PDA

View Full Version : Case assortments

NEMISIS
08-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Are Case assortments boxes shipped by Hasbro containing certain figures? Is this correct? I see lots of posts about people sifting through cases before they hit shelves, how is this possible?

trandoshan666
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
I "sift" through the boxes from time to time (when I can find some) around 11 p.m. at Wal-Mart right around the time of the shift changes. I usually look at the assortments on the side of the boxes which are stacked on pallets full of toys and ask an employee to open them for me. I can only remember being turned away once. I've encountered quite a few other people doing the same thing and not only for Star Wars stuff so I think it's a pretty common practice.

bobafrett
08-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm guilty of this also. I mean if you want the figures, and you find the cases on a pallet, I think they are fair to go through them. Otherwise, I work at 7 am. so I can't get to most of the stores, the Targets, the TRU's, even the other Wal-Marts. If I didn't do that, I wouldn't have much of a collection.

Kidhuman
08-21-2005, 11:31 PM
I always rip cases open on the pallet if I need something from that asst. One time an employee said I am not allowed to do that. I answered her with a snide "They dont sell in the box lady" and walked off to purchase them.

NEMISIS
08-21-2005, 11:47 PM
...I guess my point then is how do you manage to get to the backs of the stores? I'm guessing stores wouldn't encourage this type of behaviour.

Kidhuman
08-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Its when they have them out for overnight stock. Go into a 24 hour WM around 11pm and they should be out on pallets then. Sift through the pallet and back.

ndjedi
08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I thought everyone did this already? LOL I have been opeing up SW figure boxes at Wal-Mart for years now, of course late at night (12-3 AM) when all the pallets of toys are out and waiting to be opened and stocked before 7 am. I don't care who is around me, employees or customers. If its a new case assortment, esp one that says SW E3 Basic Figure, then ill open it.

NEMISIS
08-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Australia dosen't have 24/7 operating hours like the US I suppose.

DarthQuack
08-22-2005, 12:24 AM
I love the 24/7 Wal-Marts since I work til midnight it's always fun to drive a little farther from home to check out the shelves, or pallets.

bobafrett
08-22-2005, 05:27 PM

I used to go to the stores around me around 9 pm, and they would be dragging the freight out on pallets, and lining it up between stackbases. The store closes at 10, so I had an hour to "shop" the toy pallets. I got some good finds that way. Lately though, the one Wal-Mart I was doing this at, doesn't bring the freight out early anymore, I wonder if it was because it just looked bad, and costumers were unable to get around without having to run to the end of an isle.

darth cynik
08-22-2005, 10:42 PM

And if ya live in a crappy part of the US ya won't find any 24 hour stores either. The Walmart here is open from 7am-10pm and that's year-round... and it's very rare that I can get over there, busy life.

Last year I lived elsewhere and in that city were two 24-hour Super WMs... I opened many a case of GIJoes to go through never found much. Too bad I wasn't back into SW collecting then. I looked at some of the new stuff and was surprised by some of it, but I was too stupid and kinda-broke to buy any of it (I got to get very few GIJoes too).

24-hour stores are a true blessing to the toy collector.

X13VADER
08-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Not Too Sure How I Feel About You People Who Sift Through Everything. I Mean I Want Them Also But For You To Rip Open Boxes Because They Are Not Mean To Sold In Boxes Is Bull. No Wonder Employees Dont Want To Help. They Might Lose A Hand Or Something. Lets Not Stop There. Why Dont We Unload The Trucks Ourselves. How About Stopping Them In The Parking Lot And Sift Through There Stuff.why Dont We Sit Outside There Warehouses And Wait For Them. The Stores Have A Resposibility To Set Them Out For Us To Purchase. And Have People Dig Through Skids And Ripping Everything Apart Gives Collectors A Bad Name. I Have No Problem Asking Them To Go Thru The Boxes.

jaxx
08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Y'know... I kind of feel the same way that you do, X13VADER... to some extent.

The only 24 hour store around me is Meijer's. I get real frustrated because the store never has anything new out. The employees tell me that it's because people come in and wait around from 11PM to 2AM for them to take merchandice out from the back. As soon as it hits the floor, the people rip right into the boxes. They don't ask for help from the employees, and they don't even wait for the pallet to quit moving some of the time. I guess you gotta get "first dibs" and all:rolleyes: . The employees tell me that they DO NOT like this. The employees also will NEVER help me. They won't tell me if they have anything in stock, when they will restock, or anything. I've asked them why, and it's because they are so jaded by those people who wait around for the pallets, that they assume ALL STAR WARS COLLECTORS ARE ALIKE!!! They've even started to put out merchandice at random times, in various quantities... just to throw off the scalpers and collectors. This is what the employees/managers are telling me.
Basically, it does give the Star Wars collecting community a bad name.
But I have to say this: we all conform and adapt to our environment. So, if the only way for you to find something is to rip open a box and take out what you want before anybody else can have a fair shot at it, then that's what you'll have to do. I'm getting soooooooooooo frustrated with not being able to find anything new, that I might have resort to that as well. I honestly have to say that if i saw a nice, new, unopened box of Star Wars figures sitting on a pallet or shelf, I don't know if I could pass up the opportunity to get that thing opened up. :yes: I'd have to conform to my environment. The only difference is that I would feel the need to ask an employee to open it for me... I wouldn't want to get in trouble, y'know.

bobafrett
08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
The reason I do it, is because of the scalpers. I can't get to the stores like I said in the morning because I work 5 days a week, and on the days I am off, I have to make sure my son gets off to school. If I wait until 3:30 on my way between jobs, I would be left with about half of my collection, and no variants.

plasticfetish
08-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Not Too Sure How I Feel About You People Who Sift Through Everything.I'll tell you how I feel... I couldn't care less. If Wal*Mart (in particular) wants to use the isles of their sales floor as a stock room, then they'd better get used to people eyeing and maybe even sorting through boxes.

I wandered over to my local W*M for some supplies tonight, and the toy ("action figure") isle was full -- from one end to the other, six feet high with about nine inches of walk space on either side -- with wrapped up pallets of toys.

A) It's a F'ing hazard to leave that much boxed merchandise out on the sales floor in a section that's supposed to be a "kid section." ("Child crushed by cases of Bratz dolls... news at seven!")

B) It's completely lazy on the part of Wal*Mart to leave this much c*** out, when it should either be in a stockroom, still on the truck, or heaven forbid... on the shelves.

So, if I see a case of anything that I want to look through out on the floor, I'll ask the nearest associate, and if they say it's OK then I'll dig through the case. If a case is already open... then I'm going to look through it.

God knows I've cleaned up the Star Wars section enough times on my own when I was there looking for something, (hanging fallen figures back up on the pegs and fixing toppled boxes) that I'm due the odd peek into a case once in a while.