PDA

View Full Version : What else do you collect or simply buy too much of?

UKWildcat
08-11-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't know about you all but my DVD collection is getting out of hand. I started buying dvds years ago and my "library" has reached well into the hundreds. Collecting and/or buying dvds has become a sickness, just like collecting Star Wars stuff. Most of my money that doesn't go towards Star Wars goes to Dvds and vice versa.

I've also been collecting McFarlane figures of different types. Mainly the McFarlane Sportspicks NFL Series. I'm so glad these figures are seasonal and I can't buy them year 'round. I also have gotten into the Mcfarlane movie figures as well, Alien, Predator, etc.

Does anyone else share the same or similar sickness? I know I'm not the only one out there.:crazed:

Cirielle
08-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Comic books - Really I have cut back on this as I had a kid and she took my comic room!
Novels
Transformers both original G1 and reissue G1
Voltron

Girly stuff - I am a girl here!
Barbies - cut back on this as pretty much I have all the ones I want.
Charmkins

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Right now I'm collecting beer bottles. Not just any bottles mind you, but Molson Canadian Twin Label (http://molsonusa.com/) bottles. I'm moving right along, but I've still got a fair amount of boozing left if I want to get all 232 of them.

JetsAndHeels
08-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Comic books
Sportscards (alot of them too)
McFarlane Sportspicks

Captain Spoon
08-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I also have hundred's of DVD's. I also do the McFarlane sportspicks and anything else cool Mcfarlane does. I also started to pick up the Marvel Legends figures. On top of taht I am an X-Box junkie so I have about 100 of those. I'll pretty much buy anything shiny lol

DarthQuack
08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
My DVD collection is up around 160, other than that don't really collecting anything else, don't have too many books, but starting to buy more of them.

Exhaust Port
08-11-2005, 09:49 AM
I collected all of the World of Springfield except for the last wave or so. They are now all boxed up as I just moved. With the shear number and size I don't know if I'll ever be able display it all. I also have quite a bit of other Simpsons collectibles that others have given me over the years. I never asked for any of it but I became the dumping grounds for Simpson stuff. Oh well. Interesting but I don't see them being on display in my future.

I also have a bit of a collection of Aviation prints and Rock Art. The collection only numbers in about the 20 piece area which doesn't seem like much given the amount of wall space it would take display even a portion of it makes the collection a bit awkward. The amount of money your average print goes for makes it a bit expensive at times. Man, I remember when the Rock Art stuff was about $30 a pop. Argh, I wish I had bought more back then!

Ji'dai
08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I collect all types of action figures, but it's such a frustrating and aggravating hobby with all the repacks, repaints, chase and exclusive figures that I think I'll quit, starting with Hasbro's stuff. Otherwise I collected whatever figs caught my eye - stuff from DST (Buffy), McFarlane (non-sports), Mezco (Hellboy), SOTA (Charmed), NECA (Ghostbusters/Kill Bill/Pirates of the Caribbean), and ToyBiz (LOTR).

I starting collecting LEGO again in the summer of 1998 and will probably focus on that entirely from now on. Pirates, Town, and Star Wars are my favorite themes.

vader68
08-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Besides Star Wars, I collect baseball and football cards. I have really cut back on this the past few years though, because with the Star Wars collection, it was just getting out of hand.So I had to cut something. I am a huge Dallas Cowboy fan, so I do still collect this stuff.

Slicker
08-11-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't really collect anything but Star Wars. It's pretty sad that that's where most of money goes. Oh, well.

figrin bran
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
sports cards
toybiz lotr figures and AOME
mcfarlane sportspicks, but only of players i like.

JetsAndHeels
08-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Besides Star Wars, I collect baseball and football cards. I have really cut back on this the past few years though, because with the Star Wars collection, it was just getting out of hand.So I had to cut something. I am a huge Dallas Cowboy fan, so I do still collect this stuff.

Same with me. I collect Jets and former Carolina players. Cards are so high now, with the addition of game used and autograph cards into the hobby.
I find it to be a very rewarding hobby though (just like SW) when the toy selections are very low.
Whats your highest card, book value wise?
Mine is an 04 Upper Deck Ultimate Joe Namath jersey/autograph #ed out of 25. I would have never been able to buy it, but when the tax returns came back I splurged. :)
And one day, before I leave this earth, I will own an 86 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card. I consider that my personal holy grail of card collecting.

vader68
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Same with me. I collect Jets and former Carolina players. Cards are so high now, with the addition of game used and autograph cards into the hobby.
I find it to be a very rewarding hobby though (just like SW) when the toy selections are very low.
Whats your highest card, book value wise?
Mine is an 04 Upper Deck Ultimate Joe Namath jersey/autograph #ed out of 25. I would have never been able to buy it, but when the tax returns came back I splurged. :)
And one day, before I leave this earth, I will own an 86 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card. I consider that my personal holy grail of card collecting.

I remember when it was just Topps cards and maybe 2 others, now there are so many card companies with so many different versions it just got ridiculous. I am not sure what my most valuable card is, but I do have several Derek Jeter Rookie cards, and I have a Willie Mays autograph card. Good luck with the MJ rookie card, should be cheaper to get now that he retired twice.I also have the almost complete set of 1980 topps baseball

JetsAndHeels
08-11-2005, 11:38 AM
A Willie Mays auto? Man, that's pretty darn impressive.
I don't have many baseball cards, all football and basketball. My best baseball card is the 89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie.
I've got my work cut out for me this year, with the new jets rookies and all the unc guys who went to the NBA.

inkedforlife
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
For me besides the Star Wars collections the next biggest is Tattoo's. I have a lot of money wrapped around these bones and most of that even is Star Wars. Although I do have some non-Star Wars tattoos. If you ever want to see the tatts or other really cool tatts check out the site I have mine on. It's called TATTOOSANDTOYS.COM Shane the guys that runs it has thousands of tatts from all over the world on there for Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers and others.

After all that then it is to the reptiles. Four snakes and three Geckos means a lot of tanks and a lot money spent on extras there. They are pets but breeding them is the hobby part that turns into time and fun. Some money comes back too but seems to always get spent on more of one or the other hobbies.

UKWildcat
08-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I collected all of the World of Springfield except for the last wave or so.

I definitely regret not collecting the World of Springfield Simpsons stuff. I have a little bit of Simpsons stuff like the Faces of Springfield 12" figures, some of the blockos, ornaments and bendable poseable figures.

I do have all the Simpsons DVDS though. :D

vader68
08-11-2005, 12:16 PM
A Willie Mays auto? Man, that's pretty darn impressive.
I don't have many baseball cards, all football and basketball. My best baseball card is the 89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie.
I've got my work cut out for me this year, with the new jets rookies and all the unc guys who went to the NBA.
I am not overly excited with the autograph card, because I can't believe it is real. I found it in a pack of cards a couple of years ago, and I have not confirmed if it is legit or a copy. Ken Griffey's value has really tumbled, too bad.It is always hit or miss with the rookies, but I try to find them when I can. I am trying to get a Julius Jones rookie now. I am not a big fan of pro Basketball, so I don't have many. I probably have a even split between baseball and football.

scruffziller
08-11-2005, 12:26 PM
DVDs. I have a 400 disc DVD carousel. It is filling up fast enough with having NETFLIX rentals. I only buy ones that I REALLY want to own otherwise I just rent. Because I usually get my satisfaction from one watching.

Kidhuman
08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Just SW for me. I do get an occasional figurer from another line if it looks good though.

jaxx
08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Star Wars is the main addiction.

My other addiction is weaponry (blades... not guns. I hate guns)!!!! I love a good kitana, ninja sword, or dagger. I also love axes. I'm just into really shiny sharp steel blades! :D I'm planning on building a cabinet like the one that the bad dude in "The Crow" has his swords in.

I also collect art. I prefer sculptures, but you need a lot of room for that kind of collection.

I used to be into McFarlane figs A LOT! Not so much anymore though. I'll pick up a McFarlane sports picks figure once in a while (mainly when I see a Chicago Cubs figure, I'll pick it up for my girlfriend... she's a die hard Cubbies fan!!!)

Other than that... not too much.
Of course, I have my collection of video games, DVD's and music, but I don't really consider that "collecting." I just consider it "aquiring." You buy it, you play it (or listen to it/watch it), you get tired of it, or you beat the game, and you get rid of it/trade it in to one of those EB Games places.

When it comes down to it... I'm a "display" oriented collector. If it will look awesome displayed in an artistic fashion, I gotta have it.

JetsAndHeels
08-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Vader68, I have a couple extra Julius Jones cards laying around from last year. I would be willing to trade them to you if you have any Jets players laying around. Just lmk if youre interested.

LusiferSam
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
I collect quite a few things. I was real into GI Joe (the '80s action figures not the 60's or 70's dolls) for a number of years. I backed off them to focus more on my vintage SW collection. Books are another big thing for me. Right now I'm on a real Tolkien kick. Starting in '99 I began buying a lot of his books. Having found all the normal stuff I'm now looking for the really odd and rare works. Coins are yet another item. I wouldn't say I spend a lot of money on them as they are money. Its mostly pocket change.

But the really big thing that I collect are legos (non Star Wars). This has been my prime focus since 1988. I love them and just can't get enough. I have pretty reasonable sized collection of sets, close to 400 right now (maybe more, I haven't count for a bit) plus an untold number of loose bricks. Not large by any stretch, but big enough I can have all of them put together at one time any more. That reminds me I need to start making space on my shelves for the Vikings when they finally get here.

UKWildcat
08-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Of course, I have my collection of video games, DVD's and music, but I don't really consider that "collecting." I just consider it "aquiring."
I will have to disagree with you here. There are a lot of people that collect dvds. People collect Criterion dvds, Vista Series and other releases. Disney dvds, Out of Print dvds, people collect releases from dvd companies like Anchor Bay, like their Limited Edition Tins, etc etc.

When it comes down to it... I'm a "display" oriented collector. If it will look awesome displayed in an artistic fashion, I gotta have it.
All of my dvds look good displayed on their racks and shelves. All of my seasons of the X-Files look amazing displayed. Same with the Simpsons seasons, Friends seasons and a lot of my horror box sets. Alien Quadrilogy looks good with the 12" McFarlane Alien Figure next to it. Nightmare on Elm Street box set looks good with the Freddy Krueger 12" Sideshow figures. My Lava Vader looks awesome on the shelf with the Star Wars Box set and episode I and II. Gotta have the dvds displayed nicely.

I love a good kitana, ninja sword, or dagger. I also love axes. I'm just into really shiny sharp steel blades!

Thats awesome, just don't come after me! :D

jaxx
08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
I will have to disagree with you here. There are a lot of people that collect dvds. People collect Criterion dvds, Vista Series and other releases. Disney dvds, Out of Print dvds, people collect releases from dvd companies like Anchor Bay, like their Limited Edition Tins, etc etc.

You're absolutely correct! I have a buddy who collects anything and everything from Tim Burton (movies, shorts, animations, soundtracks, toys, etc...). I'm sorry that I wasn't clear... my bad.;)
I should have phrased that differently. As I do have a rather large collection of DVDs, CDs, and games... I don't regard myself as a collector. I don't intend on collecting a certain genre or series of movies by a favorite director, etc... I just buy what movies I really enjoy, and, because I've bought too many, I've aquired quite a collection. So, my collection was aquired, not intended to be a collection.

No worries... my blades are for display only, until someone tries to break into my home... then I have to remember how to throw an axe.lol

darthvyn
08-11-2005, 05:28 PM
anyone who skims the "transformers: energon & beyond" thread in the "collecting: other" forum knows i'm all over the alternators like a sauce...

got a good amount of the muppet figures. nothing close to a full set, or anything. started out just trying to get the "electric mayhem" members, but branched off for some other cool figs...

mcfarlane movie maniacs are pretty big. not into the horror figs, but have some of the others: terminator, t-1000, the crow, lord of darkness from legend, can't remember the rest right now.

comic books, although i haven't been in a store in like, 6 months or something ridiculous like that. fortunately (and unforunately) my old store in NY holds all books that i want for me, so next weekend when i go up there for my bachelor party, i'm going to have to drop a bundle there... *shudder*

dvd's - i would go with the "aquiring" of as well. i did collect all the x-files seasons, and i'm doing the batman and superman animated series as well. thinking about doing farscape and/or star trek: voyager as well...

mp3's - i collect the ones that i know i would never buy the whole album for. also rarities and live stuff. listening to an awesome version of "hurt" by NIN - accompanied by david bowie. pretty cool stuff, there. didn't even remember i had it!

gamecube games - not a play-it-and-trade-it guy. i like to keep 'em. i don't know if it would be considered more of an "aquisition" than a "collection," though...

and anyone who checks in on the "help figuring out your pet cat's behavior" thread in the gen.disc. knows that my fiance and i are now collecting cats!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I presently am collecting just one line of toys--Star Wars--and that of course encompasses a lot of items.

Over the years I have collected many things starting with Baseball cards in the late 80's to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I then graduated to comic books around 1991 and stopped that habit in early '94. In between I managed to get the whole line of Terminator 2 toys.

In the mid 90's I branched out to NHL cards and of course Star Wars which I have collected since, save a lull in 1998 in where I gave it up for close to a year. During that time, I managed to rack up 150 Beanie Babies :frus: from which I now regret doing.

I wouldn't call the DVDs I get collecting, seeming that I only have 20, but lately I have been starting to acquire some James Bond movie posters (I got 5 now, 1 from each actor) and one toy I did find at Big Lots.

bobafrett
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Well mostly Star Wars but I do have my kitchen where there is mostly Cubs and Bears figures, and some of the Muppets sets, but I really wanted to get the muppets figures, but with my debt load, I just simply couldn't take that on. I do collect a great deal of credit card debt.

InsaneJediGirl
08-11-2005, 10:01 PM
I mainly collect Star Wars,but I do like certain comic books and older/rare novels.Whatever catches my eye on those really,not so much the value involved.

I'd like to start collecting a few different art and photography prints,but of course that takes money :)

Umbra
08-12-2005, 12:35 AM
BEsides star wars, I have one other major hobby, CCG's

I've collected everything from POkemon to Decipher-star Wars to YU-Gi-Oh.

Others include: Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, MS war, Magic: the Gathering, and Yu Yu Hakusho

Sith Lord 0498
08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
If I'd kept every single DVD I ever bought, my collection would be in the 300+ range by now. However, I've whittled it down to around 90 plus the TV seasons my wife wanted. The rest I used over time for trade-in credit, cash, sold to friends, given to friends, etc.

Star Wars is the main focus right now, but I've been reeling that in as well and dispersing large portions to members of the PA Star Wars Collectors' Society.

My other focus has become movie toys/collectibles with an emphasis on science fiction and horror. Here's a quick sampling of what I have:

Batmobile (Burton/Keaton version) die-cast car (Hot Wheels)
Darkman (SOTA's Now Playing)
Mohawk Gremlin (NECA's Cult Classics)
Robocop (Movie Maniacs)
Alien impaling Predator (McFarlane's AVP mini-diorama line)
T-800 Endoskeleton 18 inch figure (NECA)

My wife's just thrilled with me... lol :p

UKWildcat
08-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Anyone out there remember the cartoon M.A.S.K? I've got a huge box full of figures and vehicles, and Boulder Hill, that haven't been touched in years. I just found them when I was cleaning out the attic the other day. I am only missing a few vehicles and figures then I'm pretty sure I will have a pretty complete collection. I have been checking out ebay and surprisingly there is a lot of M.A.S.K stuff on there. If you all are familiar with the series and toys, then you know how awesome they would look displayed. Those toys bring back some memories.

Might have to complete that collection after all :thumbsup:

Also found a bunch of old He-Man figures.

Rocketboy
08-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Besides SW stuff, I collect:

DVDs - I have a ton (over 100) and a I have a few I've had for quite a while and still haven't watched. If it's a movie I really liked, odds are I'll buy it. I may not watch it very often, but I like to have it when I want to.

Comics - just the ones I read on a regular basis, like The Punisher, SW Republic, and small handful of others. I'll re-read most of these over and over.

Books - I'm a buy it and keep it reader. I rarely go to the library unless I can't find a particular book. Plus, for some reason, if I go to a library I never finish it before it's due.

Art books - Being an art major, they have become a very useful tool on my education. Plus, very inspirational. I love going to bookstores and finding a great deal on a great art book (outlet malls often have really great deals).

Ashley Wood - This could almost be considered in art books, but since he (yes, he) also does magazines and comics, I put him in his own category. I could look at this guy's work all day. I on't really have much of a collection yet, but I am slowly working on it.

CaptainSolo1138
08-26-2005, 06:42 AM
I collect dust. My newest obsession is vintage figures. I've yet to start, but I'm really looking into it (availability, price, etc.).

inkedforlife
08-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Captainsolo I just met an old timer yesterday that has tons of old Star Wars figures in mint condition. This guy is in his Eighties at least and has been collecting HOTWHEELS, STAR WARS, BEENIE BABIES and all kids of stuff since before I was born and I am 37 now.
I think he has almost every Vintage figure from '77, '80 and '83 still on cards. I mean these things went straight from store shelves into protective cases. Best thing is for the right price he is always willing to sell his stuff. I want to do the same thing myself but money's tight and my tattoo's come first when it comes to the big money investments. If your ever interested let me know and I can ask him to check and see what he has and what he wants for it.

CaptainSolo1138
08-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Captainsolo If your ever interested let me know and I can ask him to check and see what he has and what he wants for it.
Good lookin' out, inked! The thing is that I collect loose. So I'll usually be able to pick up whatever I need for 1/10th the cost of it carded. But, if the time comes when I "get stuck", you'll be the first person I PM! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-24-2008, 01:14 AM
I collect dust. My newest obsession is vintage figures. I've yet to start, but I'm really looking into it (availability, price, etc.).

So how'd that work out for you? I'm sure you have accumulated some fine specimen of dust throughout the years (Lord knows I have), but how about those vintage figs?

Me? I don't collect much of anything anymore. Nothing intended anyways.

Blue2th
02-24-2008, 02:56 AM
I collect those huge 21st Century 1:18 airplanes. I've got quite a few.
I would say I simply buy too much of these, because at their size one of each is almost too many.
Luckily, they aren't being made as much as before like the rest of their 1:18 line which makes less to buy. Walmart quit carrying them also.

With scarcity comes a high demand lately on the secondary market which is nice to know if I need to make some room and unload them.

Jargo
02-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Character Options Dr Who figures
Lego parts. Especially HTF stuff.
Teddy bears. (only proper traditional ones though. doesn't need to be Steiff but needs to be the right colour, fabric, have the right face)
Terry Pratchett books. And official related material.
Dust.

CaptainSolo1138
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
So how'd that work out for you? I'm sure you have accumulated some fine specimen of dust throughout the years (Lord knows I have), but how about those vintage figs?Yeah, that obsession was short lived. Let's not talk about it.lol

jedi master sal
02-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I do collect some Transformers-movie related stuff, not the main line.
As well Halo stuff, it's been mostly minis and a smattering of figures. I haven't bought anything Halo related though in a couple of months.
And then Marvel stuff, which I share in collecting with my fiancee. Just Marvel Legends and Marvel Super hero squad.

In the last year I dropped collecting Batman animated (the new series) as well as Justice League stuff. I think I might have bought one fig from each of those lines.

I'm not gearing up to buy any new lines either. I think I'll be tempted by the "Spectacular Spiderman" figures from the new cartoon. Haven't heard any news of toys from the cartoon, but it's inevitable. But I think I can pass on them.

I'm really glad that GG is slowing down on the mini-busts. I don't collect the "classic" or mid sized bust line, so that's money saved there.

Hasbro's going to animated for the cartoon is going to save me a bundle on figures.

So all in all, I'm way down on collecting this year for everything. Though in the spring there will be a spike in Halo stuff with the new Halo3 figures coming out. I have most of that already on pre-order form EE, but if I see them in stores I'll buy them there first then just cancel my EE orders. This isn't an army building line for me (mostly due to the cost of one figure) so I can collect as I want and not feel compelled to buy mass amounts of figures.

Since I've virtually cut out my army building as well out of SW, that's another few hundred a year that I'm saving.

Maybe it's maturity or just plain ol' getting old. I just find my desire to collect dwindling. Not for the root of what I collect though, meaning I still love the SW movies, Halo video games, Transformer movie, Marvel heroes. Just cutting down on the merchandise related stuff. Besides I only have so much room. With a 10X10X25 storage unit nearly filled, it was time anyway for the drawdown of collecting.

JetsAndHeels
02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Though in the spring there will be a spike in Halo stuff with the new Halo3 figures coming out. I have most of that already on pre-order form EE, but if I see them in stores I'll buy them there first then just cancel my EE orders.

I preordered the Master Chief online, and nothing else. I don't want to get suckered into collecting another toy line too much right now.

I spend most of my "toy budget" on tmnt stuff (neca figs are already preordered), superman stuff, dvd's, etc.

I haven't bought as many sportscards in the last 6 months because the Jets didn't get as many good picks in the draft. I used to try to get at least each regular rookie card of each new player, but this season I just went with the minimum of 1 or 2, plus an auto card.

jedi master sal
02-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I preordered the Master Chief online, and nothing else. I don't want to get suckered into collecting another toy line too much right now.

I here ya. I'm not getting suckered into the line though. I genuinely like the games and want the figures. I only have a few from the first two. I won't be buying all of the ones from H3 though.

JetsAndHeels
02-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I here ya. I'm not getting suckered into the line though. I genuinely like the games and want the figures. I only have a few from the first two. I won't be buying all of the ones from H3 though.

I don't have any figures from any of the previous Halos. I figured I would wait, and I am glad I did...now that McFarlane is making Halo 3 figs I figured it was as good a time as any to get a Master Chief.

UKWildcat
02-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, that obsession was short lived. Let's not talk about it.lol

Aye Aye Captain. lol

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Celebrity toenail clippings. And CDs and coffee.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Celebrity toenail clippings. And CDs and coffee.

You got one of Uma's toenail clippings Chux?

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
So far I have none in my collection. But that's still too many. :)

I have no idea how many different things of coffee we have. And I'm working on cataloging my CDs, and I know it's at least between 2,000 and 5,000. (I listen to a lot of music, and have been amassing CDs, mostly used, for about 20 years. I get some music online now, but there's still a slight difference in sound quality, so I'm one of the few people getting more CDs than MP3's still.)

I've got just about as many comics, but there are very few coming out now that I follow, so I didn't mention that.

It always gets me when someone sees my CDs or comics and say, totally seriously, "You should open a comic shop," or "You should open a used CD store." Duh, I wouldn't have them if I didn't want them.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a pretty good DVD collection, and usually have to get a new shelf once a year to accomodate all the new ones. I also have my Superman collection, video games, alot of the old Sarting Lineups Baseball figures, and my newly started collection of BSG figures. I use to collect Art Asylums Star Trek line until they got too hard to find , but I do have most of what was first released in the begining.

While I don't have as many comics or CDs as you do Chux I do have a decent collection of both myself.

I try hard to stay away from a whole lot of new stuff aside from SW, but there's always something I come across that catches my eye.

Kidhuman
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I have been getting some Doctor Who stuff as well. I also collect paychecks from my job

DarthQuack
02-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Big DVD collector, approaching 400 DVD's currently....just got an HDTV so I may be upgrading to a Blu-Ray player and then new DVD's....we'll see though....I did collect things that Frank Costanza had....aka TV Guides for a little while....still have a few boxes of them in my Dad's attic....

Rocketboy
02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
DVDs - I have a ton (over 100) and a I have a few I've had for quite a while and still haven't watched. If it's a movie I really liked, odds are I'll buy it. I may not watch it very often, but I like to have it when I want to.My, how things have changed. I have over 300 DVDs now, probably closer to 400 (maybe more). I haven't counted them in ages.

urrutiap
02-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Well back in 2002-2003 i was going overboard a little bit with buying DVDs when I was supposed to be concentrating on spending the money to pay for rent while I was living off campus when going to a community tech school. I ran into a snag during some lame test time trial for a class so I didnt graduate. But thank god I had a school loan check to pop up at the last minute which helped me out. I was buying DVDS left and right which I shouldnt have done but you just cant help it. I was buying stuff like Scary Movie 2, Clerks regular DVD, Dogma special edition from the pawn shop, Soul Survivors, Jacob's Ladder, Men in Black Deluxe Edition with Men In Black 2 pack set, Back to the Future Trilogy DVD that was a little pricey at the time, Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs regular edition DVD, X-Men 1.5, Star Trek II collector's Edition DVD. Yeah i went overboard but the community college i went to i wasnt getting anything out of it

TeeEye7
02-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Just about any extracurricular spending has come to a halt (although not completely). My son is in his first year at the local junior college; will go on to finish out at a four year university (hopefully), so that's the financial priority.

A word of wisdom from an old dude to the young parents on the boards: Start saving now if you are planning to put your kiddies through college. My wife and I started saving when our son was 2 years old it's lessened the financial blow considerably. Going to the local JC has helped us, too. Tuition "sticker shock" has been an eye-opener as we are looking at an out of state university for him in less than two years.

We still pick up the occasional SW figure, but we're a lot more discriminating that we were in the old day. I still have my coin collecting habit which is hard to give up, but that's about the only other thing I still bother with when it comes to collecting.

Old Fossil
02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I still have my coin collecting habit which is hard to give up, but that's about the only other thing I still bother with when it comes to collecting.

Do you collect US, foreign, or both? I've been on again/off again with coins since about 1984. After my last round of coin collecting a couple of years ago, I ended up with some Roman silver denarii, but that quickly became too expensive and I soon turned my focus to ROTS figures that year.

TeeEye7
02-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Both. I'm really a junkie for the offerings from the US Mint, especially the commemorative coins. I just wish I could afford what I'd REALLY like to own. I normally end up with the new year's proof sets every year: penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar, and dollar. I'm currently doing a poor job on the Presidents coins,too.

As for foreign, I like to impose on friends traveling abroad to bring me back the lowest denomination paper bill from whatever country or countries they may be visiting. They're not bulky, they don't weigh anything, and they don't have to go out of the way for me since they'll need funds anyway. I really like the foreign paper bills and their designs. US paper currency is really boring to me, although it's gotten more interesting of late. Friends also throw coins in on the deals, so I'm usually set. :thumbsup: