PDA

View Full Version : Out of work, I think my company is going under. Can I still afford props?

slothfurnace
09-12-2005, 07:25 AM
That's what I am wondering right now...

I have been at the same video game development company now for almost 3 years, and for reasons beyond my control, I am no longer with them. They might open up if they sign a deal with a publisher, which is pending, but for all intents and purposes, Ol sloth here is gonna be milling around the house on unemployment workin on my resume and portfolio for a while.

This means I might have to stop collecting, or god forbid, start selling off my sabers for cashola.

SO, if any of you gents and gals know of any artist positions open at any game companies, lemme know.

And as always, happy collecting. I'll have to live vicariously through some of your better aquisitions for a while, so make sure to post, so I know cool things are still being bought!

Jayspawn
09-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Hang in there sloth! I've been in that position before and its not very promising. Certainly doesnt do much for your personal security. If it gets to a point where its not looking up -go job hunting! Starting now wouldnt be bad. Just concentrate on you.

slothfurnace
09-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Jayspawn,,

I am looking, I have a recruiter scouring the countryside looking for me, plus I have a few leads in Dallas.

I won't stay down for long.

megaprime33
09-12-2005, 11:34 AM
You're doing the right thing in looking now for a replacement. I was out of work last year for 4 months and it was horrible. I was on unemployment and my parents helped me out with finances but if I didnt start right from the get go with looking for a job, who knows how long it would have taken. Hang in there! Oh and if you do end up selling you sabers, let me know! :D

yeek
09-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Hang in there sloth and keep us updated!

slothfurnace
09-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks here in slothland...

Last Friday, a week after my company shut down, I got a call that we were back in business..

I go in Monday, and find out that we're starting up in a week, and I should relax till then.

Tuesday, I notice there's a hurricane headed for us, and it's looking bleak for Houston.

Wednesday afternoon, after battening down the house, my wife and I head out towards Austin on a 5 hour evacuation course. Which is good time compared to some folks getting stuck in traffic for 12 - 18 hours.

Thursday morning, I get a call from a very large game company in Austin that they want to set up an interview. It's a good thing I am in Austin for that particular day.

Saturday, we realize that the hurricane missed our house, thanks to a neighbor letting us know that our house is just fine, and we head back.

Six hours later, we're back home and exhausted.

So as far as updates go, looks like by the time a new mini comes out, I'll be able to snag it. Hope all is well out there folks,

Slothfurnace

Captain Spoon
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear that your house and job are both in good shape. Just remember next time if you need cash for SW props, that's why the good lord gave you plasma :thumbsup:

Jayspawn
09-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Thats much better news Sloth. I'm glad the hurricane didnt impact as much as it was predicted to. I'm glad your house was saved too.

kingyeti
09-28-2005, 08:41 PM
hey. sorry to hear about the storm. i'm from charleston s.c. and i know what its like.i grew up with storms coming yearly and its a real pain to uproot everything.hope things turn around for you.lots of luck.enjoy whatever new mini you decide to buy.

yeek
09-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Nice to hear you're getting back on your feet sloth...I decided to bunker down during the hurricane and stick it out...watched 3 straight days of tv nonstop...basically caught up on a lot of shows on dvd...we sure were lucky rita missed us...I had to tape up my windows and put all my sabers away....

Jayspawn
09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Good idea yeek. I would be protecting those babies too!

kingyeti
09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
yeah. they're like family photos or jewelry in my book.and with the money that i've put into them, my wife would kill me if i didn't protect them.