PDA

View Full Version : The great photographic undertaking

bobafrett
09-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Well, I got inspired the other day to photograph my collection of everything from the best (Vader sculpture, etc.) to the cheapest (PEZ dispensers, etc.) and what a task it has become. So far I have photographed one shelving unit in a corner of my living room.

I am doing this for two reasons, one, I need proof for insurance purposes (Inspired my the massive loss of property by Katrina), and second, I didn't think I owned any of the small wing Hasbro TIE fighters, and while making space for the new large wing TIE fighter, I found I had not one, but two smaller wing TIE fighters.

Anyone else done this?

bobafrett
09-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry, I thought I posted this under "other", not hardly Rancor material.

Ji'dai
09-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Insurance purposes, eh? Expecting a descendant of Mrs. O'Leary's cow to kick over another lantern? ;)

I thought about photographing my loose figures in order to document the weapons and accessories for future offline reference but I'm too lazy. There are some good weapons/accessories databases out there already anyway.

I usually photograph figures and LEGO sets before I open/assemble them, but with collecting sites like this one maintaining carded figure pics I don't do it as often any more. I still photograph LEGO sets before I assemble them so I can always check and count polybags in case I get a second set with broken seals and need to confirm it's complete.

2-1B
09-11-2005, 03:20 AM
Good idea, this will be a great tool for you if you do lose your swag . . . so where do you plan to keep hard copies of your photos, and how many sets of photos will you be storing ? :)

Kidhuman
09-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Moved to Gen DIsc.

SOrry Caesar, I had to remove those comments since we are not in the pit anymore

I plan on doing this shortly. Did you take individual pictures of everything or group shots?

bobafrett
09-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Good idea, this will be a great tool for you if you do lose your swag . . . so where do you plan to keep hard copies of your photos, and how many sets of photos will you be storing ? :)

I don't know that I will be keeping hard copies, but I will download them to my computer, then save them to disc. The cost of making prints would be expensive especially with a collection like I have. Also the photos could be used should I ever need to sell any of it on eBay or other such sites.

I plan on doing this shortly. Did you take individual pictures of everything or group shots?

Depends on what it is. The large ships and such will be taken individually, the smaller figures will be in group shots. The Gentle Giant busts might be tsken individually, and out of the box. I don't know how willing I would be to dig out the boxes for everything that I have loose. So far I have just skimmed one small area of my living room, still need to get the rest of the living room, and then the bedroom of wall to wall figures, and other stuff.

Kidhuman
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah snapping shots of 500 figures is gonna be a b**ch, plus all the other stuff.

Slicker
09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I've thought about doing this but like Frett I'd like to think I have a sizable collection and the time involved would kill me. One of these days though I may try it.

UKWildcat
09-12-2005, 12:12 AM
I too would be way to lazy to take pictures of my entire collection, although it would be nice to have the hard copies. When the ROTS line came out I started an Excel file with all of the figures and stuff that I own. The amount of figs, differnet variations/errors I own, Deluxe figs, exclusive figs, vehicles, etc. And that has become a pain to keep up with and maintain. I am thinking of cataloging all of my previous figues and stuff in Excel, but like I said, I am way to lazy and don't have the time now that football is on :D. I have stuff stored away I don't even know about. Sometimes I look through it and am like 'wow, i didn't know I had that'. If I do decide to put all my other stuff into an excel file I will definitely take pictures of it while I'm at it. I just don't know when that day will come.:rolleyes:

bobafrett
09-12-2005, 08:42 AM
For me, it's not a matter of being lazy, I just work way to many hours, and I am usually too tired, and very little time to get this done. I had some energy last night, started clicking off pictures and the battery needed to be charged. I have this morning off, so I will try to get another chunk of pictures done.

I do have a lot of sections of my collection done in the areas where they are displayed, but there is so much that I can't see because there is collectibles buried behind other collectibles, due to space limitations. You can see some of my mass collection here:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=bobafrett&album_id=104013

The updated collection starts midway down the second page. These are not the individual photos that I am currently working on.

Kidhuman
09-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Nice sized collection you got there.

bobafrett
09-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Nice sized collection you got there.

Keep in mind, the first page and a half are from my old apartment, and the next page and a half are shots in my new apartment (rented house). So so it may look larger than it actually is, although it is proving to be a challenge remembering what I photographed, and what I have yet to get on film (digital disk).

LusiferSam
09-12-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm doing this with my vintage collection right now. The current fruits of my labor can be seen in the SSG Database. Any loose vintage figure on a blue background is mine. It can be a highly time consuming task. Bad lighting, bad lighting conditions, and fuzzy pictures are only the start of what can go wrong. Wrong image size and wrong resolution also wreck havoc. I just recently discovered I've taken (and then up loaded) more than 400 photos at a lower resolution (72 dpi vs. 180 dpi) than what is possible for my camera. So I guess it's time to brake out the figures again and start over (again).

Very impressive photos bobafrett. I'm looking forward to looking at the rest (I've only looked at page 1 so far).

bobafrett
09-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks LusiferSam. I had taken some of the pictures for a Hasbro best collector contest, or something like that. The prize was a complete years worth of Hasbro Star Wars toys. Those pictures are on the first page and a half. I had to remove any non Hasbro toys from those pictures.

Some of the problems I'm having are with lighting conditions, flash washing out the figure because it reflects on the window, or when I don't have the flash on, the camera requires you to hold it very still, otherwise the pictures turn out blurred.

InsaneJediGirl
09-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Nice pictures Bobafrett :)

I've thought about photographing all my collection.Most of my stuff is in rubbermaid containers until I get another bookshelf in my room to put it on. This would mean dragging the box out and taking every figure out of its ziploc bag and then reorganizing them. Perhaps someday when I'm bored ;)

Slicker
09-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Impressive. Most impressive. That's quite a sizable collection you have there Frett. I like how you have the 3 3/4" figs displayed too. Makes me sad though that I can't have mine displayed.:cry:

UKWildcat
09-13-2005, 12:36 AM
That is a very nice collection you got going there Bobafrett. Keep us updated when you add some new pictures.

I agree with you Slick, I too am sad that I can't have most of my figs displayed too.:(

bobafrett
09-13-2005, 01:53 AM
I worked on getting some more pictures done this evening. got one small corner of my bedroom done. I started sweating, and sweat started dripping off my head and almost got some of my figures, so I stopped.

Thanks for the :thumbsup: on my collection!

I'm taking some time to watch poker!