PDA

View Full Version : August 2005: Monthly DVD Round-up!!

Hellboy
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Just one DVD for me this month.

August 16
Frank Miller's Sin City

Rocketboy
08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Just Sin City for me also.

These past few months there has been very little I've wanted.
The calm before the holiday storm...

2-1B
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Sin City for me as well, and also Simpsons Season 6 on the same day.

Of course I will be buying Curb Your Enthusiam season 4. Great show, love it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-03-2005, 12:16 AM
No Sin City for me, i'm waiting for the eventual Extended cut for whenever that is scheduled. I'll rent the regular copy though.

2-1B
08-03-2005, 12:46 AM
I plan on renting the SE of Tommy Boy to check out the new bonus features but I don't want to buy it.

Captain Spoon
08-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Sin City is also a must for me (the Bruce Willis and Jessica Alba cover) I will probobly pick up the SE also. I'm wierd like taht I will buy a movie twice. However the DVD I am most looking forward to this month (please do not laugh for it will hurt my feelings lol ) is The Muppet Show Season 1!!! I love me some muppets

vader121
08-03-2005, 07:53 AM
What about Alexander (DC) that came out yesterday, 8/2? I haven't seen it and have heard mixed reviews. Is it any good? Are the battle scenes long and cool?

2-1B
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
long and boring is more like it.

JimJamBonds
08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
What's the matter Caesar no conspiricy theory in this one? lol

Ji'dai
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Definitely Simpson's Season 6 - THOH V, Stonecutters, Bart's Comet, 2 Dozen & 1 Greyhounds, Lemon of Troy, Who Shot Mr. Burns, damn... too many good ones to list.

I saw a Ghostbusters box set (I & II) at Wal-Mart today for $12.87. I might pick that up since I sold my VHS copy. I could care less about GB 2 though.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-03-2005, 04:29 PM
I didn't realize Simpsons 6 is coming out in two weeks. A really good season, plus the THOH has the time-travelling toaster where Homer misses out on raining donuts.

I'll probably get this one, though I don't like the case. I think the 1-5 packaging is fine and wish they'd just keep it the same for S6.

2-1B
08-04-2005, 03:32 AM
What's the matter Caesar no conspiricy theory in this one? lol

Funny you brought it up because while the film ITSELF does not seem to contain that, there are theories going around as to the level of effort Ollie put into the film . . . something about him being salty that they wouldn't let him do it in 3 parts, so the film suffered in terms of quality since the director got snubbed and didn't give it his best effort.

That's just a rumor I heard, I can't say it's true. But then again, we ARE talking about conspiracy theories so that disclaimer should not be necessary ! lol lol lol

JimJamBonds
08-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Funny you brought it up because while the film ITSELF does not seem to contain that, there are theories going around as to the level of effort Ollie put into the film . . . something about him being salty that they wouldn't let him do it in 3 parts, so the film suffered in terms of quality since the director got snubbed and didn't give it his best effort.

That's just a rumor I heard, I can't say it's true. But then again, we ARE talking about conspiracy theories so that disclaimer should not be necessary ! lol lol lol

So the lack of a conspiracy is the conspiracy. lol I say the film suffered due to the director and actors. :D

JetsAndHeels
08-04-2005, 02:33 PM
What about Alexander (DC) that came out yesterday, 8/2? I haven't seen it and have heard mixed reviews. Is it any good? Are the battle scenes long and cool?

Alexander had to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I was actually pretty excited to see it, because I think the Alexander story is a great one that I have always liked, but Oliver Stone absolutely ruined it for me. Battle scenes were mediocre, dialogue was poor (Angelina Jolie sounded like she was trying to have some type of Transylvanian vampire accent), and the fact that even Anthony Hopkins couldn't save it all equal a total flop.

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with it. It's pretty painful.

General_Grievous
08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Just picking up Sin City and The Simpsons season 6 on the 16th. Then there's nothing that I really need to pick up until the Batman Begins DVD......on October 18th.

Val Da Car
08-07-2005, 10:10 PM
kung fu hustle!

hopefully both the English & Chinese versions...

jaxx
08-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Totally want to rent "Sin City" and "Kung Fu Hustle" this month. I haven't seen them yet, and I don't want to buy them until I see them.

"Alexander" was a total waste of time... except for about two minutes in chapter 20... Holy SH*T!!!! All I have to say is... ROSARIO DAWSON!!!!!!!!! I never knw she had all that. Sorry to offend anyone reading, but wow!

I'm looking forward to "Thudercats" Season 1. I'm just not sure when it hits the shelves. I saw an ad for it on the TV this week.
That's about it!

DarthQuack
08-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Picked up the Muppet Show Season 1 so far this month, not much else on my list.

Reefer Shark
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I'll be picking up:

Sin City
Gantz #7 (anime)
Dave Chappelle: For What It's Worth
Gladiator (extended edition)

That's about it for me.

Val Da Car
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Just Finished Kung Fu Hustle and I liked it quite a bit....The digital effects were an addition to the movie and it does not drag for a 1 hour 30+ minute movie.

I will have to rewatch it since my wife went nappy time during the movie...but it will be worth it.

btw My wife wants Sin City more than I do, infact she loved it in the theatre when we saw it......and she never read the books.

Hellboy
08-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I'll be picking up:

Gladiator (extended edition)

I haven't been keeping up on my DVD news of late so this is the first I've heard of an extended edition. What makes this new version "extended" if you don't mind my asking? Is this a new cut of the actual film or just another deluxe edition with a bunch of extras?

UKWildcat
08-12-2005, 07:02 PM
I will definitely be picking up The Simpsons Season 6. Eager to get my hands on this one to check out the new case design. Another dvd I will pick up is the complete first season of House, M.D. In my opinion this was by far one of the best shows on last season and I missed a few episodes. I am still thinking about getting Sin City and The Ring 2.:Ponder:

What slip cover you all going to try to pick up with you Sin City dvds?

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6614&n=1&k=sin+city&burl=r%3D0%26g%3Dinfo%26s%3D1%26k%3Dsin%2Bcity

I'd probably go for the Bruce Willis/Jessica Alba cover. The one with Clive Owen is cool too.

Reefer Shark
08-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I haven't been keeping up on my DVD news of late so this is the first I've heard of an extended edition. What makes this new version "extended" if you don't mind my asking? Is this a new cut of the actual film or just another deluxe edition with a bunch of extras?

Hey HB,
Yeah, I didn't know about it until a few days ago myself. Apparently it's got 17 minutes of additional footage. That's pretty much the only reason I'm buying it. I loved that movie!

Here's a link to the details at DVDplanet.com: Gladiator extended edition (http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listing.asp?productid=58153&format=DVD)

---

On those different Sin City slipcovers, I would probably go with the Dwight/Gail cover, or the Marv one if my 1st choice isn't around.

Hellboy
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Interesting, thanks for the info Reefer.

The running time does seem to indicate that these new scenes have been incorporated back into the actual film rather than just being added as supplemental material so thats a plus. I guess I'll have to do a bit of research as to what scenes have been added and if they warrant me double dipping on this title. Gladiator is one of my favorite movies as well so I'll probably end up getting it regardless.

2-1B
08-12-2005, 10:50 PM
As much as I loved Gladiator and enjoy it to this day, I feel the movie is long enough. :love:

Maybe I'll rent the new one to check out the added footage ? :hurt:

Rocketboy
08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
About Sin City - looks there will most definitely be a Special Edition in the future. This one only has 1 special feature - a behind the scene featurette.
I'd guess the SE would be out just before Sin City 2 (which it suppossed to start filming in January).
And it looks like Circuit City will have exclusive Lithograph set and Best Buy will have an exclusive comic - A Dame to Kill For, from the pics in Suday's ad.

JimJamBonds
08-23-2005, 01:02 PM
A week ago while in my local Wal Mart with Caesar I stumbled upon these gems, I don't recall seeing these by Cae's does... Rambo Vol 1 and Vol 2 which are from an animated series. Volume's 3 and 4 come out in September.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009A40FC/qid%3D1124820480/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-5449999-4241447