PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Exclusives?

SithDroid
01-15-2002, 04:40 PM
First of all I have two points to this.

1. I am tired of exclusives to Wal-Mart, Target, Toys' R Us, Kay-Bee, etc..

It is extremely hard to find some of these exclusives when they come out because, unlike many people, I don't like to go from Toys' R Us to Target to Wal-Mart, etc... everyday. Especially if they never get anything in. Also the Wal-Mart in my area is just plain old dirty and I don't like going in there. The Toys'R Us where I live hardly ever gets anything in Star Wars in anymore, exclusives or regular figures. The only luck I have is at Target. I think that they should do away with these exclusives and just sell stuff that you can buy anywhere. That way everyone can find it easily. Which brings up my next point....

2. If Hasbro is worried about LOSING money by producing figures that not everyone wants, then I have a solution.

Since we know that Hasbro probably won't release the Cantina 2-packs without a MAIN character in them, then why don't they just start making Star Wars Fan Club exclusives. If you really want the figure then you can get it from them and also this helps to stop the amount of pegwarming that most figures do. That way Hasbro can design a line for the collector and then gear one towards children that can be easily available at stores.

Does anyone agree with me on either of these points? I'd like to hear what you have to say.

mabudonicus
01-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Indeed, that would be the way to go. That strategy would be brilliant(which explains why it can't happen) Here in Ontario we don't have kaybee or target, so any of the exclusives end up excluding most of us. I really don't like the built-in collectability of stuff that is poorly distributed. I like the figures and all, but if I know that some of them will be impossible to come by without, IMO, way too much effort(or shelling out too much bread), it kind of dulls my interest. I won't die without them, so I won't run around looking for them like my life depended on it. If distribution of the figures for EI(and POTJ subsequently) hadn't been so squirrely in my area, I could list at LEAST 10 figures I would have picked up without thinking twice. As it was, it just filled me with sour grapes. If the folks that want the figures can't get what they want, what's the point of it all?

Darth Evil
01-15-2002, 05:57 PM
You guys have it great, here in Ireland (where there are none of the chain toyshops you mentioned) the only place I can get exclusives is in comic shops at ten times the normal price! AND they rarely have them, Hasbro really screws everyone on Europe!

Dryanta
01-15-2002, 06:48 PM
I can sympithsize with the Europians.I live in Maine.Ever been here?I have a walmart in the next town over.Problem is a couple of the stock boys get all the good stuff before it sees the shelf.TRU is 75 miles away and our first Target just opened behind the TRU.So I end up getting my exclusives by mail order at inflated prices.The fan club idea to me is perfect.We could finally get(key word "get")the figures and ships we really want.If the kids don't want them don't put them on the store shelves.Give us a way to get them with out Hasbro wasting money.
Why not like D.C. comics direct?Pre order a few monthes early and only make enough of the toys to fill the orders plus a small surplus for future sales.Would we finally get a new Imperial shuttle and the still large number of characters we want? I bet we would.

LTBasker
01-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Darth Evil
You guys have it great, here in Ireland (where there are none of the chain toyshops you mentioned) the only place I can get exclusives is in comic shops at ten times the normal price! AND they rarely have them, Hasbro really screws everyone on Europe!

I can't say I have it just as bad, but pretty darn close. The nearest Toy-R-Us and TARGETs are 17 miles away, and the closest area with any TARGETS and Toy-R-Us has 4 TARGETs and 2 TRUs, and I'm 15 so I'm just stuck with a deadbeat Wal-Mart that's like 3-5 miles away. Everytime I've gotten to the nearest TARGET for an exclusive they've been sold out, except when I got lucky and they had 2 12" Kaadus on an EMPTY shelf!!!! Guess it never crosed their minds that maybe they need some more stock out there. Exclusives are lame, or at they are the way they're doing it! Y-wing, Skiff, B-wing, 12" Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike, 12" Luke with Speeder Bike, TIE Interceptor, I'm missing them all and guess how much they're gonna cost on-line after S&H. :frus: :mad: :Pirate:

Jargo
01-15-2002, 07:15 PM
But there should be NO elitism in the toy collecting world. And I class kids as collectors too. It's only a lack of money and a drivers licence that stops interested kids from getting out there and hunting the way we do.
There should be NO store exclusives and NO fan club exclusives and NO exclusives whatsoever.
There should be a pan global distribution system that unites the countries in a common aim - collecting fantastic toys. Okay, so that last comment is a little off just now, but generally they ARE fantastic toys and I love them just the same as all you Americans who at least can get to a TARGET or WAL*MART or KAY-BEE if push comes to shove. It isn't completely out of reach for you. What do I have to do to get a fan club exclusive or a store exclusive, emigrate?
Stuff the *****footing around and get the toys out to the folk who want them. The folks all over the world who want them.
No more Eopies in Europe only, no more asian exclusive battle droid 2-packs, no more mail-in figures on cereals we don't get in the rest of the world. Just get the toys out there for pete's sake.

Dryanta
01-15-2002, 07:47 PM
I really do see your point E.J. Are you unable to join the fan club?If I sounded elitist about kids that was not my intent.But I would say there are more differences than money and a drivers license.Any way,the only good thing about exclusives is they have been toys that would never see wide distribution because the sales would have never met the cost.Then again if so many of us can't get them,is there a good thing?

Jargo
01-15-2002, 08:07 PM
I just kinda got carried away with the rant there sorry ;)

I do think there's a huge amount of kids who would be collectors if they had been able to find the toys they wanted. I lost count of the times I had to point disappointed kids and parents to the local scalper shop after they found nothing at TRU if I was in there.

No we don't have access to the fan club. Well yes and no. There is a UK fan club but it's vastly overpriced and pretty lame from what I can tell. And they don't get current stuff so there's no way you could get the upcoming stormie 4-pack for instance for atleast another four years or something stupid like that. And we can't join the US fan club which has a US only policy.

WAL*MART bought out a big supermarket chain here and even thoug they own the chain the only difference in stock has been more electronic goods like washing machines and microwaves at discount prices taking up the room that the toys used to. :mad:

I do think there either ought to be an end to the exclusives, a more global selling policy and a lifting on the US only policy at the fan club,
Or, Hasbro should give us more say in what we want made. This would obviously lead to contention from some people as they can't please everyone. But with more input from the people who buy there would be less of the harsh feedback like we're seeing over the episode two figures right now.
If Hasbro had had more interest in the consumer and less interest in their self serving attitude they might have heard so many voices saying no to one pose figures for so long and wouldn't be faced with the impending disaster of a whole slew of pegwarming figures from the first wave of episode two figs.

About the only thing they have got right lately is the deluxe figures and the vehicles but look how long it took them to get round to those!!! :rolleyes:

Jayspawn
01-16-2002, 01:15 AM
I've had good luck with all the exclusives. I don't mind them but I can understand people who can't get them. It's like waiting forever for a new toy that everyone seems to have but you.

GNT
01-16-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Darth Evil

Australia the same though we do TRU and Kmart, TRU is the only hope in getting exclusives but how are you meant top share say 3 figures amoung the 5o or so cellectors in my area???

And whats my chance of getting a celebration 2 Luke X-wing figure? I'll have to resort to scalpers to get it :(

Darth Evil
01-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Only one shop in the city where I live has Star Wars figures and it's a comic shop, so the figures are insanely expensive. For example, the POTJ Deluxe Maul and Bacta Luke are 25! That's madness, the cheapest SW figure in there is 8.

187-Maul
01-16-2002, 02:53 PM
I really don't get why everybody always says eopie etc. mostly got released in europe - I live in france and often go to the netherlands and germny and I can't get starwars figs ANYWHERE except in a few comic-shops (and a toysrus with 1 POTJ fig) I know but also only the plain figures and highly overpriced

Dryanta
01-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the fanclub E.J. Again I agree with everything you've said.I still wonder if our problem with Hasbro has a lot to do with them having very little respect for us.I would very much like to think that we could all get very good toys for what what we have to pay for them.If I had better access to exclusives I would be happy to get them to you.But I get mine though mail order 90% of the time.And I too have had to redirect kids in the toy isle to places that are only going to take advantage.

Dark Knight
01-16-2002, 08:52 PM
I agree with most of your's opinons. The distribution of the exclusives really really $ucks along with scalpers. It does get tiring and expensive and really suck when you don't find the item you want. But the hunt for the figure/ vehicle is exciting. Hopely more of the exclusive will become avaliable on-line.

:frus: :evil: :confused:

Obi-Don
01-17-2002, 10:21 AM
I have been fussing about this for a very long time. I hate exclusives. They should be band from the face of the Earth. Make all the toys easy for all of us to get no matter where you are. And yes, I believe that kids would become collectors to if they had a way of getting them.

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Bumped this back up because I thought it needed to be addressed again.

Heres the deal. force posted yesterday that TRU in my city got in the AT-ST yesterday. As it was after closing time when I found out, I decided I would go today to see if they were indeed there. I got there at 12:30 pm and they were all gone. It doesn't surprise me since:

A) TRU SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B) They NEVER order enough of SW.

C) It is an exclusive so I can't get it anywhere else.

I am tired of exclusives. I want to be able to get anything anywhere I can. I don't have an FAO Schwartz anywhere near me, so I have to order their exclusives online or go to ebay and pray I get a good deal. Well I am sick of them. You hear me Hasbro. SICK OF THEM. And while we're at it Hasbro, why do you grant exclusives to some places and not others? Service Merchandise is now out of business and I never had one in my town because it closed down WAY before the AT-AT driver was offered. Also KB toys sucks for toys. They are always mangled and are in extremely poor condition and they are WAY OVERPRICED on everything they sell. How come we haven't seen exclusives for the other two top selling stores, K-Mart and Shopko? Not that I want them because I want them to be GONE. The only exclusives that I wouldn't mind would be the Official Fan Club. Why? Because that way you could produce figures that the "general public" wouldn't want, but the collector would. But only if they can make enough figures to go around since I still can't get a 25th Anniversary Darth Vader because my newsletter never got sent to me in time to tell me they were being sold and also because you guys didn't make enough. I'm sorry for ranting, but the truth must be told. Also, for all of my fellow foreign SW fans, START MAKING STUFF MORE EASILY AVAILABLE TO THEM. They have it way worse than us here in the U.S. and they should be allowed to get what we get AND at roughly the same time not two or three months down the line. I know this is in the AOTC section, but can a moderator please move this to the Dear Hasbro section. Thanks.

Whew, I feel better.

evenflow
03-16-2002, 01:51 AM
I am not going to lie, I am torn about exclusives. I like them alot. I think that they are a good idea for the most part. I am going to say that i like them and think they should keep on coming.

Fulit
03-16-2002, 11:25 AM
The state of Arkansas might as well be in Europe or Canada for all the trouble I have here finding exclusives. We have two TRU's and both of them are frequented by the scalper scum who runs K and C. This guy has had all the exclusives from the past couple of years and his prices are sadistic. Down with exclusives!

IcebergSlim
03-16-2002, 02:27 PM
The only people who like exclusives are the ones who have a Target, TRU, Wal-Mart, Kay-Bee & FAO in their city.....

I can't stand exclusives because I live in Canada, and I will never see the likes of a Y-Wing or Desert Skiff. The only TRU exclusive I ever found was the TIE Interceptor, and I found a B-Wing at a US Target one time. It's just simply not fair for the majority of collectors who don't live in major US cities, because I will NOT pay $80 CAN for a Y-Wing off of Ebay....

mark2d2
03-16-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm somewhat torn on this whole issue. Now that I am a reformed completist, and only buy what I really want -- I've mellowed on the whole store exclusive thing. Like it or not, it does allow for a much wider variety of ships to be made. (I honestly don't think the TIE BOMBER would have ever seen a general release.) So, now when something I really like is coming out exclusively --- I buy it online. Hey, the BOMBER only set me back about five dollars over retail which is less than I'd have spent on Gas out here in LA chasing it down.

Besides, I know that the dreaded "store exclusive" is my ONLY HOPE for getting my lifelong dream rereleased/retooled vintage vehicle. THE SAND CRAWLER ! ! !

InsaneJediGirl
03-16-2002, 03:22 PM
I really,really dislike exclusives.I never find them,I searched my local TRU/KRU for one..I literally tore up the SW section to see if
I could find the AT-ST.No luck same with the TIE Interceptor and
B-Wing.

North Central Florida does not have a big scapler market for SW either,so what is going on?Are you sending the waves to
a small island off the coast of Africa so collectors cannot find them?I know forgien Collectors have much,much more problems
so where are their cases too?

2-1B
03-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Hey, the BOMBER only set me back about five dollars over retail which is less than I'd have spent on Gas out here in LA chasing it down.

Cool ! I think it's always important to consider the costs of gas and one's time when thinking about an internet order. Enjoy!

billfremore
03-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Being a Canadian I hate exclusives.

Oh sure we've got TRU's and Wal-marts here but I have yet to see a major exclusive toy anywhere here.

No AT-ST's.
No Snowspeeders.
No nothing.

And a big thanks to Hasbro for making all of those Target exclusives (please note sarcasm here) since there are none in my country.

Oh, there is one comic shop that has the Target exclusive Y-wing and B-wing, but apparently the owner believes that $150 is a reasonable price for these items.

Any wonder nobody's buying Star Wars toys except collectors?
They're either impossible to find, ridiculously expensive when you do or it's stuff you've already got or don't want. As a result of this, we get rows and rows of Princess Leia Bespin Escape and Ketwol pegwarmers, which leads the stores to believe that the
product isn't moving so they don't order any more.

It's a lovely Catch-22 we're in here.

Sorry for the rant but I'm just frustrated lately.

By the by, I'm headed to Orlando in couple of weeks. Anybody know how the selection is down there?