PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wheels Rev-Ups

Ji'dai
09-04-2005, 02:18 PM
I just got a new Hot Wheels car in the mail! Yeah, I know... Hot Wheels - lil' toy cars sought after by pot-bellied old dudes that are the bane of Star Wars collectors everywhere since they often snatch up our stuff.

So anyhoo, I got hooked on Frosted Mini-Wheats (good dry as a snack) during the SW food promos. Well, their promotion now is for these Hot Wheels Rev-Ups with Cartoon Network characters on 'em. You get a free car with 4 UPCs.

Now I was expecting some regular rev-up racer, which is not really that exciting. But when my car finally came I was surprised at what it can do. It has the rev-up motion and the car isn't really that fast, but the cool thing is that it has magnets in the chassis, which allow it to cling to any steel surface. So the car can go vertically up and down the refridgerator and even upside down. The car even came with a 13" piece of track that has a strip of metal down the center so you can twist the track any which way and the magnetic car will stick to it.

Anyway, I thought it was neat. There are six different cars; I got Scooby-Doo and just sent away for a Johnny Bravo car.

JediTricks
09-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I love magnetic toys and Rev-Ups are cool. I didn't buy any of the first series of 'em though, but my mom bought one. I did however buy one of the newer Rev-Ups Speed Shifters, where you can push down on the top of the vehicle while it's rolling and it'll go from slow and torquey to fast. If I had 1 complaint about these, it's that Mattel doesn't give you enough track and there seems to be no way to buy just more magna-track on its own (I mean, how many times can you drive this thing up and down the fridge? ;)) - when the complaint is "I can't find a way to buy more stuff for it", that's a good toy. :yes: :D Also, I like that you can swap the bodies between all the Rev-ups, I think some of the older sets which you could probably find on clearance now came with multiple bodies.

The carded ones MSRP for $5 at Target, even more at TRU, but routinely the big red bullseye has 'em on sale for $3.50 which is the perfect price. The track/playsets are more and look like a rip-off to me.

Ji'dai
09-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I had no idea they had magnets in them at all. I took it out of the mailer box and revved it up but it didn't go very fast. Then I re-read the cereal box and discovered they could run along steel surfaces.

I have mine on the fridge now. Mine has rounded corners and the car will go around from the front to the sides, and the big tires enable it to bridge the gap between door and unit. Pretty cool.

I did get a coupon for the Speed Shifters and I checked out the Rev-Ups selection at WM and TRU today. Looked like the individual cars come with one piece of 13" track and the bigger set comes with five track pieces. I doubt I'll buy any of these, so I'll make do with the freebies I got from the cereal company.

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 08:59 PM
If you want to give your cat fits. Get it chasing on the floor and then horizontal on the fridge. Then run it vertical and watch the cat A. try and jump to grab it and the failing sit for 20 min waiting for it to move or come down. Ok I admit I have a slightly brain challenged cat.

Ji'dai
10-07-2005, 07:34 PM
If you want to give your cat fits. Get it chasing on the floor and then horizontal on the fridge. Then run it vertical and watch the cat A. try and jump to grab it and the failing sit for 20 min waiting for it to move or come down. Ok I admit I have a slightly brain challenged cat. Sounds like it. If I had such a critter I wouldn't let him in the house let alone near my precious toys :D