PDA

View Full Version : Hbo: Rome

Ji'dai
08-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Rampant corruption and opulent decadence threaten to destabilize the very principles on which the Republic are founded. It's mightiest warrior has waged a fierce campaign to subdue and pacify the outer rim territories of the sprawling civilization. Now he returns to the core province - and is considered a threat to the wealthy aristocracy and their precarious hold over power.

Sound familiar? Well, it's not Revenge of the Sith - it's ROME, HBO's new "mega-series" that debuts this Sunday, August 28. Produced in partnership with the BBC (the first product of this union was Band of Brothers), ROME is set in 52 B.C. when Julius Caesar is ready to return home after victory in Gaul (France). The wealthy nobility fear him as a threat to their influence over the government and their luxurious way of life.

The production values look to be pretty high on this series, but don't expect to see all polished marble and gleaming city streets. It'll have that, but this ROME also shows the gritty, lived-in look that you'd expect in a 400-year old city. There'll be slaves, crucifixions, weird pagan rituals & animal sacrifices, lots of sex & nudity, and plenty of political schennigans abound, so it looks very interesting :yes:

JimJamBonds
08-23-2005, 09:46 AM
I've seen some comercials for this and it looks pretty good, my one issue is how historical it will it be? It could lose that focus over time.

DarthQuack
08-23-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm really looking forward to this especially since Six Feet Under is over with and I need another HBO show fix.:whip:

vader68
08-23-2005, 11:50 AM
I can't wait, I have my tivo already set up.:D It looks pretty good from the clips they have shown so far. excessive violence and sex, who could ask for more.

2-1B
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm looking forward to it, they sure are promoting the hell out of it.

On the negative side though, I'm still salty about Carnivale being cancelled, it cost them way too much money to produce it for the low ratings it got . . . so if Rome doesn't bring in the big numbers they are pushing for, will it be axed after 2 seasons as well ? I wonder what the budget is for this programme.

JimJamBonds
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Ahh could ya tape it for me Caesar? ;)

Hellboy
08-23-2005, 04:55 PM
On the negative side though, I'm still salty about Carnivale being cancelled

You and me both Caesar. :mad: I think the problem with this show was that not enough people gave it a chance due to quite a few critics bashing it. Personally though I haven't talked with anyone who watched the series in it's entirety that didn't absolutely love it. I feel HBO at the very least owes the fans a 2hr movie/finale since season 2 was obviously left open ended because it was unknown at that point whether the series would get picked up for a third season. :hurt:

Series creator Dan Knauf stated it best when he said in an interview that "Nobody likes it when you're reading a book and you're halfway through it and somebody snatches it away from you."

Here is an excerpt from an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette back in July that I found interesting but only fueled my irritation with HBO's decision.
"Never have we gotten besieged the way we have been besieged by "Carnivale" fans for deciding to not go on with the third season of that show," said HBO chairman and CEO Chris Albrecht. "Literally, 50,000 e-mails over a weekend, and I don't mean the first weekend. It is so over the top, not just in terms of the number, but in terms of things that they say and threaten."

Albrecht said if the series hadn't cost about $4 million per episode, it would have returned.

"If 'Carnivale' was a $2 million-an-hour show, we'd keep going with it," he said.

Sorry, I know this isn't the Carnivale thread but I had to get that off my chest, rant over. :tired:

As far as Rome goes I'll check it out, but to be honest I'm a bit tired of the epic sword and sandle format. I'd much rather be watching the next season of The Sopranos or Deadwood this Fall. :neutral:

UKWildcat
08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Sorry, I know this isn't the Carnivale thread but I had to get that off my chest, rant over. :tired:

Thank you for going on a rant about the cancellation. If you didn't, I would have. Carnivale was an oustanding show and I'm ticked it didn't get renewed. Although I heard they "may" bring it back, evidentally a lot of people did some serious complaining about its cancellation. I know TVGuide gave it a Jeers, the cancellation, saying that it was "like TV" to cancel such a great show, when their motto is "its not TV, its HBO." But like you said, they better bring the 3rd season back, or do a special of some sort to atleast wrap up the show. I guess that was a mini-rant, sorry. :D

As far as Rome goes I'll check it out, but to be honest I'm a bit tired of the epic sword and sandle format. I'd much rather be watching the next season of The Sopranos or Deadwood this Fall. :neutral:

I'll agree with you here, on The Sopranos. I never did get into Deadwood, though a lot of people say I'm missing out.

I will definitely give this Rome a shot, looks like it could/should be good. :thumbsup:

2-1B
08-24-2005, 12:25 AM
You're definitely missing out on Deadwood if you also like The Sopranos. :)

Hellboy I recently met Tim DeKay (Jonesy) and Adrienne Barbeau (Ruthie) at a convention and Tim told me their is "talk" of doing a 2 hour wrapup movie but who knows about that . . . he pointed out that it might be tough to pull everybody back together on schedule after the show was cancelled and they all went on to other gigs. I'm crossing my fingers on that one !

************Spoiler on Carnivale finale*********

I went up to Tim DeKay and told him I was ****ed about what they did to his great show, and that it can't end with Jonesy getting shot and he told me "I don't think it would have." ;) And yes he winked, just like that - his face turned yellow and he winked. ;) :crazed:
But yeah, I pretty much imagine that Jonesy isn't dead, he'll either be healed (again) or he was wearing some sort of undershield. lol

JimJam, yes I will tape Rome for you. There, back on track. :grin:

Ji'dai
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I wasn't aware Carnivale had been cancelled. I was a loyal viewer since episode one too. I hope they do come back and wrap up the loose ends. I'm afraid it'll end up like another Twin Peaks. I like the Sopranos too but the show is wearing thin. Plus it takes so long to get the next season on the air. Lots of people were ****ed since they subscribed to HBO to see this Sopranos program and there's nothing but re-runs on for a year or two.

Looks like HBO has a good thing going with these period dramas. Band of Brothers, Carnival, Deadwood, and now Rome. The American Civil War would a popular time period for another series too.

2-1B
08-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Now they announced another round of 8 episodes of The Sopranos for January 2007 so I guess that's going to be the bonus (shortened) 7th season some of us have been hoping for ? :grin: I disagree that it's wearing thin, season 5 was awesome ! ! !

JimJamBonds
08-24-2005, 12:47 PM
So if season 7 will be in Jan of '07 when will seaon 6 be? Isn't that an unusually fast turnaround for the Sopranos?

2-1B
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
We're looking at somewhere around Spring of 2006 for season 6 . . . it was supposed to be January 2006 but that got moved back.

I'm sure season 7 will get delayed, too. But for now that's the news.

Hellboy
08-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Caesar thats great news regarding Carnivale. Sure it might not come to be but some hope is better than none. :pleased:

As far as I'm concerned The Sopranos has remained solid all the way through. It dipped a bit during the fourth season for some but I still enjoyed it immensely and the fifth season was fantastic. I'm really looking forward to Season 6 this Spring. :thumbsup:

2-1B
08-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Not trying to beat a dead horse here because I've said this before, but I think Season 4 was solid and on par with the rest of the series. The reason I bring it up is because a friend at work is watching for the first time, borrowing all my DVDs and blowing through them in very respectable time. Anyway she's now on season 4 and some of the stuff in there is her absolute favorite. So I felt delighted to hear such good reviews from her on S4. :crazed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Rampant corruption and opulent decadence threaten to destabilize the very principles on which the Republic are founded.

Sound familiar? Well, it's not Revenge of the Sith - it's ROME,

Was anyone else thinking of the good ol' U.S.A. when they read the first sentence? Not that we've reached the point of the old Roman Republic yet but we are getting closer.

I do look forward to watching this series, I do know a little bit about Roman History -- and the battle that was waged between Caesar who wanted to be the sole leader and Pompey--the defender of the Republic. The Roman people didn't seem to mind that they were losing their link to democracy--particularly since Caesar was kind to the people in terms of giving them what they want. It'll make for an interesting series.

Hellboy
08-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Not trying to beat a dead horse here

No pun intended I'm sure. ;)

UKWildcat
08-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Is this turning into a Sopranos thread? lol

It sounds like they are basically doing the exact same thing that they did with Sex and the City (a show I never watched), where they just throw in some extra episodes and call it all one big season but just spilt into two different parts. Either way, I'm not complaining... The more Sopranos the better.

Someone might as well go ahead and start a Sopranos thread! :D

2-1B
08-25-2005, 11:59 PM
No pun intended I'm sure. ;)

No ! Actually, no ! I wasn't even thinking of it but since you mentioned it, that's hilarious ! (seriously, I wasn't thinking of Pie Oh My ! ! ! :( ).

Someone might as well go ahead and start a Sopranos thread!

Believe me, we already have a few ! lol

2-1B
08-29-2005, 12:03 AM
I certainly enjoyed the first episode of Rome so here's to hoping HBO has another quality show on their hands ! :thumbsup:

The chief of the Gauls looked like Rob Zombie to me. lol

I like how Caesar's niece Atia paid for that white stallion. lol lol

I noticed Lindsay Duncan's name in the cast, she did the voice of TC-14 in TPM and she plays Servilia in this show (she's the one whom Caesar wrote to, the lady ticked off that he used the word "affection" and not "love"). :)

Slicker
08-29-2005, 01:38 AM
I didn't watch this tonight but while I was watching a DVD the cat stepped on the remote and it so happened the TV was on HBO and it flipped over to that and all I saw was a massive set of milk bladders. Those were very nice indeed.:thumbsup: :yes:

Ji'dai
08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
I enjoyed the first ep, it was a nice introduction to all the main characters. Hopefully we'll see more of Atia of the Julii (although we pretty much got an eyeful already :D). Hopefully we'll see much more of Atia..

Did the actor playing Roman Senator Cato remind you guys of anyone? I thought he looked like an older Popeye the Sailor.

General_Grievous
08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
I think I'm gonna watch this on HBO On Demand. It's about time I give another HBO show a chance. I only watch "The Sopranos" from time to time, and those are pretty much only the landmark episodes (like the pilot and the eps where Big P*ssy, Ralphie and Adrianna got whacked). In my opinion, most of the other shows on HBO are either stupid (Entourage) or boring as hell (Six Feet Under. I'm sorry, but I'd have more fun staring at the floor for an hour). I think I may be interested in "Rome", though. I'll watch it tonight and check back later with my opinion on it.

Hellboy
08-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Hard to pass judgement after just one episode but it was a decent premiere. It definitely has the potential to become something cool, I guess we'll see. :neutral:

General_Grievous
08-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Well, just watched it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. A lot of nudity for an HBO show, don't ya think? But I ain't complaining. ;) Anyway, while it holds its own ground pretty good, I doubt it will generate a fan following like other HBO shows Sex and the City or the juggernaut Sopranos. But granted, it's still an alright show. I think I'll stick around for the next few episodes at least.

JimJamBonds
08-30-2005, 10:02 PM
I just read the Ep. 1 abstract looks pretty darn good to me. Wish I had HBO. :yes:

2-1B
08-30-2005, 11:05 PM
A lot of nudity for an HBO show, don't ya think?
Nah, not when compared to Cathouse, Real Sex, and G-String Divas. ;)

General_Grievous
08-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Nah, not when compared to Cathouse, Real Sex, and G-String Divas. ;)

Can't argue with you there.:whip:

megaprime33
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I saw the last 20 mins on sunday, forgot it was on, and didn't really think much of it. Then I caught the reairing and saw the whole thing and thought it was really good. I like the story line so far and the intro into all of the characters. Looks to be a good show.

2-1B
09-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I like how they are setting it up for the dual layered storyline of the 2 common soldiers and the 2 elite politicians.

2-1B
09-04-2005, 01:23 AM
When I bought Curb Your Enthusiasm today, I got a free promo DVD with the first episode of Rome on it. Not a bad marketing ploy.

JimJamBonds
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
When I bought Curb Your Enthusiasm today, I got a free promo DVD with the first episode of Rome on it. Not a bad marketing ploy.

At Best Buy which they didn't have it at Wal Mart... heck they didn't even have the new season of Curb at Wal Mart. Also at Best Buy you get a bobblehead of 'Tommy Boy' if you get the "Holy Schnikes" edition of Tommy Boy which was only a dollar more then at Wally World. :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
jacta alea est!

Good episode tonight. I liked the two soldier's homecomings; and especially Pullo's surgery after a night on the town. I think that surgical technique was trepanning, which has been in use for thousands of years. Vorenus wife is quite a hottie. I wonder what Vorenus will do when he finds his wife has a child with another man :whip:

Atia :love: and her family share an interesting morality :D It's just a different time and culture I guess.

So Caesar has crossed the Rubicon, which is significant since under Roman law, no General may cross this boundary with a standing army - instituted to protect civilian rule and prevent military takeover.

The die is cast.

JimJamBonds
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I know this is a week late but I watched Caesar's promotional copy of episode 1 the other day it was great. Although I'm not sure when I'll be able to see the other espisodes this looks like a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

jjreason
09-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I thought the first episode was "fine". It didn't grab me by the neck right off the bat like Deadwood did, but I'll watch it for as long as my source can provide me with the material. It's likely just me, but I found the "vaguely English" accents a little out of place, I think this show would have come off a lot more authentic if done in the ancient language with english subtitles like The Passion of the Christ.

Being tragically ignorant about religion, I did find the Pagan rituals interesting.

2-1B
09-11-2005, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't mind subtitles, that would be cool too . . . but I didn't mind the English, either. :)

Episode 2 was very good, all sorts of threads opened up with the return of the soldiers so I can't wait to see what happens. Thing is, now with the NFL starting up I won't be watching the first airing of Rome, I'll have to wait for the 11pm West Coat feed on HBO West.

The trepanning scene was disturbing. :D

Kidhuman
09-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I have seen the last couple of Episodes and this show is damn good. I dont know most of the characters names but that one soldier who was gambling is awesome. Slaughtering everyone in the bar like that. I was shocked at hohw graphic the "brain surgery" scene was. A great show that I will buy the seasons when they are on DVD, hopefully I can manage to win a set from HBO when they come to my job.

Ji'dai
09-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I think this show would have come off a lot more authentic if done in the ancient language with english subtitles like The Passion of the Christ. I wouldn't mind if all the dialogue was in Latin with English subtitles. I think that would ultimately hurt ratings though. Viewers might be able to handle one feature-length film in Aramic & Hebrew, but an entire TV series? Latin teachers nationwide would rejoice though ;)

I've noticed that the writers are peppering the dialogue with Latin words that would be recognizable to English speakers - bene (good -"benefit/beneficial"), domina/dominus (mistress/master - "dominate"), etc...

Well, Caeser and his army have entered Rome to find it vacated by Pompey and his supporters. Vorenus has left the 13th Legion, finding Caesar's action against the Republic spiritually unsavory. And Pullo - heh, I think he just goes where the fun is. Seems he has a soft spot though, he went back to help that slave girl tied to the wagon.

Plus Pullo has just become very wealthy after taking possession of that wagon full of treasury gold. I have a feeling that gold is going to get him and Vorenus in a lot of trouble with both political factions.

Kidhuman
09-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Yeah last nights was good. I cant wait until the Legions collide, which will probably end the first season and kick the second one off

Hellboy
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Well just a few episodes in and I'm really enjoying this show.

Titus Pullo is easily my favorite character. Vorenus is pretty cool too but like most of the characters its hard to really like any of them after witnessing the horrible things they're capable of, especially Atia. That woman is something else, talk about cold hearted. :hurt::whip:

Hellboy
09-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Good episode last night but I'm starting to get the feeling that this season will be over before anything major goes down.

I did hear HBO picked up the series for another season but does anybody know how many episodes HBO has in the bag for this season?

JimJamBonds
09-20-2005, 01:11 AM
I bet it ends shortly after "eh tu Bruti" is said. :D

2-1B
09-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about that . . . how long (in the TV series) do you think it will be before Caesar gets clipped and how long after he dies do you think the show will go on ?

Ji'dai
09-20-2005, 10:36 AM
It took Caesar five years to finally subdue the remaining political opposition in his ursupation of the Republic. Pompey and his supporters fled to Greece, where Caesar followed and defeated them. There were other battles in Asia Minor, Egypt, and Spain. I hope we get to see these other lands. Caesar supported Cleopatra's rise to power in Egypt; both Caesar & Marc Anthony were romanticallly linked to her. Caesar pardoned his opponents after defeating them in battle, but Brutus and Cassius later led the assassination conspiracy. So the series could run for a long time before we see Caesar's death.

The last episode was interesting in showing both nobility (Atia's party) and the plebians (Vorenus' party) at play. I thought it was funny that Atia made Octavian eat testicles because he was too effeminate. I can just imagine mothers in Rome: "Now eat your testicles, there are children in Catharge that are starving" :D

I had forgotten that Caesar was an epilectic. That slave maid overheard his fit and then spotted Caesar and Octavian leave the storeroom. Now Atia is going to want to use her son for political advantage like she did her daughter.

We get to see how important ritual and religion was to the Romans. Caesar basically bribed the head priest in rigging divine approval over his actions against the Republic. I think Niobe's seer was divining the future by reading intestines, or maybe it was an animal phallus. A shadow is cast over Vorenus' business venture after the bust of his patron god was smashed. Romans co-opted many of the Greek gods and made them their own, but they still believed in thousands of other gods - there was one for nearly every object or thing.

I liked the scene with the city crier declaring that martial law was in effect - the curfew, limits on free public assembly, etc - and he was preaching to an empty street.

2-1B
09-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Pretty cool episode with Cato the dwarf and a bunch of other silliness, like the already mentioned testicles for Octavian. The mention of Cleopatra reminds me of a Paul Mooney bit but I can't type that out here. :D

Pullo and Atia are definitely my favorite characters through the first quarter of the season.

Ji'dai
09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Octavian and Pullo tortured and killed Evander, Niobe's lover while Vorenus was in Gaul. Octavian is an aristocratic little brat ain't he? I thought I recognized the actor who plays him - he was one of junior officers-in-training in the Russell Crowe film Master and Commander: On the Far Side of the World. He was the one who lost his arm after a battle with the French man-o-war.

I couldn't help but laugh at the way Vorenus and his family treated the slave child he brought home, the sole survivor of a plague that wiped out his entire "stock." Vorenus' daughters lorded over him like he was the new family pet.

2-1B
09-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Agreed, and I loved it how Atia assumed Octavian seduced Caesar, saying there's no way Servilia could compete with someone as soft as him. lol

Ji'dai
10-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Seems our man Pullo has played a Roman soldier before. I noticed him in the role of Knight Dagonet in King Arthur after watching it again. I initially passed on this movie since I noticed it starred Keira Knightley, and I figured it was another tired remake with actors from "The OC/90210"-type brat pack. How wrong I was...

In this reinterpretation of the Arthurian Legends, Arthur and his Knights are bound to protect the Roman province of Britannia during the waning years of the Western Roman Empire. As the Saxon conquest of the British Isles commences, Arthur must choose to retreat with the Romans or fight to keep Briton free.

Ray "Pullo" Stevenson, who plays Dagonet in the film, has very little dialogue but you can't miss him.

Ji'dai
10-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Nothin' but bed-hopping this week but I'm not complaining. Octavian's little adventure into manhood with Pullo as his guide was funny as all get out. Atia: "You will penetrate something today or I'll take all your books and burn them!" Pullo: "She better **** him like Helen of Troy with her *** on fire!"

And Atia's "gift" to Servillia to get back into her good graces. Atia: "Why, a large penis is always good to have." HBO is really pushing the limits with full-frontal male nudity, something that's just unheard of even in film.

I would've liked to see more of the sailing vessels the Romans used. We get a small glimpse of them in the storm but it looks like the boats were all open-decked craft. The men looked as if they were seated on benches built on the hull itself.

Pullo has a way of angering the gods that drives Vorenus nuts. He did the same thing when they first rode into Rome and Vorenus complained that the gods must have abandoned them if the city was unguarded. Pullo thought Mars just went out for a crap and missed it :D

JimJamBonds
10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I would've liked to see more of the sailing vessels the Romans used. We get a small glimpse of them in the storm but it looks like the boats were all open-decked craft. The men looked as if they were seated on benches built on the hull itself.

I remember from a course I took in college that the Romans weren't much in the way of sailers. They in essence fought on water the same way they fought on land. So maybe that is why they didn't show too much of their vessels??? Beats me. :D

2-1B
10-03-2005, 12:29 PM
I remember from a course I took in college that the Romans weren't much in the way of sailers.

Or spellers ? ;)

I enjoyed last night's episode, the gifts given to Servilia were hilarious - the already mentioned donkey schlong and what was with that turtle ? :D

Octavian's entry into manhood, I would have made the same selection myself. lol Pullo trying to score a pull in such a high-end establishment was pretty funny, too. lol

JimJamBonds
10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
It was an ancient society so a few things have changed over the years. ;)

Ji'dai
10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I remember from a course I took in college that the Romans weren't much in the way of sailers. They in essence fought on water the same way they fought on land. So maybe that is why they didn't show too much of their vessels??? Beats me. :D Yeah, that's true. By this point in time though Roman seafaring should have improved greatly. Just prior to this time period, the defeat of their great maritime rival, Carthage, relied heavily on Rome developing a strong navy and adjusting their successful land tactics to the sea. Roman ships had bridges mounted on them that could swivel out and clamp down on an enemy ship. They could then turn a sea battle into a land one.

I watched last Sunday's ep again, and forgot about Pullo and Vorenus in the bar talking about Niobe. Vorenus thought he should beat her, but Pullo said he'd have to keep that up until she became nice and docile. Then it'd be a shame to mark up such a beauty :D

JimJamBonds
10-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Yeah, that's true. By this point in time though Roman seafaring should have improved greatly. Just prior to this time period, the defeat of their great maritime rival, Carthage, relied heavily on Rome developing a strong navy and adjusting their successful land tactics to the sea. Roman ships had bridges mounted on them that could swivel out and clamp down on an enemy ship. They could then turn a sea battle into a land one.

That's about what I remember as well.

Ji'dai
10-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Did you guys see Pullo and Vorenus make a raft using dead bodies as make-shift pontoons or was that just me? :sur:

I was a bit disappointed with this week’s episode. I was expecting this large scale re-creation of the Battle of Pharsalus. All we got was the History Channel version - a few blurred shots of men in combat and then a depiction of the battle drawn in the sand later on. What a gyp! They must not have a big enough budget for battle scenes. Do they think they can placate us with a lesbian sex romp between Servillia and Atia’s daughter? Well, okay, maybe they can. But I expect more T&A next time.

Pompey done R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I couldn’t believe Vorenus just let him go too. His death at the hands of that Centurion in Egypt reminded me of Henry Hill’s comment in Goodfellas: your murderers come with smiles :Par:

2-1B
10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
The corpse raft was awesome and I didn't mind the lack of battle footage because I'm into this show for the great characters. :)

I was just wondering recently if and when they were going to move along to Cleopatra and it looks like that's coming up soon ! Ever hear Paul Mooney's bit about Cleopatra, Marc Antony, and Caesar ? :D

Ji'dai
10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
So how about that Gyppo princess, eh? When Pullo dusted that Nubian - wet as October! Pullo gets the best the lines "It's hot as Vulcan's ****!" and the choice assignments. Vorenus' glance at Pullo when Caesar was showing off his baby was priceless.

An entire year elapsed during the Cleopatra episode so they are moving right along. Now it's back to the mean streets of Rome. At this rate, the series may wrap up before too long.

Ji'dai
10-28-2005, 08:03 PM
So I was watching Hellraiser II last night and realized that Dr. Channard is played by Kenneth Cranham, ROME's Pompey Magnus.

You remember Hellraiser II -- a cautionary tale about the dangers of buying a secondhand matress :sur:

2-1B
10-29-2005, 12:36 AM
WELL DONE, J'Dai . . . I never made that connection ! (But I haven't seen Hellbound in forever so that's part of it) :)

Looking forward to this week's episode, will be good to have it back after a week off.

I'd hate to be that guy who has to serve as a footrest for Ptolemy. lol lol lol

Ji'dai
10-30-2005, 11:27 AM
It's been ages since I've seen Pinhead and the Cenobites as well. Hellraiser 1 & 2 popped up on AMC's Halloween "Monster Fest" so I revisted them.

The actor who playes Channard/Pompey is a bit older and... well, wider these days, but I still recognized his facial features.

2-1B
10-31-2005, 12:27 AM
Now that the incest card has been played, are there any taboos left to portray ? I'm struggling to think of any. lol

Rogue II
10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't even have a sister and that scene made me cringe. My wife, who hasn't been watching the show, walked in right when Atta said, "You (bleep)ed your sister!" She just kind of looked at me with a puzzled look and walked away.

Let's see:

Incest...check
Rape...check
Prostitution...check
Adultry...check
Unick...check
Lesbians...check
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"...check
"Do you like gladiator movies?"...check
"Ever been to a Turkish prison?"...ah-ha!

2-1B
10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
do you mean "Eunuch" ? (sorry, not trying to nit pick or anything, I just got a kick out of that spelling :D )

actually after thinking about it we haven't seen (thank Zeus :D ) bestiality. :nerv:
But I guess HBO already covered that one in Deadwood with that guy and Montana's horse's leg. lol lol lol lol lol

Rogue II
10-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. I figured I spelled it wrong. Unick actually a name of a guy I worked with.

All this talk of Eunuchs reminded me of the movie "Ice Pirates." Now there is a movie I need to find on DVD.

Ji'dai
10-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Ice Pirates was a fun film. That eunuch assembly line was sumthin' else.

Yeah.. the incest thing. And this kid is going to become the first emperor of the Roman Empire...

I thought it was cool that Caesar showed up at Vorenus' apartment just as the Godfatha and his crew were coming to get him. For a minute there, I thought he was there to back Vorenus in his fight with the mob.

Now that Vorenus is a magistrate I wonder if the secret about his wife will come out in public. Octavian told his sister, and then she told Servillia. And poor Pullo is being ignored and discarded. These last three episodes could be pretty explosive for all characters.

It was interesting that Atia's man mentioned Yom Kippur and was wearing a yarmulke. I take it that Servillia's assault was made to look like it was carried out by Jewish extremists. Though it's still several decades before the birth of Christ, Judaism is alive and well at this time.

Ji'dai
11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Some gory gladitorial combat this ep. Great that Vorenus stepped in and saved his friend, though it will likely cost him his alliance with Caesar. No matter though, Caesar's days are numbered. They way it worked out Vorenus & Pullo will probably be around to serve Caesar's successors Octavian and Marc Anthony. Can we expect another season focusing on the birth of Imperial Rome?

2-1B
11-13-2005, 11:45 PM
So I guess the moral of this week's episode is "don't badmouth the 13th" lol

Daz
11-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Can someone clear something up for me, the first episode takes place in 52 bc and if the trailer for the season finale "Kalends of February" is anything to go by it will be taking place in 44 bc(the year he was assasinated). What the hell happened to the six years in between, I know some allowances must be made in the timeline for the sake of drama, but six years come on ! that would mean six months would have had to have passed between every episode.

Ji'dai
11-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah, the series moved right along. Like you mentioned, the writers must have taken some dramatic license with historical events. It was mentioned in the Egypt/Cleopatra interlude that an entire year had elapsed during the course of that episode. So the passage of time in each episode may well be like you said.

Historically, this is how it went down:
51 BC - Caesar conquers Gaul
50 BC - Pompey and Caesar split politically
49 BC - Caesar crosses the Rubicon
48 BC - Caesar defeats Pompey at Pharsallus (Greece)
47 BC - Pompey murdered in Egypt
46 BC - Egypt made Roman province, Caesar returns to Rome
45 BC - Caesar, dictator of Rome, adopts nephew Octavian
44 BC - Caesar assassinated by Brutus and Cassius

Ji'dai
11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I liked Calpurnia's dream with the flock of birds forming into a skull over the field, that was pretty sweet. It may have been Vorenus' land too.

Too bad about Caesar, I really liked him. Same with Niobe. It was like watching a Greek tragedy.

Rogue II
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
I liked Calpurnia's dream with the flock of birds forming into a skull over the field, that was pretty sweet. It may have been Vorenus' land too.

That was pretty cool. It did look like Vorenus' land.

Was that the final episode? If so, it seems like it was missing something. It seems like they rushed the end.

There was a show on TLC or the Discovery Channel recently that documented the assassination of Caesar. It went into depth on the murder plot and the events leading up to it. Rome touched on some of it, but it seems like they took a few liberties as well.

Ji'dai
11-21-2005, 10:33 PM
That was pretty cool. It did look like Vorenus' land.

Was that the final episode? If so, it seems like it was missing something. It seems like they rushed the end. Yep, the season finale at least. Quite a few cliffhangers that need to be resolved next season such as the fates of Vorenus, Marc Antony, and Atia. Plus what the conspirators do after the assassination. It's ironic, in an effort to restore the Republic by killing Caesar, they've actually brought about the death of the Republic for good. The Imperial era is coming...

Hellboy
11-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Well I think its fair to say HBO has another quality series under their belt. I really enjoyed the last few episodes and felt the series overall was very well executed. :thumbsup:

Daz
11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Octavian is about 14 in the first episode which takes place in 52 bc in the course of the next 11 episodes 8 years pass making octavian 22 when the season ends with Caesars assasination in 44bc. Now I haven't seen the episode yet but have watched the trailer and Max Pirkis(the actor who plays Octavian) who is glimpsed briefly in it looks at best 16 certainly not the 22 the timeline would suggest. I wonder if perhaps the year long wait untill the secound season is in the hope he goes through a growth spurt and fills out a bit other wise I fear they might have to cast someone else in the role which would be a shame.

JimJamBonds
01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
A few weeks ago I got a copy of Rome from Caesar. I thought it was quite good and it was another well done series from HBO, I just wish I could remember more from the Roman History class I took in college. I thought Caesar's death was interesting how Brutus didn't stab right away only after it was clear that Caesar would die. Also I didn't hear the "ehh tu Bruti" although perhaps that is more 'urban legend' then actual historical truth? Overall well done!

Ji'dai
01-17-2006, 11:17 AM
"Et tu, Brute?" (And you, Brutus?) first appears in Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar. The sentence is still used today to mean treachery of a close or trusted friend. I suppose fact and fiction have become so intertwined that the sentence has become part legend.