PDA

View Full Version : Awesome droid packs from EE offered! What do you think?

TheDarthVader
08-06-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I am definitely getting both of these packs. The droids look awesome! Check out the pictures from the news page. What do you think about the sculpts? My favorite droid is the gray one. I can't wait to add these to my collection.

B.
TDV

Turbowars
08-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm happy you asked. These sets are killer man. I have to give EE credit for this! I have been wanting most of these droids forever. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the fact that not all the droids used the Pre-view astro mold. Other than that it's all good. I'm splitting a full case of these so the price will be $6 per figure instead of $8. Here's the pics of them.

My favorites are
R4-A22
R2-Q2
R4-E1
R2-X2
R2-C4

PloKoon2385
08-06-2005, 12:31 PM
They are amazing! I also love the gray one. The only downside is the price... seems a little steep. But I guess for an exclusive, it's not too bad... :ermm:

Turbowars
08-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm telling you guys need to split a case up. I know everyone around here knows at least 4 other Star Wars collectors that would want these 2 sets. There's 5 sets of each 2 pack in a case and that's 5.99 before tax and if you live in LA CA you can pick them up and forget about shipping.

DarthQuack
08-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I will more than likely pick up this set, possibly with the Holiday Jawas since I passed on them last year.

DarkArtist
08-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I love droids. Plus they make great background characters and can be used in the Saga X-Wings or even in ARC fighters. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2005, 03:09 PM
These all look fantastic, but the price is way too high. I might have to do what Turbo says, when I get some more money.

spang2005
08-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I'd love to get these, but it's a little too pricy for my wallet. I;ll have to ask for these for Christmas.

Bosskman
08-06-2005, 04:13 PM
These are freakin' sweet! Does anybody know what scenes they are all from. I know of a few that are for sure from TPM and ANH but the rest I don't. My figure list goes by movie .

Joshkj
08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
I would love to split one of these cases with someone from LA or SD area, since im in the middle.

Bacta Beast
08-06-2005, 06:13 PM
I'd love these sets, but they are WAY to expensive! EE :greedy: is just way to greedy. You shouldn't have to split cases to get a good deal. :frus:

mastermatt24
08-06-2005, 06:35 PM
You shouldnt have to buy an entire frikin case and split it.. thats B$. If they end up selling them as indvidual sets or even as loose figures, then I might buy them.

pegger
08-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I love the set...I'm getting them for sure...

Kudos for EE for pushing for this....

my only (small) complaint is that there are no R5s and none of the R3s look like they have clear domes.

but that's ok....

Turbowars
08-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I know guys we shouldn't have to buy a full case and split it, but it's the only way around it. The Clones worked out great for 3 of us local collectors. The way I look at it is, I feel lucky that these 2 sets are really coming out, and on top of that it's 2 awesome sets that I really want. I can't say that for anything else Hasbro makes but the Clone evolution set. I know these are just repaints, but I don't think we would ever get these on a basic card, even with the contract to 2018.

So quite your B-tchn .......Kenny.;)

my only (small) complaint is that there are no R5s and none of the R3s look like they have clear domes. The story goes that Hasbro doesn't have a decent R5 head and Adam from GH (the guy that put the set together) didn't want them to use the R5 from the POTF2 days, so no R5's were used. Maybe a awesome R5 is coming this year, hell I have no idea about that.

The R3's that are in the set do have clear domes, don't worry about that.

decadentdave
08-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Fact is these sets are WAY overpriced! These are all repaints from the same old molds and as such I should be paying $19.99 same price as the Toys R' Us multi-packs for these. EE is charging $40 for 5! Get the bleep outta here! I know some you guys have the luxury of splurging on a whole case but most of us don't. I'm sick and tired of all of these so-called "exclusives" that are nothing more than repaints i.e. Internet "Exclusive" Wedge Antilles that are marked up to some ridiculous price nearly 2-3 times the cost of a normal figure. In the post-Star Wars movie era I am going to be even more selective about what I collect and price picky than ever before when it comes to cost/value ratio from here on out. Now if the exclusives were NEW sculpts then I would consider it or if it had included the all new sculpt of R5-D4 not to be sold anywhere else then yeah, I wouldn't mind the markup so much. I know all of you "Army Builders" out there are jizzin over these but think about how much your wallet is being taken for. No $ale.

Bacta Beast
08-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I know guys we shouldn't have to buy a full case and split it, but it's the only way around it. The Clones worked out great for 3 of us local collectors. The way I look at it is, I feel lucky that these 2 sets are really coming out, and on top of that it's 2 awesome sets that I really want. I can't say that for anything else Hasbro makes but the Clone evolution set. I know these are just repaints, but I don't think we would ever get these on a basic card, even with the contract to 2018.

So quite your B-tchn .......Kenny.;)

I'm just frustrated (as usual) with the state of the market. I can't find any of the clone repaints (even though I check the stores in my area religously). I can't find the blue Obi-Wan's starfighter. And quite frankly, I can't usually afford to order things online. It's much easier for me if I can just walk into a store and purchase a piece than to try to get "permission" to use the credit card. And It just gets frustrating when you want to collect the entire line but some pieces are so out of reach (either because they're hard to find, only available online, too expensive, or all of the above). Anyway the title of the forum says "what do you think?" not "what do you think, but don't say anything if it's not positive". I love the sets, I want them bad! Heck I still want the clones!! :( I just wish they were either available in a local store, or priced down. If either of those were the case I would have them all already! And some retailer would be making more money as they would have more of mine.

The story goes that Hasbro doesn't have a decent R5 head and Adam from GH (the guy that put the set together) didn't want them to use the R5 from the POTF2 days, so no R5's were used. Maybe a awesome R5 is coming this year, hell I have no idea about that.

What was wrong with the Star Tours one? They could have used that one with minor changes. :(

Bacta Beast
08-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Fact is these sets are WAY overpriced! These are all repaints from the same old molds and as such I should be paying $19.99 same price as the Toys R' Us multi-packs for these. EE is charging $40 for 5! Get the bleep outta here! I know some you guys have the luxury of splurging on a whole case but most of us don't. I'm sick and tired of all of these so-called "exclusives" that are nothing more than repaints i.e. Internet "Exclusive" Wedge Antilles that are marked up to some ridiculous price nearly 2-3 times the cost of a normal figure. In the post-Star Wars movie era I am going to be even more selective about what I collect and price picky than ever before when it comes to cost/value ratio from here on out. Now if the exclusives were NEW sculpts then I would consider it or if it had included the all new sculpt of R5-D4 not to be sold anywhere else then yeah, I wouldn't mind the markup so much. I know all of you "Army Builders" out there are jizzin over these but think about how much your wallet is being taken for. No $ale.

Y'know, if I saw these sets at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sam's, TRU, Target, Meijer, A comic retailer, anywhere.... I would gladly lay down $25 a set. But when you have to go thru all the hassle of ordering online, and then they want to charge us $36.99!!!!! :eek:
It just seems like they're taking advantage of us.

mastermatt24
08-07-2005, 12:06 AM
It just seems like they're taking advantage of us.
Thats because they are taking advantage of us. :greedy: :Pirate:

curss
08-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I think these guys look awesome...I'd love to split the cost of a case if there is anyone interested in Toronto, Canada.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2005, 02:02 AM
I just pre-ordered a set. With shipping that worked out to $8.44 per figure. A bit pricey. More than a basic figure, but less than a deluxe figure. Plus they are cool looking droids even if they are just repaints. I don't have the time or the talent to customize my own R2 units. I just hope they use a mold with a retractable middle leg.

Turbowars
08-07-2005, 10:14 AM
What was wrong with the Star Tours one? They could have used that one with minor changes. :(Yeah, I forgot to mention the Star Tour R5. You guys all know that Hasbro is lazy as hell right, so they still did not want to use it because they would have to modify it. I'm not trying to make EE or Hasbro look like saints, just look at my signature below. EE does have higher prices, but there are worse.

I know where some of you are coming from, if you can't walk in to a TRU or Target at opening all the time (I can't, I have to be at work at 5 am) then you most likely will not find items like the Blue Obi Star Fighter. Just last week I ran into 2 cases up on the top shelf at my Local TRU of the Blue ship. You have to look around sometimes. Just because there isn't any on the lower shelves doesn't mean there isn't any out of sight. Another thing is you must get a collecting community together. I don't know if you have seen the LA just found thread, but everyday someone is finding something for someone there. So it's a bit of work sometimes and this stuff isn't just going to find you, you have to hunt.

Exclusives are a evil we will have to deal with. They have been apart of this hobby since I have been collecting (95) and most of the time if they weren't exclusives Hasbro would not even produce them in the 1st place.

Fluke Skywalker
08-07-2005, 10:18 AM
A droid army builder is long over due, and this is a great looking set. EE should be commended on the work they've done for army builders of late. On the flip side the price, for essentially a bunch of R2 repaints, is a bit more than I want to pay right now. If it had a red R5, it would've been a no brainer. Love that darn droid.

Slicker
08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
At first before they had pictures I was thinking whatever on this set but when I first saw pics of it a little bit ago then the ones that Turbo posted I'm completely converted on it. I want to buy it but don't have anyone around me to in on it. *wink* *wink*

Anyone wanna go in on a case? I can go in next week at the earliest.

gsr-jedi
08-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Big Bad Toy Store has these up in their pre-order menu, all of the different options are about $5 cheaper, plus the $7 flat shipping helps, out here in AZ, I'm trying to get 10 of us who want this set, to buy 2 cases from 'em.

Turbowars
08-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Cool, another option for some of you. It's .10 cheaper per figure if you buy the case from BBTS. Still EE is the better option for us LA guys. I didn't think these sets where going to be sold to other stores, but I guess they are a on-line store exclusive. Can't wait to see how much Brian's Toys charges for them.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I love droids, don't get me wrong--and I have opened all astromech droids that I have bought but this is way too pricy! The bounty hunter pack that I ordered from starwarsshop.com averaged to about $6 a figure and this one is $2 more, plus there are 2 sets to order if you want all of them. Still I love the droids, and if I find a lull as far as collecting before the holidays and if I have money to burn I might consider ordering them.

kool-aid killer
08-07-2005, 03:44 PM
At first before they had pictures I was thinking whatever on this set but when I first saw pics of it a little bit ago then the ones that Turbo posted I'm completely converted on it. I want to buy it but don't have anyone around me to in on it. *wink* *wink*

Anyone wanna go in on a case? I can go in next week at the earliest.

Are you talking about the case of 50 astro droids? If so i would be game to go into it with you, only problem is getting three other people to join in. If so, then the individual cost (not including the shipping money we would have to send the way of the person who is sent the set from BBTS) would only be $59, shipping wouldnt be more than $10 so in the end it would still be slightly cheaper than buying the ten yourself.

ROTJLuke
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
I think EE did a great job on these droids, but Im just not intrested...

jedi master sal
08-08-2005, 09:40 AM
I definitely want these sets.

Anyone in the Greater Pittsburgh metro area/Southwestern PA area want to go in on these?

AmanaMatt
08-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Some of these repaints are cool, but overpriced nonetheless, and I hate EE.....are these EE exclusives or EE "exclusives." If they had bothered to offer an awsome R5-D4, I would have ordered in a heartbeat. Thanks for being lazy, Hasbro!

If I can score this for less later, then I'll wait.

BoShek
08-09-2005, 05:37 PM
R4-E1! I am very happy!!!

TheDarthVader
08-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for telling me about Big Bad Toystore having these. I just canceled my preorder with EE and ordered these at BBTS. Any money I can save is alright in my book. I love these little droids! (OR IS IT DRIODS?) ;) remember? the mistake hasbro made on the aotc battle set. battle DRIOD :)

B.
TDV

mtriv73
08-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I definitely want these sets.

Anyone in the Greater Pittsburgh metro area/Southwestern PA area want to go in on these?

I've got two people so far in Maryland. We'd still have to mail them to you (unless you're coming to the D.C. area around christmas.) I want 2 sets of each for myself so I'd just need one more in the area if you're interested.

I love these sets. I hope EE gives us a new exclusive builder pack every year. If paying $6-$8 a figure for a bunch of things I couldn't get otherwise is the only way to get them, then I still think it's a great deal. I've probably wasted more than $3 in gas each looking for 51-56, and these will be delivered straight to my front door.

jedi master sal
08-12-2005, 08:51 AM
I've got two people so far in Maryland. We'd still have to mail them to you (unless you're coming to the D.C. area around christmas.) I want 2 sets of each for myself so I'd just need one more in the area if you're interested.

I love these sets. I hope EE gives us a new exclusive builder pack every year. If paying $6-$8 a figure for a bunch of things I couldn't get otherwise is the only way to get them, then I still think it's a great deal. I've probably wasted more than $3 in gas each looking for 51-56, and these will be delivered straight to my front door.

Thanks for the offer, but I'd end up paying the same or more if you'd have to ship them here. I don't have any plans to be in the D.C. area anytime soon. Have you tried hooking up with the DCSWCC? That's the collecting club there. I'm SURE there's fellas there that would go in on a case. Check them our here:
http://www.dcswcc.com/

I'm am member of the Pennsylvania one as well as the Pittsburgh one and am just looking to go in with other guys locally. I was just looking for any other SSGers who might be from my immediate vicinity to go in on a case. (Hope you understand)

-Sal

dindae
08-12-2005, 09:37 AM
As long as EE keeps coming up with exclusives like these I will buy them. Sure they just repaints but how long would it take them to release all of these on card. I think they should do a ewok pack eventually just repaints of different sculpts they have (although I would like to see more sculpts).

TheDarthVader
08-12-2005, 10:25 AM
An ewok pack would be a great idea! They could make a better Paploo, Romba, and Warok. I would definitely buy a pack of ewoks.

B.
TDV

Mandalorian Candidat
08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
An ewok pack would be a great idea! They could make a better Paploo, Romba, and Warok. I would definitely buy a pack of ewoks.

B.
TDV

Haha, very funny. Oh, were you serious about that? ;)

We have a good collectors club/union/guild (?) here in Northern Utah and had enough people to go in on two cases. One guy's buying them through EE, the other through BBTS. Someone has claimed that EE will ensure that they will arrive mint while BBTS is a crap shoot. I didn't think these would be on card so what does it matter then? If you get five people to go in on each case then the per figure cost should be $6.20 (which includes shipping, but I don't know what they do about sales tax). If you look at WM's cost of $5.88 plus tax, then this is a cranking deal, especially so from an online retailer. If Brian's Toys did this then each figure would be like $10. The only caveat is that you need five people to pony up to get the good price.'

It seems to me that there are enough people on SSG who would be willing to shell out for a set. If you can't find enough locals to split up a case, then why not find four other SSGers to commit to a set then split up the case when it arrives. You'd have to pay extra for secondary shipping, but it still may be a good deal.

TheDarthVader
08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately, I was serious about the ewok pack. Yes, I would buy it. ;)

B.
TDV

PS Don't tell anyone.

:)

vadersvette
08-15-2005, 11:51 PM
YAY!!! I'm finally getting my R2-Q2! I've always wanted them to make him :pleased: :thumbsup:

kool-aid killer
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I just put a preorder in at BigBadToystore for both sets. I cant wait to get them, im just hoping they come in a cool box like the clones from earlier this year did.

decadentdave
08-25-2005, 11:41 PM
The question is: Are you going to open them if they do, or do you buy a set to open and a set to keep in the cool box?

kool-aid killer
08-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Im keeping them in the box, whether they come in a nice displayable box or a plain white box. Eventually i plan on freeing them and throwing them in dioramas. I just cant wait to get these bots, they all look so cool.

decadentdave
08-26-2005, 12:01 AM
If you are going to open them why wait? I always buy one to open one to keep in the box but seeing as how a complete set of these are $70 I can't afford to do that.

kool-aid killer
08-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Ive got most of my collection carded, im just waiting for the day that i have enough shelves and whatnot to hold all my figures. Plus i would like to do it in a house that i own, as opposed to in my mothers basement. So until then, they stay in their cardboard prisons.

Veers
08-28-2005, 09:57 PM
I am gonna get this set as well.

abell748
09-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I had too pass on the Clone Trooper sets when they came out, but thanks to all the rehash crap Hasblah is putting out I can swing getting these. This a great idea by Hasblah (I know that sounds strange). I wonder if they will do some EPIII clones in this manner, I'd sell blood or something to get those!:hurt:

kool-aid killer
09-17-2005, 12:33 AM
You could slang your plasma too! I think EE has hit on a potential goldmine, assuming the sets they offer are exciting to collectors, since i doubt many kids are going to be forking over the dough needed to get these exclusives. I do think we will see episode three clones come out this way, it just wouldnt make sense not to.

jedi master sal
09-17-2005, 01:17 AM
You could slang your plasma too! I think EE has hit on a potential goldmine, assuming the sets they offer are exciting to collectors, since i doubt many kids are going to be forking over the dough needed to get these exclusives. I do think we will see episode three clones come out this way, it just wouldnt make sense not to.
Well this topic has been brough up before, but I love talking about clones and the possiblities of seeing movie accurate clones as figs and in multipacks.

So here's what I'd suggest for 4-packs:

Utapau clones: 3 Grunts and one Lt. Fox (though the SW insider is now calling him Sgt. Fox) He's the clone swith the bubble ridged helmet
Kashyyyk camo Scout Clones (or BARC Clones if you prefer): 4 of them (since Gree's already being done...unless they want to actually make a correctly painted Gree!!!)
Bacara's Mygeeto Clones (also dubbed Snow-Clones): 4 of them!
Neyo's Speeder Bike Clones: 1 Cmdr Neyo, other three his grunts! (Correctly painted and helmeted this time-not the Target exclusive ones)

Then maybe these sets later on (since they are being done in one form or another already)
Coruscant Senate Security Clones (Shocktroopers): set of 4
Spec Ops Clones: The Blue ones that raid the Jedi Temple-4 of them
Star Corps Clones: These are Commander Bly's clones (they look like yellow clone commanders-like the one in the Evolutions set) 4 of them

-Sal

dindae
09-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Well so far we have only gotten repaints so I wouldn't hold my breath for that set. Hopefully we will see those carded then they can offer it as a set. :yes:

TheDarthVader
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
To answer an earlier question, I like these packs so much that I am getting one set to keep in box and one set to open. I am a sucker for aliens and droids!

B.
TDV

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Even though my last name isn't Rockefeller, I bought mine today. Normally I wouldn't have, but I have bought Star Wars so sparingly over the past month that I felt that I can more than afford to get them. Entertainment Earth also offers a couple of como packages, such as the Droid sets coupled with the Holiday Jawas from last year for an additional few dollars. I missed out on the Jawas last year so I bought that pack.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-27-2005, 04:44 PM
I received an update on my order today and according to Entertainment Earth, the earliest that these figures will ship is January of 2006. Yikes :eek: that is a long date away!

Reverend Strone
10-12-2005, 07:15 PM
These droid packs are awesome. I couldn't place my order fast enough. My only regret is all the money and time I put into converting R2s back in the old POTF days to customize my own versions of a chunk of these same units. Ah well- my new policy on customising is one of- "only if there's no way in hell they'll ever make it- ie, EU characters."

kool-aid killer
10-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Doh!!! I preordered the two sets from Bigbadtoystore.com and just got an email saying my order had been cancelled due to them getting a new system. Now i have to put in another preorder for them. Im a little upset, but in the end its no real big deal.

TheDarthVader
10-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I will concur with the email. What I mean is I received the same email and had to replace my preorder. These packs are defintely a pleasant surprise.

B.
TDV

Bacta Beast
10-29-2005, 02:43 AM
I know where some of you are coming from, if you can't walk in to a TRU or Target at opening all the time (I can't, I have to be at work at 5 am) then you most likely will not find items like the Blue Obi Star Fighter. Just last week I ran into 2 cases up on the top shelf at my Local TRU of the Blue ship. You have to look around sometimes. Just because there isn't any on the lower shelves doesn't mean there isn't any out of sight. Another thing is you must get a collecting community together. I don't know if you have seen the LA just found thread, but everyday someone is finding something for someone there. So it's a bit of work sometimes and this stuff isn't just going to find you, you have to hunt.

Yes, I know, I do look around. And ask employees for help, all to no avail. Why would you think I'm only looking on lower shelves? I'm not a midget!
Also, I am part of a collectors community. So check that box also. It's just that the plain truth is, the west coast gets more stuff, and gets in sooner than the inland states. Sometimes it takes weeks for us to see something that the folks on CA are already tired of seeing! And after the Death Star Trooper and Ree Yees, and R2 w/ holo Leia, you start to freak out when you can't find something. But yes, I know, you have to hunt. I already said i do that! I'm just get frustrated with the time it takes for things to show up here.:cry:

DarkArtist
11-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I placed an order for these last night along with the Wedge Figure and the variation clone evolution set. Can't wait to get the wedge and the clones since they are in stock, will have to wait till january for the droids though.