PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Edition Vader

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Starwarsshop.com (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1235826-10363300) has this guy for pre-order. Man, is that ugly! With the other Holiday figures, it'll fit nicely, but as standalone it's weird. So far, Wal-Mart, Paizo, Entertainment Earth, and StarWarsShop have been the carriers of these items. Can't they just pick one and stay with it?

Rocketboy
09-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh man, that went beyond ugly and straight to fugly!

It looks like it's covered in blood!
Why not just dress him up with a Santa hat and coat (or whatever).

bobafrett
09-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Looks like "Carrie", man and I have all three of the other Christmas sets, and none of them are discolored at all, why couldn't they just given him maybe a red cape and a candy cane colored lightsaber or something along those lines.

Grrrrr, and I'll probably give in and buy it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2005, 07:33 PM
After seeing that greeting card that comes with it, that set would've been ten times cooler than this POS. And, they could've re-used the Vader body from the CIII figure. But that would've meant they would've had to, God forbid, sculpt a new stormtrooper. :rolleyes:

Slicker
09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Looks like a damn re-pack of the Target Lava Vader.

I too like the background. It's funny seeing the Executor bridge decked out in festive colors.

mastermatt24
09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Do I really need another repainted vader??? Nope. Ill pass..

Ji'dai
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't know what to say about that thing. All red?! Man, that's crazy. He needs a normal color scheme with a Santa hat and bag o'er the shoulder with lightsabers sticking out of it. The base and cardback is the only clue that it's a Holiday Edition figure.

Hasbro isn't even trying any more. But hey, they don't have to - they know they have plenty of imusthaveitandi'llpayanypricesoletmebendoverforyou-collectors by the short hairs.

Lord Malakite
09-13-2005, 09:55 PM
This "Holiday Vader figure" takes the cake as crap compared to the "Holiday Vader picture" I thought this figure was going to be based on from "Return of the Jedi Weekly Issue 28."

InsaneJediGirl
09-13-2005, 11:03 PM
I'll certainly pass on this as well. I love Darth Vader,but this is crap. I could buy a cheap Vader figure and spray paint it for less. Probably look better too :)

Malakite,much better Vader. Shame they couldnt have done something like that to match Santa Yoda.

Turbowars
09-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Would you guys feel differently about it if Vader was Vac-metaled? I know I would.

I dig the card and that's about it, but I'll get one.

Lord Malakite
09-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I'll admit it would look better if it was Vac-Metal, but I still doubt I'd change my mind over it considering the price point.

Kidhuman
09-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Dude, I dont know what to say. I love Lava figures all of a sudden. This was uncalled for.

trandoshan666
09-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Wow, that thing is awful. I'm sort of speechless just thinking about it. When it comes to figures, I buy just about everything, but I won't be buying that. I won't ask for it as a gift, either.

2-1B
09-14-2005, 01:18 AM
I think it's awesome and I will buy buying him for sure. Love the backing card and I'm not opening it anyway so it will look perfect like that.

I'm glad he's not "rocking" the Santa gear because I already have that on Yoda. ReindeeR2-D2 is still the coolest Holiday figure, though. :)

DarkArtist
09-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh Wow this figures really BLOWS !!!!!! What a major letown. I was hoping for the Santa Vader on the ROTJ weekly cover as well, or even a decent vader building a snowtrooper, not the Carrie inspired freak that Hasbro made. What are they thinking ????????:mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry:

dindae
09-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Good God Hasbro!!! This is utter crap. I refuse to buy this from retail. If I buy this at all it will be further down the road on ebay for less than retail. I definately do not want to show my support for this type of thing at retail anymore. Since I no longer can afford to buy everything no matter how crappy it looks then crap like this gets the boot. :frus: :frus: :frus:

JEDIpartner
09-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Personally, I HATE the Holiday Edition figures. Sadly, this Vader makes the other ones actually look good. And the fact is, they don't. This whole line cheapens the Star Wars franchise even more. Moreover, a character that is evil and malevolent should never be made "cuddly", "festive" or "cute" in such a manner... This is sad, sad, sad...

CaptainSolo1138
09-14-2005, 09:18 AM
What an uninspired turd. Painting Vader red means he's suddenly "Darth Christmas"? What about K-3PO? He's pretty much the same color. Does that mean he's the Hannukah droid?

Jayspawn
09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
It looks like a tastey candy treat!

But seriously, it looks terrible. But makes me appreciate the other Vader figures before it and how good they look. I'll be passing for sure. I'm not falling for it.

El Chuxter
09-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Man, someone really pooped without permission here.

This is utter garbage. I wish they'd have done something based on the "caroling podracers" figures. Of course, that would necessitate them actually making some podracers, wouldn't it?

mtriv73
09-14-2005, 11:01 AM
This is the biggest piece of crap Hasbro has come up with since the attack version of R5-d4. I usually buy just about everything, but if the figure they are showing is even close to the final version then it can rot in the Fan Club warehouse for all eternity.

darth cynik
09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
What the hades was Hasbro smoking to come up with a figure that looks like that!? Even Rebelscum called it "hideous"! :laugh: I mean, I think it's cool that it's NOT wearing the Santa hat, but they could have done something else with it... I mean ANYTHING else would have been an improvement. The candy cane striped lightsaber is a good idea...

ICK

xwing_5
09-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Yannow,

It is great that McQuarre is getting all of this recognition.
I love the C3PO R2, Yoda and Jawas.
But when you look at this Vader, All I see is a recast and a McQuarre painting.

The others were not recasts. They were new sculpts. Hasbro KNOWS that these will sell. Why did they skimp and recast the mold?
Hasbro is just getting cheaper than ever and know that people will buy them regardless, so they just went with what they had, painted it red, printed a couple hundred thousand McQuarree Executor decorated bridge renditions and called it a day.
People will but this.
Fortunatley not the true collectors like all of us.:thumbsup:

I can see it now on EBAY, "Collector Santa Vader, Limited edition BIN: $45.00 + $15.00 shipping.

Only thing is that the listing will be in June of 2007 and if you go to SWshop.com in June 2007 it will still be there at the original price.lol

JEDIpartner
09-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I keep looking at this crap and wondering why they hate us so much. I hate the stupid holiday figures anyhow... Bad! Bad! Bad!

jedi master sal
09-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Okay, Hasbro could add a little paint and come up with this:
http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/santa_vader.jpg

Or how about this one instead:
http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/SantaVaderSML.jpg

Really man, what they are offering stinks like baby diarhea, left out on the porch, of someone who lives in the painted desert, for four days. It REALLY STINKS!!!

It's basically a candy apple Vader or Lave Reflection Vader on drugs.

I'm NOT buying this one.

-Sal

Slicker
09-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I really like that first one Sal, is that a photoshop?

They could use that one and maybe make his lightsaber a candy cane or something.

jedi master sal
09-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I really like that first one Sal, is that a photoshop?

They could use that one and maybe make his lightsaber a candy cane or something.

Yeah it's photoshop. But it would be a fairly easy paint scheme for hasbro to do. I mean heck, if they can do the complex lines of the shocktrooper, why not this for "Santa Vader"?

Huh, candy cane for a saber, good idea. I'll photoshop that into it and post a pic.

Here ya go! (I added some other accents to the costume as well.)
http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/santa_vader2.jpg

Kidhuman
09-14-2005, 06:39 PM
That looks great Sal. Too bad it isnt what we are getting. Instead its Mr Hanky

InsaneJediGirl
09-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Although Vader doesnt come to mind when I think of Christmas,much better design Sal . Maybe you should be designing all the upcoming figures :D

The more I look at the SWShop Vader too,the worse it gets.

LTBasker
09-15-2005, 12:06 AM
The others were not recasts. They were new sculpts. Hasbro KNOWS that these will sell. Why did they skimp and recast the mold?

Actually the Jawas weren't new sculpts, they were the POTF2 sculpts with red and green clear plastic to make the eyes glow instead of yellow, and those are still available as they obviously didn't sell very well.

Hasbro should actually be able to easily realize that the cheaper they get on this stuff the less it sells. The silver figures were a cool idea until they start cheaping out those with silver-ish paint that doesn't hold a candle to the vac-metal. I mean, I'd take even silver R2 over the Silver Fett, Clone, Sandtrooper, etc. any day. And definitely the Toy Fair Vader over TRU Vader. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It was the same thing with the holiday stuff. First we got the 3PO/R2 set that while the sculpts weren't all that great at least you got two unique looking figures in a nice package. The next year? One smaller figure, higher price. Last year? Rehashed sculpts.

This year? The result of Star Wars Tampax. :beard:

abell748
09-15-2005, 07:32 AM
I dig Sal's paint op on the Carrie Vader. It atleast looks festive. Hasbro has seen that it does not matter what they repaint, rehash, and throw into a new package, sheeple will buy anything they throw out. They cheaper they go = more money to be made (i.e. Battle Packs). I wonder if they are banking on idiots to buy 5 or 10 of them to resell on ebay. Unlike store rehash, the Hotwheel scalper can't return these to the store if they do not sell. They will be stuck with a ton of Christmas spirit and a credit card payment to make in January with no profits from some poor Star Wars collecting sap.

jedi master sal
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
That looks great Sal. Too bad it isnt what we are getting. Instead its Mr Hanky

Thanks KH.

Although Vader doesnt come to mind when I think of Christmas,much better design Sal . Maybe you should be designing all the upcoming figures :D

It would be nice. I'm a designer by trade afterall and hold two degrees. And at the least you folks would KNOW there would be a true fan and collector on your side, designing this stuff. Ah, but tis a dream.

I dig Sal's paint op on the Carrie Vader. It atleast looks festive.

Yep, that's all I was tring to say. Simple enough paint application and bam it turns into something that looks like it belongs.

.....First we got the 3PO/R2 set that while the sculpts weren't all that great at least you got two unique looking figures in a nice package. The next year? One smaller figure, higher price. Last year? Rehashed sculpts.

This year? The result of Star Wars Tampax. :beard:

Wow that's harsh (but sadly true and funny at the same time)
-Sal

bkeddinger
09-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Wake up Hasbro...

I'm sure Jedi Master Sal wouldn't mind you borrowing his design! I think it might just be about time to fire the idiot who came up with your proposed design and replace him with someonle like Sal who took a smidgen of talent, photoshop, and 5 minutes to come up with a design everyone seems to appreciate.

Honestly, all it takes is a little bit of effort. Is that too much to ask for? Perhaps you should hire folks who actually care about Star Wars.:thumbsup:

Nice Job Sal!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-17-2005, 05:18 PM
At least we could have Vader hold the severed head of a jedi in the other hand, getting ready to wrap it into a festive box festooned with ribbon, but instead we get a drab Vader who looked like he was dipped into candle wax. It needs something subtle, like the fake beard C-3PO had a few years back, maybe like Vader trying to sip hot chocolate through his breathing apparatus, but instead spilling it and getting electrocuted. :squareeye

mastermatt24
09-17-2005, 08:38 PM
maybe like Vader trying to sip hot chocolate through his breathing apparatus, but instead spilling it and getting electrocuted. :squareeye
LOL! I like that! hell- hasblow could even use that old vader where you can see his skeleton and stuff! :crazed:

rich_of_the_dead
09-17-2005, 09:49 PM
ya know if thy were gonna try to make a holiday vader shouldnt his chest box and eyes been green at least instaed of "i love this:carrie vader LOL":laugh:

ronhudy
09-25-2005, 03:31 AM
They should have quit after C3PO and R2D2...it was cute and original. Everything else was just for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
This Vader is 100% crappola.

TheDarthVader
10-01-2005, 09:14 PM
It really is too bad that I collect other items that are just DARTH VADER. Because I will have to add this so-so item into my collection. I am not a member of the fan club so I will have to shell out some dough for this figure on ebay.

B.
TDV

ps if anyone wants to help, please PM me! Many thanks! :)

Kidhuman
10-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Dont think you have ot be a member of the fan club. It is available via SWS.com isnt it?

Slicker
10-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Yep. No need to go to Ebay TDV. Here's the link. Linky poo. (http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=104370;category_id=;pcid1=; pcid2=)

mastermatt24
10-02-2005, 03:30 PM
It really is too bad that I collect other items that are just DARTH VADER. Because I will have to add this so-so item into my collection.
If you dont like it why buy it? Ive been able to pass on so many things recently its been great- my wallet is full of cash! :D (mostly $1's though :rolleyes: )

Turbowars
10-02-2005, 03:47 PM
You have to appreciate that collecting to some is a illness John. Some can't say no.

dindae
10-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Once you skip one item it gets easier and easier to skip items. The idea of a complete collection is nice but when I started with this hobby Hasbro wasn't making crap like this. In fact I can't really think of blatant repack/rehashing until the saga line. Now its getting to be sad.

Hellboy
10-03-2005, 04:04 PM
C-R-A-P basically sums up my feelings regarding this exclusive. A huge slap to the face of collectors IMO.

I'm officially done supporting Hasbro and their half hearted attempts at giving us something special and unique for the holidays. At least the 3 other Holiday exclusives were based off of cards or concept art but this is nothing more than another ugly repainted Vader similar to that POS Lava Reflection monstrosity we were offered during MM. If this was simply another Vader with say a Santa hat on I would've bought one but this is just plain embarrassing and I'm surprised someone over at Lucasfilm didn't axe it after seeing the final product. :stupid:

The sadest thing of all is people will undoubtedly support this exclusive either because they have the other releases and want to continue the tradition or because it's just so awful and unbelievable they have to get one. :dis:

jaxx
10-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah...
This looks like a big steaming pile of meadow muffins! :frus:
I hate the fact that this is just a repaint of an aweful Vader sculpt. What's the deal with the POTF Vader anyway? This is lazy! The other three holiday editions were creative, based on actual art work/cards, and came in a nice display. This is aweful. I hate that they did this because I really wanted to continue the holiday collection, and now I can't. There's no way I'll be buying this P.O.S.

mastermatt24
10-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Once you skip one item it gets easier and easier to skip items. The idea of a complete collection is nice but when I started with this hobby Hasbro wasn't making crap like this. In fact I can't really think of blatant repack/rehashing until the saga line. Now its getting to be sad.
I know what you mean! I just found out that SWShop is sold out of that clone.. and guess what?? I dont really care! Does this mean Im cured??? :cry: :eek:

dindae
10-06-2005, 09:20 AM
I know what you mean! I just found out that SWShop is sold out of that clone.. and guess what?? I dont really care! Does this mean Im cured??? :cry: :eek:

It's a good sign. Guess I missed it too. I'm only allowing myself $20 a week to this hobby now so overpriced EU clone repaints don't rank high enough.

ryanvader
10-16-2005, 02:03 AM
yep looks like this Vader went a little to heavy on the hot sauce. Rehashbro put no effort in to yet another disappointing piece.:upset:

jedi master sal
10-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Hmmm, now here's a Holiday Vader worth purchasing!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6006353550&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The stand isn't great and the seller even says so (plus he'll replace it free if you like), but the figure is 300% better than what is being offered at shopstarwars.com.

Slicker
10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Now that's the Vader that I'd have liked to see Hasbro make. Even his price point is lower than the crappy Holiday Vader.

Lazer Brain
10-17-2005, 05:56 PM
wow, thats a cool xmas vader!

Lord Malakite
10-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Looks like this custom was modeled after the magazine cover picture I posted earlier in this thread.:lipsrseal

I hope Hasbro is taking notes on this.

mastermatt24
10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
The stand isn't great
I think the stand looks fine with the figure :yes:

Sentinel18725
11-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Anyone have any info? It appears that Starwarsshop.com has taken the Holiday Vader off. does this mean that they are sold out? Will it be posted again? I waited and waited and it appear sthat I missed out. It is a horrible figure but I am a completist so I must have it!!!!!

Battle Droid
11-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Hopefully it was canceled.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Hopefully it was canceled.
I seriously doubt that it was cancelled. I wonder if they sold out? I'm inclined to say . . . no.

bobafrett
11-17-2005, 12:13 AM
I still see the Holiday Jawas at EE, and they were last years Christmas toy, and were done much better I might add. Maybe Hasbro got such a bad outcry from the public, that they recalled all the bloody Vaders for a repaint job.

K M Toydarian
11-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Saw over at Rebelscum, then checked it out myself at Shopstarwars.com that Holiday Vader does not ship til Jan.!
I didn't order one, as 14 + shipping is way to much $, and I think the fig stinks... But to not even get it in time to decorate for xmas? What's the point?
I hope a ton of people cancel their preorders because of this so Hasbro sees we want quality for our money. I understand repaints are cheaper, but come on! At least make it look good. ( And they couldn't get an old uninspired repaint together in time?)
Even in the description it says "This 2005 edition is limited, so make sure you pick one, two, or three up for yourself and those on your gift list this year!"...Sorry Timmy, you'll have to unwrap an IOU this year, but at least my preorder email printout will look sweet on my mantle during the Holidays!

sease9
11-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Actually, these are still shipping on Dec 9th to all who preordered early.

I received an email from sw.com confirming this, the January date is for all the people that are trying to order now...

K M Toydarian
11-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Well at least that a little better. I can't imagine many more sales though now.

Sentinel18725
11-27-2005, 10:10 AM
The way this one was handled is just sad. I hope that they get it together next year and put together a nice new figure for Xmas. What about ewoks? They are "cute" and could easily be made into some type of xmas display (since we have already used Yoda, C3p0/r2d2, jawas, and vader).

I've got an idea;....how about using baby Luke in a 3 wisemen (jedi) manger display....or is that too Christian and not inclusive of the other holidays?

TheDarthVader
11-27-2005, 12:58 PM
That "manger" idea is too Christian, but I wouldn't mind it. :)

I ordered my vader about two weeks ago. I will post here if I receive him before Christmas. The date listed was December 9th. I think this Vader is awesome! He looks odd enough to make him interesting.

B.
TDV

JEDIpartner
11-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Have they put these on clearance yet? :rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I would be rather unChristmasy if we got these after Christmas. :sad:

Sentinel18725
12-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Well, it appears that starwarsshop.com has changed the posted release date for the Darth Vader Holiday figure to December 15. Guess the slow boat from China got a little faster!!!!

bobafrett
12-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Well, it appears that starwarsshop.com has changed the posted release date for the Darth Vader Holiday figure to December 15. Guess the slow boat from China got a little faster!!!!

Too bad it didn't sink taking these treasured trinkets to the bottom of the Sea. :thumbsup:

Sentinel18725
12-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Too bad it didn't sink taking these treasured trinkets to the bottom of the Sea. :thumbsup:
:D NICE!!!!!

JEDIpartner
12-05-2005, 09:04 AM
:D NICE!!!!!

Ditto... :o

abell748
12-09-2005, 07:20 AM
The Bloodbath Vader is now listed as "IN STOCK" on shop.starwars.com. It would be really nice if they could get a half a clue on as to when they are receiving a figure. How many dates were given for the Vader?

JEDIpartner
12-09-2005, 11:48 AM
...and how many of us really don't give a crap about this piece of dog poo.

TheDarthVader
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
ANH. Luke Skywaker. "I care."

B.
TDV

Deoxyribonucleic
12-11-2005, 03:08 AM
You guys, I got mine today. Yes I ordered it and it is the coolest thing ever! I'm really not kidding here! It's unlike ANYTHING Hasbro has ever done and it looks WAY better in person than it does in the pictures! It's so weird and I love weird. It's so RED...silvery red! And his stand is a wreath with snow around it...so cooky I LOVE IT!

I'm actually glad I ordered this one and it looks like I may be the only one who did lol

I say give it a shot, it's definitely one of a kind!

Damn, he's just so RED!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: in an Imperial formation

UKWildcat
12-11-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm actually glad I ordered this one and it looks like I may be the only one who did lol

You're not alone. I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the mail and I hope I have the same reaction that you did when I open mine. :D

timmae
12-11-2005, 07:24 PM
can't wait for mine. i'm a sucker for the otc cards. and the holiday exclusives:thumbsup:

Sentinel18725
12-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Just opened my older Holiday Exclusives figures ( had two sets of each). Didn't realize how nice they were. Now, if only Hasbro can get on the right track for this next year!!!

Deoxyribonucleic
12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
just wondering if anyone else has received it yet?

JawaJoe
12-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Got mine yesterday along with the clone exclusive. I will admit the vader does look better in person. Still, what they should have done was make the fig. like the greeting card: some rehash vader with a stormtrooper snowman. That would have been sooooo much better. So the holiday vader is....ok. Im really disappointed with the clone. That fig looked a lot better in the pictures. It has now taken the lead for worst clone away from commander gree.

UKWildcat
12-27-2005, 02:31 AM
just wondering if anyone else has received it yet?

Yea, I have received mine too. I have to say, it is much better than what I was expecting. I'm pleased!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I got mine for Christmas. I really like it! My only complaint is that I wish the base didn't obstruct the view of the decked-out Executor bridge. Also, the write-up on the back is unnecessarily cheesy. All in all, though, it's a nice addition to the Holiday Collection.

scruffziller
12-29-2005, 03:52 PM
You guys, I got mine today. Yes I ordered it and it is the coolest thing ever! I'm really not kidding here! It's unlike ANYTHING Hasbro has ever done and it looks WAY better in person than it does in the pictures! It's so weird and I love weird. It's so RED...silvery red! And his stand is a wreath with snow around it...so cooky I LOVE IT!

I say give it a shot, it's definitely one of a kind!

Damn, he's just so RED!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: in an Imperial formation

Ditto, I just bought one off of ebay. Of all other exclusives. This one drew me in strangely.

BountyHunterScum
01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
The Holiday Vader figure is the Hoth Vader from OTC that was so friggin hard to find.