PDA

View Full Version : Completism: I May Have Seen the Light!

jjreason
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey gang. A lightbulb went on over my head at TRU yesterday, and it felt pretty neat. I saw the Mustafar playset for the umpteenth time, sitting there on the shelf and thought to myself (as per usual) ahhhh, it'll be here - I'll get it later.

The fact that I've put it off at least 12 times actually helped something click - I think I don't want it. In the past, there would have been no real thought put in - it includes figures I don't have and thus is a "need" on my master list - but for some reason, I can now see a fuzzy line between "wants" and "needs" for the first time in my SW figure collecting life.

I'm going to pass on this playset, the Duel sets, the craptastic KB 9 Pack with (yet another stupid) Silver Darth Vader figure, the deluxe figure Clone 3 packs, and most of the vehicles..... just because I finally feel that I can.

That being said, I'll likely break down and buy whatever I find from this lot on clearance - but I'm not paying the going rate.

Anyone else have a distinct recollection of a significant change in their collecting focus?

2-1B
08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
You have done well Lord Reason. Congratulations, you are on the road to recovery !
I don't recall when exactly I kicked the completist bug but it was somewhere around 1998 or 1999 and I haven't regretted it at all. :grin:

bobafrett
08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes JJR. But I'm not quite sure if mine comes from a "what I can afford" over my "needs" and "wants". I avoid buying most of the ships and playsets, and instead concentrate on the figures and Gentle Giant. I'm not sure that if I had an extra $500 a month to spend on SW toys, that I would not own everything that I could get my hands on, however I have seen some stuff out there that just makes me say "No Thank You, I'll Pass", because the quality just isn't in the product. I kinda wished I had taken a better look at the Jedi Vs. Sith pack, as some of the paint jobs are sub standard, very poorly done.

I also collect Lego's and I passed on a lot of the EPI stuff, just because I was very unhappy with the movie, and I felt my purchases should reflect that.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Congrats REASON! Frack, I'll never forget that feeling...that aweful anxious borderline OCD feeling of having to have them all... :puke: I never want to feel that way again and it started for me with EP1 figures! I got the entire first 3 waves and then I realized that hey, I don't really like this movie so why do I want figures of something I don't really like so from there I just pick and choose the characters from the new movies that I like (and yes there are plenty :) ). I also used to get two or more of everything to keep carded and one day I just opened over half of my collection and have them all over in awesome dioramas...they really do look better OUT of the box to me and I can pick em up whenever I want and play with them.

Exception: OTC and VOTC just cuz those look damn cool on their awesome little card backgrounds!

:thumbsup: congrats!

scruffziller
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
You have done well Lord Reason. Congratulations, you are on the road to recovery !
I don't recall when exactly I kicked the completist bug but it was somewhere around 1998 or 1999 and I haven't regretted it at all. :grin:

Roger that. It was unreal to finally let that feeling go of that, "the toys control you.":pleased:

vader68
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
It happened to me after EpI. The thing I got tired of was the release of the same figures on the different cards . I mean come on how many different versions of Luke skywalker or Darth Vader do you really need. It just got out of hand. Not to mention the cost of everything. I finally decide I don't need to collect just to have everything,just collect what I want. I also had 2 of every figure, most of my doubles I donated a couple of years ago to a kids group in NYC. I didn't get my money back, but it was good for the kids and I got a tax write off.

El Chuxter
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
I broke the completism bug with Sio Bibble, Jabba w/ Hexen & Rexen (where did those names come from?), the Eopie, and Holo Sidious way back when. But I wasn't at peace with this. I still wanted those figures. (Some of them I still wouldn't mind having.)

Saga HOF/OTC were easy, since I open everything. Aside from a few worthy repaints (Bespin Luke without the blood, the greatly improved Gammorrean), the reissues were easy to pass on.

But now with every vehicle being reissued in every color of the rainbow on a weekly basis (who needs four Jedi Interceptors?), the lousy pack-in figures, the nonstop exclusives, etc, it's pretty easy.

The TRU Y-Wing with the psychedelic paint job looked cool, but I have nowhere to put it.

The Mustafar playset and the Arena Battlers will still get my attention if and when they get clearanced out.

But I have enough crap. I'll just be an Alternators completist from now on. :D

shammykenobi
08-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I used to be a completist when I was alot younger...and then I quit collecting for a bit and started again shortly after episode 1 came out...anyway, when I got back into it, I didn't have to have one of everything, but sometimes I would get excited and buy figures I didn't really want...but I was usually with other collectors and I guess the thrill of seeing something new in the store took over...now I just buy only the figures that I really want, which is basically jedi and clone troopers...or just about anything from the original trilogy.

Ryno
08-16-2005, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=vader68]It happened to me after EpI. The thing I got tired of was the release of the same figures on the different cards . I mean come on how many different versions of Luke skywalker or Darth Vader do you really need.

That's when it happened for me too, with the whole "Power of the Jedi" line. Starting with that line, I just adopted the same philosophy I had when it came to buying two figures (one to open) - just get the ones that interest you most. I didn't mind the Saga line and the ROTS line because those were fresh new figures and I have the complete sets (what I've found of ROTS anyway) of both. But, when Hasbro starts rehasing stuff like they did with the OTC , then I just step away and get whatever is new and whatever interests me.

jjreason has the right idea :thumbsup: if you pass on it, then you probably don't want it anyway.

jjreason
08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
It's kind of weird, but when I ask myself "What do you really WANT?", the answer is straight forward:

1. All the new basic figures, with multiples of army builders.

2. Any cool ship that I can open and display, especially if it comes with an exclusive figure.

3. Any multi-figure set that helps me build armies for my display or includes a good quality figure I can't get elsewhere.

4. To re-collect the vintage figures I had when I was a kid, and then finish the off the last wave I started - which was the one just before the POTF figures came out.

I'm a much healthier and happier collector of other lines. My Marvel Legends collection is only as complete as I can make it without relying on paying too much on ebay for variants or shortpacked figures I can't find, and my LOTR collection only consists of figures I have found at retail - and then only ones that really got me excited. I wish I was able to dial my SW sickness down to that level, but I'm not really hopeful that I can. The only thought that can help me? We VOTE for the acceptability of these products with our money. By going out of my way to track down stuff that A) is too hard to get or B) is too expensive for what you get - I'm only shooting myself and other collectors in the foot. If you kicked me in the guts and I gave you $20, wouldn't you kick me again?

Ji'dai
08-16-2005, 06:07 PM
I halted my completists ways in late 90s. To be honest, the collector in me still regretted passing on stuff though. But I can't justify buying some crappy playset, vehicle, or exclusive just to have a complete collection.

I decided to stop collecting SW toys this summer. I feel a little regret but it's also like a great weight has been lifted from me too. I've enjoyed collecting, but I'm just tired of all the figure repacks, repaints, chase and exclusives.

wedge1968
08-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Bless all of you. I can't break free. I am trapped until the end...

Slicker
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Bless all of you. I can't break free. I am trapped until the end...Don't worry I'm with you too.

I still have fun finding new figs on the shelves but I realize that if I wasn't a completist that I wouldn't buy 90% of the crap that I do. The way I see it now is that I've invested too much to stop.

mabudonicus
08-17-2005, 08:16 AM
I think it hit me about the same time it hit Chux- the Sio Bibble wave or so... up til then, I had picked up a lot of my absolute fave figures from the TPM line at retail, and was planning on filling out the line once they got clearanced, but the longer they just hung there, "holding value" , somehows defying all retail logic (as happens in the odd "fields" in TRUs everywhere it seems) and new waves were coming out that I knew I would never see or get a chance to buy without regretting the substantial outlay, well, that whole thing was enough.
I have only bought 5 figures from ROTS (I would have bought closer to 10 but they stopped showing up after early May here) and 2 of them I could live without (JediElf thought I NEEDED Shaak Ti for some reason, and Preview Grievous ain't as good as a couple of the later ones IMO)

And yes, I must agree with all who've said it was like a massive weight being lifted.

Good on ya, JJ, you should be able to make a full recovery :beard:

JetsAndHeels
08-17-2005, 09:50 AM
I also was able to beat the completism bug. I knew I had gotten over it the first time I was able to pass up on a new figure. Used to be I had to get anything that was new....it did not matter what it was, or if it had been the umteenth time repacked. I knew that after a few times of passing up on things I did not really want, that my completist ways were gone. And yes, it is a great feeling.
I am more enthusiastic about my sportscard collection now anyway since football season is right around the corner.

JediTricks
08-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the club, I was a figure complestist right up until the Saga line, the first waves of the Ep 2 line just didn't resonate with me well, I got less than half of 'em and I had *no problem* with that at all. I think the breaking point was the so-called Tusken Female with child which looked like something that was so anti-Star Wars in my book that I couldn't bother, and money was a little tight so it just made it easier. Being a non-completist collector feels so great now, like this ROTS Tarkin figure, I can't find him and I don't care at all. Or with pricier stuff like the Jedi vs Sith battlepack, I keep running into it and am so happy to NOT spend my money on it.

darthvyn
08-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Or with pricier stuff like the Jedi vs Sith battlepack, I keep running into it and am so happy to NOT spend my money on it.

not just pricier, but it looks like butt. i saw it the other day, and it looks like those cheap mexican knock-offs. where did they get the molds for those guys??? and is it the first time they've released clonetrooper armor for obi-wan clone wars style? if so, it's just a slap in the face for all the fans that have been clamoring for that figure for a while now... at least he might look better with the helmet on - that obi-wan fig is a double bagger.

on the completism tip, i've never really been a SW completist... only back in the day with the he-man looking potf2 collection. but even then, there were some figs i just did without.

the only thing i would say i'm completist about are the transformers alternators as well... but i don't even have a complete set, as i'm missing dead end. i'll pick him up on ebay some day...

shammykenobi
08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
I bought the battle pack and am a little disappointed too...the main reason I bought it is because I didn't have any version of a long haired obi wan that I really liked and I thought the one in this pack looked pretty good...I also really liked the battle between anakin and asajj and thought those figures looked kinda good...but overall this 5 pack lacks alot to be desired...someone the other day on here said that you can put obi wans head on an at-te gunners body with the cape that came with obi and that it looks really good...they had pictures and I thought it was pretty sweet...haven't tried it with mine yet...but will later.

Devo
08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
I used to be a completist in so far as I bought absolutely everything I could find - however since I wasn't always able to find everything i couldn't succeed in my completist objectives. Nowadays I have r2dtoys which enables me to get pretty much everything I want and yet there is a lot of stuff that I will not buy. Certain figures which I deem to be crap, rehashes I couldn't be bothered with, recards, variants etc. Even so I wish I were capable of even more restraint because I still buy too much. I'm 23 on monday and I'm really feeling like I've spent far too much time and money on these things instead of more normal activities, interests and responsibilities expected of someone my age. I'm going to make a better effort now at reducing my expenditure on toys. I've cut down my list of 'wants' off r2dtoys.

Rogue II
08-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I broke the completist habbit back in the 90s. It started by not buying card variations (freeze frame, holograms, etc.) mostly because I opened my figures. Then the EU figures started rolling out and that craptacular Cruisemissle trooper. I bought Thrawn because I liked the books, but that was about it. I decided not to collect TPM figures, well except for figures that were OT related (R-2, Tusken Raider). To this day, I've only bought 4 figures from the ROTS line (Tarkin, C-3PO, Red Royal Guard, and the Emperor). Granted, I during movie years, I have done some custom figures and a little more army building (Stormtrooper 4-packs, Saga Royal Guards & Rebel Endor troops come to mind). Seriously, how many variations of R2 are they going to make and why does it seem like they are getting worse each time?

I didn't collect too many vehicles, but I did pick up some during those big clearance sales (AT-AT, X-Wing, A-Wing, Vader's TIE, Slave I). Up to that point I only had the Landspeeder. Since then, except for the AT-ST/speeder bike pack, I haven't really paid full price for any vehicle. My B-Wing, green A-Wing, and Skiff were all bought on clearance. The Falcon and a TIE are on my want list, but I'll wait for now.

shammykenobi
08-18-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm 23 on monday and I'm really feeling like I've spent far too much time and money on these things instead of more normal activities, interests and responsibilities expected of someone my age.

Just cause you're 23 doesn't mean you have go grow up!!!! You can be resposible and all of that other stuff and still enjoy star wars...I'm 31 and I've been collecting since '99 and during that time I've owned and operated 2 businesses and went to college...I know it kinda sucks when people your age or older find out that you collect and look down on you because of it, but those aren't the kinda people you wanna be around anyway.

Devo
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not talking about cutting it out completely just a reduction - be more choosey about what figures and repainted vehicles I buy - stop looking at pictures of other peoples collections and feeling as though I have to match theirs. I need more of a social life, could do with getting a girlfriend for one thing. And theres other things I want to spend money on - I had braces on my teeth about 5 years ago but they've overcrowded again, obviously I didn't take seriously that you need to wear those retainers, so I want to get them redone - but pay for it myself this time.

Everyone knows I collect toys and I don't get any condescension for it - its not something that embarrasses me anymore. So its not what other people are saying to me at all. I just know myself, I know how stuck in my ways I am, that if I have the attitude that 'I have plenty of time' I'll just keep putting important things off.

Oh and to be on-topic - A change in my collecting habits came about 2 years ago when I finally decided carded collecting wasn't for me - and opened every last figure I had. It was a fantastic few days.

shammykenobi
08-19-2005, 03:42 PM
o.k devo I get what you're saying...I quit collecting for the same reasons around 94 or so...before the new stuff even came out...I used to collect all the comics and novels and had all the original toys from when I was a kid...but it kinda took over my life, so i had to put it down for a bit...it can be like that with anything though...same thing happened with music when I started playing the guitar...good luck to you!!!!

jaxx
08-19-2005, 06:14 PM
still...
despirately...
searching...
for...
the...
light!

I can't kick this "completist" thing. I told myself before the ROTS line came out that I was only going to get the figures that looked the coolest, or had the best rolls in the movies. I even had a list of the exact ones I was going to get on Midnight Madness. I was just tired of all of the repacks, and buying 5 of the EXACT SAME FIGURE just because it was in a new package. Yeah... whatever! As soon as those damn doors opened up to TRU during MM, I found myself simply grabbing what ever figure fell in front of me. I figured that I would just get as many as I could get my hands on now, and then go towards the back, sort through them, and keep what was on my list. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Somehow, I got every figure through #40 (except the RED/Blue Royal Guard, and # 33-35). I just saw all of these wonderful, new toys with new sculpts, and new packaging... I just had to keep them all. From that point on, I just felt that I couldn't leave this ROTS collection incomplete. So, now I'm back at square one... right where I was before April 2nd hit. I'm telling myself that as soon as I complete this collection... I'm done. I have to keep myself away from the toy department/aisle and toy stores... I just know that I'm going to go to TRU for a game, and I'll wander by the S.W. aisle... I just know that as soon as I see some never before made figures that I want from the new line, the addiction will begin again.
I'm a sick sick man... I need S.W.A. (Star Wars Annonymous)

Bobby Fett
08-19-2005, 07:09 PM
I haven't been a completist since about 1998. I do collect variations and I have a list that I stick to religiously. Everything I collect is on display. :pleased:

However, I do have about half a garage full of stuff that well meaning family and friends have given me over the years. :rolleyes:

Devo
08-19-2005, 09:10 PM
o.k devo I get what you're saying...I quit collecting for the same reasons around 94 or so...before the new stuff even came out...I used to collect all the comics and novels and had all the original toys from when I was a kid...but it kinda took over my life, so i had to put it down for a bit...it can be like that with anything though...same thing happened with music when I started playing the guitar...good luck to you!!!!

Thanks. Insert Han quote: 'you're gonna need it'. D'you know what would be a great help to me (and to Jaxx by the looks of it :p )? If the line died - as some pessimistically predict it will. I've been here before though - about midway through the Saga line when I wasn't finding anything at retail I thought of calling it quits altogether and even posted on these forums voicing my intentions. Obviously that hardline attitude failed outright and was even followed by a huge collecting spurt on my part which I'm probably still in. :rolleyes:

And Jaxx - search your feelings - you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you, let go of your completism!! :D (apologies if anyone has that paraphrase copyrighted)

I too approached the ROTS line with certain criteria in mind. Avoid blatantly crap figures, wait for good versions of Obi-wan and Anakin, Buy clones, jedis and wookies. I must admit I have slipped up occasionally and bought some items I told myself I wouldn't just because there was nothing new in. Also I've noticed how very crap the wookie figures seem to be and wish I hadn't started with them because I now feel compelled to continue buying them - this is the kind of thing I want to expunge forever from my collecting habits. Its tough.