PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars References

DarkArtist
08-17-2005, 11:36 AM
I not sure if this thread has already been posted elsewhere but i thought it was kind of funny so I thought I would mention it. Last night while watching Bruce Campbell vs the Army of Darkness I noticed that at one point in the movie he has to speak a ritual saying in order to collect the book of the dead.
The words are Klaatu, Barada, Nikto> I never would have expected a Star Wars reference like that.

shammykenobi
08-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Actually that's not technically a star wars reference...as a matter of fact the use of these alien names was a reference in star wars to another sci-fi movie, "The day the earth stood still"...the first words spoken by the aliens when they got off their ships was, "klaatu, barada, nikto"...and there's all kinds of other things in star wars that reference other sci-fi or different genres...like I read once that the name weequay was some kind of variation on a name from a character in "Moby Dick"...and also the name Tattooine is actually the name of a town in Tunisia...you can find it on a map...there's a bunch more but I can't really remember them right now...

I could be wrong about 'klaatu, barada, nikto' being from war of the worlds...it might be from another film...if i'm wrong someone correct me.

El Chuxter
08-17-2005, 01:13 PM
It's from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" originally. There's a thread under the Classic Forum called Jabba's Skiff Guards (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=251) which is full of possible origins for Star Wars terms, many by the very busy Mr -Cam Jos. (He decided the "Bel" was getting between his fans and him. :D)

2-1B
08-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Shammy, the Moby Dick reference was to Queequeg. :)

Kidhuman
08-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Klatuu, Nikto and Barada are also mentioned in Duke Nukem: Time to Kill in that chanting tone of voice.

CaptainSolo1138
08-18-2005, 07:50 AM
(He decided the "Bel" was getting between his fans and him. :D)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Some of my favorite "Star Wars" references come from "Family Guy". Stewie in the "ESB" dining hall scene and Peter's life being turned around by a Lando Calrissean glass are a couple of my favorites, but the best is when Peter has the three birds in his beard and sees them as his "children", at which point Chris and Stewie's heads pop onto two of them and then, after some hard thinking, Boba Fett's helmet pops onto the third. "Sweeeeeet!"

shammykenobi
08-18-2005, 08:37 AM
yeah queequeeg...I was gonna say that but thought that if i was wrong that i would sound really stupid...another great star wars episode was on "That 70's show"...the one where Billy Dee Williams played a priest that was counseling Donna and Eric because Donna was concerned because all Eric ever talked about was star wars...and then Billy Dee was like, "I love star wars too"...anyway, it was a really funny episode...one of the best for star wars references and cameo.

Rebo's_Guitarist
08-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Anyone see the episode of Just Shoot Me with Mark Hamill? Elliot and Finch spotted him in a restuarant and they started having a lightsaber fight with breadsticks making the noises. Later Mark was alone in his hotel room blow-drying his hair and all of a sudden starts shooting at invisible stormtroopers with his hair dryer like in ANH and then grabs his hand and yells "Nooooo". It was awesome.

JimJamBonds
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
For my money's worth I enjoy all the Star Wars references that can be found in the Simpsons. There are just tons of 'em.

Kidhuman
08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
DOnt forget abnout that 70's Show references. Also the ones that were in Drawn TOgether were damn hilarious

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
For my money's worth I enjoy all the Star Wars references that can be found in the Simpsons. There are just tons of 'em.I like the subtle ones best. Like the Tony Curtis episode... ;)

JimJamBonds
09-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Also the ones that were in Drawn TOgether were damn hilarious

You mean like.... the.... ahhhh "lightsaber" from last year. ;)

TeeEye7
06-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Last night I worked a burglary at a business (the bad guys tunneled through the roof and then fell through the ceiling....it must have been Lanny).

The business name was: Chuta's (no kidding!)

I wish I could buy a vowel! :yes: