PDA

View Full Version : The End of the X-Files just announced.

JEDIpartner
01-17-2002, 07:54 AM
Well... that's the end of that. For those of us who hung on until the end and those of you who let it go long before, it's over in May. Fox just announce in a wire announcement at 8:30am EST that the show will not continue without Gillian Anderson's presence as Agent Scully. Plans for a couple X-Files films are in the works and David Duchovny has agreed to starring in these films should they be made.

Just thought I'd let you know.

2-1B
01-17-2002, 10:35 AM
I have never followed the show, but a good friend is one of those who hung on like you did. Thanks for the update.

Would Gillian Anderson consider doing the films?

JEDIpartner
01-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Gillian has also expressed an interest in reprising her role as Agent Dana Scully for the films. No word on whether Robert Patrick or Annabeth Gish will also be in the films. I, for one, really liked them both so I hope they WILL be in the films as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I've asked SirSteve to have this moved to the general discussions section as I inadvertently posted it here this morning)

SWAFMAN
01-17-2002, 03:07 PM
chirs carter calls it quits for x-files (http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/bpihw/20020116/en/_x-files_wrapping_in_may_after_9_seasons_out_there_1. html)

FLASHBACK: Dec. 2001 - SSG Forummers predict end of x-files series (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=23946#post23946)
"...It really seems like they've all been told this is the last season and they've given up any pretense of caring about how well they do their jobs until then."

Mike Troxell
01-17-2002, 04:22 PM
Chris Carter is a jerkhead! :cry:

I still love the Mulderless X-Files, and I'm sure I would've loved them Scullyless too. I've embraced Dogget and Reyes! And I love that Annabelle Gish! How dare they take her away now? DARN THEM! DARN THEM ALL TO HECK!

We'll never have the conspiracy fully explained. I heard somewhere recently that the movies would be based on a "monster" story, i.e. Fluke Man instead of the good stuff.

Blah blah blah. It's not like I didn't see this coming, but I hoped it wouldn't happen. It was a good run, and I hope that soulless bastard Duchovney makes a surprise appearance on the finale. He won't though.

derek
01-17-2002, 04:46 PM
mike troxell,

i too love the show, but i'm starting to think it is time for the series to end. this is coming from a guy who has the first four seasons on dvd and watches the re-runs on FX daily. i just don't like the "super soldier" avenue this show has been heading down. i like dogget and reyes, and over all the show has been well written, but i think over the course of a few films they could wrap up the alien conspiracy and colinization issues we've all been waiting on. i don't think chris carter will leave us hanging. and now they won't have to explain scullys absence next season like they've had to work around mulders dissaperance.

chris carter has said he would like the x-files to become a film franchise, and i would guess if this happens, some of the movies would be of the "thriller" variety. but first they need to complete the conspiracy. carter has hinted at what the colinization will be like. he said everyone is expecting an invasion ala ID4, but he says it will be different.

so, don't get mad. watch the re-runs, and get the dvd's. the x-files will live on in syndication.

bigbarada
01-17-2002, 05:16 PM
I always figured the X-Files would be like Twin Peaks. It was never intended for the murder of the Peaks' girl to be solved. So I figured X-Files was basically the same, the alien conspiracy thing was never intended to be revealed. Thus adding to the mystique of the show.

Mike Troxell
01-17-2002, 05:43 PM
BB, being a huge Twin Peaks fan, I appreciate your comment. I love TP oh so very much. While it does add to the mystique of the show, the revelation of the murderer was not only a very well done scene but left so many strings loose that TP fans are still talking about it today (see www.twinpeaksgazette.com if you don't believe me :) Their forum has some VERY analytical stuff going on).

And while the X-Files mystique was cool for a while, it's 8 or so years later and I'd really like to see some closure. Call me closed-minded.

bigbarada
01-17-2002, 05:58 PM
I can see how not having closure could make you feel like a dog chasing his tail.:D My thought is, if the conspiracy was laid out and planned from the beginning then go ahead and reveal it. If they were just making it up as they went then it is probably too convoluted by now to make any sense. I haven't watched the show in years since I missed a whole season while in Bosnia and was never able to catch up. So, in reality, it makes little difference to me.

JediTricks
01-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Good riddance to bad rubbish! I'm sorry, but I cannot stand Annabelle Gish as Agent Monica Reyes, IMO, this character drags the show down hard and fast every time she's on screen. I liked Doggett and I liked Doggett & Scully together, but once they threw Reyes into the equation... phooey! I blame the writers for putting such a bland, vanilla, poorly-thought-out character into the mix. And since I haven't been keeping up, I can't figure out why Terry O'Quinn plays a THIRD X-files character (fourth if you count his character on Millennium which was in the same universe as the X-files), does this guy live on the X-files soundstage or something? I know he works on other shows, so what the hell? It's not like he's a generic-looking or -acting guy either!

Bah! I say it is one season too late, the show should have died before Scully's current search for Mulder.

GNT
01-18-2002, 12:46 AM
I'm glad the series has come to an end,I've been a fan since the start but the series has been going downhill since dogget arrived

I guess we wont be seeing the upcoming x-files figures now?

SWAFMAN
01-18-2002, 06:57 PM
just within the minute, FOX News quoted Chris Carter as saying he is trying to get Duchovny back for the ending show(s) to tie up all the loose ends in the storyline.