PDA

View Full Version : We all own real props from Star Wars movies!

JediGoofy
08-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Yesterday I went to a Star Wars exhibition here in Italy. It was made with the contribution of LucasFilm itself and contained drawings, story board pictures, costumes and models used in the making of the real movies.

Beneath the other things there were a couple of models used in the Mos Espa Grand Arena in TPM.
The first was a big chunk of the arena seating, which is also cited in the official Star Wars site (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/mosespagrandarena/?id=bts Behind the Scenes section): “Industrial Light & Magic used multiple methods in creating the Mos Espa Grand Arena for the screen. Sections of arena seating were shot on location in Tunisia with costumed extras. These elements, shot on high-def video and not on film, were then cloned and repositioned in ILM's computers to make the crowd even larger. The arena itself was a huge miniature built and filmed at ILM. Extending the miniature were a number of digital matte paintings. To fill in the crowds in the miniature, ILM ingeniously used multi-colored cotton swabs blown by a fan to form a bustling audience.” (I am referring to the miniature with the crowd made of cotton swabs, see first picture).
The other was the race gate (see second and third picture).

Well, I noted that people on the stairs of the arena and especially all people standing on the race gate were actually Action Fleet figures! :eek: In particular ILM technicians used a lot of Lukes from the AF Rancor, among a lot of others (probably obtained directly from Galoob, I do not think they bought so many AF Rancors just for army building purposes ;) ).
So Action Fleet figures were used in the actual movies, and part of the crowd you see in TPM during the Mos Espa Podrace are the same AF figures we all have at home. :D
Action Fleet line was so good even ILM appreciated it! :yes:
Cool, isn't it? :cool:

Ciao,
JediGoofy

Slicker
08-29-2005, 05:56 AM
They also used an arse load of painted Q-Tips that swayed back and forth.

I've never heard about the AF figures. Very interesting.

sicqnus
08-29-2005, 07:48 AM
If you had the chance to see the ILM model of the Radiant cruiser used at the beginning of TPM you will see the pilot figures in the cockpit are Action Fleet figures.

JimJamBonds
08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Looks like that was a cool exhibit there GJ. Nice post. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I remember hearing about them using the AF minifigs, there was even a shot with a Xizor minifig, but then we were told that ILM scrapped those shots and went all-digital. Now I don't know what to believe here.

sicqnus
08-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Here are a few quick shots of an article wrote by Cabour in a recent issue of DP. The pics were taken in 2000 in UK by a german member of Phoxim.de
Sorry they are a little blurry but they are printed tiny on the page.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5953/zzzdscn58427ck.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4788/zzzdscn58442zq.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2933/zzzdscn58439hv.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8119/zzzdscn58452ik.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/94/zzzdscn58469yi.jpg

Slicker
08-29-2005, 06:33 PM
You can even see my Q-Tips in the first picture.:thumbsup:

bobafrett
08-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I saw the Q-tip Mos Espa stands at an "Action, movie making" exhibit at the Museum of Science and Indutry in Chicago about a year ago. They also had a model of a Star Destroyer that had a camera you could control with a joystick to show how you could run along the length of the starship making it look like it was in motion, without the ship even moving an inch. They had a model of one of the buildings around Dex's diner, as well as other movie props including the car from "Minority Report".

vulcantouch
08-29-2005, 11:46 PM
. . .trek mms were used as statues outside the starfleet hq miniature built for the DS9 "homefront/paradise lost" 2-parter :)

sergiurusu
08-31-2005, 02:13 AM
This is a really cool thread! Thanks for sharing!

JediGoofy
08-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Thank you sicq, the first 3 pictures of yours are what I was speaking of :thumbsup: (included Slicker's Q-Tips :classic: ). Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures at the exhibition :sad: but yours supply for that. ;)

I saw also the Mos Espa Grand Arena starting gate and there were other AF figures standing there. There were Utapau buildings too, but those did not show any people (of course, ILM run out of AF figures and Hasbro is not producing them any more :ermm: :p ).

JT what you say (that they went all digital in the end) decrease a little my happines :neutral: , but in any case AF vehicles and figures (and probably also MM ones, thanks to vt note) were well known and appreciated even by ILM people if they used them in their creations :D (and I am speaking of Industrial Light & Magic! :cool: ).

Ciao,
JediGoofy

P.S.
This is a really cool thread! Thanks for sharing!Sergiu and JJB, thank you very much. :pleased:

JediTricks
09-01-2005, 03:29 AM
JT what you say (that they went all digital in the end) decrease a little my happines , but in any case AF vehicles and figures (and probably also MM ones, thanks to vt note) were well known and appreciated even by ILM people if they used them in their creations (and I am speaking of Industrial Light & Magic! ).Yeah, I didn't mean to wet-blanket your story but it did come off that way. You are right though, ILM did appreciate the Galoob lines. Heck, McQuarrie even did custom artwork for the Action Fleet playsets (main box graphics) if I remember correctly.

Warstar
09-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Yep- Death Star with Battle-Damaged Darth's TIE, Yavin Rebel Base with Battle-Damaged Red 2 X-Wing and Hoth playset with Battle-Damaged Snowspeeder AF's all had original Ralph McQuarrie paintings...

I met the man at Starfest back in the late 90's in Colorado. He was hard of hearing, but I shook his hand- I had to! Thus I have touched the hand of the man that sold Star Wars to Fox...YAY! :)

I bought a print directly from him of a Snowspeeder that shot by an AT-AT (and it's going down in flames- it's a shot from under the AT-AT's head), at that Starfest, and he signed it for me, and I was WOWED!

On a side note, the print direct from him was AMAZINGLY colored and brilliant compared to the reprints I have seen of the same artwork in several books...that might be a pet project someday- to photograph or scan the print I got from him 'cause damn, it's AWESOME too :-)

Thanks for making me remember that, JT :p

JediTricks
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
That's awesome WS. How much did the print cost from him? Was it pretty pricey or what? Hundreds, thousands?

Warstar
09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Wow...it wasn't more than like $40-$50 at the time (I don't remember how much it cost, but it was worth it), and he signed it for free. I'd have to pull it out for exact dimensions but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 X 17 in size.

Of course getting into Star Fest, as always, was pricey...

In fact, if I can find it tonight (I know where the print is in all my mess, amazingly enough), I'll take a pic and post it here :)

Oh- and it was 1996...

Marilyn actually had a pic of him from that appearance on this page of hers that's still there:

http://r2toyforce.net/starfest.htm

Weird thing is, I didn't meet her until 4 years later (as the pics there will attest- the last time I saw Marilyn was in the Summer of 2001, though we met at the Starfest of 2001 ((Spring)))

I got Jeremy Bulloch's autograph on a Boba Fett pic from that 1996 con, too- he personalized it with my name and "As you wish" on it :)

As a matter of fact, that was my first con ever- Fall of 1996. I remember it now- it was the first time my friend David and I had done anything together outside of his job at Wal-Mart (he used to hook me up with new SW and Spawn stuff- I mean like 4 AM calls in the night ((much to the chagrin of my girlfriend)) to tell me stuff was in and I would go- the Wal-Mart Super Center where he worked was the first one in Colorado, it was in Greeley, and it was open 24 hours!) I was a Shadows of the Empire fiend back then too...

David's married now, has a kid who is my godson...which makes me a Godfather :lipsrseal w00t! :D

Anyway, I still am a Shadows fiend, and as for all of my Shadows stuff, I have decided, I will not sell it. I might sell my extras though (I do have an army of Luke in Corsucant Guard disguise...like 12+ of them)

Once again, good memories! Thanks for making me remember them :)

JediTricks
09-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Nice gets! And thanks for the link to Marilyn's photos of the con, that must have been a really awesome time.

Warstar
09-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey JT:

http://www.yumeworks.com/ebay/swbook0001d.jpg

Check that pic out (found it on Ebay).

The picture in the print I have is the top one with the AT-AT and Snowspeeder- and even the pic here (which does not show the whole thing) still looks worn and faded by comparison...

...you've totally inspired me to frame the thing now :)

JediTricks
09-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Pretty sweet WS! Get that in a frame that will protect it from the elements so the signature doesn't fade.