PDA

View Full Version : Football ABC

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
As a companion to the "Baseball ABC" thread, and since the pigskin is coming soon, who are your all-time top players by alphabetical order? Mine is incomplete, because I haven't looked into it as closely as my baseball one, but maybe that'll spawn better discussions.

Allworth, Lance WR
Brown, Jim RB
Carter, Cris WR
D
Elway, John QB
Favre, Bret QB
G
H
I
Jones, Deacon DL
K
Largent, Steve WR
Marino, Dan QB
N
O
Payton, Walter RB
Quick, Mike WR
Rice, Jerry WR
S
Tarkenton, Fran QB
U
V
White, Reggie DL
Xerxes, Jancy Q. P/LB/OL :p
Youngblood, Jack DL
Zorn, Jim QB

And yours, fellow fans?

JetsAndHeels
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Allen, Marcus RB
Brown, Jim RB
Campbell, Earl RB
Dickerson, Eric RB
Elway, John QB
Fouts, Dan QB
Greene, Joe DT
Harris, Franco RB
Jurgensen, Sonny QB
Kelly, Jim QB
Largent, Steve WR
Montana, Joe QB
Namath, Joe QB
Otto, Jim C
Payton, Walter RB
Rice, Jerry WR
Sanders, Barry RB
Taylor, Lawrence LB
Unitas, Johnny QB
V
White, Reggie DL
Young, Steve QB

Im going by all time greats....not necessarily players I am a fan of

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2005, 07:20 PM
I'll add in the ones I'd left out, plus a change or two.

A
B
C
Dickerson, Eric RB
E
F
Graham, Otto QB
Hutson, Don WR
Irvin, Michael WR
J
Kelly, Jim QB
L
M
Nitschke, Ray LB
Otto, Jim C
P
Q
R
Smith, Emmitt RB
T
Unitas, Johnny QB
VanBrocklyn, Norm QB
W
X
Young, Steve QB (hate giving any SF members any props :frus: )
Z

Im going by all time greats....not necessarily players I am a fan ofThat's the way it should be, even though that means I have to recognize teams that I (ahem) am less than thrilled to show any positive aspects of. :rolleyes:

figrin bran
07-31-2005, 10:39 PM
i don't have time to think of an entire list now but the first one would be:

Aikman, Troy

2-1B
08-01-2005, 04:11 AM
You guys are all forgetting Donald Igwebuike as the letter I. lol

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Good thread(s), BCJ!

Aikman, Troy
Bennett, Cornelius
Conlan, Shane
Dierdorf, Dan
Elway, John
Flutie, Doug
Greene, "Mean" Joe
Hall, Dante
I
Jackson, Bo
Kelly, Jim
Largent, Steve
McCaffery, Ed
Nitschke, Ray
O
Payton, Walter
Q
Reed, Andre
Smith, Bruce
Tasker, Steve (Best Special Teams player EVER!)
Unitas, Johnny
Vinatieri, Adam
Williams, Doug
X
Young, Steve
Z

And for the record, my All-Time coach is Marv Levy.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2005, 10:58 AM
You guys are all forgetting Donald Igwebuike as the letter I. lolIsn't he still the Bucs all-time leading scorer? I am TRULY sorry I neglected to list him, and so I owe a BSLOS for it:

"In you I feel so hungry,"
In you I crash cars." ;)

CaptainSolo seems to have a Buffalo Bills flavor to the list... no OJ instead of Bruce? Tasker over Thurman?

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
CaptainSolo seems to have a Buffalo Bills flavor to the list... no OJ instead of Bruce? Tasker over Thurman?
Man, the 90's Bills are my favorite teams ever. Thanks for noticing, BCJ! I eliminate OJ from all lists based on his...uhhh...."off-field antics". I would have loved to have had Thurman Thomas on that list, but Steve Tasker is probably my favorite player ever and I feel his play better warrants his name on the list. Thomas was good, Tasker was GREAT. :D

JimJamBonds
08-01-2005, 12:16 PM
CaptainSolo seems to have a Buffalo Bills flavor to the list...

But how could he have forgot about Don Beebe?

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
But how could he have forgot about Don Beebe?
I thought of that after the list was done and in my laziness never went back to edit it. Besides, I have "Easy" Ed McCaffery and Steve Largent on my list. Two white wide recievers is enough. :D

2-1B
08-01-2005, 02:03 PM
And now you guys are forgetting Jeff Query at the Q spot. :rolleyes:

:D

I hate the '90s Bills, I seriously do/did and I'm sorry to the fans of them here, no offense meant. It was just so boring to always have them dominate the AFC and then always come up short, adding to the status quo of the AFC being soft and weak. Don't get me wrong, 4 SBs in a row is an incredible achievment and I do recognize that . . . it just got boring to see them at the "top" all time without finishing the season off with a win.

JimJamBonds
08-01-2005, 02:12 PM
And now you guys are forgetting Jeff Query at the Q spot. :rolleyes:

:D

I don't think anybody outside of NE Wisconsin is going to remember who Jeff Query was... and even then only people like us who remember the weirdest stuff. :D

I hate the '90s Bills, I seriously do/did and I'm sorry to the fans of them here, no offense meant. It was just so boring to always have them dominate the AFC and then always come up short, adding to the status quo of the AFC being soft and weak. Don't get me wrong, 4 SBs in a row is an incredible achievment and I do recognize that . . . it just got boring to see them at the "top" all time without finishing the season off with a win.

Just like the Atlanta Braves of MLB? lol

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Just like the Atlanta Braves of MLB? lol
And the Minnesota Vikings of yore.

I can understand why people don't/didn't like the Bills. I get sick of seeing the Yankees and Patriots do the same thing year in and year out (though with different results). It's the same thing, just different. But when your options are the 90's Bills or the 90's Lions, the choice is pretty simple. lol

2-1B
08-02-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm not sick of the Patriots, of course I didn't want them to win 3 of the last 4 BUT it was fun watching people try to take it away from them . . . as opposed to the Bills who were always being slapped. lol lol lol

Rogue II
08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Andre Reed, WR
Bruce Smith, DE
Cornelius Bennett, LB
Darryl Talley
Eric Dickerson, RB
Fred Smerlas, NT
Gastineau, Mark
Hull, Kent, C
Icky Woods, RB
James Lofton, WR
Kelly, Jim, QB
Lawyer Milloy, S
Moulds, Eric, WR
Norwood, Scott, K (WIDE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!)
O.J. Simpson, RB
Paup, Bryce, LB
Q
Reich, Frank, QB
Steve Tasker, WR/Special Teams
Thurman Thomas, RB (bonus points for double T?)
Urlacher, Brian LB
Vincent, Troy, S
White, Reggie
X
Young, Steve
Z

Ok, so I'm a bit of a Bills fanboy. So shoot me.

No seriously, shoot me.

JimJamBonds
08-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Jeez you guys really like that Buffalo Bills kool-aid. :p To be honest I liked those guys and think they should have one a couple of the Super Bowls. Those were great players/coach's just where never able to git r done. :)

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2005, 07:40 AM
I love the list, Rogue II! There can never be enough Bills on one list! :D

With one exception. Never under ANY circumstances should Scott "Ray Finkle" Norwood be included on a list like that, especially when Steve Christie is absent from said list. C'mon, man. You should know better. Phil Simms didn't win a Super Bowl for the Giants, Scott Norwood did. :p

Rogue II
08-02-2005, 09:44 PM
With one exception. Never under ANY circumstances should Scott "Ray Finkle" Norwood be included on a list like that, especially when Steve Christie is absent from said list. C'mon, man. You should know better. Phil Simms didn't win a Super Bowl for the Giants, Scott Norwood did. :p

I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. One other big fluke Superbowl MVP comes to mind. Larry Brown, a DB for the Cowboys when they played the Steelers. O'Donnell threw more passes directly to him than any of the Steelers' recievers. You would have sworn Brown was wearing a Pittsburgh jersey. Anyway, Brown signed a huge contract with the Raiders the following year and went from benchwarmer to being cut.

2-1B
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Jim Zorn, that's my Z selection. :p

Phil Simms didn't win a Super Bowl for the Giants, Scott Norwood did.

Actually, it was Jeff Hostetler at QB for the G-men in that game - Simms helped earn a ring by crushing the Denver Donkeys in XXI.

Speaking of SB 21, I'm now thinking of my Topps 1987 football set: a sentimental favorite of mine since that was the first one I completed a collection of. Anyway, I'm thinking of the Giants in that set and here's a blast from the past, get ready for this one . . . Phil McConkey ! ! ! lol

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Anyway, I'm thinking of the Giants in that set and here's a blast from the past, get ready for this one . . . Phil McConkey ! ! ! lol
I remember that card! Is he on a knee with his mouth open? With his moustache in full glory?!? lol

QLD
08-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Interesting thread.

Some of my answers will be biased, but oh well. And I am just doing this off my head too, so, I may be forgetting people.

A - Allen, Marcus
B - Butkus, Dick
C - Campbell, Earl
D - Dickerson, Eric
E - Elway, John
F - Favre, Brett
G - Graham, Otto
H - Harris, Franco
I - Irvin, Michael
J - Jurgenson, Sonny
K - Kelly, Jim
L - Long, Howie
M - Montana, Joe
N - Newsome, Ozzie
O - Olsen, Merlin
P - Payton, Walter
Q - Quick, Mike
R - Rice, Jerry
S - Sanders, Barry
T - Taylor, Lawrence
U - Unitas, Johnny
V - Van Brocklin, Norm
W - White, Reggie
X -
Y - Young, Steve
Z - Zeier, Eric

2-1B
08-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Eric Zeier is on fire ! lol lol lol

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Interesting thread.

Some of my answers will be biased, but oh well. And I am just doing this off my head too, so, I may be forgetting people.
Okay, then I'll give this "bias" a try, too. Notice how the San Francisco "greats" magically disappear! :rolleyes:
A - Allen, Marcus
B - Bradshaw, Terry
C - Carter, Anthony
D - Dickerson, Eric
E - Esaison, Boomer
F - Fouts, Dan
G - Greene, 'Mean' Joe
H - Harris, Franco
I - Igwebuekwe, Donald
J - Jackson, Ricky
K - Kosar, Bernie
L - Lambert, Jack
M - Marino, Dan
N - Namath, Joe
O - Oliphant, Mike
P - Plunkett, Jim (okay, I'm willing to forget his tumultulous years there)
Q - Quick, Mike
R - Roby, Reggie (loved that watch! )
S - Sanders, Barry
T - Thomas, Derrick
U - Unitas, Johnny
V - Vanbrocklyn, Norm
W - Woodson, Rod
X - Xerxes, Yancy Q. :p
Y - Youngblood, Jack
Z - Zorn, Jim

JimJamBonds
08-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Okay, then I'll give this "bias" a try, too. Notice how the San Francisco "greats" magically disappear! :rolleyes:

And replaced with Steelers! ;)

vader68
08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
How about this:

A- Aikman,Troy
B-Bates,Bill
C-
D-Dorsett,Tony
E-
F-
G-
H-Harriss,Cliff
I-Irvin,Michael
J-Jones, "Too Tall" Ed
K-
L-Lilly,Bob
M-Meredith,Don
N-Novacek,Jay
O-
P-Pearson,Drew
Q-
R-Renfro,Mel
S-Smith,Emmitt:Staubach,Roger
T-
U-
V-
W-White,Randy
X-
Y-
Z-
This was just off the top of my head, I know there are more.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2005, 06:57 PM
How about this:

This was just off the top of my head, I know there are more.:DAnd replaced with Cowboys! ;) Can't say I know of any others for you to add, but Steeler-for-a-day Larry Brown could fit. (How do you throw directly to an opponent? :mad: )

vader68
08-05-2005, 07:18 PM
And replaced with Cowboys! ;) Can't say I know of any others for you to add, but Steeler-for-a-day Larry Brown could fit. (How do you throw directly to an opponent? :mad: )

If I remember correctly, Odonnel said he had something in his eye.:D