PDA

View Full Version : Which of the new basic figure repaints (#57-63) will you get?

JediTricks
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
As Hasbro stretches the ROTS line to fill the gap between it and the upcoming Saga2 line, they've fallen back on a tried-and-true method for stretching a line: repaints. Repaints use existing molds with new paintjobs to create a new character, or at least an intentional variant of that character, which you almost certainly already know; the rationale behind repaints has been Hasbro's bread and butter for nearly half a decade - carrying them into the number 2 toymaker slot - ever since their first GI Joe action figure in the '60s where they could recycle the GI Joe body over and over again by just including new clothes and accessories and maybe a new hair color... Hasbro famously carried on this tradition with 2 of the most popular '80s lines, GI Joe: A Real American Hero (the first wave of which has nearly every single figure sharing body parts in new paintjobs) and Transformers (in the first 2 waves especially, a figure could be repainted 2 or 3 times with success).

With the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith line, the originally-announced 56 figures were simply not enough to satiate collectors, who can be fickle when they go months at a time without new SW toys to collect. However, unlike the previous repainted figures in the line, these newest repaints are being given new figure numbers making them totally different figures rather than variants, a tactic which can be very tempting to collectors who might pass on a Clone Commander that's merely been repainted green but would think twice about doing so with a new character such as Commander Bly.

Here's a recap of ROTS figures $57-63, with links to images of each:
[/URL] #57 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4042) Commander Bly (Battle Gear) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4042)
#58 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4045) Wookiee Commando (Kashyyyk Battle Bash!) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4045)
#59 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4046)Commander Gree (Battle Gear) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4046)
#60 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4044)Grievous' Bodyguard (Battle Attack!) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4044)
#61 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4047)Passel Argente (Separatist) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4047)
#62 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4048)Cat Miin (Separatist) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4048)
[URL="http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4043"] #63 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4043)Neimoidian Commander (Separatist Bodyguard) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4043)So which of this newest, all-repaint wave of figures are you planning to collect?

(This is a multiple-choice poll, so make sure to tick the box next to each figure you plan on getting.)

AmanaMatt
09-12-2005, 08:36 PM
I'll be honest, this wave pretty much blows - I'll dig Commander Gree but the rest are pretty awful -even Bly is pretty crappy in comparison to how accurate he looks.

2-1B
09-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I almost voted none but since I don't have Argente I'll probably grab that one when I see it. :)

dxdave
09-12-2005, 09:40 PM
You know, when I saw the poll I cringed. I am one of those silly completist collectors and who'll buy one to have carded and one to have loose. I really hate that Hasbro is going the "cheap" way out and keeping the same sculpts with repainted color schemes. But yet, I blame myself for buying them!

Why can't Hasbro make different characters instead? I'm sure they'll make other characters sooner or later, but we could do without too many repaints, I think.

jedibear
09-12-2005, 09:43 PM
I see you didn't include the holo figures or the Astromech...I'll probably get those in addition to the clones. The wookiees are embarrassing...can we get one in lederhosen too?
I also checked the Grevious Bodyguard simply because the coloring (cape & all) looks more "movie-accurate" than the first version.

JediTricks
09-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I see you didn't include the holo figures or the Astromech...I'll probably get those in addition to the clones. The wookiees are embarrassing...can we get one in lederhosen too?
I also checked the Grevious Bodyguard simply because the coloring (cape & all) looks more "movie-accurate" than the first version.
I heard those are not in the newest wave, but the wave AFTER that, #64-68, so I didn't include them with this poll. Plus, the polls only go up to 10 options, but we'd need 13 with all 12 repaints AND a "none" option listed.

I chose "none" because there's nothing here that excites me at all. I was a little tempted on the black Wookiee and the white Grievous Bodyguard, but I already own 2 of the original Bodyguard and it's disappointing as a figure, and the Wookiee I own 2 of (one of each of the original colors) and that's enough for me. The rest do nothing at all for me, I am totally Cloned out, separatists don't interest me, and do we really need another Neimoidian guard when the original is the worst pegwarmer in the line?

bobafrett
09-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I picked one of each seeing as I have this terrible habit of not being able to go without having them all. I will only buy one of each of them, seeing as none of them stand out IMO. Another thing one must consider is how hard will it be to find these. I see folks here on SSG who still do not have some of the earlier figures.

Rogue II
09-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I voted none. Didn't buy them the first time around, and I won't but them this time. Someone wake me up when they start making new OT figures again.

Jayspawn
09-12-2005, 11:59 PM
I really want Commander Bly. And I'll probably get Commander Gree. But the rest I can do without.

trandoshan666
09-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I'll buy all of them. It's what I do. :D

Slicker
09-13-2005, 12:06 AM
I'll end up getting all of them therefore I picked all of them. :bandit:

plasticfetish
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Voted that I'll probably pick all of them up. I'm in no huge hurry to get any of them, but I'm not hating this wave... it's so-so.

steeltormentor69
09-13-2005, 02:55 AM
All of them of course.... I have the disease of collecting, plus being a completest I am doomed to obtaining every figure.

sebillba
09-13-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm so tempted to ignore all these, but I'll probably get them all. I tried to pass on some of the earlier ROTS figures, like C-3PO, R2, Vader, etc, as I already have enough of these, but ended up going back and getting them all... paying even more for 3PO, as he was the only one I couldn't find in stores, and I couldn't leave one gap.

I doubt this new wave will show up in UK shops, so it will work out cheaper for me to order the whole lot on one go. None of them excite me, and I know I'll feel cheated, but I'm an addict, so what can I do?

I've already got the other clone repaints, and even the Anakin Sith-eyes... who looks much better if you replace his robes with the hooded robe from Mustafar Anakin #50.

Kidhuman
09-13-2005, 08:24 AM
As for the entire final 12, I am going to get 8 of the figures

Gree
Bly
Cat Miin
Passel
R4-P17
Blue Clone(a few of them)
The two Holo figures

I am not going to get the Neo warriors or the Wookie Warriors or Grievous' Guards. IF I want those, there area plenty already warming the pegs.

dindae
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
I will be getting them all. While I would prefer all new all perfect molds every time, I know this isn't going to happen. Each figure on its own is not too bad to me. Far better than some disappoints before like clone trooper armor Obi, and well most molds involving major characters. The thing that makes these figures more disappointing is that its 12 back to back. They will all be decent additions to my dioramas filling out my wookies with more variants, Cat and Passel to get slaughtered with the Nemodian and his commander, etc.

Ji'dai
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
None of them.

I stopped collecting over the summer; the price hike, exclusives, plus continued reliance on repacks and repaints to flesh out the line have finally taken their toll.

CaptainSolo1138
09-13-2005, 11:02 AM
I'll probably end up getting the Clones (or have someone pick them up for me *cough*Slicker or KH*cough*). I have a new found obsession for getting all the Clone varients.

jedi master sal
09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Of the ones listed in the poll:
#57 Commander Bly (Battle Gear)
#58 Wookiee Commando (Kashyyyk Battle Bash!)
#59 Commander Gree (Battle Gear)
#60 Grievous' Bodyguard (Battle Attack!)
#61 Passel Argente (Separatist)
#62 Cat Miin (Separatist)
#63 Neimoidian Commander (Separatist Bodyguard)

I'm getting the following (numbers in parethesisi indicate how many of each for example 1c/2o means; 1 carded 2 to open)-keeping in mind I'm a scene/diorama/army builder:
Commander Bly (1c/3o) scene building
Wookiee Commando Though I chose none here, I may get ONE carded
Commander Gree (1c/3o) scene building
Grievous' Bodyguard (1c/2o) I want to use these GGBGs as "Commanders" of sort for the other ones that I have
Passel Argente (1c/1o)
Cat Miin (1c/1o)
Neimoidian Commander (1c/2o) Figured I needed some commanders for the troops. (I'm doing an EU diorama of a Clone Attack on a Neimoidian colony)

of the last 5 (not listed) I'm getting
Ki-Adi Mundi Holographic (1c/1o)
Aayla Secura Holographic (1c/1o)
Other Wookie commando (Isn't he a "gunner"?) Again with this one I MAY get one and only one, not sure.
R4 (Obi-wan's droid) (1c/2o)
Blue Clone (1c/40-50 o) That's if I can find this many. I'll be using them in three specific dioramas, the biggest of course being the arrival at the Jedi Temple (25), the next being the interior of the Temple (10-15) and the last being Bail's arrival/Zett Jukassa's fight;death (5-10). So, 40-50 just about covers them.

-Sal

jedibear
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I heard those are not in the newest wave, but the wave AFTER that, #64-68, so I didn't include them with this poll. Plus, the polls only go up to 10 options, but we'd need 13 with all 12 repaints AND a "none" option listed....

I

As Ed McMahon would say while keeping that couch warm..."You are correct sir!"

Yeah, it is hard to get excited about ANYof these but....

And the bigger issue is...by buying any of these are we encouraging Hasbro to crank out even MORE of this sort of thing? I'm all for a company saving a buck here and there but it's looking like this line is going out on a (recycled) whimper. First these lame rehashes and the current "battle packs" that are total rehashes.
Word is filtering around that next year will contain even more rehases ala the OTC line. It's gonna by easy to ween myself away from collecting SW at this rate...

VaderhitsJarjar
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Only because I decided against buying all the figures this time around - I'm content with finding the clone troopers here and there - my plan was to only buy one figure at a time - a couple of times I bought two or three but for the most part - I was that guy standing in the walmart line with four figures and then walking away in frustration to put two back (keep in mind that the one register that is open around 11:00pm has thirty folks in line) Once back with the figures I'm-grabbing another - so I'm back with three figures - Finally I stick one figure with the AA batteries and another in the $5 dvd pile. Then I stand in line behind a large woman with shoeless children and a art full of junkfood - once or twice i give up and leave the store - probably leaving quality control at their monitors - scratching their heads....

seems walmart waits for the lines to get full before closing down for the shift change....:ninja:

Blue2th
09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey, We actually get Clones that were in the movie! As a completest, loose and carded I will have to have at least 2 of each of every figure. Crazy I know but I went this far, can't stop now. I'll be lucky to find them. We all remember how the last wave of Post OTC were to get. Let's hope Hasbro doesn't cancel or cut short this wave of the last ROTS.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I voted for all of them. I think most of them look nice, and the other ones, well, I'm a completist so, there ya go.

Jedibill
09-13-2005, 08:30 PM
I will get them all I have too and I don't no why.

kool-aid killer
09-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I checked off all of them because im a slave to he (Hasbro) Man. While i too would have liked all new characters i realize its not going to happen. No point in complaining about it when its already been done. I dont mind the repaints that much either, given how they will help keep the army figures from looking too similar.

sith_killer_99
09-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I will buy 'em all of course!

Just as I have bought all of the re-paints on older numbered cards (i.e. Shock Trooper, Black Outfit Clone Pilot and Green Clone Commander).

Why no mention of the others?

64. R4-P17 (R2-D2 re-paint)
65. Tactical Ops Trooper (Clone Trooper re-paint) 501 st
66. Plo Koon (Holographic) re-cast in "clear" plastic.
67. Aayla Secura (Holographic) re-cast in "clear" plastic.
68. Wookie Heavy Gunner (re-paint with big gun)

I suppose arguements could be made that 64, 66 and 67 are "new" figures, but 65 and 68 are definate re-paints.

Regardless I will buy 'em all!

jaxx
09-14-2005, 11:08 AM
I am, with much regret, a completist. I will be getting all of them.
If I could kick this completist thing... I would only get the clones, holos, and droid.:yes:

dindae
09-14-2005, 11:18 AM
SK99 he didn't have room in the poll for that many options so he scaled it back to the first wave.

OC47150
09-14-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm looking forward to the clones and the Separatists the most.

JediTricks
09-14-2005, 07:38 PM
And the bigger issue is...by buying any of these are we encouraging Hasbro to crank out even MORE of this sort of thing? I'm all for a company saving a buck here and there but it's looking like this line is going out on a (recycled) whimper. First these lame rehashes and the current "battle packs" that are total rehashes.Well, I dunno if it's possible to disuade Hasbro from this sort of thing, but by purchasing so much of these I suppose it would encourage them to do this more. I do feel your meaning with the line going out on a whimper though, it seems like after figure #41, the line kinda ground down some - probably from that figure being packed with 3 lesser figures in equal numbers, so that in order to get a dozen #41s on shelves you have to have 36 less interesting figures there as well. Plus, the rush job on this line, everything seemed to come out at once, I suspect that's the reason for this repaint wave, they get 56 figures out in under 5 months and then realize there's nothing between that and their 2006 line.

I dunno, I can see folks are still quite hopped up on the clonetroopers, but I know that if I were still a completist I would be livid with these repaints on new cards -- maybe if they had come a year later, I could see deserving that treatment, but mere months later?

Why no mention of the others?

64. R4-P17 (R2-D2 re-paint)
65. Tactical Ops Trooper (Clone Trooper re-paint) 501 st
66. Plo Koon (Holographic) re-cast in "clear" plastic.
67. Aayla Secura (Holographic) re-cast in "clear" plastic.
68. Wookie Heavy Gunner (re-paint with big gun)See this post for reasoning: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=429099&postcount=6

sith_killer_99
09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Ah, I'm tracking now.

As for the re-paints/re-cards. This has been a big trend for Hasbro lately. Not just with the ROTS line but most of the OTC/POTC were re-hashed figures.

I bought everything from the OTC line, and I do mean everything! From the basic figures to the exclusive vehicles/figures to the Canadian carded figures. I would dare say I have the most complete OTC line possible.

I think it's good that Hasbro is giving us some of these re-paints, especially the Clones, though I still prefer #41 over #6. in any event, it gives Hasbro time to work on the new line and gives collectors a chance to build some armies. I would say that their weakest point is perhaps their case breakdown. Other than that, all is good.

As for the battle packs. I bought them all because I like the packaging, especailly the way the figures are displayed. Sure these are all re-hashed figures, but openers and non-completists don't have to buy 'em. As for the completists, well it depends on your definition of "completist" you can buy every carded figure and consider yourself a completist, but never buy a single "Cinema Scene" which is basically what these battle packs are...the latest incarnation of the Cinema Scane.

However, for the "complete" completist, that has to have one of everything, I agree it does kinda suck. These sets are going for $20-$25 each and not a single new figure anywhere.:(

skeeziks22
09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I'll pick them all up... if they ever show up up here.

The one thing I don't get is the new numbers. I can understand those that haven't been carded, and those that get new names even, and maybe... maybe the wookie with the skirt and change of name... BUT Grievous' Guard should not have a new number. It's the sae figure, same accessories, and same name... none of which got a new name before (#6 clone, #23 royal guard... which even had a diff. head, clone pilot and clone commander)... so why now does Hasbro think every variant needs a new number?

Not that it ultimately matters... like I said first off, I'll pick them all up.

sith_killer_99
09-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Oh Hasbro and their fickle ways.:D

Hellboy
09-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I'll be getting all of them and multiples of a few.

Repaints don't really bother me with army builder figures and thats what this wave basically is with the exception of the Separatist leaders. If using the same mold gets us more variations of the Clone Troopers then I'm all for it. The thing that bothers me is the lack of effort on Hasbros part to make sure that these paint schemes were accurate. The figure I was looking forward to the most, Commander Gree, looks WAY off and there is no good reason for this. Very poor execution on the part of Hasbro with this one, just plain lazy. :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm very distinterested in the multitude of Skittled Clones so that leaves a few left. Of the lot, Cat Min and Passel Argente are unique, even though I have them in unopened Cinema Scenes--they look like figures I will probably get.