PDA

View Full Version : HDTV and Video Games

Rogue II
09-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I just got a HDTV. I have Game Cube and PS2. Thiswebsite (http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm) has a list of HD compatible games. Is it worth the $15 to buy the HDTV cables for the game systems?

Also, if you click, you can sort the games by Game Title, 16:9, 480p, 720p, 1080i, Sound, and Online. I know 16:9 is the screen ratio, but what are the 480p, 720p, and 1080i?

Kidhuman
09-05-2005, 11:43 PM
I = interlaced which is normal scanning of tv, about 30 frames per second

P= progressive which is 60 frames per second, which is HDTV, a better picture.

They 1080, 720, 480 is the resolution, basically how many pixels and all.

Now from what I have heard the PS3 will have 2 1080i outputs on it.

Lord Malakite
09-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Pretty much what KH said. Normally I wouldn't go out of my way for something like this because to me the costs dosen't seem worth it just for a better picture. In your case though I'd say $15 would be well worth the investment if you already got the HDTV for it. Whats a few more bucks to the hundreds already spent. ;) Just to let you know in advance, only X-Box 360 and PS3 will be HDTV compatible of the new systems. Revolution will not be compatible because Nintendo thinks too much like me. :D

Captain Spoon
09-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Game Cube is only progressive scan and the PS2 can not put out true HD. the only True HD system is the X-Box

Rogue II
09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks, guys.

My parents decided to get a plasma screen TV, so they asked me if I wanted their wide-screen Toshiba, and it happened pretty quickly, so I didn't have much time to research the whole thing. (I so lucky sometimes). My DVD player has the HD jacks, but my stereo reciever doesn't. My wife was going to call DirectTV about upgrading to their HD package. So, I it is probably in my best interest get a new stereo reciever, right?

By the way, I watched Star Wars this weekend and it was good. :yes:

As far as the game cables go, one person I talked to said they were worth it, but the guy the game store said he had the cables and they didn't make much of a difference. It looks like I have about 10 or 12 games between GC and PS2 that support 480p. And, I just noticed Gran Turismo 4 is the only 1080i game on PS2...Looks like I might have to stop and get those cables on the way home tonight.

mrmiller
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
They make quite a bit of difference depending on what you are using now. If you are using the standard AV cables, it will be huge on all systems. The Xbox truly is impressive on widescreen mode with HD cables ( Try Halo 2 or Unreal Championship 2.)

=MATT=

scruffziller
09-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Come on over to my brother's house in his theatre room and play your vidjo games on his $8,000 101" HD projector with $1000 ultra contrast screen!!!!:thumbsup: I'll post pics when he gets it all finished.

Exhaust Port
09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
My DVD player has the HD jacks, but my stereo reciever doesn't. My wife was going to call DirectTV about upgrading to their HD package. So, I it is probably in my best interest get a new stereo reciever, right?

I put together a HDTV system for my parents 60th birthday and did quite a bit of research on this as well as help from a friend who's a TV technical director.

Don't bother with the HD(?) jacks on the DVD player. Your TV only has 1 input and you should use that for HD cable. Not to mention that DVD's aren't HD so why bother with the highend jack? Make sure you have a Progressive Scan DVD player and get some nice AV cables (not Monster though, there are other brands that are just as good for half the price).

HD jacks on your stereo receiver? You won't find any on any receiver since HD is Visual and stereo's only deal with Audio. You can purchase a receiver that has an Optical input that you can run to/from your DVD player (if it has one). But all that is a moot point if you don't have some killer speakers. The Receiver will be the cheap purchase if you are really trying to take full advantage of the Optical output of the DVD player. I would just stick with a nice set of AV cables for your DVD/Receiver hookup.

When you talk to your HD cable provider see what kind of hookup they offer on their HD cable box. It'll either be DVI or HDMI. DVI is the new/better jack and only found on newer HDTV's. HDMI was the first generation found on TV's before. Look to see what you have on your HDTV just incase you have to buy a converter from HDMI to DVI or vise versa. Cable providers will set you up with traditional AV cables to/from your box to your TV which is pretty poor. You really need to be using your HDMI or DVI jack to get the most out of your HD signal from the cable box. Word of warning: A HDMI/DVI cable is very expensive. You'll be looking at $100+ just for the cable not to mention any HDMI-DVI converter if you should need it.

Another word of warning: If you are a Time Warner subscriber the HDMI or DVI output on their HD boxes won't necessarily be turned on. I guess they bought these boxes without purchasing the software needed to activate the HDMI/DVI outputs. The newest generation of boxes will have the DVI output activated but make sure you ask the tech. about it when they come out. I had to have them bring out another box after the first one wasn't activated. The second box had only been available for a few days when the tech. brought it over so we were one of the first people to be able to use the DVI output.

I never bought the HD plug for the XBox so I can't comment on it. It'll be a necessity for the 360 I'm sure.

Rogue II
09-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Direct TV is sattelite, and this (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDDVR.dsp) is the box they offer, which has HDMI. My wife called and was told it would be about $240 for the equipment & installation. I'm going to have to make sure what the TV has. Being that it is a couple years old, I assume it has the older one.

I saw a Sony reciever the other day that had 2 HD inputs and 1 HD output. Since my TV has 2 HD inputs, I figured I could run the DVD player and Direct TV through the reciever to the tv and the cables for the games directly through the TV.

Exhaust Port
09-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I think I need to correct what I said before, I think that HDMI is the newer of the 2 HD inputs, not DVI as I had stated before. So depending on how old the HDTV is it may or may not have the new HDMI interface.

What model of Toshiba do you have? I don't think I came across any HDTV that had 2 HD inputs. There were always a few "conventional" Component Video inputs (ie 3 color plugs) but only 1 HD input (HDMI or DVI). I could be wrong but I didn't see one while I was shopping for a HDTV.

I think the model of Receiver you were looking at was the Sony STR-DE998 which is listed with 2 Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s) which are what you plug any A/V item into but to a higher standard found on HDTV's. Chances are your HDTV has 2-3 of these already in addition to your HDMI or DVI plug. I would save your money and just run your DVD player and game console directly through the Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) inputs found on the TV and hook up your HD satellite box to your TV through the HDMI input.

Rogue II
09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
It is a Toshiba 57H81 Projection Television. I attached a picture of the inputs on the back. I still haven't done much research on it yet, and my knowledge about HDTV is still limited...

There are 2 ColorStream HD inputs. There isn't anything I can find in the manual about HDMI or DVI. My parents said they tried it out on their HD cable before they brought it here and said it looked great. In fact, they said the picture was almost too good because you could see the hair on some of the news anchors necks, which they found distracting.lol They liked the TV, but thought it was too bulky.

Is Colorstream a Toshiba thing?

Exhaust Port
09-08-2005, 05:55 PM
It looks like your TV has only the Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) inputs and neither the HDMI or DVI plugs. The HDMI plug is similar to a USB plug and the DVI is similar to your printer cable. You'll see on the back of a Progressive Scan DVD player the printer cable style plug. A Progressive Scan DVD player is a must for a HDTV and a real nice one can be bought for $100. Don't worry about not being able to use the HDMI output on the DVD player since it isn't transfering a true HD signal you'll get the same results from the Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) outputs.

I'm sure the satellite provider will set you up with cables but it's worth the money to buy some real nice Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) cables to run to your TV. Best Buy started to shy away from Monster Cable and replaced it with another brand (Acoustic Audio?) which is just as good but almost half as expensive. I bought those for my parents setup and they work great.

Since your are looking to run possibly 3 HD Component Video sources you could buy a HD Component Video switcher. This will permit you to run several different HD inputs through your TV. The Receiver you mentioned before is basically a 2x Component Video Switcher but will run you $500. You can pick up a pure Video Switcher for much less.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/1154A.asp

But if you need a Receiver then you could buy that Sony model and take care of both your A/V and Switcher needs in one.

Rogue II
09-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Kidhuman
09-09-2005, 06:20 AM
If you are going to buy a switch box for 500 bucks, you're better off buying a new TV for a few hundred more. You always lose a little something with the more components you add and have to run through.

Slicker
09-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Come on over to my brother's house in his theatre room and play your vidjo games on his $8,000 101" HD projector with $1000 ultra contrast screen!!!!:thumbsup: I'll post pics when he gets it all finished.No one likes a bragger Scruff.:p

scruffziller
09-09-2005, 09:09 AM
No one likes a bragger Scruff.:p

No, but everyone loves what the bragger is bragging about.;) :D

scruffziller
02-11-2006, 01:56 PM
No, but everyone loves what the bragger is bragging about.;) :D

And right now I can brag some more because I am posting from the 101" screen!!!!:thumbsup: And it is PRETTY!!!!!! Been playing World of Warcraft on here and it is awesome!!!!!

Exhaust Port
02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
In my best Napoleon Dynamite imitation - "Lucky!"

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Seriously Scruff, why would one need a 101" TV? Do you have cataracts?

scruffziller
02-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Seriously Scruff, why would one need a 101" TV? Do you have cataracts?

The keyword is not "NEED", but "WANT" is the word. And "LOVE"!!!!!!!!

Still a skeptic? Come on over and take in the glory of the SW marathon, on that 101" screen!!!!!!

Exhaust Port
02-14-2006, 12:22 PM
How's the room set up for the HD projector? Did you put in a room with no windows or install thick curtains? What do you use for a screen to project against? I've begun to think that these HD projectors give you more bang for you buck. I also like that they are less visible when not being used.

scruffziller
02-20-2006, 05:13 AM
I have taken some pics but my bro has to send them to me because it is his camera. He has an entirely enclosed room with a 101" ($1000) High Contrast cinema screen.

scruffziller
02-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I have pics!!!!:D

The flash washes out the image on the screen but in person it is nothing short of awesome.

Slicker
02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Holy crap! That's impressive as hell. I'd kill to have a home theater like that...or even a TV screen bigger than 19" in my bedroom.

Kidhuman
02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Its a nice set up. I like the large chairs and all. Gives it the theatre atmosphere.

Exhaust Port
02-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Man, that is one sweet set up. I think we all would like to have access to such a nice movie watching facility. Thanks for the pics Scruff. :D