PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Imperial Troop Transporter

LusiferSam
08-08-2005, 08:40 PM
This week we're talking about the Imperial Troop Transporter (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=8835&cat=3403), the only vintage vehicle that could talk. And it's first EU vehicle too. The ITT featured the voices of C-3PO, R2-D2, and the Stormtrooper plus laser and engine sounds, for six sounds in total. Other features were an opening front hatch, opening rear compartment for droid prisoners, rotating lasers and radar dish, and two black brain washing hoods. Available in 1979 and 1980 there are no major variations to speak of.

vader121
08-09-2005, 07:35 AM
This was a cool toy and I used it quite a bit to transport my Stormtroopers around. The buttons wore out pretty quick though from what I remember.

I think there was a variation for this in the stickers. I beleive alter releases of the toy had different stickers most notably on the front doors of the vehicle. These are harder to find and I have only seen them a few times. Mine was from the original release.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Are you going to review the Imperial Cruiser at the same time, LS, or do it seperately? I personally liked the IC better than the ITT, because there was more room without the electronics, and you didn't need batteries. But I loved this toy, never had it as a kid but a couple of my friends did. I did seek it out (the IC, not the ITT) when I began re-collecting SW. I wanted to get a car when I was old enough with "backwards" opening doors. Hardest thing about this toy was getting things stuck inside the side panel figure holders (guns at an angle, backpacks, etc.).

LusiferSam
08-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Are you going to review the Imperial Cruiser at the same time, LS, or do it seperately?
I was planning doing it separately because I think it's really quite different.

I never knew about this vehicle as kid (just too young), but I'm sure I would have loved and beat the heck of it. As an adult, I've had mixed feeling for it. About the time I really started to get into vintage collecting big time is about the time I started to really dislike the EU. And I've always been at odds with toys that were never in the movies (I really hate mini rigs). But the ITT kind of likes a transport vehicle the rebels used and it talks. I really the talking feature, it unique in the vintage line. So I bought one. Cheap too. The seller didn't think that it worked and listed it that way, but I showed them. A couple of hours worth of work and I get hear "R2-D2, where are you?" to my heart's content

Ji'dai
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I have a couple Imperial Troop Transporters. I got the first new, the second my dad bought at Goodwill a few years later. The sound effects were pretty cool, but I'd forget about the batteries and they'd leak in the battery compartment.

This thing had a lot of space for figures. I liked how the front driver/passenger doors opened, and rear door popped down for prisoners. Then you've got space for your troops on each side. Who had that many Stormtroopers to fill 'em though? Not me. As BCJ said, guns would get wedged down in the figure slots at times. I liked the brainwashing accessories too.

As EU vehicles go, this one was okay. The Troop Transporter came with a B&W mini-comic that starred the vehicle in a Tatooine adventure. So that was probably Kenner's way of trying to tie this thing into the film.

I wasn't a big fan of the later EU Mini-Rigs, but a couple of them (Hoth Tank & Vehicle Energizer) were neat enough to buy. I always had Chewie using the Vehicle Energizer Mini-Rig to work on the Falcon and Y-Wing, my two favorite ships.