PDA

View Full Version : The Name Game

InsaneJediGirl
08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Do you ever hate your name?Or at least the way people twist it around so its extremely annoying?

The thing I hate most is when I say my name is Autumn,they go "Oh,so you were born in the Fall" .Then they get all disappointed when I tell them I was born in the summer.Its mildly funny to watch their expressions change from thinking they are so smart to trying to backtrack.

Another is "Do you have a sister named Summer..OR...Why didnt your parents name you Summer" Do you people not have anything else to worry about then my name?:crazed: Its amazing what people will say.

Anyone else have some weird experiences with some crazy,name hating,people?:D

shammykenobi
08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah...my middle name is Shamus and that's what I've went by my entire life...about 10 years ago or so garth brooks had that stupid "shameless" song...which if you've never heard it, the chorus sounds suspiciously like he's singing my name...anyway, for over a year everytime I would meet someone and tell them my name, the would immediately sing the chorus to that stupid song...and they actually thought they were being funny...unfortunately I could never really think of any good thing to say when that happened.

JimJamBonds
08-02-2005, 12:12 AM
While I personally don't have any issues with my name I can think of a few that would cause problems. Brandy, a nice sounding name but it makes me think the parents like the sauce a bit too much, same thing goes with Sheri.

shammykenobi, your situation sound very similar to Michael Bolton's problem in the movie "Office Space." lol

Slicker
08-02-2005, 01:50 AM
shammykenobi, your situation sound very similar to Michael Bolton's problem in the movie "Office Space." lolThat's why that sounded familiar. Good one JJB#2.

I don't get too many different names but with a name like Nick I think you can think of a couple.:D

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2005, 07:21 AM
My name is Adam, so people always ask me where Eve is. And like IJG's story, they always act like they're the first person to ever think of saying that. Because, you know, that story has only been around 2000 years or so. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'll start telling people that I killed her in a fit of rage. Take my rib will you?!

While I personally don't have any issues with my name
Where's 'Ike'? You guys make good candy together!

See, now you know how it feels. lol

bobafrett
08-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Okay, my first name is Barry. I hear "Barry Manilow" or "Barry White" both singers, and I can't carry a tune to save my life. Then I have people ask me if I'm a fruit "Barry" vs. "Berry", okay that one is getting old. I have one friend who calls me "B-man", which I kinda like, and my Dad at times calls me "Bear".

My last name is "Benecke" pronounced "Ben-A-Key". I can always tell if someone doesn't know me when they ask for "Be-Neck-Key" or "Bena-kie". I always hang up providing I don't catch it on the caller ID first.

Rebo's_Guitarist
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I only had problems in high school. I had Nasty-Nate, Masternate and its partner Masternater. Kids are so cruel.:crazed:

JimJamBonds
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Where's 'Ike'? You guys make good candy together!

See, now you know how it feels. lol

Honestly I've never had that one said to me before. It maybe happens every few years now but when I was younger I would be asked if I "liked it" based on a certain kids ceral commercial. :p

kool-aid killer
08-02-2005, 10:33 AM
My real name is Aaron. I went to high school with a girl named Erin, same grade and we had several classes together. What sucked was when one of us was called we usually didnt know who it was being directed at so we would look at each other to see who would attempt to answer the question posed. She and her friends would refer to me as "urine," but it wasnt meant to be offensive so i just laughed it off. What makes me mad is when people spell in it the female version of the name. I went to a psycho girls prom and she misspelled it twice on a picture she gave me. I actually had to tell her how it was properly spelled.

Kidhuman
08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Kids are so cruel.:crazed:

Think you had it bad. My last name is Bonomo, pronounced Bo-no-mo. SO I heard Bo-homo the homo. WHo's laughing now jacka$$es. Just look at my woman.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Think you had it bad. My last name is Bonomo, pronounced Bo-no-mo. SO I heard Bo-homo the homo. WHo's laughing now jacka$$es. Just look at my woman.

Yeah, I don't see any problems with our first names, because it is a kick arse name :) although some people say "Beam me up Scotty," or call me "Snotty."

My last name is Noah however and since I work in schools I get asked a lot "Did you build the ark?" at least twenty times a year, if not more. Plus, I have a twin brother, and anyone who is a twin knows that as soon as people find out, you are peppered with questions, the most annoying, yet one of the most common being, "If I punched you, would your brother feel it too?"

El Chuxter
08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
"Shameless" is a Billy Joel song that Garth Brooks shamelessly covered. ;)

I thought this was going to be a thread devoted to that classic oldie. The way it works out, my real name and my nickname are two of the only names that cannot be politely inserted into that song.

"Chuck, chuck, bo-buck
Banana-fana-fo. . . . Never mind."

"Rich, rich, bo-. . . . Never mind."

:crazed:

scruffziller
08-02-2005, 12:31 PM
My last name is BUELTEL. Aside from all the massive misspellings and wrong pronunciations, I had a few.

It is pronounced BEW-TELL. Kids would say PUKE-TELL or PEW-TELL.
They would even nick name me Butte. Or some would say Butt-ell.:frus:

I had some relatives and their last name was spelled BUELT. But it was pronounced BUILT.

Slicker
08-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I love how original people are when they make fun of your first names.

Man, people suck.:dis:

vader68
08-02-2005, 03:23 PM
My name is Rick, but when I was a kid everyone called me Ricky. So at school I would get asked where is Lucy.Or hey there is Ricki-Ticki-Tavi. I hated that. No wonder there are serial killers.

Rocketboy
08-02-2005, 07:48 PM
My last name is Griffith.
Not that hard right?
Well, apparently it is to about half the 'tards out there.
Its not Griffin - there is no "N" there.
And its not Griffit - the "H" is not silent.

Idiots.

2-1B
08-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Once in awhile I like to spell my name Toe Knee just to be silly.

I don't understand why some people named Richard go with the name Dick. :confused: I understand Rick, Ricky, Rich, and heck even Richie Rich. lol lol lol But where did that D come from ?
(not to mention the obvious double meaning).

JimJamBonds
08-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Speaking of funky spellings when I was in college I worked at a living history museum. Some kids wanted my autograph and since my 'character' couldn't spell I signed it Mykel, needless to say they didn't get it. :)

dr_evazan22
08-02-2005, 11:11 PM
My name is Ari, pronounced Ar-ee. Kids would make fun of me and call me Oreo. But so few people pronounce it correctly. A kid I met in 1st grade, who went on to become my best friend after HS, didn't say it right until I was about 21 or so. lol

Over the years I've heard of other Ari's. Was at a poker game at another friends house and there was another Ari there. Shocking!

Kidhuman
08-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Once in awhile I like to spell my name Toe Knee just to be silly.

I don't understand why some people named Richard go with the name Dick. :confused: I understand Rick, Ricky, Rich, and heck even Richie Rich. lol lol lol But where did that D come from ?
(not to mention the obvious double meaning).

Well, funny story. At my job an older guy called in by the name of Richard. I replied "how can I help you Richard"

He said" You can call me Dick"

I said I couldnt because I cant ssay the word with out sounding sarcastic.

Slicker
08-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I said I couldnt because I cant ssay the word with out sounding sarcastic.Well, honesty is the best policy Scotty Potty. Tee Hee!!

mabudonicus
08-03-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm kinda lucky, "Carl" is a hard name to rhyme with anything other than "Marl" which is a kind of lakeside geography that most kids don't know about

And my last name is Fuller, which I joke on myself, such as wearing the "fuller Pants" and my own version of the star wars E.U. called, most appropriately the F.U. or Fuller Universe of Star Wars (the one where 21-B was a soda machine)

scruffziller
08-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm kinda lucky, "Carl" )

Heh heh. I got one but I won't post it on the site.:D Some of you may know what I am talking about.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Heh heh. I got one but I won't post it on the site.:D Some of you may know what I am talking about.
That's hot.

When you have a son, mabs, can I call him "Carl, Jr."? :p

mabudonicus
08-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Ahh yes, Scruff, we didn't have that one when I was a lad :beard:
And Solo, I dunno if Jedielf would let me do that :D

jeddah
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
My surname is Bean. Work out what kind of life I've had. lol

Thank God for Boromir, No-one seemed to know who Alan was.

jeddah

scruffziller
08-03-2005, 06:13 PM
That's hot.

When you have a son, mabs, can I call him "Carl, Jr."? :p

You guys are always braver than I to post such things, yet I only elude to it.:(

bobafrett
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
I forgot about the cruel kids, seeing as I haven't been one for sometime now. Because I walk up on my right foot toes due to a surgery I had when I was 8, mostly when I'm not thinking about it, or my feet are tired, kids used to call me "Barry the Fairy". If I remembered who they were, I'd give them a good ol' fasshion whooping with the butt end of my E-11 blaster!

Kidhuman
08-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Well, honesty is the best policy Scotty Potty. Tee Hee!!

Nick the D***, hehehe(it aint nothing we both havent heard before either)

2-1B
08-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Yeah, Nick the D like in Bachelor Party. When that woman grabs the hot dog bun, that's too flipping funny. lol lol lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
With all the possibilities out there, my name hasn't been made fun of, that I can remember. I don't know if most of the other kids know that it also means "toilet" and, uh, "hooker's client" but I guess it would be hard to make something out of those.

When I was much younger, I'd hate it when people would call me Johnny or Johnny-John, for some reason. Oh yeah, it was annoying. :D

My last name is Lindquist but people always forget the "d," maybe since it's kind of hard to hear within all those letters.

DarthQuack
08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
With a last name being Quackenbush you hear it all through school, friends, family. The one thing that always got/gets on my nerves are when people spell it Quakenbush.....Ok, I'm not a quaker. Then I ask them how to spell quack and it's not rocket science we're talking here...But people can make all things out of it, Quackenthis Quackenthat, I've heard them all.

LTBasker
08-07-2005, 03:28 AM
My name's Andrew so I used to go by Andy in school. Got tons of "Andy Griffith" crap even though I hadn't heard of the series then. As usual, everyone who said it thought they were a frickin genius. Even when they said it while standing next to someone who just said it.

Then one kid decided to make fun of my last name, LaRue, by saying La-Loser. Don't you just love public schools...

Val Da Car
08-07-2005, 11:13 PM
wow...I don't feel to bad with my name...Damian

imagine growing up in the late 70's and early 80's (skip that even now)...are you the son of the Devil......where are your sixes???

wtf....

I tell people who ask me that question that my sixes moves to my ribs so people would not mess up my hair!

somehow my last name is Valentine.

at least the jokes on Feb 14 are down to minimum but now it has been replacement with that is "movie star" name, I correct them and say PRON STAR!

just my $.02

JimJamBonds
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
wow...I don't feel to bad with my name...Damian...

Every get any Jake the Snake Roberts reference's? ;)

Val Da Car
08-07-2005, 11:28 PM
no, but I tell them that I was named after the preist on the Hawaiian islands in the 1800's with the lepers (and my job is PC support so there is very little difference in the personality types) and it is the Greek word for Taming so that breaks the ice (without doing it on someones head)!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-08-2005, 12:23 AM
I read some stories in this thread of how people can be both funny and cruel in twisting people's names around. But nothing compares to the ribbing my best friend during high school got, his first name being Dave (completely normal) but his last name, god I couldn't fathom the amount of teasing he got before I knew him, was Woodcock.

2-1B
08-08-2005, 03:05 AM
Every get any Jake the Snake Roberts reference's? ;)

And going with that wrestling theme, ever get any Greg "The Hammer" Valentine references to your last name ? Any relation ? lol

InsaneJediGirl
12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Bringing this thread back up since I noticed something at Thanksgiving. Why do people(often family) try to give nick names to people when they already have their own?

My "Crazy Granny" called my one brother Joe/Joe Jr but we've always called him Joey. Same goes for the rest of the family,rarely does anyone go by their full name.(more so on Mom's side)

So why try to bunk the system?

Kidhuman
12-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, I dont know. Some people do their ow nthing. My wifes grandmother calls everyone by different names all the time.

El Chuxter
12-08-2005, 09:48 PM
My wife calls me ****head a lot.

bobafrett
12-08-2005, 09:56 PM
My son's mom called him Boo Bear when he was young, which then switched to Boo as he got older. I still call him Boo at age 14 instead of "son" (unless I'm about to have a serious discussion with him), or "Barry", his given name, which is the same as mine and also my fathers. My son does not like those outside the immediate family to call him "Boo", so I have to remember that when I am calling his friends house and the mother answers the phone.

LusiferSam
12-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I missed this thread the first around. My first is pretty hard to make fun of, but I still have problems from time to time. It stems from peoples boneheaded assumptions. The assumptions are the I either go by a nick-name or have a nick-name. Both are false. People who don't know me well are often mystified when I get ticked at them for they're ignorances.

My last name gives me the most trouble. There are two common problems. First is adding extra letters. Most people try to add a "R" sound when pronouncing it. There is no R in the word and you can't have a R sound without the letter R in there. Second is dropping letters. It's German, so it ends as "mann." Too often I see just "man" and it ticks me off big time. For those that don't, I'm dyslexic. So I try and pay close attention to stuff like that and just wish other people would too.

And it's not only my real name that gets misspelled but also my user name. A number of people here quote me as "LuciferSam." I'll let the reader figure out what's wrong.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
And it's not only my real name that gets misspelled but also my user name. A number of people here quote me as "LuciferSam." I'll let the reader figure out what's wrong.

Is there a reason it has an "s" instead of a "c," though? I got Piper at the Gates of Dawn last week and now I know (I think I know, anyway) where you got the username. :thumbsup: (Except for the "s," of course.)

LusiferSam
12-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Is there a reason it has an "s" instead of a "c," though? I got Piper at the Gates of Dawn last week and now I know (I think I know, anyway) where you got the username. :thumbsup: (Except for the "s," of course.)
Yes there is. Like I said in my last post, I'm dyslexic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexic). Now if you read down to Characteristics: Vision, reading, and spelling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexic#Vision.2C_reading.2C_and_spelling), the last item on that list is: "Spells phonetically and inconsistently." Lucifer spelled phonetically has an "s" not a "c."

In high school I'd put the name Lucifer Sam in my text books. But my senior year I went to go do this in my physics book and didn't have the CD with me. So I did what normally happens in those circumstances, I spelled it phonetically. Later I checked my spelling and spotted my error. But I liked and have keep that spelling since.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Yes there is. Like I said in my last post, I'm dyslexic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexic). Now if you read down to Characteristics: Vision, reading, and spelling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexic#Vision.2C_reading.2C_and_spelling), the last item on that list is: "Spells phonetically and inconsistently." Lucifer spelled phonetically has an "s" not a "c."

In high school I'd put the name Lucifer Sam in my text books. But my senior year I went to go do this in my physics book and didn't have the CD with me. So I did what normally happens in those circumstances, I spelled it phonetically. Later I checked my spelling and spotted my error. But I liked and have keep that spelling since.
Oh, cool. That's very interesting.

chrisc
12-13-2005, 08:52 PM
My name is Chris Carter. I have alot of people ask if I'm related to the NFL player chris carter. Also on the previouse subject of having the name Dick. There was a guy that does physicals, I have always know him as Mr. Head. I recently found out his first name was Richard. I don't know if his parents realized what his name was, or if they were really cruel parents. Richard ( Dick) Head.

Val Da Car
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
And going with that wrestling theme, ever get any Greg "The Hammer" Valentine references to your last name ? Any relation ? lol

Nice!!

I did watch some rascalin'....