PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment in Target

tagmac
08-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't know what bothers me more about my trip to Target tonight - the fact that they yet again had nothing on the shelf, or having to witness a scalper in the act practically admitting what he is! :mad:

I walk over to the SW aisle, see nothing on the pegs, and this loser walks up to me saying "they never have star Wars figures here." Probably just trying to get me to leave, as I saw a minute later that an employee had gone in the back to look for something for him - thankfully I heard her say that they had nothing left. I pretty much ignored the guy, but as I walked away, I hear his wife/g/f walk over talking about getting a #500 Vader for $3, then I hear him ask her how many bids they had on it, and that it's "not worth getting." Glad I already got my Vader last week or I'd have been even more ticked off, but this just burned me up - hard enough to find stuff, and I get to witness an ebay scum in the process of trying to hoard more figs (unsuccessfully, thank goodness). :frus: :mad:

Turbowars
08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah it happens everyday in LA.

figrin bran
08-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Oh yeah it happens everyday in LA.

i wish that weren't true but it is...sometimes it's even the target employees themselves who are the ebay scum.

Blackened88
08-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Today I went to a Target in Seaside and I did find the Deluxe Clone Jet Backpack, they had three of them along with the Vulture Droid. I have never seen the Deluxe Clone before so I picked them up with some other stuff.

plasticfetish
08-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Last week I found an VOTC 12" Boba Fett for $1.86 at Target. I'm not in love with the fact that they're doing resets and there's no stock in the stores, and what little there might be gets picked over by scalpers... but I'm happy to say that the struggle can work both ways.

Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win.

I hear his wife/g/f walk over talking about getting a #500 Vader for $3, then I hear him ask her how many bids they had on it, and that it's "not worth getting."Are you sure they weren't talking about bidding on something, rather than selling? "Not worth getting" could mean a lot of things.

I know that there are quite a few scalpers out there, but I wonder just how often we see someone who's really just another collector, that we tag with the title "scalper."

tagmac
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
They were talking about a #500 Vader, and were holding the last one in their hands. I could be worng, but I suspect that's what they asked the employee to look for more of in the back, cuz I heard her say "we only have that one."

Kidhuman
08-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Heres disappopintment:

I went to Target this morning and guess what.

Huge arse sign on the door that said CLosed due to computer issues, anyone else hit this?

Captain Spoon
08-04-2005, 08:13 AM
I would have kicked the guy in the pills

Ryno
08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
I would like to offer the slightest bit of hope for those who search at Target. This is true of the four I have been to in the last couple days in the Chicagoland area, I'm sure it will eventually happen elsewhere; they are reorganizing their shelves - completely getting rid of their entire Star Wars aisles that have been there for the past 4 months. I haven't bought anything at Target in more than a month, but when I went there yesterday morning, the Star Wars aisle was moved over one and was cut in half - and there I found the entire Zett Jukasa wave, 500th Vader, Anakin Evolutions, Ultimate Lightsaber set, and Jedi vs. Sith battlepack.

jaxx
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I would like to offer the slightest bit of hope for those who search at Target. This is true of the four I have been to in the last couple days in the Chicagoland area, I'm sure it will eventually happen elsewhere; they are reorganizing their shelves - completely getting rid of their entire Star Wars aisles that have been there for the past 4 months. I haven't bought anything at Target in more than a month, but when I went there yesterday morning, the Star Wars aisle was moved over one and was cut in half - and there I found the entire Zett Jukasa wave, 500th Vader, Anakin Evolutions, Ultimate Lightsaber set, and Jedi vs. Sith battlepack.
Where in the Chicagoland area did you find this stuff? I've searched all over and can't find squat! There are 4 Targets that I get around to... one in Woodridge, Bolingbrook, one off of Kingery, and one in Chicago (while on lunch form work)... none of them have anything. In fact, the one in Bolingbrook last night had all of their pegs filled with figures. The problem. NOTHING BUT MAS AMEDAS AND POLIS MASSAN (maybe 4 white clone pilots)! No joke... Over 100 figures and only three to choose from. The other stores are like that too. They have price tags/signs for the 500 Vader, Evolutions, and Battlepacks, but there's never any of them on the shelf. I went into the Target in Chicago a week or two ago, and the guy was restocking the pegs. He had about 10 boxes of 3 3/4" figs, and NONE of them were above fig #44. No variations, no evolutions, no battlepacks, no Vader 500, not even any deluxe figs.
Target, though annoying at times with their "we're not allowed to help consumers" attitude, used to be the top place to find new figures in some form of abundance. Now they're just awful!
Actually, the area that I'm in is awful.

OC47150
08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I generally have good luck with Target. Found Capt. Antilles and the Utap warrior there last week. Say the 500th Vader and the new Jedi/Sith battle packs at one last night.

I find this to be true with Targets in general: the store will be one of the first to get a new item or one of its exclusives, and then you won't see it again for weeks. The Han/Fett/Yoda cups are a great example of that. Everything runs in spurts.

wedge1968
08-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I've been hitting Targets outside of Chicago (as well as Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys, Wal-Marts, Meyers) and haven't found ANYTHING. I haven't bought an action figure in over three months (early May). I go to at least three stores a day. I am still looking for the Tarkin wave, and I bought the wave before that from some guy in a bank parking lot.

This is beyond frustrating; it is downright angering me. I don't think that I've bought an action figure since the movie came out. Shouldn't this be the time that it is easy to find new stuff?

OC47150
08-04-2005, 12:34 PM
I've noticed some of the older, initial ROTS figures are showing up at Targets. I finally picked up #3 Yoda and Mace over the weekend.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Last week I found an VOTC 12" Boba Fett for $1.86 at Target.

Freakin' nice find loser ;) I'm on my way over to beat the crap outta you and steal your $1.98 12" VOTC FETT!!

J/K lol

That's actually one of the best deals/markdowns I've EVER heard of! I bet you were totally stoked to see that hanging out there!?

spang2005
08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I haven't been happy with Target since the exclusive clone fiasco. Selling them to anyone with a dcpi # was total bull. I managed to find two, but only on May 8th when they hit shelves. The only thing I've found at Target since then was the Battlepack. Other than their lower priced figures ($5.24 compared to Wal-Mart's $5.88), I have no love for Target. It's a shame that new stealth trooper is going to be another Target exclusive. Good luck finding that, especially if they handle it the same as they did the first exclusive clone.

Slicker
08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Target has really been a bust for me lately too. I usually find at least one or two new things when I make a trip there but lately they've had nothing much to write home about. I don't of any scalpers in my area I think it's more a lack of stocking.

THE CHOSENONE
08-04-2005, 04:00 PM
In my area Target just isn't getting the basic figure waves. I talked to a couple of employee's yesterday and that is what they told me. They keep getting 500 Vader, Anakin Evo, Sith vs. Jedi pack, and even the Unleashed wave. The 500 Vader that was so hard to find is actually getting abundant same with Anakin Evo. The Sith vs. Jedi pack seems to sell out although i'm not sure why. In my opinion that set blows. I'm going to take Target out of my travel rotation for awhile.

Blue2th
08-04-2005, 07:59 PM
I've been hitting Targets outside of Chicago (as well as Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys, Wal-Marts, Meyers) and haven't found ANYTHING. I haven't bought an action figure in over three months (early May). I go to at least three stores a day. I am still looking for the Tarkin wave, and I bought the wave before that from some guy in a bank parking lot.

This is beyond frustrating; it is downright angering me. I don't think that I've bought an action figure since the movie came out. Shouldn't this be the time that it is easy to find new stuff?
Of course not! You probably are like me and have a real job. I drive past Target every day on my way to work which I have to be at 8:00. Well the Target also opens at 8:00 with at least 3 or 4 guys waiting at the door everyday. I can't stop and be late for work. So I go at lunch and by then the pegs are cleaned of newer figures. Though I occasionaly find damaged cards. Good thing I'm a loose collector also. I have tried doing the midnight Wal-mart thing (when they stock) with limited success. I live in Albuquerque and this place is booming and busting at the seams. So it's slim pickings for anyone but the determined Bounty Hunter. Sometimes you just gotta order them by the case at EE. Especially the last few hard to find figures. :crazed:

plasticfetish
08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Freakin' nice find loserNo kidding!

It had been marked down from $7 (or whatever the last clearance price was) and then hidden behind a pile of those swimming fish things that you throw in your pool. I almost think one of the employees marked it down, then they hid it for a friend. I was walking through the clearance section, spotted a corner of the box and thought, "Hey! What's that?"

Anyway... I gave it to my kid. :)

------

Check those clearance sections. They're moving shelves and sections around, getting ready for back-to-school, (which is why there's been no new merchandise.)

bobafrett
08-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Has anyone here had there Targets completely relocate the tot department? Two stores in my area have moved the toy section from the back of the store to the left as you walk in. I know that there are a few Targets that have odd layouts, I'm talking about the standard Target stores with the Pharmacy at the right end as you walk in, and the electronics section to the left. One thing I do like is I don't have to walk as far to hit the toy section now. As far as the Star Wars section goes, I have only seen small reductions is space, but only older merchandise, nothing new to note.

plasticfetish
08-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah... that's what I meant by "shelves and sections." At one of the stores near me they moved it from the back of the store to the right (as you come in) nearer to the electronics and school supplies section.

Ryno
08-05-2005, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=jaxx]Where in the Chicagoland area did you find this stuff? I've searched all over and can't find squat! There are 4 Targets that I get around to... one in Woodridge, Bolingbrook, one off of Kingery, and one in Chicago (while on lunch form work)... none of them have anything. In fact, the one in Bolingbrook last night had all of their pegs filled with figures.

I work for Harlem Irving Plaza, which is a mall in Norridge/Chicago, that's where I got all my stuff. But, I also saw all the same things at 3 Super Targets in Warrenville, Naperville and Wheaton (not sure about it being Wheaton it's on Roosevelt Rd.).

jaxx
08-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I work for Harlem Irving Plaza, which is a mall in Norridge/Chicago, that's where I got all my stuff. But, I also saw all the same things at 3 Super Targets in Warrenville, Naperville and Wheaton (not sure about it being Wheaton it's on Roosevelt Rd.).

I guess I'll have to kake the trip to Naperville and check it out this weekend. Unfortunately, it's about a 20 minute trip. (I assume that you're talking about the one by Fox Valley Mall???)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-05-2005, 10:14 AM
The Target I went to yesterday was actually the most fruitful in terms of figures. I found several Crispy Anakins, Bacaras, R2-D2s as well as an abundance of Clone Troopers and Wookie Warriors. They had Wave 2 of the Micro Collections in stock as well as the Transforming Rebel Blockade Runner and a Deluxe Staiss and Vulture Droid.

ak51
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Target was good to me yesterday. Found a Boba cup set during lunch and picked up Anakin Evolutions and Sidious vs. Yoda Unleashed in the evening. :D

Ryno
08-05-2005, 02:08 PM
I guess I'll have to kake the trip to Naperville and check it out this weekend. Unfortunately, it's about a 20 minute trip. (I assume that you're talking about the one by Fox Valley Mall???)

Yep and if you 59 North to Diehl about 1.5 miles and then go East on Diehl for another 1.5 miles you will reach another Super Target.

jaxx
08-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Yep and if you 59 North to Diehl about 1.5 miles and then go East on Diehl for another 1.5 miles you will reach another Super Target.
Sweet. Thanks. I'll check them out. So... you've had luck at those stores lately?

Ryno
08-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Sweet. Thanks. I'll check them out. So... you've had luck at those stores lately?

Yeah. I actually got my 500 Vader at the Toys R Us that is next to Fox Valley Mall. Good luck!

jaxx
08-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah. I actually got my 500 Vader at the Toys R Us that is next to Fox Valley Mall. Good luck!
Thanks! I'll add TRU to my list.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Target has been so so for me, but they did have some new stuff at the reset last week except for new basic figures. I find OC's assessment of finding crap at Target pretty close to my own, though one WM lately has been just a few days behind the nearby Target for stocking new stuff.

Weird thing about Target is that they have those odd clearance items show up out of the blue, like pf's 12" Boba. I found a lone 2005 OTC stormie at one a few months ago for <$2. They hadn't stocked OTC stuff for ages.

plasticfetish
08-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Last year, after they'd moved things around, I found a Porkins hanging on the pegs. :confused:

xavier311_max
08-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Okay I had just about given up on ever seeing AT-TE, Darth on Operating room, etc.etc... But as of last week when I started my month long vacation I have been taking my son out for walks and such to the local malls and over the coarse of the last 8 days I have found 4 AT-TE (Which I bought) 5 Darth on Operating table (only wanted one) like 8 AT-RT's (only bought 2) a few pilot Obi-wans, like 6 army builder sets (only bought 2) more Bacara's then I can remember, also a few of the new Commanders and picked up 6 SA Troopers and so on and so on.... Just so you know this is not to brag this is to prove a theory that most of us have had since forever.... IF YOU HAVE A REGULAR JOB YOU AINT EVER GOING TO SEE JACK S#$T ON THE PEGS. In short I am now lucky enough to be all caught up with my ROS wish list shy of the repaint Red Troopers. In all my years of collecting I have never had a run like this one (and when I go back to work I am sure it will end) nor do I for one second think it will continue but goes to show you when you least expect it you can strike gold and give scalpers the finger like me.

Kidhuman
08-08-2005, 10:21 PM
On my roadtrip, hit 6 different Targets and all of them had their own army of either CLone Pilots or Neo Warriors. Pathetic.

ROTJLuke
08-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I ususaly dont find s**t where ever I go, Target is no exception. My Target used to be my Meccha of new figures. POTF2 era, I was their, every day, around 2:30-3:00 and I would score figures like Tarkin, Rem. Helmet Vader, Commtech Leia w/ holo R2, Bespin Luke, Lando General, Leia Ewok dress, etc. I even had 4 or 5 employees who knew when I walked in what I was looking for, and they would bring cases to me. I was only 12 or 13 at the time. I get out of the game for nearly 4 or 5 years, occasionally comming back to see if my DSII Luke had been made, and I came back officially when the Saga line began to pick up with the OT characters, like Bespin Duel Luke and Vader. Thats the figure that brought me back, was the Saga Bespin Duel Luke Skywalker. ANYWAYS....The last time I found something new at Target was about 2-3 weeks ago, I found 4 Evolutions Anakin and 2 Jedi vs. Sith Battlepacks. Picked up Ani, figuring I could bring my little brother back to get him one, and nothing. But, that kid doesnt need me, I swear he has a natural gift for SW figure collecting. He walks into a TRU at about 6:30-7:00 pm, (I wasnt w/ him, mind you) and he walks out with # 50 Anakin and # 55 Obi Wan Pilot. WTF!!! Hes only 9! He walked into a Wal-Mart at about 8:00pm when I was in Cali, and called me to tell me he got the Evolutions Ani and Battle pack, and the little s**t thought of me and hid one for me. Hes gonna be running this s**t by the time hes my age, if he still collects. But it just goes to show ya what one can accomplish in innocents, not up to date on whats happening in the SW figures world. I think thats the biggest F**k you to scalpers when the kids get the figures when they want them, instead of checking every morning. :)

Qui-Long Gone
08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Let me tell you how crappy Target is....I lived in SW Ohio for four years and never found @$@# at any of the 3 Targets within 30 minutes from our appartment. My in-laws are in Detroit and on visits I never found @$@# at the Targets in the greater Detroit suburbia/metro. My family is originally from Indiana, and this summer I didn't find @$@# in Star Wars. And I spent the last four summers in upstate NY and never found @$@# in Star Wars either. Now I'm in Western Texas and our Target is a waste of gas money.

Stick with Walmart, on-line, and good fortune....Target is a bust.....

ROTJLuke
08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
My target has always been hit and miss

Lazer Brain
08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
i guess i'm lucky , my target is just outside my subdivision so if i leave 5 min early for work on friday i can catch them right when they open the doors and score everything before the scapers get there.so i am up to date except for the black pilot, and can't wait for the evolution clones to come out.
later

Qui-Long Gone
08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Let me recant one point about Target....I do remember them carrying a bunch of Clone War and Clone War Animated figs back in the day...but I didn't collect them, so it made no difference to me.

Well at least Target gets those "exculsive" lava reflecting figures....any news if there will be lava reflecting Emperor and Clone troopers (Anakin rescue pack)... ;)

Slicker
08-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Let me recant one point about Target....I do remember them carrying a bunch of Clone War and Clone War Animated figs back in the day...but I didn't collect them, so it made no difference to me.
But, if I'm not mistaken I think the early Clone Wars figs were Target exclusives so I think it may have been tough to find them elsewhere.

Kidhuman
08-10-2005, 10:22 PM
You are correct SLick. 1st 2 waves of animated CW were exclusives.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Right now Target is just in a basic figure funk. It seems to me that they go in cycles. WM may not carry jack squat but Target will be the place to buy everything. Then it'll switch back the other way. Only lately it seems that Target has been in an unusually long slump.