PDA

View Full Version : NHL: Notable Player Movements.....

jjreason
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey there, hockey fans. Just a thread to discuss the surely-to-be-overwhelming personnel moves we're going to be seeing over the next couple of months. Has your team failed to sign your favorite player? Is your goalie headed to your most hated rivals? Let's talk about it here.

Movements of note so far (by my count):

Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuendyk from Toronto to Florida (Panthers)!

Wow, what the Leafs were thinking by not making worthy offers to these 2 keepers is completely unknown to me. Good luck filling those roster spots, jokers...... :p :D .

Adam Foote from Colorado to Columbus. Free agent signing.

Mike Commodore (if you consider him noteworthy) from Calgary to Carolina.

There are lots of big names left. Markus Naslund, Sergei Gonchar, Peter Forsberg (all unrestricted), Joe Thornton and others, restricted. There will most certainly be a lot of movement over the next 7 weeks.

Anyone out there your team is talking about trying to pick up?

Any wishlists from you the fans?

Rocketboy
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Well the Red Wings resigned Shanahan and Yzerman, while waiving Derian Hatcher, Ray Whitney, and fan favorite Darren McCarty.

jjreason
08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I saw the list of the Wings releases, I was also saddened and surprised that they wanted to part ways with McCarty. He was a good grinder with lots of toughness - not to mention a local (from just outside Windsor, ON). I'm sure he would have chosen to play out his career in the Wings uniform if he could - maybe no one will pick him up and the Wings can sign him back down the road.

jjreason
08-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Well as much as I hate double posting, there were A MILLION signings today. I'm sure I'll miss many of them, but here are a few:

Tony Amonte - from Philadelphia to Calgary
Darren McCarty - from Detroit to Calgary
Derian Hatcher - from Detroit to Philadelphia
Mike Rathje - from San Jose to Philadelphia
Chris Therien - from ? to Philadelphia
Mike Modano - staying in Dallas for 5 more years
Pavel Demitra - from St. Louis to NY Rangers (I think)
Alexei Zhitnik - from Buffalo to NY Islanders (again, I think)

I know there's more, I'll come back and edit this post once I have it sorted.

Tonysmo
08-03-2005, 04:23 AM
I am saddend and quite disturbed St Louis has traded away Chris Pronger. :mad: :frus: :dis: :cry:

I remember his 1st year with the Blues. They boooed the poor guy because he replaced Stl favorite Brenden Shanahan. now they will feel the pain of this loss..

Captain Spoon
08-03-2005, 06:27 AM
I think it is awesome to see all these veteran players being moved around, It will be a crazy season since there might not be a clear cut favorite (Colorado looks good so far though). I thik Toronto will be able to fill the spots they had to let some people go they had a good size payroll. Last rumors I checked had the Leafs close to getting Paul Kariya, whcih with the new rules could tear it up this year. I just hope the B's can keep Thorton and Sampsonov

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2005, 07:42 AM
McCarty leaving Detroit sucks. His numbers were worse than Tie Domi, but he was fun to watch. And no one in Calgary is gonna like Grinder :D

I'm glad Stevie Y came back for another year. Detroit hockey isn't gonna be the same when he retires. Again, his numbers are good, but it's the intangible "X" factor he has that makes him great.

As for the vets being scattered around, it doesn't surprise me. The rich teams are dumping them faster than the little guys can pick them up. A great example of this is Adam Foote going to the BJ's. He's fallen behind in Colorado, but Columbus will build their team around him. I think it's good for the game. As long as Detroit doesn't get rid of anyone :)

mabudonicus
08-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Still having trouble with the Leafs dropping Roberts :beard:
Domi is on the bubble right now, too, but from what I understand there's another club making FAR better offers than the Leafs have scrounged up so far

This season should be really interesting, with the wholesale changes in the rosters and the rules- the first few weeks should be pandemonium :D

jjreason
08-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Another mental day. Modano, contrary to my previous post, has NOT signed with Dallas, he refused their offer. Boston has money on the table apparently.

Marty Gelinas - from Calgary to Florida (oldest team in the league?)
Kevin Weekes - from Carolina to Rangers
Markus Naslund - staying in Vancouver
Jerome Iginla - staying in Calgary

Much more, too many to even keep up with. Still a few big names out there - Kariya supposedly going to the Sharks, no word on Forsberg..... madness.....

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Brian Leetch went to the Bruins. I don't care if he's in the last years of his career, that's a wicked addition to defense.

jjreason
08-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Mathieu Dandenault and Marty Rucinsky signed with Montreal.

As posted above Chris Pronger is going to Edmonton for 5 years - and they dealt Eric Brewer to get him. Brewer is a keeper, a Canadian national team player that will be great for years to come.

Brian Berard is signed (I believe by Columbus????).

For me the biggest fish in the pond Peter Forsberg is going to the Flyers. They are REALLY throwing the dough around.

Manny Fernandez will be back in Minnesota.

Mirko Satan is going to the Islanders, who dealt their captain Mike Peca to the Oilers, for Mike York and other considerations.

Sergei Gonchar is going to Pittsburgh, who might be the most improved team come October. Good for them.

And finally, Mike Modano HAS signed his 5 year deal with the Stars. He agreed, then reneged - then signed. I'm reading between the lines that his after-ice career may have been an unannounced consideration - he said this was the best deal for him considering the "long term". Great player, good to see him staying in Dallas.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Edmonton gets lucky with the addition of Peca. He is a workhouse and truly deserves the accolades he gets. Even though he isn't big, he can knock down the biggest men of the league.

The Flyers, particularly Booby Clarke seems to forget that the addition of big men, namely the three defenseman they signed, all listed at 6"5' (Rathke, Hatcher and Therien?) won't amount to success based on his past signings. Clarke is under the impression that the bigger men he gets, the more intimidating and tougher his team may be to beat, but don't count on it, as teams have always found the Flyer's weakness (mainly goaltending) come playoff time. Forsberg btw, was quite the signing for Philadelphia.

The team I follow, the Buffalo Sabres, lost two high-priced players (Satan and Zhitnik, both to the Isles) leaving them with a lot of cap-space, yet they haven't decided to take advantage of all that money they have saved, at least not yet.

Gonchar's signing in Pittsburgh is the first time in a long time, that the Pens coughed up a lot of money to sign a big-named player.

jjreason
08-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I was wrong about Rucinsky. He's going to the Rangers, along with Martin Straka.

The Habs signed Dandenault and Alexei Kovalev, who can be an absolute STAR there if he chooses to do so.

Pierre Turgeon is going to Colorado along with long-time Hab Patrice Brisebois to try and shore up the leak in their boat created by Forsberg's departure. The GM for Colorado was on last night saying he felt terrible, but would have had to move both Tanguay and Hejduk to allow for Forsberg's signing.... I don't think many Avs fans would have chosen to go that route.

This morning, loud-mouthed Leafs killer Jeremy Roenick was traded by the Flyers to the LA Kings to free up nearly 5 mil in very needed cap space.

Scott Niedermayer, another Canadian national team defencemen and former winner of the Norris trophy has signed with the Mighty Ducks. Huge, huge pickup for the Ducks, as both the Canucks and Flames had been hoping to add him to their rosters.

EDITED: Alexei Zhamnov is headed to Boston, to joing Brian Leetch.

For all your up to date signings, check out Yahoo......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=freeagentsignings&prov=st&type=lgns

Darth Jax
08-04-2005, 09:17 PM
so glad the NHL is back. least us colorado fans will have plenty of excuses when we bow out in the first round this year. losing foote won't hurt that much (if all the rule changes are implemented and clutching/grabbing is continued to be frowned on by the refs) since defense won't count for as much. the loss of forsberg will be felt for a long time. turgeon isn't anywhere in the same league as peter the great.

really looks like the poor pens may put one of the most exciting teams on the ice this year.

jjreason
08-06-2005, 03:26 AM
Paul Kariya has decided to play in Nashville - for what possible reason is anyone's guess. :D :p :greedy:

Rocketboy
08-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Lol, I guess 1 season with a decent contender (Avs) was too much pressure for him!

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2005, 06:14 PM
It seems the Bruins locked up their golden boy for a while longer today, signing Joe Thornton to a 3-year deal.

And in "That guys still alive?" news, Eric Lindros signed a 1-year deal with the Leafs. Any contract with Lindros is too long, IMO. That guys a walking (skating?) liability.

mabudonicus
08-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Awesome, ol Glass-skull Eric......
Honestly, I think it'll add a crazy dimension to Leafs fandom this year- I remember the first time I saw Lindros on the ice in a game- on his first shift he crossed a teammate behind his own net, took a knee-to-knee shot real hard and left the ice for the rest of the game (I think he was out several months that time but do not recall)
Hopefully we get a few more shifts than that from him :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Holy crap! Unbeknownst to me until I checked out their site today, the Red Wings brought back Chris Osgood! They signed "Ozzie" to a 1-year contract this past Monday. He's anothr one of those Darren McCarty-type fellas: he's not the best at his position, but he brings it every game. And the fans love him. He's another one of those "X" factor guys.

Slicker
08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Pretty sweet that the wings got Ozzie again. It's doubtful he'll play much though which is unfortunate because as you said he brings it every game.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Awesome, ol Glass-skull Eric......
Honestly, I think it'll add a crazy dimension to Leafs fandom this year- I remember the first time I saw Lindros on the ice in a game- on his first shift he crossed a teammate behind his own net, took a knee-to-knee shot real hard and left the ice for the rest of the game (I think he was out several months that time but do not recall)
Hopefully we get a few more shifts than that from him :beard:

Even though I can't stand him, if he stays healthy it could be good for the team. Here's to hoping for miracles. :D

jjreason
08-14-2005, 02:34 PM
For $1.75 million, I'm keeping Roberts before I sign Lindros (although I believe that's nearly dollar for dollar what they offered Gary - he just wouldn't stay because of their low offer to Nieuwendyk). It will be great to see Lindros in a Leafs jersey - especially after he gets laid out again and is lying on the ice with that blank "scrambled melon" stare of his........ :hurt: kidding, Eric.... go get 'em, Tiger. :rolleyes: :D

Oh, and regarding Wings goaltending - who's the #1 guy, if not Osgoode? Are they finally going to let Manny be man?

CaptainSolo1138
08-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Oh, and regarding Wings goaltending - who's the #1 guy, if not Osgoode? Are they finally going to let Manny be man?
I would think that would be the right thing to do, IMO. But what I think they'll do is alternate starts every few games until the All-Star break or so. Then they'll determine a #1 goalie for the playoff run.

Rogue II
08-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I heard rumors that the Sabres are listening to offers for one of their goalies. I doubt the would let Miller go, so I would assume it is probably Biron or Noronen. Anyway, has anyone heard who might be looking at them? I'm sure Buffalo wants another D in return.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-14-2005, 09:25 PM
The Sabres do have three solid goaltenders in their system with Miller, Noronen and Biron. Miller seems like a keeper, and in my opinion Biron has earned his starter status. Noronen is a decent goaltender who can be a starter on another team, and I am sure does not want to ride the pine for another year behind Biron. If the Sabres can get a star in return for Biron, I say trade him, but if there isn't a deal in the works, look for Noronen to go (that is my gut feeling on what will happen).

Rogue II
08-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Today on the buffalonews website, there were 2 articles about the Sabres inactivity in the free agent market. One of them had a more optimistic spin to it. They even had quotes from an agent. He said that a lot of teams that are going crazy in the market this year are going to miss out on next year's free agency. The big difference in next year's free agency is that all of those younger players effected by the age reduction of unrestricted free agency will be available, and since the market will be somewhat flooded, at a lower cost than this year.

The article also said to expect the Sabres to make some moves closer to the opening of camp this year with teams that are trying to cut salary because of the cap.

There was a funny quote on the fox sports website from Eric Lindros. He said that he has been practicing stickhandling with his head up. Stan Fischer made the comment after that saying "Tell that to Scott Stevens."

CaptainSolo1138
08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
DAAAAAMN! Dany Heatly to the Sens for Marion Hossa! The amount of high profile moves still happening blows my mind!

This season is gonna freakin' DOMINATE!

Captain Spoon
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Hell Ya!! This is going to be one of the best, most entertaining seasons in pro sports ever! period! The only bummer is I'm afraid to buy a jersey this year since people are going to be bouncing around so much :thumbsup:

Rogue II
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Just found this and thought it was funny.

There's much jocularity among the NHL's small-revenue markets over a Russian Super League team outbidding Mike Ilitch for Pavel Datsyuk's services. That's got to be a scream for them, seeing the deep-pocketed Wings suddenly helpless in a new system where all 30 teams work from equally revenue-challenged wallets.
-- Detroit Free Press

Also, Mark Messier hasn't decided if he will play or retire yet, but if he does play, the Oilers are interested in signing him.

Does the NHL have another out door game scheduled for this season? I heard that last one between Montreal/Edmonton game was great.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
We'll see if 'parity' will blossom among the NHL teams. I think it is a good idea for the sport, especially in one so fan-ticket revenue dependent as the NHL is. Now if only baseball would follow suit . . .

Rocketboy
09-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I've heard that Datsyuk does have an out clause in his new contract in case he signs with the Wings (or someone else).

Slicker
09-14-2005, 03:20 PM
A couple of recent player movements have both Mark Messier and Ron Francis retiring from the NHL. Both great players and Mark for sure is going into the Hall but I don't know Ron's numbers so I can't make that judgement.

Rogue II
09-14-2005, 03:32 PM
According to Foxsports.com,

Francis, 42, was a four-time all-star who played for Hartford, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Toronto. He ranks among the league's all-time leaders with 1,731 games (third), 549 goals (19th), 1,249 assists (second) and 1,798 points (fourth).

Scott Stevens and Al MacInnis also retired. Peter Bondra signed with Atlanta.

Whlie I was looking on the web, foxsports also had an article about who they though would be traded this season. Some teams are still close to the cap, so they will need to get rid of some players before the season starts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/4865060

Rocketboy
09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Scott Stevens and Al MacInnis also retired. I thought MacInnis retired years ago.

Darth Jax
09-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I thought MacInnis retired years ago.

nah, he'd just been playing blind out there. you didn't notice that he'd switched to a white cane, er stick?