PDA

View Full Version : Droid Deactivation

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2005, 01:38 PM
After Vader tells Palpatine that the separatists have been wiped out, he is told to send a deactivation signal to the droid control ships, or something like that. However, he gets sidetracked when Padmé arrives, leaving no time for him to give the signal. So what happened to the droids? I know that in the novel they did it themselves when Order 66 happened, but that's stupid and obviously didn't happen.

Slicker
09-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I would have to think that without any orders from a control point they droids would just shut down like in TPM. They can't think independently so there would be no point in them going rogue and doing there own thing.

Or mayhaps Palps or one of the clones gave the deactivation order when they arrived on Mustafar to pick up Anakin.*shrugs*

Elliejabbapop
09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Or mayhaps Palps or one of the clones gave the deactivation order when they arrived on Mustafar to pick up Anakin.*shrugs*

That's an interesting theory, I hadn't thought about that (or about the whole droid problem for that matter, good one JJL :thumbsup: ).

2-1B
09-03-2005, 02:30 PM
I think it's just the fast paced editing, it can't take long to issue this order. Vader probably slipped it in after he saw Padme's ship approaching. She hadn't even landed yet and so that took some more time. We see Vader notice the ship on the screen and then boom she's landing and he's running out to meet her. Just some editing to move from scene to scene, I don't think he saw the ship and immediately ran out in "real time" with what we saw.

JimJamBonds
09-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Like Caesar said its the quick pace editing, I'm willing to bet that Vader sent that signal. If it wasn't sent I think the droids would keep fighting the clones since they were never told to stop what they were doing.

Rocketboy
09-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
We didn't see Anakin wiping out more than a handful of Jedi but we still assume be killed quite a few.

trandoshan666
09-04-2005, 12:10 AM
This is interesting, because I thought about this during a few of my viewings. Initially, I also assumed this was a matter of editing, but I also thought Palpatine could easily have taken care of it himself.
Given the circumstances of the situation prior to his arrival on Mustafar (he sensed that Vader was in trouble), it would be logical to assume that he might have doublechecked Vader's work with respect to the droid order. Even if he didn't initially do that, he probably would have known pretty quickly that the droids were still functioning, and would have taken care of matters then.

kool-aid killer
09-04-2005, 11:34 AM
So what was done with all the surplus droids? I know the Spider Droids were used to break down Seperatist strongholds, but after that? What happened to the thousands upon thousands of battle droids, super battle droids, and droidekas? I imagine the signal to deactivate the droids was within the Mustafar compound, given how it was the final hiding place and if the leaders were to be caught they would have to have a way to stop their end of the fighting.

JimJamBonds
09-04-2005, 01:56 PM
So what was done with all the surplus droids? I know the Spider Droids were used to break down Seperatist strongholds, but after that? What happened to the thousands upon thousands of battle droids, super battle droids, and droidekas? I imagine the signal to deactivate the droids was within the Mustafar compound, given how it was the final hiding place and if the leaders were to be caught they would have to have a way to stop their end of the fighting.

Thrown on the scrap heap I'd guess and melted down to be made into ships, guns, buildings etc. Thats alot of metal just sitting there that I'd guess would be used. Otherwise you have an 'army' thats just sitting there that could be activated and used fairly easily.

JediTricks
09-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Maybe Palps, being the ultimate galactic puppetmaster and true powerbase behind both sides of the war, had a master kill-switch for all the battle droids.

Slicker
09-05-2005, 12:01 AM
This is true JT. He implanted the Order 66 into the clones so why not a sort of suicide order 66 for the droids.

JimJamBonds
09-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Good call JT, I'm sure Palps had some sort of emergency control over those droids if the you know what hit the fans.

Darth Jax
09-05-2005, 10:10 PM
all those droids standing around motionless, just waiting for orders after anakin deactivates them. you'd think ADT would be out collecting them, giving them a simply security program algorithm and selling them to the wealthy the galaxy over.

JimJamBonds
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
all those droids standing around motionless, just waiting for orders after anakin deactivates them. you'd think ADT would be out collecting them, giving them a simply security program algorithm and selling them to the wealthy the galaxy over.

I'm not so sure about that, there had to have been houndreds of thousands maybe even millions of droids so I don't think they'd be just sold off as security droids. Palpy wanted all the power for himself and having those droids work in a security function would be keeping an army 'out there' and in a position to fight when Palps wants all the power for himself.

El Chuxter
09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
One of the ROTS books (I think the Visual Dictionary) says that the Empire uses the Dwarf Spider Droids for some time, but doesn't address the other bazillion droids who probably just conked out at one time.

But any form of combat or assassin droid is supposed to be outlawed by the time of the OT.

JediTricks
09-06-2005, 11:20 PM
One more thought, the droid armies could easily be blamed for what happened, and perhaps battle droids from then on were outlawed as a scapegoat.

I think the TPM reference books said they fell into disuse because the events on Naboo showed that they were inferior, but the later prequels argue that I think.

Slicker
09-07-2005, 06:43 AM
I also recall reading that after the battle of Naboo the Nabooians people of Naboo used what battle droids that were left and what vehicles that remained for the beginnings of there army. So I would imagine that whatever droids remained and happened to be deactivated were used by whatever planet they were on for various reasons.

seanmcfripp
09-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I think the scene is there more or less to show that the war is officially over. How it gets done isn't really too important, just as long as it's acknowledged. Better to keep the pace of the movie up than to get bogged down in little expositional details like that. It's just the last cog in the Separatist war machine: Dooku is dead, Grievous is dead, the political leaders are dead, oh, and by the way, let's deactivate their army. If Ani doesn't do it, not too far of stretch to imagine someone else taking care of it.

I never even really thought about it until now. Doesn't bother me, but I could see how it might stick in someone's craw. That's the fun of talking about something you love...we get to beat the heck out of the dead horses that are the little details in these movies. I love it!

CaptainSolo1138
09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
What happened to the thousands upon thousands of battle droids, super battle droids, and droidekas?
Tycho bought them all for army building purposes.

Slicker
01-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Tycho bought them all for army building purposes.burrrrrnnnn. got u gud u arme bulder!