PDA

View Full Version : Why we'll never get rich like Mark Hamill did on Amazing Stories

01-16-2002, 03:34 AM
How many of us were influenced by that show? You know the one - where Mark Hamill is visited by a (leprechaun, gnome, elf, satan?) SOMETHING and is told to save EVERYTHING he owned. Years later, after a somewhat wasted life he sells his collection, including things like Superman #1 for millions of dollars and retires in splendor. After seeing that show, I saved all my vintage SW stuff (not that I'd throw it out anyway) and still halfway look at it as my retirement plan. (It's doing a lot better than my 401K!) How many of us wanted to be like Steve Sansweet and have the sweetest collection in existence, and end up working for Lucas? Well, here's the problem: When the new toys came out in 95' we ALL started collecting! And now, only the extremely rare items are worth anything at all, and even then they are only hot for as long as people are thinking about them. Like the ROTJ Theater exclusive Luke, which was one of the most expensive things going four years ago and is now fetching a modest $50. Here's something else to consider, if you're collecting for profit: the new stuff out of its package is often worth more on ebay than its MIP equivalent. I saw two Speeder Bikes with Troopers that were auctioned on nearly the same day at $1.00 and at $2.00. Guess which was MIP? The $2.00 one - and it didn't get ANY bids. The other was loose, and sold for over $10! People (myself included) are specifically looking to buy stuff to display but don't want to open the packages, for fear of depreciating the value, yet supply is often exceeding demand and my bet is that the true rarities are opened toys. I'm not ragging on collecting, I'm just trying to point out that if you end up having to build an addition onto your house like Sansweet did to put all the stuff, don't plan on paying off the mortgage with it - likely it won't be worth that much for another couple thousand years.

LTBasker
01-16-2002, 08:26 AM
Mostly people like to buy loose stuff on ebay because they don't like to mess with the box if they're just gonna open it anyways plus it'll be smaller without the box so it saves on shipping.

I never want to sell my collection and don't plan on ever doing it. My .0000 Wuher may be worth quite a bit, but even my Naboo Security Guard is worth alot to me. I don't expect these things to last forever, and I'm not gonna buy them just for profit like a scalper or hoarder, I'm gonna enjoy the stuff I buy, why? My money, my toys, my hobby, my interest, my collection. :cool:

derek
01-16-2002, 02:31 PM
a while back a forum user named "episode 1 sucks" made the same point you did, but was very bitter about it because he couldn't turn a profit with his collection. you seem to have a much better attitude. kudos.

El Chuxter
01-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Stuff up through the 1980s can be valuable, because everyone who bought them opened them, trashed the packaging and played with the suckers. Around the early 1990s, it dawned on people that some old things were valuable. So everyone, regardless of their level of interest, jumps onto every new bandwagon. My best friend saw, for example, an old woman in Wal-Mart buying loads of Jar Jar figures when they came out because a news reporter had said that the E1 figures were popular and she wanted to sell them later to pay for her grandkids' college! :eek:

The "collecting mentality" is such that hordes of folks will start buying up something, hoping for a quick profit, and end up making everything so expensive that people who actually want it can't afford it. Then the bottom drops out of the market, and the product is either discontinued or noticeably drops in quality. This process has killed off, more or less, comics, baseball and other trading cards, Beanie Babies, and Pokemon, and is in danger of killing off action figures and Hot Wheels. It annoys me when I see rednecks with nothing better to do buying up all the Hot Wheels at a store so they can afford more corn to make moonshine with.

GNT
01-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
My best friend saw, for example, an old woman in Wal-Mart buying loads of Jar Jar figures when they came out because a news reporter had said that the E1 figures were popular and she wanted to sell them later to pay for her grandkids' college! :eek:

She was doing a good job cleaning the shelves of Jar Jar Binks toys :)

Wolfwood319
01-17-2002, 03:10 AM
I'd never have a collection as large as Steve Sansweet, IMO. I like collecting the action figures, and everyonce in awhile a cool book or something comes out, but that's it. I have nothing against Steve, but that's too much for me. With the largest collection AND working for Lucasfilm, this guy's whole life is Star Wars.

I like Star Wars, but I could never live just for Star Wars.

Collecting for profit is a joke at this point. Unless your buying old stuff, you'll almost never make a profit. Too many people have access to new stuff, and keep it MIP, and it never becomes rare. I have a substantial collection of Silver Age DC comics that I inherited, worth thousands. But unless myself or a loved one needed an operation or something, I'd never sell it. You collect because you love, you scalp (or try to) because your greedy, and not very intelligent.

Obi-Don
01-17-2002, 07:59 AM
I don't think I could say it ant better than LTBasker.So I won't.;) :D

JEDIpartner
01-17-2002, 08:21 AM
I agree with LTBasker. I have purchased these toys for my own enjoyment. I never purchase anything with the intent to resell it. I think I would really be heartbroken later on if I had a greedy moment and sold something "rare". I like the "having" and "getting" of the toys. I suppose when I'm dead and gone, if someone wants to profit from my collection they can. Maybe I'll have a couple of my favourite figures buried with me.