PDA

View Full Version : Lucas interview on sw.com... what the?

JediTricks
01-15-2002, 09:11 PM
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020115/index.html (it's an ep 2 story, so small spoilers in it)

Ok, this interview kinda made me burst a blood vessel in my brain because of how frustrating these statements in it were.

It's titled "George Lucas Interview - The Story Comes First" and all I can think is "how does Jar Jar stepping in crap or getting farted on or losing the gungan battle fit into 'the story'?!?".

Then there's this comment by Lucas:
So the story comes first. And I can't really play it to an audience. I mean the story is what the story is.Right, so the Ewoks and Jar Jar weren't pandering to little kids. :rolleyes: And if the "story is what the story is", then why did Obi-Wan's part in Ep 1 get turned into this whole new character, Qui-Gon Jinn, only during preproduction? Later, Lucas kinda backs up that action with some other comments, but really, that is a fundamental change.

There's one part where Lucas talks about how much he likes editing, and he thinks that's where the movie comes together for him as a film. For me, Ep 1's weakest point was its editing, so I cannot fathom how Lucas feels he succeeded there when he had to have someone else come in and re-edit the last sequence of the movie.

I dunno, there's more that makes me tear out my hair when I read it, it's like Lucas is totally deluding himself on some things where he says "if you have one bad idea in a film, it really does suck up a lot of your good ideas", the flaw being that he didn't recognize the bad ideas in Ep 1 eating the good ones yet he knows they would, but those above really stick with me. Reading this interview is like being kicked in the head by a very old mule. I hope for Ep 2, Lucas does follow his words there, but I'm still frustrated with Ep 1 because I don't think the story came first.

JediTricks
01-15-2002, 09:35 PM
To be honest, I feel like shaking Lucas and saying "LOOK WHAT YOU'RE SAYING! LOOK WHAT YOU DID! HOW DO THESE JIVE TOGETHER?!?" because it's frustrating. If I didn't love Star Wars, I could simply walk away like so many others have done, but I do, so I stick and just hope certain mistakes aren't repeated again. Please don't take my comments on this thread as "just another negative whiner", it's not about that, it's actually that part of my hopeful nature saying "why can't this be better? will Lucas learn from his mistakes in time?". I think that's the feeling for many folks who are being called "negative" or "whiners", they have secret hope for something great and it's frustrating to see it not pay off and tarnish that one bright thing.

Thrawn
01-15-2002, 09:48 PM
This is from a super secret inside source at the ranch.
With the incredible success of ESB Lucas suffered a fatal heart attack and died.

Soon after he was replaced...by a C L O N E !
It all makes sense why he hasn't done anything great since 1981.

The Lucass clone's major weakness is fried chicken and stupid serial movie titles.

bigbarada
01-15-2002, 09:49 PM
I agree with many of your points, JT. I seem to remember Lucas saying in the "From Star Wars to Jedi" documentary, "A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

So, the killer fish sequence in Ep1 was his way of illustrating to us just how boring a storyless special effect can be?

bigbarada
01-15-2002, 09:51 PM
BTW, Thrawn, shouldn't that be Luucas?:D

JediTricks
01-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Barada, I've been thinking that for 3 years now - you hit the nail right on the head! It felt to me like Lucas edits takes together and actors' performances with CG junk without any thought as to how these FX are no longer a tool of the story.

Hee hee, I think that'd be "Lucaas".

JEDIpartner
01-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Actually boys, you ALL have it right... sorta.

During the interview "George" kept excusing himself and they would send in a fresh clone. It was Lucass, Luucas and Lucaas.

"How many people does it take to screw up the STAR WARS saga? Four. The three clones who couldn't get the facts straight and Rick McCallum.":p

2-1B
01-16-2002, 11:14 AM
Filmgoers are doomed if they ever clone Ricky McCallum :( :( :(

JediTricks
01-18-2002, 01:23 AM
Rick McCallum is actually a malformed 5th generation Lucas clone. :D

GNT
01-18-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Filmgoers are doomed if they ever clone Ricky McCallum :( :( :(

If they ever clone him (why would they clone a worthless person in the first place? anyways) I'd be forced to kill myself if they ever do,1 is enough,more then 1 is plenty!

2-1B
01-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Rick McCallum is actually a malformed 5th generation Lucas clone. :D

Hehehehehe that would explain his limited "dude" vocabulary :p

derek
01-18-2002, 09:54 PM
while i liked neeson's qui-gon, i too would of preferred to see obi wan insist on training anakin. i think it would of been better if qui-gon had been younger and been obi-wan's padawan.

JediTricks
01-19-2002, 01:58 AM
Another interesting route Derek, having QGJ being the apprentice that Anakin ends up replacing at the end. I do believe that's the first time I've ever seen that idea.

Obi-Don
01-19-2002, 04:15 AM
That is a neat twist on the story and a believeable one.

I watched the dvd "the Beigning"The making of TPM.I will say it was interesting but was let down by what I saw. Lucas seems to be all wrapped up in himself. I know it was his idea and story but... Lets not forget "dude Rick" and his way with words. To me GL sees the film as imcomplete until it has been hacked to death in the edit room. I wish someone had the balls to tell him that the parts he takes out leaves a hole a mile wide in the movie. Some of the deleted parts I have seen would have made the movie better and fit together.

JT , you have said it better than I can and I agree with you 100%. I think GL has lost sight of what he first set out to do. Maybe he needs to go back[without redoing the movies] and take a look at what he was first tring to do and get back into that mode of thinking.

I to am a Star Wars lover and I find my self saying'This could be better if". Maybe thats why I get so up set when I see the mistakes and missing parts. GL get off your high horse and get back to making SW like you did before. Your such a good story teller,but let someone else do the movies.That way you can put all your effort into making sure its done right and in the story.Let someone else do the directing and handling the money. You just do the writting that we all know you can do.

derek
01-19-2002, 08:00 AM
the original plan called for obi-wan to be older and qui-gon would be his apprentace. i think this was changed when neeson had his agent lobby lucas for a role and the older qui-gon was created. there is something about this in "the art of star wars E1" , page 202.

it would of been fitting for obi-wan to lose his padawan to maul and then attempt redemption by training anakin. i still would of gone the avenue of the two getting separated and the superior sowards-man maul killing qui-gon, but then obi-wan would soundly defeat maul, instead of getting "lucky" as he did.

mabudonicus
01-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Just had to say that what derek said about thinking "this could have been better if" is interesting- I really didn't like TPM for a lot of reasons, and I couldn't put a finger on how to explain how I felt about it. I remember being confused and conflicted as I left the theatre. I really hope that after AOTC we can walk out saying "YESSSSSSS".

chewie
01-20-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by derek
the original plan called for obi-wan to be older and qui-gon would be his apprentace. i think this was changed when neeson had his agent lobby lucas for a role and the older qui-gon was created. there is something about this in "the art of star wars E1" , page 202.

Neeson had his agent lobby Lucas? Then why was Neeson so upset and angry with how his role in TPM turned out? He would've gotten no role if he hadn't pushed for it. Ingrate! :)

JediTricks
01-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by derek

it would of been fitting for obi-wan to lose his padawan to maul and then attempt redemption by training anakin. i still would of gone the avenue of the two getting separated and the superior sowards-man maul killing qui-gon, but then obi-wan would soundly defeat maul, instead of getting "lucky" as he did. In my "Art of E1" page 202, it says:

"When Qui-Gon was introduced, Lucas toyed with the idea of having him being the younger of the two Jedi, and McCaig thus created an older-looking portrait of Obi-Wan."

And on page 13:

"When this painting was done, the character of Qui-Gon had not yet been added to the story. Thus, in this illustration, Obi-Wan waits to meet with the representatives of the Trade Federation--alone."

Clearly QGJ wasn't in the original draft according to this.

derek
01-21-2002, 10:53 PM
chewie,

i saw an interview with neeson and he said when he heard a new star wars film was going to be made, he had his "people" contact lucas to express interest. i didn't know neeson was unhappy with his character. fill me in...

jeditricks,

maybe i am stretching the quote here, but when they say "lucas toyed with the idea", i would bet that lucas already had his "working" draft of the film which included an older obi-wan, and instructed the art dept. to start on concepts, then neeson got wind of the film, expressed interest, and lucas re-wrote the roles.

and if you've watched the episode 1 documentary on dvd,(on your new playstation 2) we know neeson was signed to the film before mc gregor.

JediTricks
01-22-2002, 01:36 AM
Ah, but the first version of the script came before Neeson, so while Ewan may have joined later, the script was first.

SithDroid
01-30-2002, 01:41 AM
GL said that for the basic story he sticks to his original ideas. He also said that the essence of the movie stays the same and that he has kept the style of all the movies the same so that they all work as one piece.

If that is true, then how does that explain midichlorians. That's not true and it interfers with the OT, so obviously they don't work as one piece.

Also in the article he talks about good ideas and bad ideas. About how you may have tons of good ideas, but it is the bad ideas that usually tear apart a film.

I believe this part that he is talking about is the reaction of the fans to Jar Jar and to the midichlorians. He knows they were bad ideas and somehow has to make up for them.