planet. But who really cares about those far off planets anyway? I think we should keep any eye on the planets closer to home - I saw a documentary on Cartoon Network about these Martians that have Alludium q-36 Explosive Space Modulators. Frightening stuff!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Heyo! De been namin' deesa planets after da guds de have, so here'sa da name for dis new-ie one: Heyblibber. Okee-day?

I'm just glad there's good news to present for a change, especially space-related news.

JetsAndHeels
07-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Let's name it Krypton!!

Ok, I know it would never happen (unless I discovered it) but a guy can dream, can't he? :crazed:

Hellboy
07-31-2005, 01:29 AM
I love this kind of stuff. I just wish we as humans would spend more time and money exploring the mysteries of the galaxy.

but didn't they find one last year just after Pluto? If so wouldnt this be #11?

I do seem to remember hearing about a simliar discovery some time ago and this planet was originally discovered in 2003 so maybe they're one in the same.

Slicker
07-31-2005, 09:11 AM
They have found plenty of "planets" in the solar system that are the size of Pluto. As has been stated above many people want to take Plutos planet status away due to its small size. Most of these are located in Kuiper Belt and are just abnormally large asteriods. They should just keep the Solar System as is and classify these ones as asteriods and not create any new planets because theres really no point in doing so.

JediTricks
07-31-2005, 01:47 PM
didnt they find one last year just after Pluto? If so wouldnt this be #11?There's a line in this NASA article that says "Brown, Trujillo and Rabinowitz first photographed the new planet with the 48-inch Samuel Oschin Telescope on October 31, 2003. However, the object was so far away that its motion was not detected until they reanalyzed the data in January of this year. In the last seven months, the scientists have been studying the planet to better estimate its size and its motions." So the one you refer to is likely the same one that we're talking about here.

Ji'dai, we shouldn't worry too much, the government already has sent an elite team on its way to battle the Martian menace on Planet X, the only known repository of Illudium Phosdex, the shaving cream atom.

By the way, with a thread title like this, I thought it was going to be another "yo momma" thread. :p

JetsAndHeels
07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
By the way, with a thread title like this, I thought it was going to be another "yo momma" thread. :p

Hey man, I don't resort to talking about people's mommas on the net. I will save that for real life. lol

And I don't care what they name this new planet...I am still calling it Krypton.
Let's hope this one does not explode

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-31-2005, 10:14 PM
I think for continuity's sake they should name this new planet "Myanus."

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 08:04 AM
How about "Yomammasanus"? :p

The way I see it is that if Pluto gets to be a planet, then they all should be allowed. If they reject planetary status for this one, then take Pluto's away. There shouldn't be two different sets of rules.

I think the only reason Pluto is still a planet is because the U.S. Department of Education is paying NASA (or whoever the hell is in charge) so they don't have to buy an a**load of new Astronomy texts. :D

Rocketboy
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
That, and the planetary acronym would have to be totally rewritten, costing the government billions.

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Your very eager mother just served us nine pizzas.

Nootch.

El Chuxter
08-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Don't "they" discover a new tenth planet about every three or four years, and then the discovery is refuted a couple of months later?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-01-2005, 02:44 PM
How about "Yomammasanus"? :p

Yeah, maybe that's better than "Myanus," simply because "Yomammasanus" is about as big as a planet.

Oh schnaps! :p

Ji'dai
08-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Ji'dai, we shouldn't worry too much, the government already has sent an elite team on its way to battle the Martian menace on Planet X, the only known repository of Illudium Phosdex, the shaving cream atom.

If by elite team you mean that duck and the pig, then I'm not reassured :sur:

I think the name should be Persephone so Pluto won't be so lonely. Though I guess Mickey would be just as fitting. I'm surprised companies aren't bidding to have the planet named after them. Planet Verizon Wireless!

They may be reluctant to continue with the Greco-Roman mythology naming convention since so many Trek planets were named for them too. Kronos, Vulcan, Romulus, Remus :D

JediTricks
08-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Early reports suggest that they succeeded in keeping the shaving cream atom out of the hands of enemy forces... early reports seem to suggest that there has been moderate-to-heavy collateral damage, but our leaders say they're sure it was worth it.

They should name this planet "I'm with stupid" and we could build a giant laser to project a huge arrow onto its atmosphere.

Bobby Fett
08-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Nootch.

Nootch? Nootch? :confused:

Kidhuman
08-01-2005, 11:15 PM
I say name it Kidhuman.

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Nootch? Nootch? :confused:
You want some of this, too?!?!? :p

I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about this on the news. It was all over them still this morning. No one will remember this thing in a week.

Except us.

Yeah, maybe that's better than "Myanus," simply because "Yomammasanus" is about as big as a planet.
That's OK since it's in the "No,Yomammasanus" galaxy. :D

Rocketboy
08-02-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about this on the news. It was all over them still this morning. No one will remember this thing in a week.

Except us. Remember what?

Kidhuman
08-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Remember the Alamo