PDA

View Full Version : Droids show no longer canon?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Since C-3PO and R2-D2 get assigned to Captain Antilles at the end of ROTS, and he's still their master at the start of ANH, does that mean that the horrible Droids cartoon is no longer canon? Has anyone written anything on this yet? Was it all a figment of C-3PO's new imagination? Did they leave Antilles and then end up there, many wacky adventures later? Or was this just another victim of rewritten history?

2-1B
08-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Why do you think it was ever Canon in the first place ? :confused:

JimJamBonds
08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Why do you think it was ever Canon in the first place ? :confused:

Yeah what he said! :yes:

Slicker
08-29-2005, 02:27 AM
I think Droids was a nice little side track for Star Wars. I don't know how much info people really use from the cartoons anyways.

Rocketboy
08-29-2005, 10:15 AM
George used it - The Boonta Race.

El Chuxter
08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Maybe they were sold by accident due to a clerical error somewhere, and then Antilles spared no expense in tracking them down. But it took him a few years.

Ji'dai
08-29-2005, 05:32 PM
You have to keep in mind that detailed historical records from the pre-Imperial era are sketchy at best.

Recent archaeological evidence uncovered by [New] Republic scientists suggests that the Clone Wars was far more destructive than originally believed. Many historical records were lost and since the conflict was galaxy-wide, all of the Old Republic's centers of academic study and archival repositories were destroyed.

The information purge was completed by the Empire, which began to re-write history to favor Palpatine's regime. Historical records from the Imperial perspective, although interesting and sometimes factually-based, are generally not considered a trustworthy source. We can only really trust records dating from the beginning of Galactic Civil War, shortly before the Battle of Yavin. This is when historians in the Rebel Alliance began to counter the Imperial propaganda machine by beginning a meticulous record of their activities.

So events depicted in a recent holofilm trilogy about the pre-Imperial era are to be taken with a grain of salt. The holofilm's director, not having concrete historical sources on which to base the story, obviously took quite a bit of historical liberties to add dramatic and visual flair.

Information has been downloaded from the memory banks of the droids, R2-D2 and C-3PO, although unfortunately it is often fragmentary (both droids underwent extreme violence during the Galactic Civil War - 3PO was blasted into parts; R2 was electrocuted several times). However, the information recovered does reinforce the basic historical records found in the popular holocartoon series; conservative estimates place both droids' manufacture and activation prior to the Clone Wars and pre-Imperial era by at least a millennium.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
I never said I liked them, I just thought it was odd how there's not really a way for them to be canon at all anymore (whereas before, there was a chance that they were).

JediTricks
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
The *big screen* is the only canon.

Slicker
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Wow, that's quite a write up Ji'dai. How do you know so much useless knowledge? I thought I knew alot but you've got me :whip:

Ji'dai
08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Aw, I'm makin' this crap up as I go along.

I do believe the OT & DROIDS cartoon to be canon rather than the awful prequel trilogy. However, A-Wing Fighters appeared DROIDS episodes, which is odd since that ship was considered state-of-the-art around the time of the Battle of Endor, many, many years later.

El Chuxter
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Actually, it was retro-explained that this was a prototype model that saw little usage, not the A-Wing itself, which was developed around the time of ESB.

Hey, I ain't making this up.

JediTricks
08-29-2005, 06:37 PM
"personal canon" is alright with me. :D

Ji'dai
08-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Actually, it was retro-explained that this was a prototype model that saw little usage, not the A-Wing itself, which was developed around the time of ESB.

Hey, I ain't making this up. Now that you mention it, I recall reading that explanation about the A-Wing-like prototype in DROIDS too.

If you absolutely, positively must consider ROTS canon... Akin to what Chuxter said about the clerical error, maybe Antilles was a gambler who lost the droids in a Sabacc game shortly after Bail gave them to him.

So the cartoon series chronicles R2 & 3PO's major exploits as they plied the galaxy in the service of one master to the next after leaving Antilles. R2 & 3PO's masters and associates were often involved in anti-Imperial activities, which would likely draw the attention of the fledgling Rebel Alliance. So Captain Antilles, being official chauffeur of the Alderaan political opposition, learned of the whereabouts of his errant droid charges and was able to recover them again by the time of ANH.

kool-aid killer
09-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I never considered the Droids cartoon to be canon. But they do make reference to it and some of the characters found in the official website, so maybe there is an effort to make it fit within the already established storyline. I like Ji'dais reasoning of Antilles losing the droids, it would help explain why he didnt move up the chain of command after 20 years, Bail was probably disappointed with him.

The 'Xir
09-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Wow, that's quite a write up Ji'dai. How do you know so much useless knowledge? I thought I knew alot but you've got me :whip:

Hey! I just played the saga edition of SW: trivial pursuit and my buddy read all the questions off of 100 cards(600 questions) and I got 589 out of 600 only missing 11! That's gotta count for something! :crazed: ;)