PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Special DVD (sort of)

Rocketboy
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Looks like Target (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=8-7/qid=1124996687/ref=sr_8_7/601-2024678-5752134?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00005JOIP) has jumped the gun and listed the Star Wars Holiday Special on DVD.
Naturally, there's no info at all about it.
Why they'd even list it is beyond me, but whatever.

El Chuxter
08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Wow. That's got to be a joke or a mistake based on wishful thinking. Lucas has said repeatedly that he will never allow it to be released, and I think that's probably the one thing he's not going to change his mind on tomorrow.

DarkArtist
08-25-2005, 03:17 PM
I mean if they wanted to release at least the cartoon with Boba Fett as an extra on the ROTS DVD or even include it in a ultra box set of the saga that's fine but the actual special, Oh God No! :o :o :o

Deoxyribonucleic
08-25-2005, 03:22 PM
that's weird and no picture either :thumbsup:

it's a WINNA!

Ji'dai
08-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I'd buy it.

If we're gonna get the Holiday Special then we better get all the DROIDS and EWOKS cartoons in their original episodic format too.. ...and archival editions of the OT.

Kidhuman
08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
I'd buy it.

If we're gonna get the Holiday Special then we better get all the DROIDS and EWOKS cartoons in their original episodic format too.. ...and archival editions of the OT.

I concur. Archival for me too

Slicker
08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Meh!! I've already got the Holiday Special on DVD.:whip:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2005, 05:26 PM
This is odd. Even if they did release it, I couldn't see them doing it by itself, there'd likely be multiple SW TV items, like the Muppet Show appearance and many commercials and things of that nature.

Rocketboy
08-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Meh!! I've already got the Holiday Special on DVD.Yeah, that was a painful 2 hours, made even moreso because of the out of synch audio.

Slicker
08-26-2005, 12:08 AM
But what's done is done and I wouldn't trade those 2 hours for anything. The commercials were especially good.

CaptainSolo1138
08-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I don't think that turd will EVER see an official "release". At least not until people can understand Wookie and make sense of the first 20 minutes.

bobafett07728
08-26-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't think that turd will EVER see an official "release". At least not until people can understand Wookie and make sense of the first 20 minutes.

OH!!!. . . so THAT is why I was so confused. . . I thought it was the ridiculous dance sequence that threw me off. . .

Either way. . . it will be in my archives. I doubt I'll ever play it (its one of those things you need to see once and only once,) but I'll still buy it. Knowing the perception everyone has of the show. . . it will end up clearanced for sure.

DTMAN
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, I could not help but comment.
The chances it would be release while Lucas ia alive is like winning the lottery.
I will believe when I see it. It has to be a mistake.

I figured we would see the original version of the Trilogy on DVD before he would allow it to be released.

I always had a thought IF it was going to be officially released: Holiday Special:VSE.

Hey, fix it , change it, CGI. Used more deleted footage. Add more anime. It could be done.

My idea was to receive it, you need to turn your bootleg.

We will see. Always the future in motion.

Rogue II
08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
It just goes to show you that when you do something bad, it will STAY ON YOUR PERMAMENT RECORD FOREVER!!!

One thing all Star Wars fan boys agree on is that the Holiday Special was bad.

Hey, fix it , change it, CGI.

No amount of CGI or editing can save it. lol

JediTricks
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
I wonder if Lucas owns the distribution rights to the Holiday Special. It was put on TV by CBS and they were the distributor at the time, and the production companies are Fox, LFL, and Smith-Hemion Productions. It also has a ton of producer credits to it who may have gotten a piece of the distribution rights.

By the way, did you know that the Holiday Special was written by Pat Proft (one of the writers on Police Academy, The Naked Gun, Hot Shots, and more); Bruce Vilanche (yes THAT Bruce Vilanche!); and Lenny Ripps (writer/producer for Full House, and writer of "Frankenweenie" which was a short that Tim Burton did for Disney which got him noticed enough to do Pee Wee's Big Adventure - the springboard for his career)?

2-1B
08-26-2005, 11:16 PM
TFN hit it on the head, it's just a placemarker for things that could POTENTIALLY come on DVD. For example, the OT a few years ago. No release date had been announced but some of the online stores had it listed. I think that is what Target did here. Why ? I don't know. :D

Jargo
05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/starwars-holiday/

This just made me snort muchly while laughing. best review of this tripe ever.

JimJamBonds
05-25-2006, 11:32 PM
lol I'd forgotten how bad the holiday special was until I looked at that website.... thanks Mr. DP. :rolleyes: lol

Slicker
05-26-2006, 05:11 AM
I love the gifs in that write up. Grandpas growler is the funniest.

tagmac
06-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Considering Lucas said he'd never release the original versions of the trilogy either, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Holiday Special released one of these days after all.

Jargo
06-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't pray but I would, that this bile never gets released from whatever prison it's currently residing in.

How do the actors view it? Would they be happy to have any decent work they did since undermined by having the SWHS released? I can imagine Fisher and Hamill attempting some kind of court injunction to stop it harming their careers further. I'll wager the original master tapes have somehow mysteriously vanished anyway. It doesn't strike me as being the sort of thinganyone would actually archive unless they were insane. And the SWHS has the potential to drive a lot of unsuspecting viewers that way. SWHS stress syndrome lawsuits could follow if it got out on a legitimate DVD release.

Rocketboy
06-14-2006, 09:21 PM
How do the actors view it? Not too long ago Harrison Ford was on Conan O'Brien and Conan asked him about it. Harrison looked a bit embarrassed and uncomfortable and didn't say much about it.

Kidhuman
06-14-2006, 09:38 PM
That was hilarious, there was a youtube video somewhere on here of that show. Ford basically hid his head in shame.

2-1B
06-15-2006, 12:03 AM
I remember that too, and they even showed a clip ! lollollol

Banthaholic
06-15-2006, 09:50 PM
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/starwars-holiday/

This just made me snort muchly while laughing. best review of this tripe ever.
At the bottom of his last page he even has a review of the Star Wars Christmas Album, even giving away a spoiler on what to give Chewie for x-mas...

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 02:30 AM
And here I thought it was "pants".

jjreason
06-16-2006, 04:49 PM
It needs to be left alone - but like any horror, people are always curious enough to want to slow down and have a look.

The saddest part is that GLu would make an absolute fortune if it were released - too many geeks like us would have to have it.

I will chime in though and say that I also enjoyed the commercials when I watched it most recently.

2-1B
06-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Agreed with Reason, those commercials are great ! I wish my copy had more commercials in it. :(

Slicker
06-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Agreed with Reason, those commercials are great ! I wish my copy had more commercials in it. :(My copy is great. It's got I think 80 total toy commercials that were added on to it in "post production".

Speaking of my copy I think Rebos_Guitarist still has it. Have to shoot him a PM...

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I think you need to make me a copy Slicker.

Slicker
06-16-2006, 09:36 PM
That's why I sent it to Rebo so he could make a copy but last I knew he was havin' trouble and that was early this year and I still haven't gotten it back.

2-1B
06-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Is this a DVD copy you have, Slick? :confused:

Send it to me and I'll take care of it. Rocketboy is aware of my abilities from that Troops copy I made for him. lol

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Send it slick, send it now.

Slicker
06-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Is this a DVD copy you have, Slick? :confused:

Send it to me and I'll take care of it. Rocketboy is aware of my abilities from that Troops copy I made for him. lol Most certainly is a copy. It's not the best but it's good enough for what you need it for.

I still haven't gotten it back.

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Have him send it to Caesar.

2-1B
06-16-2006, 10:20 PM
I meant "copy" as in DVD vs. VHS. :D

Of course it's a copy, I don't recall LFL releasing this thing officially. :crazed:

What's Rebo's address? I'll go over there and drag him out of his organ and beat him with Droopy McCool's instrument until he gives up the goods. :mad:

I have it on VHS but a DVD would be awesome because then I could screencap it and make an avatar of unlimited stupidity. :D

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
It is

1234 elm street

Slicker
06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Ohhhhh, THAT sort of copy.

It's a DVD.

I think I still have Rebos addy but I haven't seen him post in some time, IIRC.

Banthaholic
06-17-2006, 12:46 AM
My mom used to make me watch this when I got caught doing something bad...

No mom... I'm sorry... I won't do it again, anything, not the Holliday special :upset:

2-1B
06-17-2006, 12:48 AM
So then what did you do to warrant being saddled with that avatar ? :confused:

lol lol lol

Banthaholic
06-17-2006, 01:22 AM
So then what did you do to warrant being saddled with that avatar ? :confused:

lol lol lol
The avatar is just my way of reminding Hasbro the need to make a figure of Beau :love: