PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Figures are up on the official site

Darth Ludicrous
01-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Let the bloodletting begin...

2-1B
01-17-2002, 11:27 AM
I'm not too sure about the Spidey web slingin' Mace Windu . . .

jedi-cpa
01-17-2002, 11:42 AM
for me to take my cash and complete my vintage collection and POTF lines before I ever purchase an Episode II line.

The Jango Fett is the closest to being OK.

JEDIpartner
01-17-2002, 12:04 PM
"Oh, my...!"

...and you know he never said that when it was something good. There they all are... standing spread-eagle again. What is going on here?? I guess Habro didn't learn from the tireless supply of Deluxe Mauls, Obi-Wans and Qui-Gons that were being clearanced off for two years after TPM came out that the "lever-that-does-stuff" thing doesn't really work. As a kid (and as an adult), I just used my hands to simulate the "battle flips". Oh, well. I have a feeling the Jango is gonna be one of those figures where the stuff doesn't stay on him while you are playing with it. The Mace Windu looks like he is giving the battle droid a "Force crotch shampoo"... according to one of my co-workers.

I'm passing on the Deluxe line and collecting some of the regular ones. Sigh... how sad for me. :cry: I really used to enjoy seeing and getting the new figures. These just leave me going --> :eek: :confused:

pthfnder89
01-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Hm... I was actually going to say that so far, this is the first "collection" Hasbro has announced where I will probably buy all the figures.

They look pretty good to me, and the only "action pose" that I think REALLY doesn't work is Obi-Wan doing the splits. There's just no reason for him to be standing like that when he's not really doing anything else. :rolleyes:

Dooku and Mace and the Battle Droid all look really good to me, even if the are posed, at least the poses look like something a real human could actually do.

P.S. I also thought it was interesting that this is the first indication I've seen that Ep1 Battle Droids will appear in AOTC. Of course, I've been trying to avoid be spoilers so this probably isn't very big news to most of you.

InsaneJediGirl
01-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Orginally Posted by Caesar
I'm not too sure about the Spidey web slingin' Mace Windu . . .

Yep,it sure does look like something from SpiderMan..only..worse.(Hey,I have some old Spidey figs,They're great!!)

Whats with Obi-Wan and Dooku?Not good at all,considering they
probably stay in that one pose!! :mad:

Jango looks ok...might get him :confused:

Orginally Posted by JEDIpartnr
I really used to enjoy seeing and getting the new figures. These just leave me going --> :eek: :confused:

I totally agree with you JEDIpartnr.

Fulit
01-17-2002, 12:30 PM
Why, oh why is Count Dooku knock-kneed? Look at him, he looks retarded. Why would they make his knees turn in like that? To mess with us?

INDIANA
01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
...and the "Spread 'em for the full-body cavity search" line goes on IN-SPITE of our COMBINED protests. (Really, we are at , what 96 days until we can buy the things. There's not much they can do.) WHY ARE THEY ALL DOING THE SPLITS!??!?!? Unless, of course, they all really do look like this in the movie and these are the most accurate looking firgures ever. Anyone think of THAT or did we all just jump to the conclusion the HASBLO screwed up again!

Can anyone tell me who got the license rights to make Enterprise figures?

LOTR figures look cool to.........

Spiderman.....(wait....is Mace Windu actually FROM that line?)

Fulit
01-17-2002, 12:59 PM
Which do you think is worse, Jango's "kick me in the jimmy" stance or Mace Wind's Crotch Lightning? Either way it all seems to involve groin.

Lman316
01-17-2002, 01:26 PM
What I'm hoping - but I still doubt very much - is that these figures all have the joints to have their legs placed in that stance. I don't really know what that joint is called, but it's like the joint that the Classic Spider-Man has. If they have that, we could just move the legs back to a normal position. But, like I said, I doubt that very much...

snakeplkn
01-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Finally a Jango Fett worth buying, he seems to be the best figure shown so far. I wonder if he'll have a removable helmet.

Mace Windu is a tossup, he looks like he's about to break out with the song "Stop in the name of love." Dooku needs a chiropractor while Obi-Wan is about to perform his best Michael Jackson grab impersonation.

Hasbro, stop giving us figures that look like they are practicing for the US Olympic gymnastic team!

Snake Plissken
“A little human compassion”

chewie
01-17-2002, 01:40 PM
That supposed to be force lightning shooting out from Mace's wrist?

JEDIpartner
01-17-2002, 01:44 PM
No, Chewie... I think it's supposed to be a Force Push. :(

Lman316... I think you are talking about those ball & socket-type joints. I really don't see that happening for these figures. That would also entail having similar type joints in the feet so they could stand in a different position. I don't think that would happen. :(

:( +:( =:cry:

INDIANA
01-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Dose Hasblo so seriously doubt the sales of E2 toys that they all have Olympic and Spiderman tie-ins to boost sales? Can't you take off the new Green Goblin's armor too?

Jargo
01-17-2002, 02:09 PM
?????????? edited away.....

Fulit
01-17-2002, 02:11 PM
What kind of dirty fighter Force Pushes someone in the crotch? Ouch.

Darth Evil
01-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Sigh, I knew they'd butcher Dooku, why are they all doing the splits? I hope they have enough articulation so that we can put them in normal poses!

Obehave Kenobi
01-17-2002, 02:35 PM
I really didn't think they looked that bad. I mean they could be worse. Mace's legs are actually posed pretty well. If only it weren't for his arms. I'm more tempted to buy this Obi Wan than the other because it doesn't look like he has magnets in his hands. And as for Jango, He'd be about the best main character so far if it weren't for that Rocket pack being too damn big.

JediCole
01-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Yes, it seems that Hasbro is doing me a favor with the initial AOTC line. I am going to save a bundle at first. It may not seem obvious to most, but Hasbro has engineered collector demand for resculpts. By making the initial releases of the core characters, both standard and deluxe, so terrible, we will not only want to buy the toned-down resculpts, we will be BEGGING for them! Frankly, I have no doubt that we will see later resculpted versions of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and the Count amoung others. I mean, look how (comparatively) dull the female Tusken Raider is in regard to its sculpt. Who's going to want a resculpt on that? So it is more akin to what we want, no gimics, no splayed legs. The core characters are so in need of resculpts before they have even been released that we can almost be assured that in a year or less that acceptable versions will be released.
If you are curious about what Hasbro is thinking, the answer is simple. Hasbro has ceased to think! Just look at the Jurassic Park III line! Some of the best sculpts of dinos ever, ruined by the insistance of having "Dino Damage" on each figure. I am a dinosaur nut from birth and would have bought many of the new figures, but for that one detracting feature. Thusly the entire line cloggs shelves to this very day. Hasbro is buying wholeheartedly into the modern, "electronic", kids want their imaginations spoon-fed to them mentality that has begun to seep into the toy executive mainstream. All I can say is thank goodness Star Wars (and the Kenner toys) came out 20 years ago when inarticulate toy soldiers were the norm and the action figure (with no gimics) was a wonderful step up, and perhaps as far as it needed to go.

Obehave Kenobi
01-17-2002, 02:42 PM
I just took a better look at the picture of the deluxe figures. And on second thought, I WILL NOT buy that Obi wan either. Still on the fence about Jango, though

AmanaMatt
01-17-2002, 03:11 PM
sounds like I'm going to have a real easy time finding what I want come the release day of these new figures. I've never read such dislike aimed at an entire line like this before. I thought everything looks pretty cool except the giant Jango backpack!

Beast
01-17-2002, 03:22 PM
I actually have to say that these look pretty good to me. Definatly much better then I was expecting after seeing the collection 1 stuff. I'm definatly buying one of each of these. Can't wait for April 22nd. :)

Jango is a nice figure, to bad about the size of the rocket pack, but they do have to sacrifice size for to fit missles or a soundchip, whatever is the feature on him. The removable armor is a great feature, hope the helmet comes off as well.

Mace is great, sure he looks like he's from the spider-man line, but I'm sure the force push play feature is removable, slap a lightsaber into his left hand and he looks ready for business. Plus I'm always up for a better sculpted basic Battle droid for my ranks.

Obi-Wan looks good, much better looking then the collection 1 figure. I don't mind the wide fighting stance on this one, because if you saw E1, he does stand like that when he fights.

Count Dooku, I think he looks ok. The leg stance looks a little odd, but the count is one of the main baddies, so I am sure we'll get a a better posed re-sculpt in the future. After all, remember how many Maul's we got. I think he looks fine though, perfect match up for the deluxe Obi-Wan figure.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
01-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Disappointment is the word that springs to mind. If they hike up the prices on these muppet creations Hasbro will have a collectors' mutiny on their hands.

Why does everything have to be overdone?:confused: :(

Lord Tenebrous
01-17-2002, 03:34 PM
When I was a kid, I had some of the vinyl Godzilla characters. I must have sounded like a freak, having Big G battle a T-Rex while I was going "Rrrrrrawwwwllll!"

Kids should be freaks more often. If you use your CommTech reader to make lightsaber and blaster sounds, you're missing out on some of the fun.

And, I hate to say this...most of the AOTC stuff so far doesn't look fun. Actually, Hasbro stuff in general seems to have taken a cold turn in the past months.

JonoFett
01-17-2002, 03:39 PM
If these latest figures are aimed at kids, then why does Hasbro fervently believe a young child would want to play with the figure of an old man, villian or otherwise. No offence intended, Chris! As if he's stalking these boards:)

CrossWizard
01-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Oh great, they forgot to show the Speeder Bikes. Wait a sec, those figures arent Speeder Bikes pack-ins.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

OC47150
01-17-2002, 04:46 PM
The comments some of you guys are using to describe the new figures are cracking me up!

Spidey-web Mace!
Crotch stance Dooku (Remember: Christopher Lee is 80).

The Jango Fett figure does look coolest.

derek
01-17-2002, 05:29 PM
fulit,

in answer to your dooku question regarding his knocked knees, chris lee is EIGHTY YEARS OLD!:D we're lucky he's not fighting obi wan with a walker, oxygen mask, and i.v. drip.:) now wouldn't those be some cool accessories?

on a positive note, hopefully obi-wan's and dooku's bases will connect and the rock-em sock-em jedi wars can commence.(that was scarcism) :cry:

Beast
01-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by derek
fulit,
in answer to your dooku question regarding his knocked knees, chris lee is EIGHTY YEARS OLD!:D we're lucky he's not fighting obi wan with a walker, oxygen mask, and i.v. drip.:) now wouldn't those be some cool accessories?
on a positive note, hopefully obi-wan's and dooku's bases will connect and the rock-em sock-em jedi wars can commence.(that was scarcism) :cry:

I know your just making fun of Christopher Lee, but might wanna do a little research first. For one, I thought he did an excellent job as Saruman the White in LOTR's. He definatly showed for a man in his late 70's at the time, he still could act and move pretty well.

Christopher Lee in a recent interview said that he's in top health for his age, and that he swims and works out daily. I definatly buy him in Episode II fighting with a lightsaber, and I can't wait to see the movie.

Remeber, Vader wasn't flashy with his saber either, and I expect that Dooku will be well skilled, and know how to handle himself. I prefer a more elegant saber fight like we saw in the OT, and I am sure Christopher Lee can deliver that to us.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
01-17-2002, 06:11 PM
but, those were stunt doubles for chris lee and gandalf in LOTR, just like a stunt double will be used for probably 85% of count dookus saber scenes. they super-imposed neesons and mc gregors faces onto stunt doubles for some of the fight scenes in E1, so you gotta know old man lee ain't fighting anyone.:crazed:

i did my research. i saw LOTR three times and watched the 1975 film "creeping death" starring count dooku and grand moff tarkin.
i am an expert on all things chris lee. i even told metallica to use the tilte "creeping death" for one of their songs. i know everything. i am everything. i am all powerful. i just drank 12 diet cokes.

JonoFett
01-17-2002, 06:23 PM
I read very recently that Christopher Lee is a member of several stuntman unions and is an expert swordsman. Some have commented that his style is akin to fencing, whereas Gillard has followed strongly the discipline of kendo for the other main characters' action sequences.

Fulit
01-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by JonoFett
I read very recently that Christopher Lee is a member of several stuntman unions and is an expert swordsman. Some have commented that his style is akin to fencing, whereas Gillard has followed strongly the discipline of kendo for the other main characters' action sequences.

Yeah, and he's not knock-kneed! :D

JonoFett
01-17-2002, 06:42 PM
You're not wrong!:D

mabudonicus
01-17-2002, 06:50 PM
In my town, those battle matic figures from TPM are still available; it's funny to see them mentioned as I laugh every time I see them. Jango looks pretty cool, actually, I think. The thing that bugged me the most was that ridiculous blurb accompanying the pics. WHO was that written for? Do parents rush to SW.com as soon as somethings posted, just to stay in touch with what their kids really want these days?? Yeah right. Hasbro must know who would be checking these out, and it kind of hurts to see exactly what they think of us. How about "Hasbro will love storing millions of unsold deluxe figures, and the collectors will be thrilled to walk out of their local stores with their hard earned cash intact. Stockboys, too, will love the way their SW sections stay pristine. All around an exciting time for SW ." I'm sure there'll be good figures eventually, but that damm blurb..... And stop picking on Lee!! He's not a spry youngster, but then the actors playing hobbits weren't munchkins either, but see how they looked? About the only problem I have with him is the name"count dooku". Sounds like a limp biscuit(sic) album title. Woooo!!!

bigbarada
01-17-2002, 07:47 PM
(sigh)

All I can say after seeing these figures is, "Goodbye, Star Wars, it was fun while it lasted.":cry:

No midnight madness, no Ep2 collection, I am officially done with this hobby. Later.

INDIANA
01-17-2002, 08:05 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

BigBarada...you can't go!!!!!!

Where else will we get a female's perspective!!!!!

Plus I will feel really wierd if there are ONLY guys here!!!!

Where do you think I go to pick up chicks?

Wait....am I....in...a................basement? Typing to.....people I don't know.......complaining.....about.......toys??????

CrossWizard
01-17-2002, 08:34 PM
After seeing those figures and the ones before I think the budget I had been saving since last summer for the big Episode 2 figure shopping spree I was gonna take when the figures launched will remain untouched, probably only by $5-$6 since Im only going to pick up Magnet-Obi, and its not cause the figure is cool but because its my favorite character.

Fulit
01-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

BigBarada...you can't go!!!!!!

Where else will we get a female's perspective!!!!!

Plus I will feel really wierd if there are ONLY guys here!!!!

Where do you think I go to pick up chicks?

Wait....am I....in...a................basement? Typing to.....people I don't know.......complaining.....about.......toys??????

Um, I just looked at bigbarada's photo, and there's nothing feminine looking about him. Am I missing something?

derek
01-17-2002, 09:52 PM
big barada,

if you're quitting, can i have your password so i can assume your identity and have a huge post count. i'll catch GNT one way or another.:crazed:

Omega Fett
01-17-2002, 11:42 PM
man jango fett looks awsome but again his roket pack is alittle too big

GNT
01-18-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by derek
big barada,

if you're quitting, can i have your password so i can assume your identity and have a huge post count. i'll catch GNT one way or another.:crazed:

Sure you will Derek ;)

Well mace we could do without the Spiderman web thing :( ,They should fix Dookus legs(his going to fall wheres his walking cane....)and whats the point of Jango having removable armor?

Jayspawn
01-18-2002, 02:49 AM
What the? I can see the articulation is next to none on these figures. Here's my oppinion:

1. Count Dooku looks like a gimp. Bad pose.

2. Ob-Wan's likeness is terrible, no likeness to Ewan McGregor. Bad pose.

3. Mace WIndu w/ water squirting action. Oh yeah, bad pose.

4. Jango Fett has a bad pose. Looks ok, MIGHT (that a huge might) buy him.

jedibear
01-18-2002, 04:41 AM
....this assortment doesn't look so hot.
I agree with those who have brought up the fact that the EpOne deluxe figures never went anywhere...my local TRU still has a bunch on the clearancr racks. It makes one wonder if the team working on the AOTC line ever leaves the building and actually GOES into the stores. Sigh.

It's not the poses that get me, it's the wack accessories (poor Mace...what IS that wad supposed to be, anyway?).

Some folks'll shudder at this but it almost makes me yearn for those old commchips....at their worst, you at least got a figure stand out of it....

Queen Katharine Leah
01-18-2002, 09:01 PM
Hmmm...

I'll reserve judgment to buy when I see them April 22. Wait, who am I kidding? I have spent thousands of dollars on my collection, and I'm gonna quit cold turkey? I might as well give up sex too.

(ERRR, wait! Maybe I could improve my sex life if I wasn't reading forums on AOTC toys at 9PM on a Friday night...interesting...)

Let's face it. Hasbro is playing Jedi mind tricks on us. I will admit to being weak-minded when it comes to figures. I do have all the resculpts, everything open, posed on bookshelf after bookshelf. Sometimes I look at it and laugh at what an idiot I am. I only needed one ObiWan, the one with mega articulation in the arms so he can hold his lightsaber two handed, and I have the cloth robe from the accessory pack on him. Why couldn't they sell just that one???

I'm sure I will wait in line at midnight madness with plenty of you who are denying that you will buy any of this, and we will rush in together with the same frenzy that we did 3 years ago, and buy lots of stuff. I'm like a freakin addict. That's why I'm on this site all the time. AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! Oh my, I'm starting to freak out, starting to doubt my purpose in the world, staring to question my existence, starting to...

...Oh, the hot rod speeder looks great doesn't it? I hope figures can fit into it.

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

QKL

derek
01-18-2002, 09:10 PM
haven't seen you here in a while. i missed your goofy sence of humor. how's the radio business?

Paul-Kenobi
01-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JediCole

If you are curious about what Hasbro is thinking, the answer is simple. Hasbro has ceased to think! Just look at the Jurassic Park III line! Some of the best sculpts of dinos ever, ruined by the insistance of having "Dino Damage" on each figure. I am a dinosaur nut from birth and would have bought many of the new figures, but for that one detracting feature. Thusly the entire line cloggs shelves to this very day. Hasbro is buying wholeheartedly into the modern, "electronic", kids want their imaginations spoon-fed to them mentality that has begun to seep into the toy executive mainstream. All I can say is thank goodness Star Wars (and the Kenner toys) came out 20 years ago when inarticulate toy soldiers were the norm and the action figure (with no gimics) was a wonderful step up, and perhaps as far as it needed to go.

i am also a big Jurassic Park fan but if you ask any of the JP toy fans some dont agree with them they all have dino damage who would play with a wonded dinosaurs but in a way i love them all as for the AOTC i love them there extreamly cool

As for mace he isnt doing what spiderman dose his holding his arm out plam extended like obi-wan did in TPM and is fireing force lighting spiderman dose it the other way arm out plam extendid down.

PS can you remove the figures from the stands just cheeking ?

GNT
01-18-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Paul-Kenobi
PS can you remove the figures from the stands just cheeking ?

I believe you can :)

Paul-Kenobi
01-18-2002, 11:36 PM
Good other wise i wouldnt buy it.

by the way am i the only person on this fourm who is gona buy all of the AOTC fig's. Jedi Starfighter and Speeders ?

InsaneJediGirl
01-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Orginally Posted by Queen Katharine Leah
..Oh, the hot rod speeder looks great doesn't it? I hope figures can fit into it.

Nope Queen Katharine Leah.Hasbro will come out with some
crappy "exclusive" figures to fit in the hot rod speeder.

Darth Mojhaan
01-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Am I hearing everyone correctly? Sure, Hasbro is getting a bad rep, and all these so called fans are whinning like little children, even though most of the fans are in their mid-twenties. I love the figures! Some I will not buy, such as "this version of" Count Dooku. I remeber at the last midnight rush,(E1 figures) and when I look back those figures sucked. Sure, later on better versions were released, but it was a learning experiance. Give Hasbro a chance, I bet better things will come to those who wait!:p :p :p :p :p :p

Beast
01-21-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Nope Queen Katharine Leah.Hasbro will come out with some
crappy "exclusive" figures to fit in the hot rod speeder.

The new vehicles won't have pack-in "exclusive" figures, looks like Hasbro has dropped this, to save costs as well as stop all of us complaining about the low quality of the figure pack-ins. Expect there to be, like the E1 line a wave of resculpts that are able to sit in the vehicles.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks