PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to the Episode I line vs. the AOTC line...

JEDIpartner
01-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Since I am a fairly new member here (I originally signed on back in February of last year) I wasn't here to witness/read the reactions people had when Hasbro was changing the POTF2 line into the line we got for Episode I. There was a very significant difference in the two lines and I was curious as to how it was received.

It seems, thus far, that the reaction to the AOTC line has been largely unfavourable. I know that when I saw the Episode I figures for the first time via the internet and the Episode I Insider's guide, I was really happy with the way they looked. I had no gripes or arguements over the sculpts, detailing and whatnot. Now, at the dawn of the AOTC line, I am having my reservations.

I know SirSteve has asked us to reserve our judgement until we see them first hand, In retrospect, not having seen the Episode I figures first hand in the month or so before release, I was able to draw a very fair conclusion on how they looked and what I liked.

Is there anyone who can fill me in on the events in the months leading up to the release of the Episode I line?

INDIANA
01-17-2002, 01:09 PM
We were all hungry for E1 stuff...the first "new" Star Wars toys for almost 20 years to go with the first new movie in 20 years. We already had the STAP and mail-in Mace Windu in our hands. Pictures were leaking out starting around Thanksgiving 98 and kept comming. I do not remember any complaining.

Cut to 3 years later.

We have had the relative success of the POTJ line with decent characters and sculpts. The E1 nightmare is behind us, and we expect Hasbro to learn from their mistakes. Hasblo was on the right track with POTJ, including having figures to scale. If the AOTC figures ALL weren't doing the splits and all didn't look like statues, I think the response would be more favorable.

I think we all didn't expect great things from the AOTC line, just more of the same as POTJ. None of us expected a huge step back.

(This space reserve for Sir Steve to tell us all that he can not comment on anything because Hasblo has taken away his right of free speech and he can not express his own opinion and to wait until we see the whole line before we pass judgement. Uhhhh, how much more do you want us to see? Tell us what's really going to blow our socks off please.)

Obehave Kenobi
01-17-2002, 01:57 PM
I remember when I first saw the Ep.1 figures. I recall thinking how great it was that Hasbro had taken steps FORWARD in the articulation, such as the Jedi being able to hold lightsabers with both hands. Granted some of the first sculpts were not that good(Boss Nass ring any bells?), but those figures still looked better than these AOTC figures. Making figures that don't look quite right because you're not exactly sure what the character will finally look like is one thing, but to deliberately make them look bad is another.

CrossWizard
01-17-2002, 02:54 PM
I loved the first Epi 1 figures(at least Maul, Obi Wan, Mace and Qui Gonn), I was extremely happy about figures finally holding the sabers with 2 hands like the other guy said and the fact the the saber hilts were detailed and looked cool.

mabudonicus
01-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm.. The E1 figures were weird- I must say that I didn't like the obi or qg from the first line( Qg looked even more stoned than he did in the film), but mixed in with that were really great sculpts like watto, where all the techniques like washing an so on were employed to great effect. With the robed obi and qg the mistakes on the first ones seemed to have been corrected, I really liked both of em(they look a lot,well,finer somehow). I still don't understand why the learning process seems to have been reset again for AOTC. Did hasbro kill off everyone attached to the figures? Could it have something to do with secrecy, and not being able to give the kind of info necessary to make really good figures without the fear of leaks? It does seem that the figure line for TPM started to get serious after the film came out.... Should we anticipate this pattern again, without the ridiculously optimistic over ordering of the 1st 3 waves that basically killed the E1 line? Anybody?

GNT
01-17-2002, 11:56 PM
I enjoyed the EP1 line better because they had articulation (could hold lightsabers with both hands) and most of them were in a basic stance where as the AOTC figures are (mostly all) posed and totally useless altogether!