PDA

View Full Version : What's up with releasing EEs first?

echo5
08-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm trying to figure out why MR is starting a trend of releasing Elite Editions first, and then (I'm making an assumption here)... eventually releasing Limited Editions.

We saw this with Luke Skywalker's ANH Lightsaber hilt and then now Obi-Wan Kenobi's TPM saber.

EEs are significantly more expensive and not really movie accurate (See Luke's ROTJ hilt). I guess it's a preference thing?

I was floored when I heard that Luke's EE ANH hilt sold out in 14 minutes and there were 1000 of them. I'm sure that Obi-Wan's TPM hilt will sell out even faster (if you can believe that).

Anyone have thoughts on this? Just trying to figure out the EE draw....

Jayspawn
08-18-2005, 01:19 AM
The Luke ANH was a different story. They made his saber from ESB first a few years ago as an LE. So rather than do a whole run of LEs for Luke's ANH saber they just made a few EEs. Which I think was the way to go.

For the Obi-Wan EE, they released his AOTC lightsaber years ago as an LE and now making an EE from TPM. The difference in the saber is not much, but its worth a run to make the other version I suppose. Just technicalities.

nash
08-19-2005, 03:25 AM
I think Jayspawn hit it on the money.

The reason MR made the Luke ANH EE and the upcomming Obi TPM EE is because they are probably NOT planning to do a regular LE version of those. People can speculate all they want about MR making the LE counterparts in the future but Its just not logical and would **** a hell of alot of people off if they did make LE's of those sabers. I say if you want those two sabers, save up and buy the EE coz thats the only way youre going to get it. Unless you build your own of course.

To be honest, the Luke ANH EE doesnt look any less screen accurate to me. and I doubt that the Obi TPM EE will either because for one it doesnt have the chrome finish anyway, so the stainless steel will fit perfectly.

I personally would choose the EE version over the LE anyday. #1- WAY smaller production run. and #2- better materials used.

Jedi_Mike
08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
The screen accurate issue has been taken care of to a degree. The thing that really made the Luke ROTJ EE "inaccurate" was the emitter crystal, everything was the same except for using upgraded materials. The Luke ANH EE and the Obi-Wan TPM EE will both not feature the emitter crystal. The Luke ANH EE looks exactly like the Graflex only made of stainless steel. More expensive yes, but nice nonetheless. There is a pretty good chance that they won't offer these two newer offering in LE format not only because they have close LE counterparts but because it helps sell the EE line, if you can only get that prop in EE then it makes it that much more desirable.

echo5
08-19-2005, 03:56 PM
All these answers make sense to me. Thanks.

I have a very hard time believing that MR will not produce LEs of Luke's ANH and Obi-Wan TPM. The reason I say this is because these are two of the MOST popular and loved lightsabers in the Star Wars saga. EEs are SO limited that it makes it very difficult (dare I say impossible) for fans to obtain one. Especially since Luke ANH EE sold out in 14 minutes. I think this would upset fans even more if they did not go back and release an LE version... not to mention it would make good business sense for MR.

nash
08-19-2005, 10:04 PM
I disagree. Buying the Luke ANH EE was my first ever full size saber, and I got one just fine, and within the first 300 to boot.

I just made time in my schedule to purchase it the minute it was released and I had no problem getting one for myself. If you are talking about not having that kind of time and having to get one at a later time of day, its still not impossible, however you will indeed pay a premium for it from the secondary market. It all boils down to priority, if the Obi TPM EE is a priority for you to get, then you will make the time to order one the minute it is released just like the rest of us.

echo5
08-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Nash, you mentioned that EE owners would get angry if MR decided to create LE versions of Luke's ANH or Obi-Wan's TPM.

Why?

Certainly all customers who purchased the Luke ANH EE know that there is a strong possibility that an LE would be produced in the future... right?

Do you remember when MR released Luke ROTJ EE hilt some time ago? I believe that many collectors were very upset because they felt cheated and that MR simply "re-released" the same product, but with an unexpected twist.

Or how about when MR released a Signiture Edition AT-AT a few months after selling out if the LE. There was certainly a lot of angry chatter on the forums.

I guess my point is that active and devoted customers have come realize that MR will more than likely release an LE / EE companion replicas to appease as many collectors as possible.

Well, that's just my opinion... only time will tell on what MR will do next. Thanks to all for the responses.

nash
08-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I really dont know why. I myself would not care if they released an LE of the Luke ANH. i know i have a more limited and better quality version. I was just stating the general atmosphere of this topic as ive seen and noticed on the forum boards by countless other people. Because this topic has been discussed and trampled over countless amounts of times already.

lukespop
08-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I missed out on the Luke ANH EE so I e-mail JD at the Saber Vault to see if he could help me. He e-mailed me back and said he could not help, but not to worry because MR is going to release a LE of the Luke ANH in 2006. I bought an EE on ebay anyway just because I didn't want to settle for the LE. It was just the one saber that I thought was special because it was the first ever seen in the Star Wars movies. Just my opinion

dgauci5
08-21-2005, 05:02 PM
I think Jayspawn hit it on the money.

The reason MR made the Luke ANH EE and the upcomming Obi TPM EE is because they are probably NOT planning to do a regular LE version of those. People can speculate all they want about MR making the LE counterparts in the future but Its just not logical and would **** a hell of alot of people off if they did make LE's of those sabers. I say if you want those two sabers, save up and buy the EE coz thats the only way youre going to get it. Unless you build your own of course.

It really shouldn't matter to the EE owners if LE versions are made, they will be exactly the same sabers, made from inferior materials and unlimited edition. The EE versions will always be the best version to own of both of these.

Another reason for MR not making an LE version of the ANH is because it is so easy to get a graflex conversion which is also an unlimited edition and cheaper. This is probably why they went straight to a limited EE version to sell them.

Jedi_Mike
09-11-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't see MR making LE versions of the upcoming EEs. I think they caught a lot of crap for listing an ROTJ EE even though of the upgraded materials and differences. Besides, From MR's standpoint, the Anakin ROTS and Luke ESB already take up the "look" of the lightsaber and only completists and die hards would be buying it. Same goes with the Obi-Wan TPM, average general public wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That's why they go the EE route in order to give the select few who want it a chance to get it. And IF by some twist of fate they did come out with an LE I wouldn't be upset because their LEs are unlimited releases with many valuing less than purchasing price BUT the EEs have been steadily raising due to such small allocations....

BEW
10-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I missed out on the Luke ANH EE so I e-mail JD at the Saber Vault to see if he could help me. He e-mailed me back and said he could not help, but not to worry because MR is going to release a LE of the Luke ANH in 2006. I bought an EE on ebay anyway just because I didn't want to settle for the LE. It was just the one saber that I thought was special because it was the first ever seen in the Star Wars movies. Just my opinion

Actually Lukespop...I thought the same way you did but when I watched A New Hope for the 800th time the other night I saw that we actually see Darth Vader's lightsaber swinging from his belt in the very beginning of the movie. So in actuality his is the very first lightsaber one ever sees!

Jedi_Mike
10-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I'd be very surprised at this point if MR decided to release an LE of the EE releases. With the Obi-Wan, it was active enough for everyone who wanted one to get one. They handled the scalper threat and I think its the last we'll see of this Phantom Menace lightsaber.

Jayspawn
10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
I dought Master Replicas would release any LE of and EE release. True, the number of lightsabers to make now are running low, but I dont think they would.

Jedi_Mike
10-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Steve D and Amy from MR eluded to the fact that 2 more Lightsabers are up for the Elite treatment but no more information other than the information that no LE will looked at for EE treatment unless the EE can look distinguishably different than its counterpart. Also that the ROTJ Vader is currently on the drawing board as an LE and they've been really dodgy on what format the Qui-Gon Jinn TPM would be released as.

dgauci5
10-08-2005, 02:30 AM
the information that no LE will looked at for EE treatment unless the EE can look distinguishably different than its counterpart.

Which taken to it's logical extension pretty much puts the lid on the talk of seeing a Mace Windu EE as well as a Luke ANH LE. There would not be much of a distinguishable difference in the appearances of these sabers from their existing versions.

Jayspawn
10-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm betting that they'll do a Mace Windu EE from ROTS.

BEW
10-08-2005, 11:53 PM
or even a Count Dooku

I am really really surprised that from all of the popular characters that they did not do a Grievous blaster from ROTS...I thought that would be a for sure hit like the popularity of the Stormtrooper blaster! Oh well...I will wait for my Aayla Secura SE saber which I just found out yesterday that MR would never do after the disappointing sales of the Lea blaster :( They said no more female weapons.

Jayspawn
10-09-2005, 12:16 AM
It would be cool to see, but Aayla or any other non-main Jedi replicas would sell poorly. Especially since we never actually see her lightsaber aside from her holding it -not to mention what it even looks like. Good move by MR.

Leia only used her blaster one that we see. I was supprised MR even made it since she uses a few other blasters throughout the trilogy.

BEW
10-09-2005, 12:26 AM
I have to disagree...instead of making 50 Vader and 50 Luke sabers let them vary it up a little with some obscure artifacts.

here is her saber:

http://www.jedicruces.cl/jedi/images/aayla_foto.jpg

Jayspawn
10-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the pic BEW, hopefully we'll get more pictures like that in the upcoming book, Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels.

Although I really like Aayla Secura and Master Replicas. I dought I'd by her lightsaber or any other non-main jedi.

dgauci5
10-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm betting that they'll do a Mace Windu EE from ROTS.

The only difference from the existing AOTC LE and SE would be the name ROTS on the plaque. That is why they won't do one.

Jayspawn
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes that would basically be the only difference, but they could get away with it.

BEW
10-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Why not? They did it with the Yoda...it is the same as last time plus a few scratches to go with it! I say an elite of Windu or Dooku is called for! Watch the ROTJ Vader will probably end up being the Elite.

dgauci5
10-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Why not? They did it with the Yoda...it is the same as last time plus a few scratches to go with it! I say an elite of Windu or Dooku is called for!

The Yoda ROTS and Yoda AOTC look completely different from each other, (have you actually seen them?) I think the Yoda ROTS is a huge improvement over the AOTC AFBB version.

The elite Windu has already been released, it was the very first and it was called the Mace Windu AOTC SE. It has already been released with upgraded materials which is why they won't do it again. The same goes for the Dooku, not much you can do to make it more elite looking, it's already all chrome and shiny. Neither will ever happen again.

Jayspawn
10-10-2005, 11:43 AM
The Mace Windu AOTC lightsaber was only a Limited Edition. They could get away with a battle damaged ROTS version.

The Yoda lightsabers dont look too different.

BEW
10-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks Jayspawn...Yoda there is not much difference at all

The SE Mace is not the same thing as an Elite Edition either

dgauci5
10-11-2005, 12:02 AM
The Mace Windu AOTC lightsaber was only a Limited Edition. They could get away with a battle damaged ROTS version.

The Yoda lightsabers dont look too different.

We didn't see a battle damaged version of the Windu ROTS on-screen so it would not be an accurate prop replica from ROTS. Since most people asking for a ROTS Windu are just looking for a less expensive rehash of the AOTC, would they purchase a saber that is severely banged up instead?

If you don't think the Yoda lightsabers look very different then you haven't seen them. Objectively they look very different to even a casual viewer.

nash
10-11-2005, 04:14 AM
I think what they are trying to say is that the overall design and shape of both Yoda's are very similar if not same. Just as the Obi TPM and AOTC "designs" are simmilar. Of course the finishing on both examples are drastically different. But if that be the case, who's to say that a battle damaged Mace ROTS would be 100% out of the picture. If I was paying attention enough, I doubt you could see the damage on Yoda's saber in ROTS either, but they still took the time and resources to produce it.

BEW
10-11-2005, 05:57 AM
I am not saying that the Windu has to be battle damaged. Just produce one and slap a ROTS plaque on it. After all that is kind of how the Vader saber is. Where in the movie do you ever see the ROTS Vader saber? If I am missing it please let me know!

dgauci5
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
who's to say that a battle damaged Mace ROTS would be 100% out of the picture.

Because as the post above states no one would buy it. They are just looking for a pristine re-hash of a sold out limited edition collectible. Apparently those asking for a re-hash don't understand the meaning of the term "Limited Edition."

A better analogy for the Yoda would be the Obi-Wan ANH AFBB and Obi-Wan ANH LE. Exactly the same saber design in every way, while completely different sabers in appearance. By the same token if MR wanted to create a weathered Mace great by me, but don't fool yourself as stated already - no one would want to buy one and MR knows that too.

nash
10-12-2005, 04:02 AM
Because as the post above states no one would buy it. They are just looking for a pristine re-hash of a sold out limited edition collectible. Apparently those asking for a re-hash don't understand the meaning of the term "Limited Edition."

A better analogy for the Yoda would be the Obi-Wan ANH AFBB and Obi-Wan ANH LE. Exactly the same saber design in every way, while completely different sabers in appearance. By the same token if MR wanted to create a weathered Mace great by me, but don't fool yourself as stated already - no one would want to buy one and MR knows that too.

No one would buy it? How can you just assume that? Steve from MR said that every prop forum combined only makes up about 5% of their total customer base. So if 2 people on this one forum say they wouldnt buy it, how can you assume "No one" would either?

I for one would definitely "Buy It"

dgauci5
10-12-2005, 09:24 AM
The only people advocating for a re-release are those who want a blatant rehash. If anyone wants a Mace Windu LE lightsaber as seen in either AOTC or ROTS, (they are exactly the same sabers with no changes), they can get one right now. The reason they don't isn't because they aren't available, it's because they are a limited edition and considered too expensive to purchase.

If you want one what is stopping you from buying one now?? The real point of this current thread. (There is one on eBay right now.)

(Steve from MR has also said they have no plans to re-release the Mace saber because there is no difference. He also just recently said the same about the Dooku saber, because there is not enough difference.)

BEW
10-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I kind of disagree with you there but oh well...that is what forums are for...we'll see down the road whether or not a Dooku or a Mace will ever be made again...only time will tell...for now let's enjoy what we have...and if you wanted to buy me a Mace LE for Christmas you would be my best pal :)

Jedi_Mike
11-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Steve D said flat out that the next EE will not be the Mace Windu ROTS or any form of the Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus lightsaber. All signs are point for the next EE to be a rehash of a current LE. My bet is leaning towards the Darth Vader ANH. Why? Because the original has the incorrect number of grips and its one of the first offered by MR so it'd have a good distance from the original to be made.