PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Characters Age Slower!!

Slicker
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
It has been said that when you fly in an airplane that time slows down (albeit micro, micro, micro seconds) and you're only flying 500 mph. So what say that you're flying oh, I don't know, hyperspeed or .5 past it;) would you notice the time change? Is Han Solo actually 84 years old but he's aged so slow because of his adventures (namely the Kessel Run) in hyperspace?

Don't ask me why I think of such stupid and trivial things but I guarantee that this will reach 3 pages and even involve stilla.:bandit:

El Chuxter
09-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Somehow this was posted twice, so I've killed its evil twin. :)

This is feasible, but rests on the assumption that natural laws as we know them hold true in SW, which is often not the case.

Howe'er, it's been hinted at that, due to much better medical care, SW characters do age slower than real people, at least when they're on planets with the medical care. (If you're on Tatooine, you age much, much faster. Witness Obi-Wan, only 53, and Owen and Beru, both around 35-40.)

Qui-Gon was said to be in his late 50's.

Mace was in his 60's.

I don't know if Dooku's age has been given (aside from the refuted comment in the TPM novel about Qui-Gon's master being several hundred years old), but he's probably got to be at least in his 80's or 90's.

In the latest novel, The Joiner King, Leia makes a comment about Han being "only" in his 70's. And Mara, in her 50's, still looks hot enough to melt the tar on a roof.

2-1B
09-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Owen and Beru, both around 35-40.)

Huh ? Where did the Lars ages come from ?

:)

JediTricks
09-10-2005, 02:36 AM
I thought Mace was in his 80s or 90s, I remember that's what TPM-era reference material said anyway.

I am a Trekkie from birth, so my thought is that hyperspace travel is an alternate dimension which ships can enter and leave but have to create dampening fields around them to avoid the affects of FTL travel in other dimensions. Also, I think time has to be accepted in movie terms as a total constant, the gravity of Coruscant won't affect the time difference between lower-level buildings and skyhooks.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't think you should really think that space travel causes the folks to look younger than they really are. Maybe in reality, but since when has SW adhered to the laws of the natural world?

Oh, and Obi-Wan isn't 53 in ANH. He was 25 in TPM, 35 in AOTC, 38 in ROTS, and 57 in ANH. And I don't really think that Owen and Beru were in their early twenties in ROTS, more likely either their late twenties and early thirties. I guess they stopped using skin moisturizer when Luke came around. :D

scruffziller
11-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Also too since Obi has been stuck on the planet for a long time and has not space traveled to get the age bending treatment that comes from space travel he would age naturally and look older from the desert conditions. I saw a pic of a guy from Pakistan that was only 42 but he looked 82.

Exhaust Port
11-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I always thought that this would be the case for all the inhabitants of the SW universe. Given that some folks are inclined to nitpick the apparant age shift seen between PT and OT for some of the characters I always considered time-age shift as beening the reason. Sounds good to me. :)

Also, I think time has to be accepted in movie terms as a total constant, the gravity of Coruscant won't affect the time difference between lower-level buildings and skyhooks.

Time shifts due to acceleration not gravitational varations.

JEDIpartner
11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah... but gravity can sure play havoc with your body... :D

stillakid
11-15-2005, 07:56 AM
It has been said that when you fly in an airplane that time slows down (albeit micro, micro, micro seconds) and you're only flying 500 mph. So what say that you're flying oh, I don't know, hyperspeed or .5 past it;) would you notice the time change? Is Han Solo actually 84 years old but he's aged so slow because of his adventures (namely the Kessel Run) in hyperspace?

Don't ask me why I think of such stupid and trivial things but I guarantee that this will reach 3 pages and even involve stilla.:bandit:

Sorry to disappoint by missing this. ;) I don't have a lot to add, except a couple of links by folks wiser than I.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

http://physics.dickinson.edu/~dept_web/activities/papers/StarWars.pdf

And to address your original question regarding Han's age, no, he would not be 84. Due to special relativity, his age would progress "normally" relative to his own experience, however everyone else who had not travelled with him would have aged considerably once he came out of hyperspace. Of course, because so many others around him seem to be bouncing in and out of lightspeed with the frequency of having to go to the bathroom, they are all "aging" at a rate somewhat consistent with one another, although theoretically it is possible that if Han keeps this up, Luke will be old enough to be his grandfather someday. :) Actually, now that I think about it, because of the differences in the way Luke and Leia were brought up, it stands to reason that she should appear to be far older than Luke by the time A New Hope rolls around. :crazed: But this phenomenon may go a long way to explaining the time and age problems that Rbaum- has illustrated on many occasions.

But I also have to add that when I first read the title of this thread, my first thought was to the vast differences in the way time progresses between the Prequel films and the OT films. Prequel characters age far quicker (little orphan Ani to bipolar Haydakin) than their OT counterparts. Perhaps time is slowing down in the universe...:ermm: