PDA

View Full Version : TIE Fighter: Target Exclusive version

JEDIpartner
08-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Forgive me if I skip the cockpit and go straight to the new and improved (somewhat) solar panels. The cockpit's the same one that came out with the K*B Toys exclusive and the OTC.

Yep... this sucker is huge. SO huge that the new one could eat a whole fleet of the previous versions, dating back to 1978, for a breakfast appetizer! Seriously.

Hasblah rejiggered the connection struts a little but not enough for one to really notice. The panels are nicely detailed and you really couldn't ask for more as far as that goes. Hasbro did their homework and managed to tool them with an unbelievable amount of detail and care.

Sadly, the new struts aren't strong enough to really carry the weight of the panels. You know how the old TIE Fighter had a little side to side give due to the design? Well-- multiply that by the size the panels increase over the old ones and you've got yourself a little bit of a problem.

Fortunately, I don't see this causing a problem in the long run but you'd best be sure that wherever you are displaying this, the surface is level.

The panels themselves seem to be made of a pretty high-impact plastic so I don't believe these will be as susceptible to the bending seen on the Darth Vader TIE or the TIE Bomber of recent years.

Overall, it's a very handsome piece. I'm glad I had some gift cards from my birthday to pay for this otherwise I'd be screaming "rape". After all, I DID buy that K*B Toys exclusive for $29.99 a couple years ago. Grrrr... If only I knew then what I know now!

The packaging is very nice. For those of you who wanted some nicely printed Imperial Navy insignias, they are all over this box. There's a pretty huge one on the inside bottom panel. There are no flames or lava but it closley resembles the ROTS colour scheme that we've grown accustomed to over the last couple months. Due to the extensive window design, the cardboard has a tendancy to rip. The one I took had a rip in the box that Hasbro kindly taped up before packing. So, I don't know how yours will ship if you are a boxed collector.

The other "issue" with the packaging one might has is that the centre hexagon of each panel is pushed through a hole in the side windows. This leaves the part exposed to Lord knows what sort of abuse it may experience while on the shelf. The part is so inricately detailed that I'm afraid some damage may occur if it is bumped against another unit or dragged along a vented shelf.

Overall... I'd give this an "A". I'd have given it an "A+" if Hasbro had done a little more work to this to ensure a little more stability between the panels and the cockpit.

These puppies come packed two to a case. The nice lady at Target brought me the case and Jedi Drew is the recipient of the second unit.

Slicker
08-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Nice comparison pics JP. I can't wait to get this puppy in my hands.

bobafrett
08-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Man what a difference. I have always hated the hasbro TIE fighters because of the stubby wings, this is a 100% better version of this toy, ands I may actually buy one seeing as I have no TIE fighters for the above mentioned reason.

Funny thing is, if you look at the cockpits, the one with the larger wings looks slightly smaller, but it's probably an optical illusion.

JEDIpartner
08-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I actually ended up swapping cockpits because the K*B one looked like it was in a little nicer condition.

Val Da Car
08-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I have a question about the pack-in pilot...

Which one is he...the POTF "Beefcake" or the OTC super sculpted awesome figure?

JEDIpartner
08-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Standard pack-in fare, of course... go with the oldest. It's the beefy POTF2 one.

Kidhuman
08-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Damn its huge. I am gonna get one. I am glad the only other TIE I have is the OTC one and I paid 3 bucks for it.

X13VADER
08-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Bought One Last Week Looks Great! Just Bummed It Makes All My Other Ones Look Stupid.

JEDIpartner
08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I've decided my K*B Exclusive version is now an EU TIE Scout ship.

Devo
08-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Bought One Last Week Looks Great! Just Bummed It Makes All My Other Ones Look Stupid.

Agreed. I really didn't realise how crap and inaccurate the old one was till I saw the comparison shots.

Bacta Beast
08-29-2005, 02:14 PM
The problem that I have with this Tie are;
1. No electronics
2. Waaaaaay overpriced!
3. 1 & 2 don't matter, I can't find it!!!!!!

Blackened88
08-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Same here for 2 and 3, oh well. Does anyone know how many Hasbros gonna make?

JediTricks
09-03-2005, 03:24 AM
First off, normally I repost my reviews into the forums, but because I took a lot of photos and threw them into the review, I am just gonna link you guys to it in the SSG news: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31764

Secondly, I don't mind the lack of electronics, I suspect Hasbro would have goofed that up anyway, there's not a lot of space left in the TIE Fighter toy anymore. A scream flyby sound would have been cool, maybe light-up engines & guns, both of these are feasible in the $5 R2-D2 figures so why not here. But I don't miss them with this set either, it's awesome by itself (albeit overpriced and with the wrong pack-in).

Slicker
09-03-2005, 03:30 AM
I'm still flabbergasted at how we could have been content with that inferior TIE Fighter for nearly 30 years. When I look at the comparison pics I'm just dumbfounded.

JEDIpartner
09-03-2005, 08:52 AM
I look at mine everyday and still marvel at its magnificence.

whopper
09-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Has this thing actually been released at Target's yet or did you guys get them online?

I checked my Target several times. Some of the guys selling them on Ebay say they got it "in hand" but it hasn't been released yet. One online source I've seen mentioned that its release date is in August.

I don't want get ripped off and pay $60 for it--the online price plus an extra $10-20 for shipping.

JEDIpartner
09-03-2005, 02:58 PM
I got mine at Target last Saturday.

Kidhuman
09-03-2005, 09:02 PM
They have been spotted by many people including myself. They are out there.

JediTricks
09-05-2005, 12:32 AM
I got mine at Target last Monday, and since then have seen a lot more sightings for 'em. I'm told they ship just 2 to a case, which ain't so great.

Slicker, I was never content with the old one. :D

JEDIpartner
09-05-2005, 08:24 AM
The DO come two to a case... I know 'cos I bought a case. ;)

whopper
09-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Aw nuts. I figure some sci fi geek probably beat me out to the ones I'm trying to get at my local Target. Not that I'm not a sci fi geek. Just a jealous one!

Val Da Car
09-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Just got two last night at Target.

bobafrett
09-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Man what a difference. I have always hated the hasbro TIE fighters because of the stubby wings, this is a 100% better version of this toy, ands I may actually buy one seeing as I have no TIE fighters for the above mentioned reason.

Funny thing is, if you look at the cockpits, the one with the larger wings looks slightly smaller, but it's probably an optical illusion.

I feel funny quoting myself, but the other day I was packing up some of my collectibles to make room for my EPIII toys which have been sitting at the basde of my bed since I bought them, and I came across two of the older TIE fighters. So I lied, but I actually forgot that I owned any. Wow, what a little collection cleaning can do. I began photographing my collection piece by piece, so I have a better clue on what I actually have, and do not have in my collection.

New TIE wins, hands down!

JEDIpartner
09-11-2005, 02:45 PM
You just cracked me up! :)

DARKLORD_67
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I'm actually in love with a toy. Sad... but true!!! Gawd, I'm such a geek!!!

The release of this Tie Fighter with larger wings meant that I could one day (hopefully a long time from now) die a very happy man!!

The one that I just bought on e-bay brings me up to 19 (and counting). I plan to stop at 24. That's two full squadrons.

I'm still trying to sell off my squadron of the old POTF II (small winged) Ties (phooey).

It's a good thing my wife is SO understanding due to my lack of other vices:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dr_evazan22
02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
What, pray tell, aer you going to do with 2 squadrons of TIE's? Please provide pics of anydiorama's.

stillakid
02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
19 TIEs X $40.00 + tax = :hurt:

JediTricks
02-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow, I can't even picture putting 20 of these things in my apartment, I just don't have the space. They are really nifty, I wish I had gotten a second on clearance, but I was broke when they hit the lower price. I'm still glad I have the one I got, it's one of the pieces I check out every day.

Slicker
02-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Maybe that's the reason why I haven't found one yet.;)

DARKLORD_67
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM
What, pray tell, aer you going to do with 2 squadrons of TIE's? Please provide pics of anydiorama's.

Ummm... grin like an idiot?

I plan to take photos of the two full squadrons when they are complete. At the rate I'm grabbin' them up... figure about another month.

I wish I had the space to pose them ALL in mid air in a HUGE outer-space painted room with a Death Star Half globe protruding from the back wall. I imagine them frozen in PITCH BATTLE (Battle of Endor) with my squadron of X-Wings (30), Tie Interceptors (24), Y wing Fighters (6), B-Wing Fighters(4) and A-Wing Fighters (20) Tie Bombers (4)... and in the center of all the mayhem... my giant 6 foot diameter Millenium Falcon Toys R Us display (Which is pretty much the correct scale for the figures)

Sigh... a geek can dream, can't he? Maybe one day, I'll have the space... right now, these squadrons AND the rest of the collection, takes up most of the second floor of my home...

Here's a photo of "Millie" (as I affectionately call her) before I had a large storage carton made for her. The box alone ended up being about as big as a king-sized bed!

These photos were taken shortly after I acquired her. I used to have her standing up on her edge in a corner of the bedroom of my old apartment (before my wife and I bought our new home).

One of the new Target Tie Fighters is slightly larger than this Millenium Falcon's radar dish! In a word... YUMMY!!!!!! My wife and I have already launched an attack with four of those Ties against the Falcon and we... eh... oh... um... nevermind...:D ...geeking out again...

Anyway here are the photos of Millennium Falcon "Extraordinaire" #315:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/Millie.jpg

DARKLORD_67
02-10-2006, 12:08 AM
19 TIEs X $40.00 + tax = :hurt:

Well acually it was only 10 of them at $40. I was able to get the rest on clearence. It's still a considerable :hurt: , though.:thumbsup:

stillakid
02-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Well acually it was only 10 of them at $40. I was able to get the rest on clearence. It's still a considerable :hurt: , though.:thumbsup:

$400 dollars? We could almost build our own ship for that...we don't have to sit here and....

;)

DARKLORD_67
02-10-2006, 12:41 AM
$400 dollars? We could almost build our own ship for that...we don't have to sit here and.... ;)

:D :D :D lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :D :D :D

Good one, Skillakid!!! REAL good one!!! LMAO!!!!