PDA

View Full Version : Bob Denver, TV's Gilligan, Dead at 70

Lord Malakite
09-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Bob Denver, whose portrayal of goofy first mate Gilligan on the 1960s television show "Gilligan's Island," made him an iconic figure to generations of TV viewers, has died, his agent confirmed Tuesday. He was 70. Denver, who underwent quadruple heart bypass surgery earlier this year, died at Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital in North Carolina, according to agent Mike Eisenstadt.

decadentdave
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
So long, Little Buddy. :(

El Chuxter
09-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Goodbye, Gilligan. :( Say hello to the Skipper and Mr Howell when you get to the Pearly Gates.

mabudonicus
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Maybe now the rest of the castaways can finally get off the damn island now that Gilligan ain't around to screw up EVERY escape attempt ;)

RIP Bob, hope your ethereal Goldfish farm is doing well :D

What a stupid, great show that was

Ji'dai
09-06-2005, 04:55 PM
He'll be back, Bob's just going to heaven on a three-hour tour.

I watched re-runs of Gilligan's Island just about every weekday after school. Fun show.

Slicker
09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Man, this sucks. I loved Gilligan's Island and Bob seemed like one of those actors that wouldn't ever die.

Kidhuman
09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Damn, he will be missed. RIP Bob.

kool-aid killer
09-07-2005, 12:38 AM
I always hated Gilligan. I swear, i had been stuck on the island with him i would have murdered the guy after the third escape he botched. But he did redeem himself by being awed by Star Wars (i believe it was in the movie) so RIP Gilligan.

Lazer Brain
09-07-2005, 08:43 AM
RIP Bob 'Maynard' Denver, like , the first real beatnik/spacecadet/geek in TV land. I was a great fan of the TV of his show 'The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis' a real classic that is still great to watch.
later

CaptainSolo1138
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Wow, how pathetic that I get my news from a SW site. I didn't know or her anything about it until I got here.

Like Slick said, he seemed like one of those guys who was always gonna be around. He was always so spry and had a smile on his face. Damn. Granted, he hadn't done much in the last years, but with such an iconic character under your belt, there's no need.

RIP Little Buddy!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Just think--the gang was only supposed to be gone for a three hour tour!. And look what happened.

You will be missed.

Jedi_Mike
09-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Rest In Peace....

JediTricks
09-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Just think--the gang was only supposed to be gone for a three hour tour!. And look what happened.

You will be missed.
It was actually the Professor's fault, if he had better tested the tree glue that Gilligan had found, he would have known that it would fail after only a few hours, causing the Minnow to completely fall apart - they had patched the holes, but then reinforced the whole ship with this tree glue, and the tree glue eventually dried up and turned to dust, releasing the stresses placed on the body's panels.

Poor Bob Denver, he seemed like a funny guy but never was able to get away from this part. Hard to believe the show only lasted 3 seasons.

2-1B
09-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Sorry about him dying and all, but I always hated Gilligan's Island and the title character. That show was on in reurns all the time it seemed when I was a kid and I never could stand watching it.

sith_killer_99
09-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Does anyone else see the irony of Bob Denver dying while Lost is so popular?!?!

Wo would have thought that another stranded-on-a-desert-island television show would be so popular.

Anyway, rest in peace Bob "like WOW man" Maynard G. Krebs Denver.:thumbsup:

2-1B
09-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Not really, the difference being that Lost is good, while Gilligan's Island was not.

Slicker
09-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Hard to believe the show only lasted 3 seasons.Really? You could swear that by the recognition it gets it lasted for at least 10 years. That's quite interesting.

2-1B
09-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Felt like 20 years to me.

JimJamBonds
09-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Poor Bob Denver, he seemed like a funny guy but never was able to get away from this part. Hard to believe the show only lasted 3 seasons.

He was able to milk the Gilgian bit for 40 yrs so I don't feel to bad for him. Although the actors only got residuals for the first 5 times an episode aired (or something like that) so in that sense they mi:greedy::greedy:ed out.

Really? You could swear that by the recognition it gets it laster for at least 10 years. That's quite interesting.

They pumped out 98 episodes in those three years.

El Chuxter
09-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Not really, the difference being that Lost is good, while Gilligan's Island was not.

Methinks you are backwards on that. I find Lost unwatchably bad, and I could watch the same episode of Gilligan twelve times in a row and still wet myself laughing.

2-1B
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
I haven't even seen an episode of Lost. ;) But I do know that the few clips I've seen didn't annoy me like GI did, so I made an assumption. lol lol lol

El Chuxter
09-27-2005, 12:03 PM
The time I saw it, it was about as farfetched as Gilligan. Only that show knew it was a joke, while Lost seems to take itself way too seriously.