PDA

View Full Version : A detail Lucas missed: Threepio's leg

El Chuxter
09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Lucas has always said that in the OT, C-3PO had a silver leg to establish that the character had a long history of being patched up.

But in ROTS, he's fully golden.

Based on what we see on screen, meaning the Droids cartoons and comics don't count, there's no reasonable explanation for this.

He was built by Anakin, completed by Shmi, refurbished by Padme, and then spent the rest of his "life" prior to ANH in the employment of Bail and Antilles.

I know the Royal House of Alderaan wasn't so broke they couldn't patch up a busted leg with a matching part. So what gives?

2-1B
09-02-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm glad they didn't address this in ROTS. The less Threepio, the better, and they used the proper restraint in keeping him offscreen for the most part in ROTS. All things considered, I'd say ROTS is my favorite Threepio vehicle in the entire saga. :)

I don't know why GLu didn't address it. :confused: One guess might be that he just said forget it, we're not going to show it afterall. He took the whole "patched up" thing to an extreme in AOTC so maybe he moved on from the idea ? :confused:

Lord Malakite
09-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Well we know from C-3PO's conversation with Luke about the carbon scoring on R2 that they have seen a lot of action. Since 3PO had his memory wiped at the end of ROTS this means all this action he knows happened has to take place between the 20 year gap of ROTS and ANH. Sometime in there 3PO's leg could have been damaged, and being in a time of war between the Rebels and Empire resources could have been too scarce to worry about replacing a fancy protocol droid's 24k gold leg, so they made due with what they had.

Elliejabbapop
09-02-2005, 04:33 PM
That seems to be the most reasonable explaination.

Slicker
09-02-2005, 06:08 PM
That does seem like a plausible explination LM.

El Chuxter
09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Howsabout if we saw lava damage his leg on Mustafar, then maybe a quick shot of the Pollis Massans patching him up?

In lieu of that, though, your explanation works quite well. :p

Rocketboy
09-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Howsabout if we saw lava damage his leg on Mustafar, then maybe a quick shot of the Pollis Massans patching him up?But over the course of twenty years wouldn't someone say "Hey, you should probably fix that silver leg. He's looking pretty ghetto."

2-1B
09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
"And his mama cried (and his mama cried)
for if there's one thing that she don't need,
it's another silvery leg to shine in the ghetto (in the ghetto)."

JimJamBonds
09-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the song there Darth Presley. I never really noticed that 3PO was all gold, as was said before I'd take it that in the 20 or so years when he was cruising around there were some 'situations' that required some quick patching together thus his look in ANH.

JediTricks
09-03-2005, 03:16 AM
My guess: Antilles was a cheapskate and an embezzeler, took the money the Alderaanian people sent him to upkeep the droids and spent it on cheap booze and floozies.

That silver leg thing was supposedly going to be addressed in Ep 2, but got scrapped when the scene got rewritten. Bugs the crap out of me, just 1 more little weird thing that does.

Slicker
09-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I recall hearing somewhere that when we first see Threepio in AOTC he's supposed to just be a skeleton still and through the movie he gets his coverings and that's how the silver leg comes to be. As you said just another thing to bug you.

JEDIpartner
09-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Why do we need to see this on screen. Jeez! can't something happen off-screen and we just accept it??!!!

I'm sure they knew what they were doing. I know I don't need to be spoon-fed all the little nuances of a character.

JimJamBonds
09-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I recall hearing somewhere that when we first see Threepio in AOTC he's supposed to just be a skeleton still and through the movie he gets his coverings and that's how the silver leg comes to be. As you said just another thing to bug you.

I believe it was Padme who was going to put the coverings on 3PO while Anakin was out looking for his mother. Personally I think its a good idea we didn't see that. Why you ask? That would have meant that 3PO was tooling around in the desert exposed to the elements for 10 years. Which at least to me does not make very much sense. Look how much he complains about the sand in ANH and he is apparently surviving in that same enviroment for a period several thousand times longer sans coverings with no problems? No way.

Rocketboy
09-03-2005, 10:39 AM
They did film the scene where Padme gives threepio his coverings in the Lars garage. As you may remember, you can even see some the behind the scenes footage of it on the pre-AOTC release of the OT VHS trilogy.
When George decided he needed to trim things down a bit he decided to change it and have Threepio already have his coverings, the footage of Anakin and Padme arriving at the Lars homestead where they meet the skeletal Threepio was already shot, so they filmed Anthony Daniels on a blue screen and dropped him into those scenes. If you look closely, you can kind of tell he was dropped in.

I was disappointed when we didn't get to see it in the deleted scenes on the AOTC DVD. Maybe someday we will.

And this change was made fairly late, that's why the coverings come off of the AOTC Threepio figure.

Slicker
09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
So they deleted a quite important part of the Star Wars saga but then added the droid factory scenes? Boy, that was a fair trade. :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
09-03-2005, 01:32 PM
So they deleted a quite important part of the Star Wars saga but then added the droid factory scenes? Boy, that was a fair trade. :rolleyes:

Not to mention they dropped what I think was some good stuff (were we meet Paders family) in exchange for that droid factory crap.

Rocketboy
09-03-2005, 03:13 PM
So they deleted a quite important part of the Star Wars saga but then added the droid factory scenes? Boy, that was a fair trade. Yeah, but it makes much more sense the way it is now.
As JJB2 said:

Personally I think its a good idea we didn't see that. Why you ask? That would have meant that 3PO was tooling around in the desert exposed to the elements for 10 years. Which at least to me does not make very much sense. Look how much he complains about the sand in ANH and he is apparently surviving in that same enviroment for a period several thousand times longer sans coverings with no problems? No way.

Not to mention they dropped what I think was some good stuff (were we meet Paders family) in exchange for that droid factory crap.The stuff with her family should not have been cut. Yeah, it may have slowed the movie down a bit, but it was pretty good stuff.