PDA

View Full Version : Reek image at Hasbro Site

mosnab
01-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Hasbro Star Wars has posted an image of the upcoming AOTC Reek Beast...thoughts?

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnewscontent.cfm?id=320

mosnab

InsaneJediGirl
01-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Is it just me,or does this Reek Beast look like something for Jurassic Park 4?

JEDIpartner
01-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Why, it's the REEK! Seriously, though... it's not that bad. I always wondered what my Asian mom made her Potato Reek soup from. Now I know! I won't be getting this, but it's not a bad looking beast. I think "Action legs" Anakin could get perched on top of this baby pretty easily!

Lman316
01-16-2002, 11:05 AM
InsaneJediGirl, you hit the nail on the head with that one. I was just about to post something similar once I saw that thing. It's "electronic sounds and thrashing attack action" just reminded me of all the JP stuff I used to buy.

Darth Ludicrous
01-16-2002, 11:16 AM
I think it looks pretty good and the features sound kind of cool, actually. Assuming the sounds turn out OK, I would think it would be great fun to have this thing roaring and thrashing through a crowd of figures.

As with the vehicles, Hasbro has shown some major progress here. Compared with the ep 1 Beasts (Eopie, Kaadu and Jabba were just awful) there is no question that this is a big step forward.

Let's hope the thrashing action means this bad boy has that rubber "real feel" skin (like the JP toys and the POTF2 Rancor). I don't know why you guys seem down on the JP line...I thought those Dinos were well done and remember wishing that the SW beasts were half as good.

mosnab
01-16-2002, 11:21 AM
Larger image at StarWars.com:

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/01/news20020116_0.html

Lman316
01-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Darth Ludicrous, I never said I had a problem with the JP stuff - I bought tons of JP figures, but not for JP3. I'm just saying that that's what this reminds me of.

InsaneJediGirl
01-16-2002, 11:38 AM
Hey,I wasnt downing JP stuff either,I have a ton of it from when the first movie came out.It just looks like some mutant thing that would be in JP3(Which,I havent seen).

I probably will buy this if it as "real feel" skin,which would be interesting(As some of you noted.)I wonder what the sounds are gonna be like.:confused:

JEDIpartner
01-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Hopefully Jett Lucas won't have had a hand in the sounds. Otherwise it'll go, "Rrrrrrrrrrr!" "Mrrrrwwwwwrrrrr!" "Wrooooooorrrrr!" & "Rrrrrroar!" :D

...or maybe it will just sing stuff by *NSYNC. ;)

chewie
01-16-2002, 12:26 PM
I have no problem with the toy. But I just wish isn't wasn't a big lizard again like so many other beasts in the SW universe.

El Chuxter
01-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Awwww, that thing looks wild! :D

I wonder, though, what's with the "eek" sound in SW?

"Teek used his super-speed to escape from the Reek, but Deak was doomed." :Pirate:

Lman316
01-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, this thing looks more like that beast from the Cone Heads movie.
I hope somebody knows what I'm talking about.

LTBasker
01-16-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
Actually, now that I think about it, this thing looks more like that beast from the Cone Heads movie.
I hope somebody knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah, pretty close. "I've got to... meep meep ...get away" (the meep meep aren't self-censored-curses for those of you unfamiliar with the song. :D)

Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Hey,I wasnt downing JP stuff either,I have a ton of it from when the first movie came out.It just looks like some mutant thing that would be in JP3(Which,I havent seen).

Maybe it's a kit-bash of parts from their one dino line they had where the dinos were like mutants or something and they were all these bizarre colors... Well it's a way to make money from something they probably got back 95% of what they made for the line. :rolleyes:

My opinion: The Reek reaks. :cool:

Darth Mojhaan
01-16-2002, 02:04 PM
The sculpt looks good, but I am not exited. I tried to get exited, but that thing is just blah blah blah! I guess that is why they added the sounds and stuff but I want beasts with riders that reminds me of the Dewback with Sandtrooper. Now that beast was awsome!!!

InsaneJediGirl
01-16-2002, 02:08 PM
I agree with you Mojhaan!!Stuff these days aint as good
as the POTF is:happy:

Jargo
01-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Somebody called it a strawberry after seeing the leaked Reek sneak peek :) sorry.

I think it looks cool as long as the paint doesn't get da-glo red in the production process. It's a nice aggresive beasty to add to the Rancor pit or add the Rancor to the arena battle. I'm not sure about the sounds myself but I bet the kids will go GRRRRooooow! for this. :) me, I'm taking any batteries it has in it out so that my dog doesn't attack it like he did the N1 fighter and electronic fx R2-D2.

here's hoping the other beasts show up on the official sites soon, I want to see the Acklay crab thingy and the Nexu wide mouth frog/lion/monster thingy.

Have you noticed how all the newer star wars stuff is in the spectrums of either blue, yellow or red? Sure there's minor variations and there's always the Jedi brown. But there's so much blue stuff and yellow stuff and red stuff. Now even the beasties are getting coloured up. This isn't a complaint just a comment.

Yeah, verdict so far on the Reek is that he is nice and I will deffo buy it but oops! he's got wide leg stance syndrome, bound to come in for flack because of that ;)

snakeplkn
01-16-2002, 02:34 PM
Any idea how big the Reek is to humans (and other figures)? It looks good, but I'll base the purchase on how the movie turns out. So far I would rank the official Hasbro releases as such:

Will Buy:
1) Slave I
2) Tusken Raider with Child
3) Jedi Starfighter
4) Padme

On the bubble:
4) Reek
5) Anakin
6) Shaak-Ti
7) Zam's Speeder

Won't Buy:
8) Anakin's Speeder
9) Boba Fett
10) Obi-Wan
11) Captain Typho

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

Unit-01
01-16-2002, 02:42 PM
WOW! They put the button on the belly! I was afraid it was going to be on the side or something.

SithDroid
01-16-2002, 03:59 PM
It doesn't look that bad. As for the sound effects, I could do without them. Only means I have to pay more for a figure for an option I don't want just like the commtechs.

yaddle yodas love pu
01-16-2002, 04:51 PM
I agree. The sound feature will probably increase the price by abou $10 and I bet most of us will hit the button twice and say "oh my" and then never use the sound option again. I'd rather get a pack in figure or lower price than sounds.

badtaste
01-16-2002, 05:10 PM
The thing is, it isn't very original.So it's a boring design.

Lord Tenebrous
01-16-2002, 05:20 PM
Any idea how big the Reek is to humans (and other figures)

From the leaked storyboards, I estimated it at about 8-9 feet tall, and maybe 15 feet long.

Jargo
01-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Looks to be Bantha height and lengty from the way Hayden was straddling the bluescreen stand in in the magazine pics and looking at the size of the boxes in the wal*mart planogram.

I'll be happy if it's bigger and happy if it's the same size as a bantha. :) GRRRRRRRooooooow! :crazed:

GNT
01-16-2002, 08:27 PM
It still looks like the same image we saw awhile ago :(

Tycho
01-17-2002, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Unit-01
WOW! They put the button on the belly! I was afraid it was going to be on the side or something.

Yes. It has a real belly-button.:D

Obi-Don
01-17-2002, 08:48 AM
I don't care for it to much,but my son will love it.:rolleyes: