PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Models

Captain Spoon
08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
has anyone here built one of the ERTYL Star Wars models? They look pretty sweet bad I had a couple of questions.
Are they hard to assemble?
Do they need a lot of paint?
Are they a good scale with the Hasbro stuff or would they look silly when displayed together?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adavanced for the info. :thumbsup:

trandoshan666
09-08-2005, 12:37 AM
I did the AT-AT and I love it. It's much smaller than say one of the toy AT-ATs, but it has pretty good detail. Its pretty middle-of the-road as far as difficulty is concerned. I took my time putting it together and painting it, and it has been a really nice addition to my collection. I've also contemplated buying the Death Star, but decided to hold out for the Second Death Star. It should be much cooler. None of the other models has really appealed to me.

trandoshan666
09-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Here's a pic of my AT-AT.

http://www.ragingrobot.com/blog/imx/sw3.jpg

Jayspawn
09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I've actually built a few of their models. They're a lot of fun to make and they're not too hard either. Its taken me longer to work on them because I use my own paint and do extra detailing and wethering on them to give them a 'screen acurate' look. The models themselves are acurate but the directions on painting are basic. I'll see if i can post some pictures of my finished AT-AT.

DarkArtist
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
The larger scale X-Wing is the best value since it gives you more of chance for detail. I think the hardest one to build is the shuttle but I'm nt sure if they released that again. The Falcon is awesome and from what I know the Death Star is just two pieces that you glue together. If you have the chanmce pick up the TIE fighter two pack as well.:thumbsup:

Jayspawn
09-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm actually building the TIE Fighters from the 2-pack now DarkArtist. They're awesome models and they were not at all easy to track down either. I've had to modify them some, where there should be a back window in each cabin they molded a few enguines. I filed those out and installed windows. I really detailed the cockpits also but after they're assembled you can really see the inside as well -but I feel better knowing that I did them anyways.

Jayspawn
09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Heres a picture of my Slave 1. I started it years back when I was in middle school. For some reason I had forgotten about it and it sat, unfinished in my garage with pieces scattered. I more recently found all the pieces and built it. Needless to say I'm very pleased with the results!

Jayspawn
09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Thats a nice AT-AT trandoshan666! Heres a few pics of mine. I also made a custom base for mine as well. I'll try to get a few pics of that up...

Captain Spoon
09-14-2005, 01:10 PM
is there any detail on them at all? I'm junk with paint. I mean if I build one without paint will it just look like a hunk of grey plastic?

Jayspawn
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Pretty much Captain Spoon. They come in a basic grey, but you're going to want to paint them. They have TONS of detail, they are very good kits. The suggestions for pait that AMT/ERTL give you are not that good, and sometimes inaccurate.

Theres a great site called StarWarsModels.com which is a fan site run by a follow whom building Star Wars Models IS his hobby. Its a great site w/ tips and techniques. I've found it very helpful as well as using pictures from the Lucasfilm Archives.