PDA

View Full Version : True meaning behind celebration song?

megaprime33
08-31-2005, 05:56 AM
I was surfing around the other day and came across this site...
http://www.starwarsdotcom.com/_languages/ewoksong.html
Now is this what the song really means??

JimJamBonds
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
I'll say yes, at the end you can hear the line 'celebrate the light' etc. in English.

Kidhuman
08-31-2005, 11:10 AM
You can hear it for sure at the end.

bobafrett
08-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Freaky little Ewoks. Now we can all sing along at the end of the trilogy!

Slicker
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
I like how it actually makes sense. I don't know if that's what Lucas meant it to mean or some fanboy made it but it jives with the movies.

Bacta Beast
08-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow! Someone has way too much time on there hands! lol

maatu
08-31-2005, 09:05 PM
wow that's cool. i didn't know there was someone out there besides g.l. that could speak and translate ewok. wow what alot of free time.

JimJamBonds
08-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Wow! Someone has way too much time on there hands! lol

That would probably be John Williams.

2-1B
08-31-2005, 11:10 PM
I need Ben Burtt to comment on this before I will accept it.

How did they get away with starwarsdotcom.com as their web address ?

Yub Nub.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
In the liner notes of the Star Wars Soundtrack Anthology, It does say that the English at the end is "Celebrate the light - freedom! Celebrate the might - power! Celebrate the fight - glory! Celebrate the love." I don't know about the rest of the song. It does say that the English lyrics are by John Williams, Ewok lyrics by Ben Burtt.

2-1B
08-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks posty, that adds some serious validity to these claims ! :)

Lazer Brain
09-01-2005, 03:18 PM
wow, i always hated that song, but now with all the 'retooling' the movies have been thru , i kind of miss it.
later

Slicker
09-01-2005, 06:50 PM
wow, i always hated that song, but now with all the 'retooling' the movies have been thru , i kind of miss it.
laterSame here. It's in the same boat as the Jabba's Palace song. I actually liked that song lots better than the new one on the first viewing.

2-1B
09-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I hate the Ewok song, I'm glad it's gone.

Lapti Nek on the other hand, I prefer that one to the new version.

But I do like Rappurtunie honkin' on that 'monica thing to get things started. :grin:

JimJamBonds
09-02-2005, 12:00 AM
I to like the old celebration song but I see why they changed it do to the added planets that we see at the end ("Wesa free!!!!), one bit I wished they would now cut is the guy who plays the trooper helmets like drums. It fit a part in the old song and now it doesn't really fit and seems out of place.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-02-2005, 01:28 AM
I hate the Ewok song, I'm glad it's gone.

Lapti Nek on the other hand, I prefer that one to the new version.

But I do like Rappurtunie honkin' on that 'monica thing to get things started. :grin:

Both end celebration themes work for me, but removing Lapti Nek and replacing it with the other song was probably my least favorite thing about the Special Editions.

darthvyn
09-02-2005, 06:30 AM
when craig kilborn had a career (with his show on CBS) he had one of his writers do an acoustic version of the yub nub song. it was hysterical. i'll see if i can find a video of it. in the meantime here's an MP3

http://www.erwintang.com/mp3/kilborn-ewok.mp3

scruffziller
09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
when craig kilborn had a career (with his show on CBS) he had one of his writers do an acoustic version of the yub nub song. it was hysterical. i'll see if i can find a video of it. in the meantime here's an MP3

http://www.erwintang.com/mp3/kilborn-ewok.mp3

DANG DUDE THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!:D

I had my cigarette lighter out and was swaying back and forth.

El Chuxter
09-02-2005, 12:02 PM

I loves me some blues harp, but it don't fit on Tatooine.

2-1B
09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I loves me some blues harp, but it don't fit on Tatooine.

Neither do amphibious creatures like Rappertunie.

bobafrett
09-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Neither do amphibious creatures like Rappertunie.

Yes, he looks like something that would fit better in a muppet movie that in Jabba's palace, but Keith Richards on the other hand would blend right in!

JediTricks
09-03-2005, 03:13 AM
I to like the old celebration song but I see why they changed it do to the added planets that we see at the end ("Wesa free!!!!), one bit I wished they would now cut is the guy who plays the trooper helmets like drums. It fit a part in the old song and now it doesn't really fit and seems out of place.Yeah, that drumming that doesn't synch up bugs the crap out of me, something so little but I remember the first time I saw it, it was jarring, and this came after the silly Sarlacc beak and the awful Jedi Rocks bit so from big stuff to small...

JimJamBonds
09-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that drumming that doesn't synch up bugs the crap out of me, something so little but I remember the first time I saw it, it was jarring, and this came after the silly Sarlacc beak and the awful Jedi Rocks bit so from big stuff to small...

Maybe its the former drummer in me but that really bugs me, more so then that beak, which in and of itself does a pretty good job of getting me mad.

2-1B
09-03-2005, 12:47 PM
The Sarlaac beak aka Audrey III

Rocketboy
09-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I thought I heard "Feed me!" in the background noise.

tagmac
09-03-2005, 11:26 PM
I guess Lucas didn't like the Freudian allusions to his divorce, so he figured adding the beak would take away from that. Unfortunately, he made it look worse and completely fake-looking, especially the parts where Barada and Boba are eaten. Speaking of which, the beak mysteriously disappears during the burp scene. :rolleyes:

kool-aid killer
09-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I never disliked the original Ewok celebration song, nothing like seeing a bunch of furry teddy bears get crunk. I liked seeing the translation that was posted earlier in the thread, makes sense to me.

Joh Yowza makes me mad, he just seems so off the top and unlikely. I wish Jabba would have dumped him instead of the lovely Oola.

JediTricks
09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
The Sarlaac beak aka Audrey III
Ha! I just got that Sarlaac spelling, it's a sarlacc clone! :D (Thank you Timothy Zahn and your pre-prequel EU clones having extra vowels in their names).

Don't forget KAK, Joh Yowzah and the new Sy Snootles also break the 4th wall for the only time in SW history as well, stupid lame crap. (Ok, ANH Boba Fett does too, but that's minor in comparison... damn the SEs suck!)

Slicker
09-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Don't forget KAK, Joh Yowzah and the new Sy Snootles also break the 4th wall for the only time in SW history as well, stupid lame crap. (Ok, ANH Boba Fett does too, but that's minor in comparison... damn the SEs suck!)Are you forgetting about Threepio and his "how typical" in ESB?

JediTricks
09-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Are you forgetting about Threepio and his "how typical" in ESB?
No, I never considered that one to be the same thing, 3PO complains throughout the film whether it's to himself or R2 or Chewie. Like "oh dear" or "This is suicide!" or "Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior; after all, I'm only trying to do my job and..." or "Oh, where is Artoo when I need him?" or "We're doomed!", lines like that are all over ESB. I think it's easier to write them off as not crossing the line because 3PO doesn't have eyes so you can't be sure if he's looking into the camera or not.

bobafrett
09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I see what you mean. Yes there was a noticable looking into the camera, I knew there was something that bothered me about that scene.

Slicker
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
No, I never considered that one to be the same thing, 3PO complains throughout the film whether it's to himself or R2 or Chewie.I read somewhere that that was indeed intended to be an instance of 3PO breaking the 4th wall. He also does it in AOTC with his "This is such a drag" and "I'm beside myself" comments. The last 2 sucked ***** but I like the ESB one.

JediTricks
09-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Could you find a source on that please? I'm very curious to know if that's the case.

BTW, how could the celebration song have words? The ewok language isn't a real language, it's based on the sounds of some Chinese language, doesn't even have a cohesive language key the way Huttese does.

darthvyn
09-06-2005, 07:02 AM
yeah, but when wicket says "eee chewawa!" you know sumpin' baaads goin' down!

Slicker
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Could you find a source on that please? I'm very curious to know if that's the case.It just came to me. It was in an old issue of Star Wars Insider (which I know you don't get anymore). I believe it was in the ESB commerative issue. If I remember I'll check it out when I go home next week.

CaptainSolo1138
09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
That is where you saw that about Threepio.

Keeping on topic, I liked the old Ewok song. And Lapti Nek was soooooo much better than that Muppet Show skit they threw in in the SE.

nothing like seeing a bunch of furry teddy bears get crunk....and there's nothing like reading that line with a mouthful of coffee and somehow avoiding to ruin your monitor lol

JediTricks
09-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Hmm, well I'll have to see the article, the Insider has been known to editorialize their articles... from time to time. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Having only seen the original versions after seeing the SEs multiple times, I must say that I like the new Ewok song better. It really helps bring the whole saga to a close, and makes it emotional, instead of what was really not much more than a teddy bears' picnic in the original version.

I also like the beak better than the giant p***y, even though I do think the beak could use some touch-up in a future edition.

I hate the CG on Joh and Sy, but I like the new song better than the old one. I guess Jabba just likes that kind of music. :D