PDA

View Full Version : To Cloak or Not to Cloak

Qui-Long Gone
08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Here's a question (or tw..three): do you like your Jedi cloaked or robe-free? Also, which is better, soft cloak or plastic? And finally, what about those characters that should have robes, i.e. Mace Windu, and Anakin's half-robe (hey where did my sleeves go...slashing attack:mad: )?

Personally, for my two cents, I thought Obi-Wan's Red Leader Pilot and Agen Kolar were done really well....I've mixed feelings on Darth Vader's soft goods. and both Anakin's slash attack (improved with sith eyes) and mustafar were HORRIBLE....poor Yoda got back-to-back bad wear, and Dooku's robe is fair at best.

Where's Fisto and Tiin's robes? And why is Palpatine's blacks different than his "movie" garb when fighting his "little green friend?"

spang2005
08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
MY preference is to actually have two versions of the figure, one with sculpted robe and one without, like the episode 1 Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. When I set up a palpatine's arrest scene, I used Agen Kolar's cloak on Kit Fisto, Saga pilot Obi-Wan's soft goods cloak on Agen Kolar, the POTJ Saesee Tiin (sculpted cloak), and episode 1 sneak preview Mace Windu (Sculpted Cloak). They all looked pretty good. My least favorte cloaks are the ones that came with the regular episode 1 mace and Pilot Obi-Wan. Sure they can wear them, but they can;t use their arms in them.

decadentdave
08-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Definitely "Soft Goods." The Episode III Anakin from the Evolutions set is by far the best sculpt and most natural looking with the cloth robe. If only the Obi-Wan pilot had a soft goods cloak it would be a perfect figure but the sculpted baggy cloak leaves much to be desired. Sure, it looks great if he is frozen in a pose from a shot from the film but cloth looks more natural and is more poseable. The only drawback to soft goods cloaks is the hoods don't drape well.

Umbra
08-08-2005, 12:56 AM
I like my jedi well done...err cloaked

As for material, i prefer plastic molded. I've never been a fan of soft goods, though ROTS Dooku and Shaak Ti are changing my mind. IF done like those too i could definitly be a fan, but sofar all the soft good cloaks i've seen are too bulky

Captain Spoon
08-08-2005, 08:01 AM
I think every Jedi should have a removeable robe, I prefer soft goods however I will admit taht some of the softs Hasbro has done have been cheap. I think they should use a felt type material for the cloaks not this pantyhose nylon crap like on the ROTS vader.

Jek Porky 2002
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I just don't think fabric looks right with the plastic, there is too much of a contrast.

Plastic cloaks all the way!!

Jayspawn
08-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I prefer cloaked. But I think ALL Jedi figures should have either a plastic or soft goods robe with them so we can have the option.

ROTJLuke
08-08-2005, 11:01 AM
I like soft goods. Perfect example: Evolutions Anakin ROTS, that figure is unbelievable. I hope we get that one individually carded as well. :)

kool-aid killer
08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
plastic cloaks look nicer on the figure but soft goods cloaks can be used on other Jedi figures much easier. Personally, i like soft goods more simply because they can be applied to almost every Jedi figure whereas some plastic cloaks are only good for the Jedi figure that is wearing it.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-08-2005, 04:43 PM
plastic cloaks look nicer on the figure but soft goods cloaks can be used on other Jedi figures much easier. Personally, i like soft goods more simply because they can be applied to almost every Jedi figure whereas some plastic cloaks are only good for the Jedi figure that is wearing it.

I'm in total agreement. I like the soft goods stuff due to the ease in posing, yet in an action stance the plastic cloaks have a better look. I'd rather have a return to the EP1 cloak style (Mace, Adi, padawan Ani), but the OB1 pilot cloak is acceptable to me.

Qui-Long Gone
08-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I know this is too much dreaming....but what if each Jedi came with soft and option plastic? This would replace wasted costs spent on "Action Features" like spinning kung-fu saber Yoda, twirling feet of fury Obi-Wan, and Frankenstein hacking Anakin....

I agree soft goods are the most flexible, but I think compared to the plastics they look too bulky and out-of-place. Although I'd take a soft good before no robe....at least Shaft Windu could have had SOMETHING :mad: :mad:

ROTJLuke
08-08-2005, 05:34 PM
I think that the figures who wear robes or cloaks/capes etc. should be in soft goods, and instead of spending time and money on action features be more productive and useful and put that into accurate sculpting and articulation for both the figures and their accessories.

spang2005
08-08-2005, 06:13 PM
ROTJLuke, you made me think of this one. How about the plastic cloak that came with the original Jedi Luke and the soft goods one that came with the OTC one. Definately (one of the few times), I can say I prefer soft goods to plastic.

Reefer Shark
08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
While there are a few soft goods that came out ok (Evolutions Anakin, VOTC Vader, etc..), usually I prefer the sculpted plastic.

The thing with soft goods is that they're just not heavy enough to drape/hang right. They usually end up looking too big and poofy.

I'd like to see Hasbro put some wire armatures in the soft goods cloaks. That way you could make them hang right on the figures.

Qui-Long Gone
08-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Shark, I like the wire idea.....the thing that bends me (no pun intended) is when figures are de-robed, ala ROTS Mace, Fisto, Tiin, etc. Mace is the character who really gets left out. Even his AOTC figs were sans robe....at least Unleashed gave him a flaming robe....;)

Correct me if I'm wrong gang, but wasn't the only AOTC robed Anakin the "secret ceremony" Skywalker? He's another one who gets bad wear....and I have to respectfully disagree with ROTJLUKE (someone I usually agree with) and say I think Evolutions Anakin is horrible....all three (especially AOTC)!!! :(

DarthQuack
08-08-2005, 10:11 PM
I would have to go with cloth cloaks. They look and feel better than plastic which can tear more easily.

ROTJLuke
08-09-2005, 02:23 PM
ROTJLuke, you made me think of this one. How about the plastic cloak that came with the original Jedi Luke and the soft goods one that came with the OTC one. Definately (one of the few times), I can say I prefer soft goods to plastic.

Glad I made you think, ha, but yea, I prefered the soft goods over the plastic on this figure as well. As for being disagreed on about the Evolutions set, hey, to each his own. No hard feelings! :) :D Thats what were here for, to agree and disagree about our passion for these things. If we all loved the same stuff, imagine loving that TRD Luke, or the Saga Hoth Trooper, or any other action feature piece of s**t weve "recieved". More or less just thrown at us like dogs. I think '06 is gonna be a great year. We may not love everything that comes out, but were def. gonna see some major improvement...I can feel it. :D

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Soft or plastic....does anyone other than me not like when they're mixed? Windu arena confrontation (Saga)? Plastic sleeves and soft robe????? :rolleyes:

ROTJLuke
08-09-2005, 05:47 PM
When mixed like that, yea its sorta stupid looking. But if its like the evolutions, where its soft goods underneath plastic, it looks good imo. :)

spang2005
08-09-2005, 08:10 PM
The Evolutions pack shows how soft goods can go very well (ROTS Anakin), and terribly awful (AOTC Anakin). That fake leather thing was just plain dumb. Completely ruined what could have been the best prequel Anakin.

ROTJLuke
08-11-2005, 12:09 PM
The ROTS would come before the AOTC Anakin as best prequal, not the other way around.