PDA

View Full Version : forget MTV, Yahoo now has free music videos!

JediTricks
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
http://music.yahoo.com/musicvideos/

I found this last night while surfing the web, it's surprisingly cool for a free service! Each video you request has a short commercial before it, and there's a banner and the pertinent video data sometimes gets replaced by a relevant ad, but it's a pretty cool free service. They have a decent number of videos, not outstanding but it's a good start with plenty of older videos. Plus, you can go into fullscreen mode, some videos don't have great transfers but they look alright this way.

One thing that's odd is that some of the videos are given wrong years, this is because the song was found on later albums, but like the Judas Priest page: http://music.yahoo.com/ar-252819-videos--Judas-Priest
It shows that "Breaking the Law" is from 2005, but the video is (clearly ;)) the original from the early '80s.

Also, if you don't stop the player when the video ends, it'll play another video without throwing an ad at you.

Pretty neat service, Yahoo definitely caught my attention here, SCREW MTV!!! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
09-08-2005, 12:31 AM
No luck on my end. :mad: I tried several different artists and all that would happen is a 7 second montage of pictures, but it would never go to the actual song itself.

kool-aid killer
09-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Ive been using it for at least a month now. You can give videos and artists ratings, which help weed out songs or genres you dont like. It usually plays two videos for me, then goes into a commercial break, then back to another video. But once youve rated enough songs the video player can get to play plenty of the videos you like in a row, with a one commercial break here and there.

Fullscreen usually looks better if you sit a distance away from your monitor, too close and it looks blocky and unrefined. Another thing ive encountered is that sometimes pressing "esc" to go back to the small screen at the end of a song pauses the whole thing. But overall i like it.

2-1B
09-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Nice find JT ! If MTV won't play vids, somebody might as well. lol

Is there a new Priest greatest hists compilation out ? That could be why it is misdated . . . just a thought.

JediTricks
09-09-2005, 01:48 AM
No luck on my end. :mad: I tried several different artists and all that would happen is a 7 second montage of pictures, but it would never go to the actual song itself.
Really? That's rather odd, I haven't had anything of that sort, just an ad and then a video. Is it possible it set your video speed wrong?

Fullscreen usually looks better if you sit a distance away from your monitor, too close and it looks blocky and unrefined.Yeah, that's the case with most streaming video, I've found, though some of the newer videos on their site seem to have direct digital transfers and looked better than most.

Is there a new Priest greatest hists compilation out ? That could be why it is misdated . . . just a thought.Well, the Priest compilation is several years old, and the box set is from '04 - click the video for "Breaking the Law (EPK)" from 2004 and you'll get info about the boxed set, then the live video from a few years back, then a bookend to the set info. But I'm sure it's something like what you are saying, I just think they should have the date of the VIDEO rather than the most recent album that song was found on.

None the less, it's SO awesome to have music videos again, beyond the occasional hip hop/r&B videos that MTV throws at us.

JimJamBonds
09-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Really? That's rather odd, I haven't had anything of that sort, just an ad and then a video. Is it possible it set your video speed wrong?

Or its just possible I'm an idiot... I'll just cut to the chase and say it works. Thanks for the cool site JT! :thumbsup: