PDA

View Full Version : Where's the price caps?

Darth Alex
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Another day, another web report on SW markups.
Yet another link has popped up on SW toys arriving by the end of 09/05 at actionHQ. $30 for the Target Clone exclusive, $40 for the set of Musta Ani and Obi exclusive. Just sad. My local Target in NE PA still has the wrong stock in place of their battle packs and the mgr Keith has no idea when anything is going to arrive, how to call for it to get stuff in, or how to increase stock. Bottom line- camp out in the store daily or order online and get scalped for over 2-2 1/2 times the cost minimum.
I refuse to buy now folks. Better things to due with my time and money. I'm not taking it in the financial can over extortion.

kool-aid killer
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
You could always try to get another forum member to keep an eye out for you. Could be within your location or clear across the state, but im willing to bet that someone will step forward. Complaining isnt going to do you much good though. These things can be obtained, but sometimes it just takes a little more work to do it.

Darth Alex
09-07-2005, 03:23 PM
You could always try to get another forum member to keep an eye out for you. Could be within your location or clear across the state, but im willing to bet that someone will step forward. Complaining isnt going to do you much good though. These things can be obtained, but sometimes it just takes a little more work to do it.

You're missing the point. I should be the one, as should anyone who wants the toys, to be able to find them. This isn't some sort of hunting ring, just a hobby. Complaining does change things if the right people hear you.
Do you realize what I'm talking about at all? The prices of pre-orders for SW toys from "reputable" dealers on the internet when CAMPING OUT IN STORES EVERY DAY isn't an option are absolutely CRIMINAL. Where's your acknowledgement of that.
Little more work- buddy, I'm in a SuperWalmart most EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and I still can't find what I'm looking for. As far as Target, they NEVER have anything new.
I'm not looking for friends I already have to look for me; I know and am friends with about 8-10 collectors in my area(NE PA) and no one can find anything with any regularity. My point is that if retail is gonna drop the ball EVERY SINGLE WEEK, then price gouging from places like Action-HQ is just gonna drive away committed collectors such as myself.
Honestly. I don't know why I waste my time. If people want to pay $19.99-$34.99 for a Gree that you'd have to be in a store EVERY DAY to find once reports of it out are on the internet, be my guest. I have better things to do with my life. This hobby is busted due to greed. Plain and simple, from the case assortments to the mark ups.

tagmac
09-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I lucked out at TRU with the Clones Evolutions, but with gas prices the way they are, I caved in and ordered the Sith Evo from D&S - with shipping, I'm overpaying by about $10, but that's probably not too far off what it would cost me to go to Wal-Mart every day looking. The price itself was only $21.99, not too bad of a markup considering what the other online stores are charging. I've pretty much given up on hasbrotoyshop. They have new stuff listed as "coming soon" for weeks, then sell out in less than an hour, always the one time I don't have time to check the site.

I resorted to ebay early on for the shocktrooper, only paying $12 after shipping, and I'm glad I did. Every time I've found a store with that case on the shelf, I always "just miss" the shocktrooper, as it's the only one not still on the shelf (unless employees are preventing them from seeing the sales floor). And to have an idiot at KB actually make like he wanted to help me, asking which figure I needed when he knew there was nothing in the back, just adds to the frustration. I hoped to get one more of these, but only one online store has the shocktroopers, and at $13 plus shipping, it's way too much.

kool-aid killer
09-08-2005, 12:53 AM
You're missing the point. I should be the one, as should anyone who wants the toys, to be able to find them. This isn't some sort of hunting ring, just a hobby. Complaining does change things if the right people hear you.
Do you realize what I'm talking about at all? The prices of pre-orders for SW toys from "reputable" dealers on the internet when CAMPING OUT IN STORES EVERY DAY isn't an option are absolutely CRIMINAL. Where's your acknowledgement of that.
Little more work- buddy, I'm in a SuperWalmart most EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and I still can't find what I'm looking for. As far as Target, they NEVER have anything new.
I'm not looking for friends I already have to look for me; I know and am friends with about 8-10 collectors in my area(NE PA) and no one can find anything with any regularity. My point is that if retail is gonna drop the ball EVERY SINGLE WEEK, then price gouging from places like Action-HQ is just gonna drive away committed collectors such as myself.
Honestly. I don't know why I waste my time. If people want to pay $19.99-$34.99 for a Gree that you'd have to be in a store EVERY DAY to find once reports of it out are on the internet, be my guest. I have better things to do with my life. This hobby is busted due to greed. Plain and simple, from the case assortments to the mark ups.

Suit yourself. Keep pounding on the keyboard though, maybe one of your 8-10 friends will realize you need your diaper changed.:thumbsup:

Luuuuuuke
09-08-2005, 02:29 AM
I have better things to do with my life. So which one is it, you "have better things to do with my life" or you're "in a SuperWalmart most EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and I still can't find what I'm looking for"?;) I understand your frustration DArth Alex, but you need to simmer down a little. I've ordered stuff online, and while that's not ideal, I don't think I've ever been reamed. I'll never pay more than one or two bucks over retail, though the shipping adds to that. I've found that I get lucky enough to find what I want at retail, but you're right, the toy companies make collecting a real pain in the arse. For instance, how screwed up is it that they made the Invisible Woman Fantastic Four figure so impossibly hard to find? Granted, I never saw the movie and I couldn't give a crap about the figures, but they're called the "Fantastic Four" not the FAntastic Three and Number Four Optional. To me that illustrates how these companies just yank their customers around to create the necessary sense of urgency or desperation that is needed to keep a line desirable. You always pine most for what you can't get. It creates buzz. It's definitely frustrating, no question about it, but you know what, most of us here are adults and we're collecting toys. If you think about, there's probably a lot of other things that we should allow ourselves to get aggravated about. By the way, I have a nephew who just started working at a local Target and today he saw firsthand how undignified action figure collectors can be. He was there at opening and he said he saw a group of about six older men, probably in their late 30s, early 40s, speed walking to the Star Wars section. He thought it was the funniest thing.

BoPs
09-08-2005, 05:34 AM
you must be new to this.. it's been the exact same ever since potf2 came about :) remember 1/2 circle boba? long sabers? han in endor wave ? the first time holo's started coming on red cards?! rots has been a piece of cake compared to pre 2003 starwars collecting :)

dindae
09-15-2005, 10:23 AM
The "gotta have it now" mentality definately causes outrageous prices on the second hand and that will never stop ever. But the key is not to pay the outrageous prices just wait it will go down. Not everything will get back to retail prices but look at the hard to find figures from POTF2. The first Leia, Lando, long saber variants, red card variants, etc have all dropped in demand terribly. Remember theater Luke going for $100+? Looking at ebay now they have two with buy it now for $29 plus several with no buy it now less than $10. Now certain things retain their value better than others like troopers but crap like the Battle Packs and senator figures I wouldn't worry if you miss it at retail because eventually they will be reasonable again.