PDA

View Full Version : Question about the future of Star Wars

DarkArtist
08-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this since there was no sub forum topic about it but this sort of popped into my head and I wanted to hear what other fans would have to say about it.

QUESTION:

Now that ROTS is in the can...... Will Lucas wait another 15 - 20 years to create yet another Trilogy, perhaps post OT or Pre Prequel ?????

My answer is yes. I think Lucas will not drop the bomb and never make another Trilogy because if you think about it, he is already talking about making a 3-D version of the movies which can be thought of as another attempt at the Special editions. Plus the money and the sheer sense that if he does make another trilogy that the fans will eat it up and even more money will go into his already large bank account.

Also if history has thought us anything, never expect that what someone says is always true. After all Indiana Jones was thought to have ended with the Last Crusade, at least I remember hearing something about that, and now fans are eagerly anticipating Indy IV. Whose to say that even though Lucas has stated the ROTS was the last of the Star Wars Saga, that in 15 or 20 years he doesn't create a new trilogy. Since we are getting a live action series and a cartoon series as well, it is obivious that Lucas does not want to end the Saga.

Plus there is still all of that untapped EU source out in the bookstores. (yes I know people get sour about the mere mention of EU, but if EU didn't exist then we wouldn't have had mention of Quilon Vos in ROTS and Aayla would have been no where ot be seen in AOTC and ROTS.)

I think that Lucas would be a fool to end the saga, since the fans still want more. Perhaps he can even just be th creative consultant on the films and hand over the reigns to someone else. He would still have the royalities to the Star Wars Saga and have a say as to what can happen in his universe.

And since Hasbro has the line rights to what 2018 this can be a way for them to create more product, since ideas are going to start running dry eventually.

And to top it all off, what is going to happen to the millions of potential fans that are going to be born in the future, will they be able to experience Star Wars on the Big Screen and have a saga of their own or are they doomed to forever only experience the Saga on the TV Screen.

I'm asking all to voice their thoughts on this. Even if you don't agree or think the Saga is complete, it wouold be interesting to hear the voices of others on this topic. :)

JimJamBonds
08-23-2005, 10:57 AM
One difference between Indy and Star Wars is that Star Wars is one big movie chopped into 3 smaller ones. You don't have that going on with Indy so you could make an Indy IV without having to do an Inday V and VI. I think ROTS is really it for movies, maybe that might change after G Lu dies but unless that happens I think we've seen it all. I believe George is 60 so if you tack on a few years to work on writing the first season of the tv show, working on SW in 3D, Indy IV and the Red Tails project along with those 'artsy' type projects he's spoken of that puts him at say 65. Then add at least a hundfull of years ontop of that before he'd stat work on the new trilogy and we're talking 70 yrs old. Add to that its about a 10 yr project we're talking George being something like 80 when that new trilogy is done I don't think it will happen. Like I said eariler perhaps after George has died something like that could happen but I'm not so sure.

Then again.... who knows what he will do.

Rogue II
08-23-2005, 11:00 AM
I think we've seen the last new Star Wars movies are done. There probably will be more special editions and I could see them re-releasing the films to theaters during some sort of anniversary celebration. It already has been said that the Star Wars Saga will continue in both an animated and live action TV shows. The tv shows, along with the 6 film should be enough to keep Hasbro busy.

Lucas says he has told the story he wanted to tell. He is also getting up there in age to where writing and directing a new move are too much work. Not only that, he'd have to spend a lot of time coming up with all the bull s--- answers on how he always intended for something to be.

DarthQuack
08-23-2005, 11:54 AM
My only concern is his age.....who knows how long he will be around to make these movies for us.

vader68
08-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I think he is done woth Star wars movies, he has been doing this for almost 30 years on and off. I would imagine he might be tired with it and want to move onto something completly different.

Ryno
08-23-2005, 02:27 PM
I think Lucas is absolutely done with Star Wars in general. From what I've read, isn't he just getting the TV show started and then handing it off to someone else? That may be the best thing for Star Wars in general. I am not a Prequel hater in anyway, ROTS is my second favorite movie behind ESB, but I think those movies would have been better served with someone else other than Lucas behind the camera. So, if someone else were allowed to pick up the Star Wars torch and run with it, which is a major "if", I think that this franchise could continue on.

Here are two more questions: 1. While we as Star Wars fans would love to see more movies, would the public in general want to see a Star Wars story without Darth Vader/Anakin and Yoda? 2. Assuming that these movies take place after the OT, how comfortable would we be with other actors taking on the roles of Luke, Han & Leia?

I don't think hasbro is a factor in this at all, they will have absolutely no problem putting out stuff until 2018. As long as they can find new ways to fit Cantina Han into a line, they'll keep going.

Umbra
08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah, i think if he had more years he'd could have tried, but factoring his age I just don't think its going to work out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a tweaked version of the prequels...I wish i could see some of the lines redone, if not something closer to the force.net's podcast suggestion. However, thats far to much to hope for, but we'll probably get a Prequel Special Edition.

Captain Spoon
08-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Actually It might be for the best. Look what happened to the MUppets when Henson died and his kids sold them to the Germans, they f'd it all up. Although I always thought they could do the Tim Zahn books as CGI movies that way you could use Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher's voices etc.

Slicker
08-23-2005, 05:22 PM
My only concern is his age.....who knows how long he will be around to make these movies for us.Exactly. Won't he be in his 80's or 90's by that time? I don't think it'll happen and I'm very happy with that.

JimJamBonds
08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Actually It might be for the best. Look what happened to the MUppets when Henson died and his kids sold them to the Germans, they f'd it all up.

Good point, what becomes of SW after he dies?

2-1B
08-24-2005, 01:11 AM
All I know for sure is that people are going to be asking about more movies over and over again.

JimJam, I believe his estate has specific legal instructions as to what may be done, specifically that nobody can have the rights to make or remake Star Wars films.

JimJamBonds
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
JimJam, I believe his estate has specific legal instructions as to what may be done, specifically that nobody can have the rights to make or remake Star Wars films.

I was going to say something along those lines myself, but I figured I'd hold off untill somebody with inside knowledge of G Lu's final will and testement. ;)

CaptainSolo1138
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
NO NEW MOVIES!!!

2-1B
08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
I was going to say something along those lines myself, but I figured I'd hold off untill somebody with inside knowledge of G Lu's final will and testement. ;)

Rick McCallum was at the Preparation of the Will (not to be confused with Journal of the Whills) and he told me this to be true. You were wise to hold off and wait for me, JimJam. :thumbsup:

Imperial Monarche
08-24-2005, 11:41 PM
IMO, once Lucas has passed, SW should cease to put out any new products. GL is the creator and the master puppeteer of SW and when he's gone, it'll be like the soul has left the body, so the life is gone. Until then, stick to other medias like television and literature, but no more movies. The movie story is done, there's no need to do more. But, if he would decide to do more, only do them if Lucas could get Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill to sign.

darth cynik
08-25-2005, 01:09 AM
There's a 3-D edition of the Star Wars saga coming?

Is it both trilogies, or just Ep IV-VI, or what?

Sorry, I know this might be old news to y'all, but I told ya I'm playing catch up nowadays, and this thread is the first I've seen of work on a 3D version being done.

JimJamBonds
08-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Rick McCallum was at the Preparation of the Will (not to be confused with Journal of the Whills) and he told me this to be true. You were wise to hold off and wait for me, JimJam. :thumbsup:

So where do you fit into the picture Caes'? I didn't know you flew out to the Bay Area to be at this meeting? :razz:

Good question there D.C., I don't recall if it was specific in saying the 3D version would be OT, PT or both? :confused:

Kidhuman
08-25-2005, 01:14 AM
I hope there isnt a 7-9 made. I also hope in the future he relases the original formats of the OT.